Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

broom
Aug 29, 2005

ShaneB posted:

After two trips to Wisconsin where I've gone to bars with huge tap lists and tried a few flights of all Wisconsin-based small breweries, I can say that I think Wisconsin beer has to be some of the worst I've had yet.

Recent beers I've had from WI breweries include:
Milwaukee Brewing O-Gii
O'so Spike's Maple Ale
Black Husky Sproose Joose
Lake Louie Dino's Dark
Furthermore Knot Stock
Geneva Lake No Wake
Tyranena Scurvy
Lakefront IPA

Every one besides the Scurvy and Lakefront was average to outright bad, with those two beers being decent enough. I've had some Ale Asylum stuff and Central Waters stuff as well, and it's meh nearly across the board. The only brewery that I think makes dang good beer most of the time is New Glarus.

Wisconsin natives, defend yourselves, because I'm seriously disappointed.

Tyranena Bitter Women
Tyranena Rocky’s Revenge
Ale Asylum Bedlam (my go to these days)
New Glarus Moon Man
New Glarus IIPA
New Glarus Black Top
Potosi Snake Hollow IPA
Lake Louie Warped Speed Scotch Ale
Central Waters Double Illumination

Are some of my personal favorites, but I cant disagree with a lot on your list, and yeah there are definitely some bad brewery's here that are popular (Capitol, Pearl Street), but there are some gems too. And yes MI > WI when it comes to craftbeer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

broom
Aug 29, 2005

danbanana posted:

I'm sorry but this is just bad. One of the worst IIPAs I've ever had.

Not sure what to tell you, I think it has a great hop fruit balance, little malt. To me it is very smooth for 10% abv.

broom
Aug 29, 2005

Retemnav posted:

Also, lol suggesting New Glarus, c'mon that poo poo's hard as hell to get outside of WI.

Speaking of WI... http://www.mhtg.org/system/uploads/document/great_taste/2012/2012_great_taste_program.pdf

This is my first time attending and I honestly have no clue how to approach a festival like this, any tips?

edit: I'm pretty familiar with all the WI, MI, Chicago stuff...but are there any gem breweries from farther away that I should really seek out, I know part of the fun is being blown away by stuff you have never heard of/not expecting. But I don't want to miss out on something great.

broom fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 7, 2012

broom
Aug 29, 2005
Novice cellaring question. A friend of mine brought over a 4 pack of Founders Devil Dancer, we each had one and did not love it...too much booze, not enough balance, but the label says it ages well. They were in the fridge, now I want to cellar the other two bottles, is it okay to transfer this to my cellar (which is a kitchen cabinet with a bottle of DFH 120 in it) or is temperature fluctuation bad for this kind of beer. I have heard that temperature fluctuation hurts beer but I have also heard that this is overstated. Also the case says "keep refrigerated" but so do all Founders cases. Thoughts?

broom
Aug 29, 2005

Splizwarf posted:

I can't wait, everyone in the house likes it. :dance:

Did you find it ahead of the distribution wave or should I head to the store tonight?

I got it in Wisconsin last Thursday. I thought founders usually took a while to get to us?

broom
Aug 29, 2005

Modern Automaton posted:

Do yourself a favor and go to Haymarket Brewery. The stuff they brew is awesome and they have guest taps/bottles of 3F and other awesome midwest stuff.

Seconding this, Mathias is amazing, but all of their Belgian IPAs are exceptional.

broom
Aug 29, 2005

global tetrahedron posted:

Founder's Harvest is the best wet hop beer I've had this season, and I've had Surly Wet, SN Harvest, Chasin' Freshies, and Hop Trip. I don't know how Founder's does it. I've heard of bottle shops in my area limiting to one or two 12 oz bottles, though, pretty ridiculous, it's not like this is KBS or something.

Picked up a four pack last night, it disappeared quickly, great beer. Very fresh tasting.

broom
Aug 29, 2005
I too found Backwoods Bastard, Brown Sugar and Nitro Milk Stout at my local shop today. Whats the consensus on aging Backwoods, does it get better? Very excited to try all three of these for the first time tonight.

broom
Aug 29, 2005
Does anyone know what the availability of Surly Abrasive is, I see they are releasing it November 15th but am wondering how long it generally lasts (stores and their brewery). Some friends and I are planning a trip to Minneapolis December 1, but if it is not going to be available by then I might need to make a special trip.

broom
Aug 29, 2005

danbanana posted:

Also: Best IIPA on the planet. Buy lots.

Yes I completely agree, had it for the first time at the Great Taste of the Midwest in August and have been fiending for more ever sense.

broom fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 12, 2012

broom
Aug 29, 2005
Had a mini-tasting with some friends this weekend of mostly past their prime DIPA (and other hop forward beers). Hopslam was fresh and Sucks was pretty fresh but I swear it tasted better 2 weeks ago. Abrasive was still probably my favorite, just perfect balance of fruit and pine. Cannot really go wrong with any of them though, however I would suggest not letting Zombie Dust sit around for over a month; big waste. This One Goes to 11 I had fresh when it came out, hops have already mellowed a lot and tastes more like a red ale or whatever it was suppose to be, more complex sweet malt, stone fruit kind of thing now, really liked it.

broom fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jan 29, 2013

broom
Aug 29, 2005
So I walked into my local the other day and apparently the brewer had just hand delivered this.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/toppling-goliath-naughty-temple/149627/

I said wow what is it, bourbon barrel stout? Nope bourbon barrel IPA and it cost $24! I passed because the price and thought of barrel aged ale both kind of disgusted me, now I catch up on the thread and find out Founders is doing the same thing, is this the next trend? Does it really work? Should I have bought it instead of the Three Floyds Behemoth (which was only $16/bomber)?

broom
Aug 29, 2005
Had Southern Tier Choklat last night, holy poo poo it tastes like a beer Yoo-Hoo in the best possible way. Paired it with a chocolate chip cookie. Decadence.

broom
Aug 29, 2005

Had a good albeit hazy weekend.

First time having Speedway, it was truly great, everything I want in Stout, better than Black Note, but not as good as the BCBS Coffee we found the next day at a random rear end bottle shop in Edison Park, possibly a perfect beer.

broom
Aug 29, 2005

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I'm drinking a glass of Local Option Bourbon Barrel Aged Kentucky Common. I just wanted to make sure I remembered it correctly since I was several glasses of barley wine deep last time. I was not wrong with my original assessment. This beer is thick and rich. It has an awesome mouth feel with a great toffee and tart cherry flavor. Nice dry finish. A little bit of citrus. This is one of the best sours I've ever had. I'm going to get a glass every day until they run out. I wish this was bottled. I would buy it by the case with zero hesitation

I had this a few weeks ago after having 2 BCBS Coffees and 3 Cherry Ryes, I also had some trouble remembering exactly what it tasted like, but I thought the cherry and bourbon and tartness all worked surprisingly well. I will be on the lookout for it again.

broom
Aug 29, 2005
One of my local shops just released a bunch of beer "from the cellar" I grabbed a bottle of DFH World Wide Stout bottled 2010...Ive never had one before, and I think someone a few pages ago said aged WWS was their favorite non barrel aged ever? It was 12.99 for 12oz bottle...Im still going to save for a special occasion (18%!!) but should I go buy the other 5?

Also DFH no longer distributes to this state (WI), was this even legal?

broom
Aug 29, 2005

Kudosx posted:

Holy poo poo. The latest batch of Head Hunter is so good. I drink Head Hunter all the time, but the latest batch that came out just seems to be extra good. I've always considered Head Hunter to be one of my favorite IPAs beers of all time, but this latest batch (green caps) is seriously a step above every other I've ever had, including on cask at the brew pub.

Matt opened their production facility about a year ago, and he's been brewing on a much larger scale than they typically had at the brewpub, so I'm wondering if he finally honed in the recipe for larger production. Either way, something seems a bit different, and I'm okay with it.

Completely agree, got my first Head Hunter this week(trade with Bag of Sun Chips) and it was a green cap; I think it is the best single IPA i've ever had, so balanced, so smooth, grapefruit, citrus, pine, just awesome. Blew the Jai Alai that he threw in the trade out of the water.

broom
Aug 29, 2005

SUPER HASSLER posted:

It reminded me of the Old Fashioned in Madison which has something like 60 taps of nothing but WI beer. I dig that sort of thing for some reason.

They also have 100+ all Wisconsin Bottles, one import though ....

Old Fashioned Menu posted:

Imports

Grainbelt Premium, Minnesota, $2.50

broom
Aug 29, 2005

Slimy Hog posted:

I had a customer request Central Waters barrel aged Scotch Ale today, does anyone know a release date or if it's going to be worth it?

It is already available in Madison, not sure about worth, I was planning to pick one up today, will report back.

broom
Aug 29, 2005

Coco13 posted:

For those wanting to pick up New Glarus's Wild Sour Ale, you'll want to get this one too.
I am pumped to try that.

Deal.

What! I don't work on Fridays.

broom
Aug 29, 2005

Kudosx posted:

Are you guys getting the evening pass, or afternoon?

I am going for the first time this year, still have not decided afternoon or evening. Leaning towards evening because I can't get in an hour early and feel like I might miss out on some stuff, is that a reasonable concern? Any advantages to one over the other?

broom
Aug 29, 2005
Wow those sold out fast, I am going to session 2.

broom
Aug 29, 2005
http://localoptionbier.com/2013/10/29/666-minutes-ov-beer/

Well I know what I am doing the night before FOBAB.

broom
Aug 29, 2005

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

FOBAB, Local Option, Goose Island 25th Anniversary Release, Girl and the Goat (eek! Gotta keep the girlfriend in a good mood as I drag her around the city).

Whats the Goose Island release? Girl and the Goat is awesome, and they had Zombie Dust on tap when I went, also Haymarket is across the street.

broom
Aug 29, 2005

wattershed posted:

Gratuitously stolen from BA:

That's 750s of Speedway for $5.97. Absurd.

Is that Sculpin on the left? If so I am moving.

broom
Aug 29, 2005

ChiTownEddie posted:

Does anyone want a ticket to the night session of FoBAB for face value?

I think I actually do, I need to ask my buddy if he found an extra.

edit: Waiting to hear back, if he wants it I will take it and gladly throw at least a sixer of anything you might want from Wisconsin.

broom fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 6, 2013

broom
Aug 29, 2005

ChiTownEddie posted:

Cool! PM me or email me at my user name @ gmail.
I got lucky and a friend found an extra early ticket for me to use. I know 5 people going to the early and no one going to the late haha.

Just emailed you, thanks!

broom
Aug 29, 2005

ChiTownEddie posted:

Yaaay for not bloated ticket prices. I officially am going to the early FoBAB and Broom got my ticket to the evening.
I might hit up that Side Project/Off Color one, but with Goose Island's release the next morning maybe I should skip for budgeting reasons...also my liver.

Thanks!!!!!

broom
Aug 29, 2005

crazyfish posted:

Goons who have picked up this year's Le Terroir, how much was the store charging? I was expecting to pay somewhere around $15 like La Folie goes for in my area, but the store I went to was charging $24 - is this even approaching correct or was I right to walk out?

I paid 9 or 10 in Wisconsin...La Folie was 15 at the same store. I think you were right to walk out.

broom
Aug 29, 2005

WaffleStomp posted:

Gotta love Philly:

Looks like you are paying a premium for hand labeled price tags. Or are price guns illegal in PA beer stores also??

broom
Aug 29, 2005

danbanana posted:

This is true for all their non-anniversary BA'd beers.

Usually true, though I had Sixteen at FOBAB and found it pretty thin.

Glad you enjoyed midorka.

broom
Aug 29, 2005

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Pretty much. At least their barrel aged offerings are a little bit easier to get and sometimes sit on shelves, but I'd rather have a KBS over Peruvian, Breakfast Stout over Brewhouse Coffee, and Backwoods Bastard over Bourbon Scotch. It might be the Michigan homer in me, though.

Its not the homer, I'd agree on all three, although for pure coffee flavor, its hard to beat Brewhouse. Breakfast Stout just has so much else going on.

And yeah being able to buy Peruvian for a month or two is nice.

broom
Aug 29, 2005
3 cans??

broom
Aug 29, 2005

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Speaking of Lagunitas, do they ever release brewery only bottles? Do they even have a barrel aging program? I've enjoyed some of their more popular offerings (Brown Shugga, Lagunitas Sucks) but I never seem to hear about any one-offs from them.

I had a rye barrel aged Cappuccino Stout at FOBAB, so they must have some barrels.

broom
Aug 29, 2005

danbanana posted:

Good joke.

Just finished a New Glarus Wild Sour since it was brought up a few days ago in the trade thread. After only 3 months, I get a lot more out of it than fresh. It's aging wonderfully and I think I can say that at $12/4 pack, it's the best sour-per-dollar you'll ever find.

I was only 9.99!

broom
Aug 29, 2005

Vertigo posted:

So, speaking of Bourbon County...

Silly question of the day :
Local bar had it on tap on release day. So I went out with my friends, and they served it in 6oz pours for $7. Tasted like pure bourbon. The smell of bourbon was so prominent, that I was questioning if I had gotten an actual beer. It was delicious as it warmed up a bit, but still had a huge alcohol burn to it.. I was super nervous as I had acquired 16 bottles of it that morning, and wasn't that into it.

I had a similar experience last night with a new bottle at home, poured it too cold. Was kind of nervous for the first 10 minutes, but as it warmed it got way less harsh alcohol and exceedingly great.

broom
Aug 29, 2005
Maduro is world class!

broom
Aug 29, 2005

danbanana posted:

Everyone who seemed interested said the 3rd worked for them. And if you're willing to host, then let's make it official:

Friday, January 3rd. Goon Bottle share at Leafhouse's place.

Hmmmm, I was maybe already considering coming to Chicago that weekend......could I bring a non-goon or is it getting kind of full??

broom
Aug 29, 2005

Retemnav posted:

No, I know lots of people that still drink DR and haven't had a problem with any of the recent batches.

My BIF bottle was fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

broom
Aug 29, 2005

crazyfish posted:

Chicagoons, Revolution Straight Jacket drops on 1/22, and it looks like their 4th year anniversary beer is a Belgian quad which releases on 2/5. Not as intriguing as last year's phenomenal rum BA wheat wine, but at least worth a try on tap. At least I know I can buy more SJ rather than having to save up for 4th Year.

Is Straight Jacket brewery only? I cant find any details on the release.