Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Tell her packs still cost 50 cents :v:

Seriously though, the hobby is only as expensive as you want it to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Unknown players are the best players, it's one of the reasons I have all my game used Toby Petersen stuff. Post away.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Lumpy I know you said AHL but there are a couple Avalanche Weimans on Meigray that should be $225-250 in a month or so when their summer sale starts.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

The Toronto Show owns because I got the complete McDonald's NHL trophy replica set with the stand for less than it would have cost if I actually lived in Canada and ate McDonald's while the promo was going on.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Can Upper Deck go bankrupt and let Panini buy the leftover cutup jerseys and sticker autos please?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

lloyol posted:

Are there any products with Jets jersey patches, or will they wait until they make use of all the Thrashers jersey scraps they still have in inventory?

If they can physically get a jersey I don't see why they'd hold back. They should have been able to get a Set 1 jersey a couple months ago, or if they really wanted they could try to arrange for a player to wear a jersey for one game.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

darkwolf220 posted:

Got 2 identical packages from Panini today, so I knew they were my Zac Rinaldo rookie autos from Certified. It looks like he signed a bunch, got tired/lazy/hand cramp and decided to finish off the lot by just putting his initials on. I have one sloppy "Zac Rinaldo" and one "ZR".

There are some Rip Hamilton (basketball) autos that are literally "R" and a scribble. I think Jonathan Cheechoo has the laziest hockey auto I've ever seen, that's basically J, maybe JC.

Does that BTP card Fukufuji signed in Japanese still go for big bucks? Haven't seen one in a while.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Pretty sure those are the same six Penguins as in the six-piece jersey card, no?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

How many social signatures BizNasty cards are there? I thought it was kinda rare but they're only $15-$30 on eBay. I guess because redemptions suck?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

shyguy posted:

Just a question regarding that Broad Street Boys set and maybe more in general, when do prices usually get released for products? I'm interested in buying at least one box of it.

Given a quick search and ITG's product history I'd say you're looking at $90-$100

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Got my Biznasty twitter sigs for $12 shipped. I hope the redemption goes faster than that Derek Stepan freshman fabric (although Panini is still better than Upper Deck at that).

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

darkwolf220 posted:

I'm not moving the Crosby though. Ever.

Oh come on, you don't even like him :v:

Anyway, not a card but here's my latest acquisition. The Wilkes-Barre Penguins kept a puck for the player of the game for each win this past season. Here's the goal puck from Simon Despres' OT winner against Hershey on November 11.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Weird, do you know how big that sticker auto of dead people subset is?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Sharp_angus posted:

Just saw an update regarding ITGs Forever Rivals (Leafs/Habs) box. Looks pretty interesting. Digging the old autos but I wonder how they got them...

How old? They are probably just cuts.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Sharp_angus posted:

Late sixties I would say. And what do you mean by cuts? Like cutting the auto from another piece?

Yes. They purchase letters or checks or other authentic documents with the person's signature, cut the signature off, and affix that to a trading card.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Washington Capitals season ticket holder Pat Sajak is in the background of a Sidney Crosby card

http://deadspin.com/5932091/pat-sajak-somehow-ended-up-on-a-sidney-crosby-hockey-card

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Infidel Castro posted:

This thread is making me want to go out and buy some hockey cards though. Last time I did I think was at a Skydome vending machine for $0.35 CAD a pack.

Yeah, I haven't bought stuff in forever for a variety of reasons. I hope that if this fall doesn't bring us actual hockey it at least brings us good cards.

I did get my BizNasty Social Signatures redemption and I love it. Paul's auto itself kinda blows but a hard-signed @Biznasty2point0 was well worth $13.

Any of you guys planning on going to the Toronto show November 9-11?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Patrick Roy rookies sell in the $60s on ebay, unless they are graded 8 or 9 in which case you can double that amount.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

The ties are probably redemptions because there's no way to package them.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Do you have a Mario Lemieux rookie in all that? I'd talk price on one of those.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Gunjin posted:

Prime looks very nice, way out of my price range though.

Yup, even the patches of nobodies cost a ton on eBay. Incredible to see, though/

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Christ, what was that shipped to you in?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Gunjin posted:

he's one of the 2 caps whose auto I want and don't have (gently caress the prices on Ovie autos).

I got an Ovechkin/Chris Clark Be A Player dual auto for less than $30

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Ahahahaha the Mooterus on Guerin I love it

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I was on eBay doing random searches looking for something interesting or cheap (or both) and came upon this: an autographed picture of the fight between Ruslan Fedotenko and Colby Armstrong where Ruslan literally broke his hand punching Colby in the face.

Guy had a ridiculous buy it now which meant he had no idea what this was worth and had probably been sitting on it forever. Well, lucky for him I found it and lucky for me he accepted my super-low offer.

Now why would I bother to buy such a thing at any price? Well, because I have Colby's jersey from that fight :coal:

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

That's an awesome Gretzky. Someday I'd love to get an auto of his but I don't know if the prices will ever be right. I'm probably looking at a couple hundred bucks and the other problem is so many of his autos are low numbered or with a patch or with other players.

I'd probably have better luck with Gordie Howe or Bobby Orr. Although price be damned, I would pay so much if I could get Gordie Howe to sign a picture of himself from the Simpsons.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

thompson posted:

I'm excited to open some hockey cards with ya'll! Fun question. What's the most you ever payed for a single card?

I paid like $90 for a Sidney Crosby jersey/auto on eBay. I also got a hard-signed Evgeni Malkin auto for $50 at a show. It drops way off from there. I collect for myself and not to invest or sell so I don't go that big. I have spent around $200 on game-worn jerseys (the whole thing, not cards) of guys who are only important to me, though.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Nice find. Variants are hard to get at retail, especially now that they say how rare they are right on them. I got the Peter Forsberg Nordiques one at Target and then went years without seeing one.

I'm still mad at them for making the Gretzky Burger King variant super rare. I think the ebay average on those is like $400.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Antifreeze Head posted:

Legends hold a bit of value, but nobody really wants to give someone real money for a toy the looks like Anson Carter or Darcy Tucker, no matter what colour shirt he might be wearing.

Example: Tommy Salo variant--no bids at any price. Patrick Roy Avs third jersey variant: sold for over $600.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

This might a little old news to some people but Ducks youngster Devante Pelly-Smith got busted for stamping instead of signing his auto cards.

http://www.cardboardconnection.com/collectors-stamp-out-controversy-devante-smith-pelly-stamp-autographs

Some dudes' signatures are lazy enough as it is but this is a new low. Good for the card companies for not accepting this.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Gunjin posted:

Also grabbed myself a rookie royalty auto of Marcus Johansson for super cheap, the auto is really rushed, you can tell he was in a hurry or tired

The various sports collecting accounts I follow like to tweet really lovely autographs and football players are by far the worst. They've posted some rookie draft picks that write one goddamn letter.

Even Don Cherry did a YA KNOW SOMTIN DAT BUGS ME about how THESE KIDS can't even write their name anymore. Now BOBBY ORR, that's a signature (and for once, he's right)

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

darkwolf220 posted:

I hate hate hate that shield. Why wouldnt they cut the window big enough for the whole thing.

Yeah that's pretty bad. Like the 1/1 Paul Newman auto cut from one of the high-end sets that was clearly cut from an autographed photo

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

That's cool that net cards are back. I have one with a net piece from an All-Star Game from way back and never saw another one since.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Before anyone gets too bent out of shape over the USPS international rate hikes, take a look at what UPS and Fedex charge for international stuff, especially overseas and not just US/Canada

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Sharp_angus posted:

When I was your age, we didn't have fancy pieces of jerseys, sticks, and game-worn jocks in our cards. We had bland sticks of gum and con sarnit we loved it! :corsair:

Pfff gum. Cards are supposed to come with tobacco, whippersnapper!

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Love the Meigray tag cards. If you want, you can go their website and look up that serial number to see what jersey it's from and when it was worn.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Robert Esche once got a TTM request from a kid in his town and he just stopped by the house, it was in Beckett way back

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Ashekaban posted:

When there's only two out in the wild, you gotta make some sacrifices. It just leaves a rookie year jersey and I have one from each team.
I'm not looking forward to that ones cost.

Here you go, $3500 asking price

http://www.ebay.com/itm/04-KARI-LEHTONEN-THRASHERS-GAME-WORN-USED-ROOKIE-JERSEY-/350319555081?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5190ac3209

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I got some great patches out of Mask Collection way back when. A Jagr one with multicolor number pieces, and a Mats Sundin one from the very middle of the words on the center crest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

In-person autos like that won't resell for much because they aren't authenticated. Get him to sign whatever you want to keep the longest for yourself.

• Locked thread