Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Even better is that Amano has artwork for the Thin White Duke himself.

This looks like concept art for what would be the greatest Vampire game ever. Vampire: Bloodlines 2, Amano edition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Have you seen who they've got advertising the next COD?

Who better to advertise a game about terrorists and war criminals than an actual war criminal?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

That song was edited to match up to OWA, right? :psyduck:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Schwartzcough posted:

Actually, that sounds like a common complaint of the middle span of Final Fantasies, anyway.
FF6- "World of Balance was great, but the World of Ruin is just unfocused wandering."
FF7- "Midgar was awesome, but then it turns into another generic JRPG world and more incoherent as the story goes on."
FF8- "The Child soldier thing was great, but then it all goes to poo poo after the assassination mission."
FF9- "The first two disks were great, but the last two were just bleh."

Non-linear exploration and progression is considered a negative? :psyduck:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Even if it's just a dumb theory, the fact is that FF8's story is such poo poo that "Squall is dead" actually makes it better.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

^^^ Exactly, it's an "ultimate" weapon, not a "best for this one thing but not those other things" weapon. When you equip it things should just die; like the cursed weapons in Tales games where, once uncursed, they can become beyond game-breakingly powerful since they have atk = number of enemies defeated by the character (and IIRC, it's a 5 or 6 digit counter depending on the game).

Himuro posted:

Haha. In short, I agree with WTFits. FF8 is a game that repeatedly uses a specific storytelling technique where they don't explain basic poo poo because they expect the player to be on the ball. It's painfully obvious that is how Squall is alive. He was needed for interrogation, what does Edea gain from his death? Nothing. Maybe they could have added a "Maybe they healed me? But for what?" after the "no wound?" line, maybe not. But the logic is already there and merits zero questioning beyond petty fan discussion.

What could they care to gain from interrogating Squall, excluding any fun they may find in the activity?

Edea knows who sent him and the others.
She knows why.
She has Siefer, who can tell her everything about the organization if he hasn't already.
She can beat the best that her enemy could throw at her.
...etc.

I mean, the things that people usually want to ask an assassin, she already knows and killing the assassin with her own hands in front of all those people would reinforce the "nobody better gently caress with me, ever" presence she had.

The answer, of course, is that FF8's story was written by someone who was incompetent or doing a line every time they wrote a line.

Epi Lepi posted:

Again, I call bullshit, the game makes fine sense up until Ultimecia comes out of nowhere and you're like "Wait what? Edea's not the main villain??" I think that's on the third disc, but maybe its on the second. Yeah the story falls apart like every Final Fantasy game, but you gotta be pretty thick to not be able to follow the game immediately after Disc 1.

When did FF6's story fall apart? The Goddess Statues are the closest thing to a "what the hell, game?" thing and even those are setup and explained in some way, tying in to the game's ending and Terra's character development.

Anyone who hates Mog hates fun. Having Mog (and Gogo) in your party means you can kill enemies by having a dance-off between the two. Also Moogles are awesome. If they made a Happy Feet movie starring Mog it'd be 90 minutes of him break-dancing while enemies explode.

The only reason I'd be interested in a (sprite based, gently caress 3D eyesores like FF4DS) FF6 remake would be if they added dialogue that simply couldn't be fit on the SNES game due to size limitations. I wouldnt object to some :fuckoff: hard superbosses either. When you're using Atma Weapons, a genji glove, and offering on one character with dual Illuminas and marvel shoes on another, the challenge really isn't there.

Firaga posted:

Best FF8 theory I've ever heard is there was a gas leak in the office that they didn't discover until after the game shipped.

And over a decade later, it's still leaking. :v:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Gamefly was selling used copies of FF13 within a few weeks of launch and it was $10-15 then.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

This is what happens when you restrict job classes to race, add like five or six core stats, and expect players to be able to finish a mission without damaging enemies only using abilities with <20% hit rates, but keep the hosed-up hit% formula where your hit chance above 50% is actually exponentially higher than it says it is, and your hit chance below 50% is actually exponentially lower than it says it is.

Long story short, actually a lot easier than you might think.

The amazing thing is how FFT was built off of the experiences of Tactics Ogre and improved upon since it was a PSX game instead of a SNES game.

Yet FFTA was even more of a Tactics Ogre engine rework and it still managed to be a steaming pile of poo poo despite Let Us Cling Together and Knight of Lodis both being extremely good games.

Excluding LUCTG having the most suicidally stupid AI ever. Radlum... :argh:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Snowcow posted:

I think discs are pretty cheap to print aren't they?

Yeah they are.

Not as cheap as having no physical media to have to ship though. If the next-gen consoles don't do some heavy embracing of digital distribution I'd be amazed. Aside from saving them some overhead of dealing with physical merchandise, publishers would be able to use it in their fight against used game stores since people won't be able to trade in something registered to their system.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Fungah! posted:

Spoony bard was in the SNES version of FFIV, dude. All FFV gave us was princess Salsa

The original FF5 names also gave us Butz and Exdeath, instead of Bartz and Exodus.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Azure_Horizon posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVX0OUO9ptU

Oh Square, you are still gods of visual design.

Looks nice, shame that being able to make pretty FMVs doesn't translate in to making good games; especially in the case of Square.

There's nothing of real interest in that video, it's just a pretty tech demo. When they make a mainline FF that isn't poo poo then I'll be impressed. Or better yet maybe they can finally go bankrupt and have their IPs sold off to others to salvage. Ivalice could go back to Matsuno, they could just drop the Final Fantasy name entirely to make more games like FFTA. Hell playing one game set in the time of Ajora would be cool even if we know how it'll ultimately end.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

bef posted:

Is final fantasy tactics advance any good? I've heard good (and difficult) things about the one on the playstation but I was wondering if the gba version holds up as well.

If you want a good tactics game for GBA/Gc just get the Tactics Ogre game(s?) instead. It's pretty much the exact same engine, only a good game instead of whatever the christ FFTA tried to be.

Moldy Taxes posted:

Would you happen to know if the iOS version of War of the Lions has the same issues with framerate that the PSP version has?

It does.

Hope you like waiting an extra 5-10 seconds when you cast protect on your group. :sigh:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Really? It's running off of flash memory, that fixes it on the PSP.

Oh right, Square.

Yeah I can't really get how a PS1 game would have slowdown on modern hardware. It'd be like having FF1 run slowly on a GBA; even if it's being emulated somewhat the hardware itself is a hell of a lot more powerful than the original console.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Ragequit posted:

This is no joke. I installed this a day or two after it was released and it's seriously night and day. It will make you fall in love with FFT all over again.

Shame this doesn't help a the iOS versions.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Die Laughing posted:

Played FFVI for the first time before this play through of FFIX, and I made my roomie put up with me using Mog (who I named Barf)at every available opportunity. Him and Snake-Eyes were my favorites.

Really fun game. Wish I discovered RPGs before Playstation. Earthbound is next on our two player RPG list. I'm interested in seeing what all the hype is about.

Don't try to take Earthbound seriously when you play it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Minrad posted:

Still, I'd love to do a four job fiesta of FF3 if it gets an NA release. I can't stand playing on that small NDS screen anymore and don't really want a 3DS.

I'm not sure this would even be possible. I know Dark Cloud isn't as stupid to fight as the NES version, but I can't see how you'd do enough damage with certain party setups if you end up with little to no healing classes in your fiesta.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I just dicked around with FF4 DS again after it sat in my shelf for a few months, I've never played it before. Is it just me or is this game way harder than others in the series? I'm only a couple hours in and the underground waterway was a huge pain in the rear end. Then I got to the boss and it nearly oneshot Rydia, who died and missed out on fight exp because I ran out of pheonix downs. Now she's even further behind at 15 while Cecil is 19 and Tellah was 18. I also had a really hard time when I first got her and she was way underlevelled, I had to grind for a good 45 minutes to get comfortable with fights and I was still having to use magic all the time in the waterway on random mobs. Now I have Edward in the same situation.

And what's with this game and terrifying boss monsters? The octomammoth and antlion are both horrible. :gonk:

In general it's harder but the difficulty's inconsistent as hell. Some boss fights will be absurdly easy while others (like Leviathan and CPU) are pretty loving dumb. CPU is especially annoying because it will one shot everyone (except cecil) when the fight first starts unless you have people defend in the very small window of time before it attacks. If cecil/rydia/edge survive you just attack/bahamut/throw and it'll likely be dead. Having those 3 survive, or get revived in time before anything else attacks is a pain though. Leveling to have everyone survive the attack without relying on RNG damage taken would probably bore you to death.

Then you get back to the moon, give Rosa Omnicast, and breeze through the rest of the game because half the enemies on the moon will kill themselves with magic (due to omnicasted wall) while they others just flail away at Cecil who you kept on perma-guard with counter on top of it.

Augments are both cool and terrible in the game, and all the good ones you won't get unless you're looking for them (in a walkthrough) because nobody's going to normally use augments on temporary characters. Then again they might if NG+ didn't have a cap on the number of runs.

FF4 DS gets an A for effort but it's ultimately the only real conclusion one could expect from SE at this point.

Toad on a Hat posted:

I loved Mystic Quest and I still replay it from time to time. Sure it was linear and pretty damned easy (babby's first RPG) but it had some great music and the storyline wasn't total crap.

It was made as a way to get people introduced to RPGs and yeah, it had some of the best RPG Music on the SNES by a long shot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOTI8j1egZg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er0cGN8cO6w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkVVkUgjy0E

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Barudak posted:

After Years is terrible in plot and mechanics and it feels horribly, horribly slapped together. Assuming its cannon it also makes it so that everyone in FFVI died to the final boss of After Years and the final boss is terrible.

It's fan service/fic in game form because they knew people would buy it. I was going to buy it but my Wii has an error that won't let it use the store (and gently caress nintendo's $80 repair offer) so I watched a let's play on youtube.

Not sure which was worse, the game, or the person playing it who was about as :effort: and bad at games as a gaming journalist. It made me glad I didn't waste money on it though.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

XIII's bad, but it's even more simple because the first 20 hours are pressing X through trivial battles where you still don't have a full party or unlocked systems yet. I feel like XIII doesn't get enough due for being the absolute best PS3 screen saver of 2010.

But really, by even this decade's JRPG standards, FFXIII falls short of 'good.'

Let's be honest, FFXIII is just the (il)logical next step in gaming's abuse of quick time events.

voltron lion force posted:

I think most people in this thread will agree that while 13 and 8 have their issues they are both better than 2.

I loved FF2 NES for the sole reason that it was insanely buggy but still got released in that state. Being able to level up spells and combat skills in a single fight was funny and made for interesting atempts at breaking your way through the game. Ultima's damage was bugged which sucked, although I never did see if you could get to Mysidia earlier than the story intended. Getting stuff like Flare/Holy early on would probably be a fun new way of breaking everything.

Someone had put it and NESticle on a couple of the 486's in my highschool's computer lab so I ended up playing through most of it over the course of a few months, 15 minutes of homeroom at a time.

That said, aside from the fun of breaking poo poo, it was a horrible game but they do get points for trying a levelless system which they eventually got right for FFL2, which was a wonderful game that let you kill gods from various pantheons. Plus martial arts in that game were hilariously broken because they got stronger as the uses ran out. I think I had Mask 2-shot Asura with Punch because it had 2 uses left when I gave it to him so he did something like 500+ damage on each hit.

The only thing more ridiculous than Martial Arts was the Seven Sword. If you actually had someone with high agility and strength so that you'd hit all 7 times it was just thousands and thousands of damage. I only managed to make it drop once though, and my only non-monster was a Human M with 8 agility so they couldn't hit poo poo with it. :emo:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Someone willing to sign me up for the fiesta (hard mode)? I'd setup a twitter account for it but :effort: as I wouldn't make any other use of it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

NewtGoongrich posted:

I just signed up for Twitter to participate. It takes a few seconds sign up for Twitter and the fiesta.

Yeah I just made an account and got registered for hardmode. Apparently I could tweet without getting the confirmation mail, which is good I guess.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Hedera Helix posted:

The GBA version is considered the best by most people, due to its translation, but the sound isn't as good as in the SNES/Super Famicom version. Really, it's just a matter of personal preference.

Just so long as you don't get the PSX version...

So the only advantage for the GBA version is the translation? Wasn't there a patch that gives the GBA version the SNES version's sound/music, so you had the good translation and good music or would that stuff fall under :filez: even if it's to avoid having to get out a PSX CD for this?

Having fun watching the stream and have no idea what's going on since I can't read Japanese. :japan:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Watching the playthrough and RK was stuck on Exdeath for probably an hour, finally beat it with only Faris the Blue Mage alive and less than half health. He probably wiped 20x before that. Double casting/hitting was murdering him often.

e: Oh, my bad, it took him 4 hours to get through Exdeath's castle and the fight itself apparently. :v:

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 16, 2012

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

So pretty much the only reason to not play the GBA version is the lovely sound?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

White Mage for my first job. At least healing won't be a problem I guess. Was really hoping for blue mage. Still three more chances since I'm going hardmode. :toot:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Rasamune posted:

Got to Walse, got Frog Song, just managed to steal away the Elf Mantle, then beat Garula with little effort and got my second job...

BERSERKER :gonk:

How'd you get frog song and steal a mantle?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Just got my second job. After having to use White Mage for my first job I'm looking forward to my next job.

Oh wait it's also White Mage. Time to level a shitload I guess. :suicide:

e: White Mage/White Mage/???/??? if I get a 3rd (let alone 4th) White Mage I'm going to be so pissed.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

White Mage/White Mage/Black Mage/???.

Thank christ, I finally have some real offensive power now. Now all I need is for my Earth Crystal to be Red, Blue, or Time and it'll be all mages all the time. :hellyeah:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

White Mage/White Mage/Black Mage/Geomancer for my final team.

I've never used the Geomancer class in any playthrough of FF5. :shepicide:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Geomancer's starting to grow on me. Gale kinda sucks, wind slash hits everything for as much damage as fire/ice/lit 2 on a single target.

Then there's bottomless swamp. :allears:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Minrad posted:

God drat it, I just realized my entire party is level 16 and I'm at the Ancient Library with a blue mage.

:negative:

Time to poopsock 20 on some poor bastard.

I did the Ancient Library at level 16 with 2 white mages and 2 black mages, it wasn't bad. Having cure2 and fire2/ice2 on all 4 white and black mages helped though. Both Ifrit and Byblos went down in about 1 round each. :getin:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I love boss fights where my geomancers can use Cave In. It's like a 0 MP meteor spell. Doing 800-1700dmg four times on the dragon grass (since bio can clear away the minions it keeps creating) per use made that fight go a lot faster than I expected.

For people with Beastmasters if you want/need a bunch of XP and levels once you're in world two just save outside the castle with the legendary weapons in it, give as many people Control as you can, and control the dragons inside. Once controlled you can just make them use Flame on themselves for around 5k damage and it's magic so you keep control of them. Should be something like 2500xp per kill. Remember to save often :eng101:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Tricky posted:

!Gaia was pretty helpful in random battles and a few bosses. Once you consistently start getting Wind Slash or Earthquake instead of the single target stuff you just crap out all sorts of damage.

Is there any sort of way to boost the chances of this? Getting Wind Slash/Quake/Cave In to trigger more often would be wonderful.

e: Just got Holy and Flare so my White Mage/White Mage/Black Mage/Geomancer team is going to just :killdozer: bosses now. Geomancer has been a dark horse MVP so far. First with the 2 Cave-Ins on Dragon Grass for 4k+ each, then fighting in the fork tower I had 3 people fighting the Minotaur with geomancy and not only does it work and let the fight go as normal, but out of every attack, all but 5 were gale slash and did around 1k each. The fight I was terrified of ended up being only slightly difficult because my geomancer has running shoes and could out Hi-Pot the boss's damage.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jun 18, 2012

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Sex_Ferguson posted:

SO yeah, I don't know if this was posted, but the Theatrhythm trailer is making me want the game more. I didn't think I could like the idea of a Rhythm RPG so much, but this is really great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHqIsFHFGrQ&hd=1

Not going to lie, everything about that game looks like garbage. From the terrible character models to the actual 'game' itself.

fount of knowledge posted:

I'm rooting for you, man. There can't be too many people unlucky cursed special enough to roll up three berserkers, Risk or no. Here's hoping you can take it all the way.

With enough levels it'd be possible. 6k-7k HP berserkers with Excalibur/Rune Axe/Brave Blade(?) should do murderous amounts of damage.

I forgot to get the chicken knife (and heal staff). But who needs em? Gold Hairpins for everyone two party members to spam Flare every round while the others assist with flare/holy in between healing as needed. I really want to cheese catastrophe if I can but I can't use time magic and I'm not sure it'll matter with 4 Holy/Flare spells coming at him every round. Might buy 3 more pairs of running shoes if I can't steal more somewhere because even just 1 hasted black mage with the Magus Rod is wrecking things left and right.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Ayana posted:

That chin is something out of a nightmare. :shepface:

At least Ultros is the smuggest octopus possible, as he should be.

Edit: Also, is it just me or does Cosmos look really bored with the whole thing?

That chin takes :a2m: to a whole new level.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

FreezingInferno posted:

So I joined this FF5 Four Job Fiesta thing today! Playing on the SNES version for the first time in a good ten years.

My final job setup is Blue Mage/Berserker/Knight/Monk. Boy they weren't kiddin' about hard mode. Blue Magic rocks though, so it helps offset the fact that my classes are all physical. Shame I can't get White Wind though... it would be nice to have some healing.

Just beat Gilgamesh at the start of world 2, rather hilariously. Drained away all his MP with Magic Hammer, and he couldn't do any of that defensive magic he puts up halfway into the fight. What fun!

You can get White Wind and Mighty Guard but you have to rely on the dancing dagger to confuse stuff and then hope it uses the skill on you.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I was thinking, since I have Holy/Flare and 2 tablets, is there any reason I shouldn't just head to the Void and murder ExDeath? Since my party is White Mage/White Mage/Black Mage/Geomancer I can't think of anything else I'd need. Unless the Void lets me use Earthquake and Cave In I'm not even sure that the Earth Bell is worth using on my Geomancer since it only boosts earth-based damage and attacking to get the chance at using quake seems like less of a chance than triggering it via geomancy.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

I would actually think a Yellow Dragon would be more useful, as it uses Lightning to do 25% of all targets' max HP - for Neo-Ex, that's a guaranteed 9999 out the gate.

Can each party member capture their own monster, meaning you open the fight with 9999x4 to all the parts and then just mob up the remaining hp?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

And down he goes, ending it with the Magic Lamp because why not?

Used maybe 7 of my 22 Elixirs in the fight. Butz went in with the Sage Staff, Gold Hairpin, White Robe, and Running shoes. Holy was 3500-4200 damage a shot and he used 1 elixir. Had White 6 and MP 10% on.

Cara was Morning Star (not that it mattered), Circlet, White Robe, Running shoes. She was and Faris mainly pulled support and attacked when able. Had Black and White lvl 6.

Lenna was the Wizard Rod, Gold Hairpin, Black Robe, Running shoes. Mostly used the 3's on multiple targets and flare once it was down to two parts. Had Black and White lvl 6.

Faris was pretty much regulated to support. Earth Shaker did 1400ish damage when it went off but it was unreliable so they just mainly healed and got people up as needed. No running shoes for them as I forgot to buy a 4th pair.

The fight itself took awhile but the only risk was when Grand Cross went off. In one case it had resulted in Butz berserked, Cara frogged, Lenna Muted and Faris slept and critical. had 2 people dead while fixing the effects and that's the closest I came to dying. I knew having White lvl 6 on everyone would mean Grand Cross was the only true risk and that's how it went. Only other deaths were things like unlucky timing on Flare (which did 1000-1250 through shell) or a quick hit with Vacuum Slash on someone before they got Protected.

Any time someone got dispelled they were immediately protect/shell buffed and once the Almagest part was taken down I rarely had more than 1 person dead or under half health. Due to keeping shell on everyone Almagest was only 700-900 damage at most and I'd have someone waiting to cure 3 right after it hit (and usually someone to top off the party with cure 2 or 3 before it hit) so in that regard it was less dangerous to me than Grand Cross by a long shot. Even flare was more dangerous because it'd killed a couple people at (near) full health. It could kill Lenna at full HP and did so one time.

It was a fun run, but getting both White and Black mage classes gave me no doubt that beating the game would be doable, even if a little time consuming. Geomancer ultimately ended up being useless because if I wanted to attack I ended up going with the bell for Earth Shaker since it could do 1500 vs Gale Slash's 800, and usually a Shell/Protect or cure (or Holy) helped more anyways.

However, the the award for East Void Fight goes to Shinryu.

A lot of you guys mentioned berserking him and just reviving people. I took it a step further. I went in with 2 people using running shoes and two using coral rings. Butz with runningshoes acted before Shinryu, so tidal wave never came (instead he one-shot Butz).

As soon as that happened I had everyone else use Image on themselves, then I revived Butz and immediately Imaged him. Shinryu only got 1 hit in for the rest of the fight, and it was because I didn't re-image Lenna as soon as he'd missed her twice. Berserk + image makes the fight a total joke My only challenge left is Omega, whom whom will likely pose a bit more of a challenge. I may go grind gil to get 4 flame rings though and go from there but we'll see. I'm tempted to reg again and just worry about him on my next run too, especially if I could get classes like blue mage and mystic knight.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Anyone got suggestions for a setup to take on Omega with WM/WM/BM/Geo? I'm kind of up in the air on whether I should go with rings or running shoes since my means of damaging him is going to be casting wall then reflecting Lit3 on to him while reviving the person he kills with mustard bomb (unless I grind everyone to 1800-2000 or so HP, which I'm trying to avoid).

Any thoughts? If there's a way to cheese the fight with these classes I don't know it. Last time I killed him was via magic sword and rapid fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Dr Pepper posted:

Holy is probably the best spell period against single targets. And most bosses by the time you get it are single targets.

I didn't get this at all on my playthrough. I had never used much magic on past FF5 runs but when I got Flare and Holy my first thought was "gently caress yes time to NUKE everything" only to then see Flare do as much, or less than, a Bolt/Ice/Fire 3 buffed by a rod. Factor in a boss with a weakness and it wasn't even close.

On Exdeath my Blackmage was hitting 3k+ with those spells while flare was maybe 2700-3100, ending up under 3k more often than not. Meanwhile Butz is throwing out 4k damage Holy (8-9k in trench) for 20 MP vs Flare's 50 MP. I never realized how weak the 'ultimate' magic is in FF5 until my hardmode run and Flare needs about a 50% damage boost to ever be considered feasible.