Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

rt4 posted:

UQM is the real deal, not some halfass fan project.

There is no reason to play anything other than ur-quan masters, as far as i'm concerned it is the definitive version of star control 2. I personally thought it was kind of shameful that GOG put up the original SC2 for sale actually, and that's speaking as a huge fan of GOG in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Capilarean posted:

I noticed there are some ports of Starflight into another systems,which seem to be quite different from the PC version. What's the opinion on those? Improved or ruined?

The only one I know of is the Starflight on the Genesis, which was Starflight with better graphics and a few tweaks. I never played it myself but it's supposed to be a decent port with console-ized controls, which probably wouldn't hurt the game much.

The Amiga version had improved graphics as well but was functionally the same game.

andrew smash posted:

There is no reason to play anything other than ur-quan masters, as far as i'm concerned it is the definitive version of star control 2. I personally thought it was kind of shameful that GOG put up the original SC2 for sale actually, and that's speaking as a huge fan of GOG in general.

Good enough for me, thanks!

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Harlock posted:

Does anyone have any positive things to say about Lionheart? I've always been intrigued by the game ever since I saw it in a magazine many moons ago. I know it's supposed to be some sort of Diablo clone, but most reviews have poor impressions of it. Are there any fan made patches that improve the game, or can people chime in with their own personal experiences with it?

Basically the first act is alright (nothing to write home about, though), but after that, the game goes to complete poo poo.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Phoix posted:

I'm trying to play Arcanum but the camera keeps getting stuck for some reason. Normally it'll let me look anywhere but every so often it gets stuck to the character and occasionally won't move at all. I'm using all of the fixes linked in the OP. Anyone have any idea how to fix this?

edit: Looking around it seems like it's actually bugged when it lets me look anywhere. That's a bummer.

There are two ways to "fix" this, if I understand what's happening. First would be to play on a lower resolution, second would be to raise your character's perception (just hack the character if it bugs you too much). The game only lets you see so far and it originally ran at a fairly low resolution (800x600 I think?) so if you're playing it at a really high resolution it might seem really weird and restrictive. I understand similar (though different) problems happen in the Fallout games when you play them at a very high resolution - something about far away stuff being buggy because you're not supposed to be able to see it.

In other news, thanks for all the extra contributions everyone! I'll work on getting those added to the OP when I have time.

Edit: Had more time to get it done now than I thought. Next!

seorin fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 21, 2012

Active Quasar
Feb 22, 2011

Peas and Rice posted:

Does the sourceforge project you linked work well enough or is it worth tracking down the original game? !+@ are only $6 on GOG as well, and I don't mind paying - it looks like the project is more of a fan update, but I'd rather play an original game without bugs.

Which one should I try ? :)

rt4 posted:

UQM is the real deal, not some halfass fan project.

UQM actually has fewer bugs than the original game and includes the 3D0 voice pack, which I think most of we who played it in the day never experienced. It's a superior product so you'd be paying more for less. You also have the option of plugging in an updated soundtrack from "The Precursors". Some of their tracks are actually really good but you have to plug together the "good guys" music yourself since, for some reason, they have never released an official pack for that (and I doubt they will, given the time that's passed, now). This is easily done, however. There's also a bunch of other remixes available at the Pages of Now and Forever.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Harlock posted:

Does anyone have any positive things to say about Lionheart? I've always been intrigued by the game ever since I saw it in a magazine many moons ago. I know it's supposed to be some sort of Diablo clone, but most reviews have poor impressions of it. Are there any fan made patches that improve the game, or can people chime in with their own personal experiences with it?

The big gimmick was that it used SPECIAL (the system from Fallout 1 & 2, specifically) and was supposed to be a cRPG in the vein of those two games. Instead it launched with what was apparently a decent first act but then turned to hack and slash. If what I'd heard about it is true then I doubt any kind of patches could fix it. This was in the dying days of Interplay, just before the last gasp that was Brotherhood of Steel.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Kraustofski, that before-and-after comparison in Dungeon Siege's female models is so sad. Thank you for posting that, so I can see that things have actually gotten worse just as much as they have gotten better :(

Why are my posts always too long :smith:

Mattjpwns posted:

It's a shame the two sequels just weren't up to scratch, but I did wind up finishing their action-RPG spinoff "Keys To Maramon" in which you were hired to protect the town of Maramon from monsters that emerged from under the town's five towers each night. If you failed to stop all the monsters, various buildings would get damaged for time periods preventing you from using them.

During the day you'd rest up, gear up, train, spend time in the library reading books and figuring out how to stop the menace for good - which was great fun because you had this constantly emerging story that kept things interesting despite the game consisting of only one location. There was also a time management aspect as you only had so long to spend doing these things before it was nighttime again and you were forced back into the fray.
Ey Yo, Keys to Maramon was amazing. I remember being so mad that it got middling or even poor reviews at the time, because it was basically the first action-RPG that I genuinely enjoyed. I still have the game manual, in which I carefully noted which tower the monsters came out of on which nights--I imagine everyone's strategy by the time they realized the waves were predictable was to wait next to that tower until nighttime, leave enough space for one monster to come out before dying by your hand (if you killed them in the tower, you missed out on any loot they might drop!), pick up loot if loot, repeat until dead, then go into tower and explore the dungeons.

When I was about 90% done with both Keys to Maramon and Legacy of the Ancients (a genuine classic of the genre, the genre being "Ultima III imitations") my hard drive died hard, and I could never bring myself to spend dozens of hours on either of those games again. :( I am sure everyone has stories just like this, of course. Like how I started playing Silent Storm three different times on three different computers, and within a month in all three cases, the hard drive on that computer died, leading me to believe Silent Storm was cursed.

THE PWNER posted:

Divine Divinity is ... superior to D2 singleplayer In My Humble Opinion
Agreed. It took Diablo 2 and stripped out everything that makes sense in multiplayer but not in single-player, and enhanced all the actual RPG elements. Basically it super-rules. Beyond Divinity does not rule, if you were wondering, but it is worth a playthrough if you REALLY like Divine Divinity's combat and you want to see how the world gets to where it ends up in Divinity 2: Ego Draconis/Flames of Vengeance/The Dragon Knight Saga.

Rhandhali posted:

The setting is VERY different than what most people recall of Buck Rogers, either from the TV show or the old serials. I remember my disappointment being palpable when I rented a VHS copy of the Buck Rogers movie, wondering where my genetically engineered freaks and needle guns were.
I never thought these games were obscure, but that could just because I owned them both as did more than one person I knew (which was a rarity in the days where everyone basically just pirated everything on floppies at BBS meetings). Still, you are making me think about how intriguing it is that those games were basically a BUCK ROGERS REBOOT but one that nobody even gives a second thought, despite them being, like, awesomely fun and interesting games.

Kharmakazy posted:

Think I might hook up a gamepad and set some macros to the keys for commonly used skills. What the gently caress kind of perception skill requires me to actively search the square im standing in to see if there is a hole right under me... and searching that square is like.. 5 button presses.
The game actually comes with a built-in macro system, to give you an idea of how different gameplay was back then. Hit, uhh, shift-Fkey, do some stuff, then hit shift-Fkey again and whenever you hit that Fkey it will do that stuff again! It might be control-Fkey, not sure.

Also, Base Cochise is not supposed to be visible until later in the game, so it makes me wonder what you have done. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!?!

Peas and Rice posted:

And now for the part where I contribute to the thread:

Twilight: 2000

Dude. P&R. What. I basically had no idea there was even a game hidden in this game--I spent like six hours making awesome characters, and was so excited because the MegaTraveller 2 character generation system is my favorite in any game ever and this was just like it, and then I am in a base and if I leave the base I wander endlessly through blank fields and if I try to plot a location on my map it says I do not have a vehicle and then I quit playing because there is no game :( BUT YOU HAVE PICTURES OF DRIVING???

Still, glad to hear it is unwinnable! Still though, the manual actually highlights the skills that are used in the actual game, so if you had been paying attention you would have known which ones not to take :c00lbert:

Mq posted:

Been playing some Might & Magic 3.

First time through, so no nostalgia. I was actually surprised how well it holds up. There are some interface quirks and some annoyances here and there, but the important stuff works. The game is fun.
I have been trying for years to explain to the world that Might & Magic 3, 4, and 5 all hold up FAR better than 6, 7, and 8. Even in threads recommending old games for people to get into, there will be people like "well, you should start with Might & Magic 6, anything older would be hard to get into" and I am like NO YOU FOOLS IF THEY START WITH ANYTHING AFTER 6 THEY WILL NEVER GET INTO IT :(

Seriously, particularly in this era of retro love for high-quality sprite-based artwork, 3, 4, and 5 are some of the best games in the genre. 6, 7, and 8 looked awful even when they were new (though I still love them).

Harlock posted:

No.

(As Ornamented Death said, the beginning of the game is actually pretty great; it plays just like you expect a Black Isle game to play, with lots of fun dialogue and intrigue and mystery and decisions to make.)

(Then, and I am only exaggerating roughly 5%, you spend the entire rest of the game involved in a near-endless series of incredibly difficult combats, talk to a tree, find one more trader, engage in another hundred nigh-impossible combats, and win, without ever getting a payoff to the mysteries they established if you took the time to read the manual before playing. BUT I BEAT THE drat GAME WOOOOOO)

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Harlock posted:

This game taught my 12 old self the meaning of "disappointment".

I thought it was going to be Fallout 3. I thought it was going to rule.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

the black husserl posted:

This game taught my 12 old self the meaning of "disappointment".

I thought it was going to be Fallout 3. I thought it was going to rule.

Wasn't Fallout 3 still rumored to be in development at the time? It being such a failure probably led to the cancelation of Van Buren :(

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Speaking of Might and Magic 3, is there anything of note I should know before I start playing it? The talk about it has got me to buy the 6-pack from GOG.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Skeezy posted:

Speaking of Might and Magic 3, is there anything of note I should know before I start playing it? The talk about it has got me to buy the 6-pack from GOG.

Save a lot. There is very little direction and you will almost certainly blunder into something you can't handle at some point and wipe, it's nice to lose nothing. Otherwise have fun.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!

Harlock posted:

Does anyone have any positive things to say about Lionheart?

One time I participated in some cRPG video game knowledge contest and I won the second, "mystery" prize. When the package finally came I opened it and I started laughing so hard I almost pissed myself. It was Lionheart. This game was basically a running joke amongst my nerdier friends.

Don't play it, it's a terrible game.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I started playing Ultima 4 the other day and I'm kind of blown away. The dialogue system is a real turd but the story is so cool. Instead of the ancient evil coming back and killing you, it's still vanquished from the last game, and you don't need to save the world, just become the world's most rockin' dude and make sure everyone else knows it so they can be inspired to become rock' dudes as well.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I really dislike Wasteland, I have to say. Fallout improved on it quite a bit. I don't think I like that era of games much.

MegaTraveller, though, is interesting. I'll try playing some more of it, though I have no idea how to be effective in the slightest. :allears:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Anatharon posted:

I really dislike Wasteland, I have to say. Fallout improved on it quite a bit. I don't think I like that era of games much.

MegaTraveller, though, is interesting. I'll try playing some more of it, though I have no idea how to be effective in the slightest. :allears:
YOU SHUT UP RIGHT NOW

It is understandable to not be able to get into Wasteland, but I am genuinely surprised to hear that anyone finds MegaTraveller easier to get into. To this day I have a hard time playing MegaTraveller (2) for long before going completely crazy at how nonsensical everything about the interface and gameplay is, despite it all clearly being awesome.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Harlock posted:

Ugh, this game. Such a dissapointment, since the premise was fantastic. Basically, Richard the Lionheart's massacre of Muslim prisoners is used by some evil wizard type to rip open a vortex which drops a shitload of mystical stuff onto Europe. Fast forward to the Renaissance and you've got great potential for a fantasy-Fallout game in a world both similar and completely hosed up. Then after the devs finished up the first act the publishers decided to release it as is, and the result was a great few hours followed by a lovely Diablo clone that made other lovely Diablo clones look like GOTYs by comparison :smith:

Basically, it's KOTOR2 if the good stuff ended at Peragus.

MadJackMcJack fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 22, 2012

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'd like to hear the story behind Lionheart given that it has the black isle studios logo stamped on it.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'd like to hear the story behind Lionheart given that it has the black isle studios logo stamped on it.

Black Isle had nothing to do with it. Interplay just stamped that name on there in an effort to trick people into thinking it had anything to do with the one good remaining part of Interplay circa 2003. Using SPECIAL was probably done for similar reasons.

Some company called Reflexive Entertainment actually developed it. They now make casual games for Amazon.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

You know Star Control 2 was re-released on the 3D0 with added voice pack. But were you aware that it was also released in japan?

Adorable
Aside from that pretty unremarkable though

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Quarex posted:

The game actually comes with a built-in macro system, to give you an idea of how different gameplay was back then. Hit, uhh, shift-Fkey, do some stuff, then hit shift-Fkey again and whenever you hit that Fkey it will do that stuff again! It might be control-Fkey, not sure.

Also, Base Cochise is not supposed to be visible until later in the game, so it makes me wonder what you have done. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!?!

The only macros I can get to work are f2 and f3. f1 brings up some weird menu for dosbox. Trying to use the other macros keeps crashing dosbox. CTRL is macro button I think.

Cochise was just there, I just wandered into it.

I really hope wasteland 2 has some dedicated hotkeys and not the same "press 5 buttons to use a skill" setup.

Also, how the hell am I supposed to know who is a hirable NPC? They don't show up any differently. Why the gently caress is there a hire combat command, it doesn't seem to work on anyone but the designated NPC's which you shouldn't really be fighting.

Cousin Todd fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Mar 22, 2012

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Peas and Rice posted:

The only one I know of is the Starflight on the Genesis, which was Starflight with better graphics and a few tweaks. I never played it myself but it's supposed to be a decent port with console-ized controls, which probably wouldn't hurt the game much.

I may be alone in this opinion, but I think that the Genesis version of Starflight is the better version. It added a lot of diversity to the ship components, so instead of there just being generic class upgrades there are distinct weapons for example, and all of the mini games that comprise Starflight are just a lot easier to play and just plain better implemented than in the original. I am not aware of any story or actual content differences between the two (but it has been a million years since I played the Pc version) and it has aged pretty good. It is also pretty easy to get running assuming you can get your hands on the right rom and emulator.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I remember the genesis manual had a short story written by Warren Ellis (of all people!), about dudes on a ship striking it rich with gems cut from the flesh of giant worms that live in some kind of bush-planet.

Also driving around on the planets is so much cooler on the genesis. Starflight is one of the greats on the system.

But apparently there was a sequel?! Getting on that now.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Kharmakazy posted:

The only macros I can get to work are f2 and f3. f1 brings up some weird menu for dosbox. Trying to use the other macros keeps crashing dosbox. CTRL is macro button I think.

Cochise was just there, I just wandered into it.

I really hope wasteland 2 has some dedicated hotkeys and not the same "press 5 buttons to use a skill" setup.
Respectively:

Weird, weird, true (it probably will). Yeah, I guess DOSBox is messing with it, normally you can have F1 through F10 macros (though everyone knows F1 through 4 is lockpick in the four cardinal directions, F5 is "wait" for resting, and the rest are ones you accidentally set when you drop something on the keyboard)

Kharmakazy posted:

Also, how the hell am I supposed to know who is a hirable NPC? They don't show up any differently. Why the gently caress is there a hire combat command, it doesn't seem to work on anyone but the designated NPC's which you shouldn't really be fighting.
At the time, that was probably considered innovative and immersive gameplay. "YOU ARE JUST AS LIKELY TO KILL POTENTIAL RECRUITS AS HIRE THEM!" I would say half of the recruitable NPCs in the game are pretty obvious (like when you have just freed them from chains/brought them back from the brink of death with antitoxin/et cetera) ... but I am also 100% sure I killed Christina in my first playthrough because a gang of leather jerks jumped me just as I walked past her and I thought she was their leader :shobon:

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Quarex posted:

Respectively:

Weird, weird, true (it probably will). Yeah, I guess DOSBox is messing with it, normally you can have F1 through F10 macros (though everyone knows F1 through 4 is lockpick in the four cardinal directions, F5 is "wait" for resting, and the rest are ones you accidentally set when you drop something on the keyboard)

At the time, that was probably considered innovative and immersive gameplay. "YOU ARE JUST AS LIKELY TO KILL POTENTIAL RECRUITS AS HIRE THEM!" I would say half of the recruitable NPCs in the game are pretty obvious (like when you have just freed them from chains/brought them back from the brink of death with antitoxin/et cetera) ... but I am also 100% sure I killed Christina in my first playthrough because a gang of leather jerks jumped me just as I walked past her and I thought she was their leader :shobon:

I have f2 set as perception in square, f3 set to break something in some direction. I just have president obama break down doors instead of picking them. He has like 50 strength. OBAMA SMASH!

I did get christina by accident sort of. I have obama not attack sometimes because he gets more xp and is ranked higher than me... That time I set him to hire for shits and giggles and she left with me. No idea who she is, or why she joined up. Not sure where the hell she went either... Don't know who these guys are either..

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

Quarex posted:

I never thought these games were obscure, but that could just because I owned them both as did more than one person I knew (which was a rarity in the days where everyone basically just pirated everything on floppies at BBS meetings). Still, you are making me think about how intriguing it is that those games were basically a BUCK ROGERS REBOOT but one that nobody even gives a second thought, despite them being, like, awesomely fun and interesting games.

I always figured it was obscure - I only ever saw one copy in a store when they were awash with copies of the other Gold Box games. I ended up making my first online purchase to get a copy of the sequel, Matrix Cubed but I didn't finish that one out because what I seem to recall as an irreparable bug.

Years later I managed to buy the entire catalogue of the pen and paper roleplaying game on eBay. The Buck Rogers XXVc itself is tied in very heavily with the downfall of TSR and is kind of an interesting story in it's own right. It's kind of a dated setting in some ways but I think it still holds water.

Mq
Jul 7, 2005
Lazy fat bastard

Skeezy posted:

Manual for MM3 is pretty poo poo but you can just read one for MM4&5 (they basically use the same system so the information still applies). Alternatively you might find this helpful:

http://shrines.rpgclassics.com/pc/mm3/general.shtml

Section on character creation is also useful. The rest is a bit spoilery but can be useful if you get confused by something (like what do the skills do? Or if you think identification system is dumb and you just want to look up what items do).

One bit of advice: don't explore walled off areas of the starting town before first going outside and leveling up a bit. There is a reason why they are closed off.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
(hope no one minds - done a quick Dungeon Master write up)

Dungeon Master

Originally developed for the Atari ST in 1987 (and later ported everywhere), Dungeon Master was pretty ground breaking. I spent my childhood playing (still load it up occasionally now) this, and it's great.

Lot's of features would be taken for granted now, but stuff like the first person view, realtime(ish) play, mouse based interface, the drag and drop inventory system, dynamic lighting, in game character selection, skill levelling up, interactive dungeon features, party positioning, runic magic system were all amazing at the time.

It plays as a First Person dungeon crawl with a mixture of monster hacking, magic and puzzle solving, with enough variety to keep things interesting. Things are fairly intuitive and simple. All mouse based (although you'll probably figure keyboard shortcuts for things like moving) with fairly clear icons.

Unlike a lot of old CRPG's, dungeon master is pretty bug free and playable. There's not a lot of "this is great to play, but only if you know this and this beforehand". The game itself is fairly simple. The only possible exception to this might be the magic system (which if you play an emulated copy you'll have to look up the names of the runes), this is fixed if you play the remake (see below).

There are plenty of ways to play this through emulators, but I'd recommend going with the Return to Chaos remake (http://ragingmole.com/RTC/) which also includes the Chaos Strikes Back expansion and the sequel. It slightly reworks the magic system to a bit more in game explained, but is generally pretty faithful.

Go fight some weird treemushroom creatures!

Links:
http://ragingmole.com/RTC/ - a fairly faithful remake to play.
http://dmweb.free.fr/ - The Dungeon Master Encyclopaedia - other versions for emulators and all the info about the game you could ever need.

torgo
Aug 13, 2003

Fun Shoe

Underwhelmed posted:

I may be alone in this opinion, but I think that the Genesis version of Starflight is the better version. It added a lot of diversity to the ship components, so instead of there just being generic class upgrades there are distinct weapons for example, and all of the mini games that comprise Starflight are just a lot easier to play and just plain better implemented than in the original. I am not aware of any story or actual content differences between the two (but it has been a million years since I played the Pc version) and it has aged pretty good. It is also pretty easy to get running assuming you can get your hands on the right rom and emulator.

I agree. I tried playing the PC version as a kid, but couldn't ever really get into it. The Genesis version was more accessible. The inclusion of a hint book, with locations of various special items, helped a lot too. Did the PC have the special items also? Like the(not a story spoiler, but just in case) relic that let your rover automatically teleport back to the ship when it was out of fuel. If it does, anyone playing the PC version might want to look at least that one item up; it does away with what I thought was an annoying gameplay element.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Peas and Rice posted:

Starflight - AKA the best game you've probably never played or if you played it it's the best game you've ever played.

This game sounds wicked cool. It's like if Mass Effect 1 stopped focusing on combat and story and became a galaxy exploring first contact/economic RPG.

PSI-5
Aug 21, 2007

The servolator is fried.
I'm currently playing Ultima 1 on PC (thanks GOG). I'm mapping out the lands and dungeons on A3 graph paper. It's awesome. A lot more fun than I expected, even if the game is very primitive.

My goal is to work my way through all of the Ultimas (yes, even you Ascension).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

r1ngwthszzors posted:

This game sounds wicked cool. It's like if Mass Effect 1 stopped focusing on combat and story and became a galaxy exploring first contact/economic RPG.

There's a fair amount of story, it's just that the universe is so big that you can play for a very long time without advancing it or learning anything.

But basically, yes.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

r1ngwthszzors posted:

The mako in mass effect? Yeah that is totally borrowed copy paste from Starflight. Obviously, in Starflight the view was 2D, but the planets were procedurally generated just like they were in mass effect, you drove a tank, and you searched for ruins, mineral deposits and artifacts, just like in mass effect. Starflight does not have any on foot combat sequences, all fighting takes place in the ship, or on the planet surfaces against indigenous life forms (stun cannon!) but yeah,vditch the 3rd person shooting and the basic templates are pretty similar.

When I first played mass effect, it actually inspired me to go back and play Starflight.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

torgo posted:

I agree. I tried playing the PC version as a kid, but couldn't ever really get into it. The Genesis version was more accessible. The inclusion of a hint book, with locations of various special items, helped a lot too. Did the PC have the special items also? Like the(not a story spoiler, but just in case) relic that let your rover automatically teleport back to the ship when it was out of fuel. If it does, anyone playing the PC version might want to look at least that one item up; it does away with what I thought was an annoying gameplay element.

I've never tried the Genesis version, even on a ROM/Emulator set up, but the improved graphics and console controls could make the game a better experience, especially if you're not coming from the PC version.

The PC version had those items (a whole bunch of them really), and Starflight 2 added even more. I think (if memory serves) the Genesis version ended up taking some of the items from SF2 and porting them back into SF1.

Underwhelmed posted:

Obviously, in Starflight the view was 2D, but the planets were procedurally generated just like they were in mass effect, you drove a tank, and you searched for ruins, mineral deposits and artifacts, just like in mass effect. Starflight does not have any on foot combat sequences, all fighting takes place in the ship, or on the planet surfaces against indigenous life forms (stun cannon!) but yeah,vditch the 3rd person shooting and the basic templates are pretty similar.

That makes me want to try Mass Effect again except I know I'll just be disappointed by the boring three hour tutorial and walk away just like the last 2 times. :smith:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I tried to play Ur-Quan Masters. I met an alien probe that was supposed to "replicate itself and make contact with other species" and it decided that I was raw materials and attacked me.

In combat it was ten times as maneuverable as I was, my ship turns at about a pixel every five seconds, so it was literally impossible to shoot it. I died without ever actually having a chance to do anything. :geno:

I'm willing to forgive a lot in old games (I love Fallout 1 and 2, for instance) but I'm having a pretty hard time seeing the appeal here. Did I miss some crucial early opportunity to upgrade my ship or something?

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Mar 22, 2012

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm willing to forgive a lot in old games (I love Fallout 1 and 2, for instance) but I'm having a pretty hard time seeing the appeal here. Did I miss some crucial early opportunity to upgrade my ship or something?

A huge part of UQM is upgrading your ship, yes. Also the game is a lot like an adventure game in that there is sort of a correct way to do things, but they don't tell you it.

If you want to play through UQM, I highly suggest you do 3 things-

1- Be prepared to restart your game many times
2- Keep a written log of which planets are worth mining and which ones are poo poo, so you can exploit the awesome ones when you restart. The planets' resources and danger levels are not random each time you restart.
3- Keep a written log of information that contacts tell you. Locations, all that poo poo.

As far as a hint for not getting hosed over by aliens, keep track of where you are in the quadrant. There are well-defined areas for where aliens go. Once you get in their territory, you're open for attack (or conversation, that happens too).

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Ben Soosneb posted:

Dungeon Master

I took one look at those screenshots and knew that I'd never played the game, but it really, really reminded me of one that I did ... a port, or a remake, or a spiritual sequel or something. I knew it wasn't on PC (because I didn't get a PC that could play games until I was a teenager), and I wanted to say it was on 3DO, but Dungeon Master was only ported to Turbo Grafx CD. I had one of those, but I'm pretty sure I didn't have that game, so this bothered the poo poo out of me for about 30 minutes of Googling, until I found Slayer, an old D&D based action RPG/dungeon-crawler that I used to play the poo poo out of when I was barely a teen, if that old.

Then I found this video and watched the entire thing through. Oh god, that game. The memories came flooding back. Oh my god, what have you done. The sound effects, the music. I have to track this down somehow. I don't know if there's an emulator or if I can buy another 3DO on e-bay or what, but I basically have to play that again now. Thanks a lot. <:mad:>

(added to the OP, btw)

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I played through Lionheart years ago, and while it's obviously not very good at all, I never found it "worst game ever" -level of bad that people usually say. It's a deeply flawed and poorly thought out game, but I thought it was enjoyable enough to play through once thanks to the really cool and interesting world and the SPECIAL system. Then again, this was also the time when I thought that random battles in jrpgs were perfectly fine and not at all annoying and terrible.

The game also has hilariously incompetent party members, and I found it much easier to just kill everything by myself than struggle to keep some idiot alive, but I did like the idea of hacking through the countryside with Cervantes.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

In the mid-90s, we got this from Sam's Club, the greatest game collection ever put together

Dark Sun was a fantastic RPG that felt really wide open to me. Fantasy Empires was a great early 4X game, and had multiplayer support. Dungeon Hack was a great old school first person dungeon crawler. Stronghold didn't really click with me, it was OK but I didn't spend much time with it. The jewel of the pack, though, was Unlimited Adventures
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forgotten_Realms:_Unlimited_Adventures

This game let you build your own RPGs. That was mind blowing to me at the time.

We also got this collection at the same time, which was almost as good:

No RPGs here, though.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

signalnoise posted:

As far as a hint for not getting hosed over by aliens, keep track of where you are in the quadrant. There are well-defined areas for where aliens go. Once you get in their territory, you're open for attack (or conversation, that happens too).

This happened in hyperspace, literally within minutes of starting the game. I approached Earth, the Ur-Quan yelled at me, I set course for Alpha Centauri, and died before I got there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I tried to play Ur-Quan Masters. I met an alien probe that was supposed to "replicate itself and make contact with other species" and it decided that I was raw materials and attacked me.

In combat it was ten times as maneuverable as I was, my ship turns at about a pixel every five seconds, so it was literally impossible to shoot it. I died without ever actually having a chance to do anything. :geno:

No, the Slylandro probes are a pain in the rear end for everyone who plays. As far as I can tell the only way to beat them with any degree of reliability is with the super-speedy Spathi Eluder, dashing around and firing BUTT missiles at a 45 degree angle, and even then it's far from a sure thing. Luckily you can enlist Captain Fwiffo's aid before leaving the Sol system.

Failing that, all you can do is bring your flagship into combat, activate the emergency warp with ESC and hope you survive long enough to jump out.

Early on the best bet is to trade the guns on your flagship for thrusters and turning jets (you buy and sell modules for the same RU cost so there's no reason not to) and rely on escorts for combat.

Whenever I play, I reload the game if Captain Fwiffo's ship is destroyed, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Though I like the Zoq-Fot-Pik better as a race, even if their ship is rubbish. They're just so cute. :3: