Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

[...] and I wanted Eiko but as far as I know she can't reliably do 9999 right?

Eiko is actually one of the characters that would hit 9999 the earliest in my games. She packs some serious damage with Holy and Maduin if you gear for it — you can buy a Magic Racket and Mage's Hat soon after you get her, win a Rebirth Ring in the Card Tournament and then get your hands on a Jade Armlet and have a full complement of Holy damage-boosting gear before you even get your hands on the White Robe. My memory's hazy on when exactly the earliest opportunity to learn Holy is, but I remember it being early enough that she'd be doing mondo damage before anyone else on my team got to. Between Holy/Maduin and her superior White Magic options, Eiko's actually a shoo-in whenever I decide to assemble my FFIX A-team.

Cape Cod Crab Chip fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Sep 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

There's also the issue that the AI prioritizes launching staggered enemies, even enemies which cannot be launched (if memory serves, which I admit it might not). If you mainly control Serah in battles and build her to maximize her Magic damage, like I did, if she's in Commando mode and locked on a staggered target, she'll spend one of her ATB bars running up to the enemy to try to launch it, during which she deals no damage and her ATB bar doesn't charge or anything. By the time she reaches the enemy, Noel already launched it long ago, so she has to jump up there and deliver her piss-weak melee attack before switching to the Ruin chaining, which (again, if memory serves) is slower than Ruin spamming on the ground due to the way her casting works. That said, though, most enemies die before launch juggling becomes necessary, unlike 13. It's kind of the same thing with the concerns mentioned above, namely AI Medic prioritization and the general way the AI handles Saboteur and Synergist skills; there are actually quite a few instances where you'd rather manually input commands... but with the game being easy as it is, you'll rarely be put in those situations where you have, or really even want, to do so. Much of the time, keeping your characters in an offensive paradigm and letting the AI do its thing will do well enough.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Terper posted:

You could just cancel the attack though?

At which point you only have four Ruins queued. Might as well just mash X (or A, I suppose) on Ruin five times. Maybe it's just me but I feel that's less obnoxious.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

What it boils down to for me is that I don't like mechanics that either make power or abilities tradeable commodities, like Materia or Junctions, or where the endgame is that every character is capable of doing everything at once just as well as everyone else at all times, barring minor variations in effectiveness owing to base stats and who gets to hold the best weapon, like the License Board and, to a lesser extent, Magicite (though VI is my personal favorite despite that). People say you can specialize with the License Board, and that is true if you willingly impose constraints on how you develop the board, but my experience with it was that all you really were encouraged to branch for were the Esper nodes and whatever node held the latest good weapon you picked up. Beyond that, there was no reason not to give everyone access to staple White and Black Magic spells that everyone can make good use of at any time and it didn't take all that many LP before everyone started dipping in things that were previously restricted to one or two characters simply because the redundancy was not strictly necessary in the early game, like Protect and such. Everyone played and felt the same and no amount of willful constraining would let me forget that underneath it all, every character would and did perform the same. The dislike of "power comes from objects and not the character him/herself" thing I admit is a bizarre idiosyncrasy, but I don't like systems that either enable or encourage that Everyone Can Do Everything Well At Once, and no amount of justifying or deflecting will make that not true about 12. Maybe the way IZJS goes about it is too constraining in the other direction, I don't know, I haven't played it yet, but I know that I for sure feel that system resonates much more closely with me.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Haha what :v:

Not to start a derail about 1.3 in this thread, and I apologize if I do, but 1.3 isn't something that someone not intimately familiar with FFT (like, say, someone who says they were using "Assassins") should attempt. Better stick with the Content version for now.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Maybe (okay, definitely) the fact that I bought 7th Saga for 120 Canadian bucks back in the day combined with the fact that the cartridge I bought happened to have a defective save game battery that deleted my save after five minutes soured me unfairly on the game, but 7th Saga was a drab, poorly-balanced, plain oatmeal pile of poo poo that I can't believe someone would cite it as an example of Enix's output. I get it, this is not the Square Appreciation Station and the company lost its way a fair while ago, but come on.

Cape Cod Crab Chip fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 7, 2013

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Francois Kofko posted:

That's okay, the 100% ending is awful anyway. X-2 is one of the few games I won't sperg out for 100% on, all because of that dumb ending.

Yeah, FFX-2's requirements for 100% and the reward for doing so are both some bullshit. That said, listening to Maechen at Mushroom Rock is NOT one of those. As was mentioned, it's the right mix of interesting, self-aware and funny, and it works.

gently caress Chapter 4, though, goddamn.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Terper posted:

Huh, what? Why not?

Time constraints, most likely.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

The only way to play FF8 is to junction a strong spell to your characters' HP and not heal up from yellow health. Then, when a character's turn comes up, you use a Limit. If the Limit is not up, you press Circle (or whichever button skips the turn) and repeat until you can use one. When I was younger and had even less regard for my time than I do now, I would play through FF8 never once performing an action that wasn't a Limit once the card game became available. There was some appeal in dropping multiple 1000-damage Renzokuken strikes on a solitary 200hp Galbadian Soldier and hitting the damage cap in the first Laguna flashback.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

They also change "moogle" to "moguri" which I feel is just a loving insufferable thing to do.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

To be honest I'm mostly trusting ImpAtom's word here. I'm trying to hunt down a full script comparison to get a feel for it, as retranslation projects of FF games is something I have an embarrassing amount of interest for, but all I've found so far is a document containing the changes to names and terminology (here if you want to take a look at it). Generally speaking, though, the kind of translator who thinks the word "moogle" is an error that needs to be fixed is, in my estimation, approaching the project with the wrong attitude.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Pffft bahahaha. It's impressive that they have enough respect for the sanctity of the ~*~original glorious Nihongo~*~ to replace Moogle with Moguri, because it's a portmanteau of the Japanese words for "mole" and "bat" you see, while simultaneously having the requisite insight into the creators' original vision to gut out an entire character and replace him with an original creation of their own.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Rei_ posted:

So I'm, I think, halfway through FF13. I just beat Barthalandus and I'm now in the Fifth Ark area. I'm having a really easy time with boss battles, but it's actually like, regular fights I'm having a lot of trouble with. Like, what really effective Paradigms I should be using to make combat easier in general? What should I be opening with, because I find I'm using Lightning/Vanille/Fang and opening with Solidarity (Com/Med/Sen) but I always wind up swapping over to Combat Clinic (Sen/Med/Med) in a panic.

I also have NO idea what I'm doing with the gear upgrading. Like none of my accessories have been upgraded at all because I'm trying to figure out how to upgrade the weapons effectively still.

I'm definitely going to beat it. I'm really enjoying everything but the combat part.

Generally speaking you want to build the stagger bar as fast as possible. You should have at LEAST one Rav/Rav/??? Paradigm, as mentioned above, with the ??? being either COM or SAB. Saboteur debuffs actually help stabilize the stagger gauge, so I honestly wouldn't discard the possibility of rolling with both at the same time. The old cliche of the best defense actually applies in a concrete way here, as air juggled enemies don't attack.

Don't worry about upgrading for now. One of the many things FF13 handles poorly is the pacing of the upgrade system. All that junk you've collected for the better part of what I assume is 20 hours at this point is an insignificant drop in the bucket. Just dump everything in an accessory.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Amarant does have the opportunity to be your biggest damage dealer for a short time around the time you're headed to Oeilvert. If you've kept up with Hot and Cold (and I know you did) then that's the time you get the Kaiser Knuckles, which allow him to drop 4K damage Auras throughout the whole dungeon like it ain't no thang. I can't in good conscience keep him in my ~*~optimal endgame party~*~, but he does get his time to shine, mechanics-wise.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

If you can't hit the damage cap with spellcasters I feel bad for you, son.

I got 9999 problems but making any of the three spellcasters hit like a ton of bricks ain't one.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Gotta third the recommendation that people play DQVIII. If you read this thread and have ever lamented, out loud or inwardly, that FF can sometimes try too hard to impress with all the in medias res and plot twists and poo poo, it's just what the doctor ordered. The game feels like... it feels like it doesn't have to try to trick you into enjoying it. It's confident that it can entertain you with its premise.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

I did add "and poo poo". My point, which I suppose I could've made clearer, was that DQ8 is upfront about itself and doesn't use red herrings as much as FF games can do sometimes. Or it just does it better. Iunno, the game just felt refreshingly earnest.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

I'm not entirely sure why we never got SD3 stateside. I remember going to the local library to keep up with gaming news from the Nintendo Power issues they had (good grief, where has the time gone) and reading up on SD3 coverage. They definitely intended to bring it over, but... never did. Surely someone out there knows why.

I can tell you it's not a name issue, though, it was being marketed as "Secret of Mana 2" at the time.

Cape Cod Crab Chip fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 26, 2014

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Supposedly they're really unwilling to relinquish rights, which makes me sad.

I hate to be a downer about Shadow Hearts, but would anyone even be willing to buy the rights or make anything with them if they were given out? I can't really see anyone picking up that franchise and doing anything with it, which really is a shame because it was kind of wonderful.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Krad posted:

Atlus could make it work. :colbert:

Would, not could.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Buying the rights isn't the thing I'm worried about. Supposedly they're so tight-fisted we'd never even see a re-release or a PSN Classic thing.

Fair enough, and I suppose at some point I entertained hopes of seeing a translated version of the Director's Cut of Shadow Hearts 2.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

The article posted:

Square Enix did not confirm if the demo will be available to download the same day Final Fantasy Type-0 HD is launched.

I really really want to get excited about something, anything FF-related for the first time in a decade, but what are the odds the demo won't be ready? They gotta be astronomical.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

She kinda looked like a hot dog vendor to me, I was hoping hot dogs were making their grand return to Final Fantasy, but alas.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

There was some talk about it in the thread, starting from here. Consensus was that it wasn't good enough to justify the effort of patching it and has the common fan translation problem of the translators being way too far up their asses.

I really should track down a complete script of that thing. I'm not playing it ever, but I really do want to read it...

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

No Claude no sale

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

In a way, I'm kind of sad the Iscar Matthias thing isn't happening. It would have been a spectacular amount of work for an abysmally, uproariously low payoff and the concept of that thing existing would have been... I don't know. Some Andy Kaufman poo poo I guess. The world would have been a funnier place if some nerd with a hate boner for a comic relief character from a videogame released twenty years ago had ended up putting in the however many hours it would've taken for nobody to enjoy his effort.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

It's a demo, there's absolutely no telling that's how they even intend for it to play out in the full retail version.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

An old man being so badass he fights a sentient tree well past his natural lifespan.

It's also noteworthy for being a game where Phoenix Down usage is attempted outside of a combat or menu screen. That blew us away at the time.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

I had Odin's fate in FFVIII ruined to me by a friend who just casually dropped it out of nowhere. Just a cool, funny moment I couldn't be surprised by, just because. I wasn't mad, but it was a funny moment I would've probably been better off being blindsided by.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

How to tell someone has never played a Dragon Quest game:

They say it's grindy. (Unless, of course, the only game in the series they played was 1)

How do you describe DQ7 with any other word?

Never mind, it's "bad", forget I asked.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

The original FFT translation doesn't have "a lot of charm", it has five good lines. Most of the rest ranges from bad to incomprehensible, but I will grant that some of the terrible battle shouts have an over-the-top charm to them. "Inscribe the dead god in a rotting body... Flare!" and "The doom of a planet, Crush Punch!" are really, really bad, but in that "so bad they're good" way. For my money, though, the WotL translation is uniformly good so it takes the prize.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

And I mean, at the end of the day it's whatever I guess, but I'm still half-amused half-puzzled so many sword skills are called "____ Punch". Split Punch, Crush Punch, Blastar Punch, Hellcry Punch.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

I mean Crush Punch is not even a good skill, you never use it over Lightning Stab, it is not planet-dooming, nor it is a punch.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

Some rough patches. Riiight.

Wiznaibus.

That skill owned against Dycedarg's older brother. Owned the poo poo out of that fucker.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Hangin' out in the woods with my homeboy Trent.

Oh god these woods are haunted, Gusts all over :gonk:

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

On the other hand stealing like 600 times to max out the damage is super boring and I guess it's pretty much all Zidane would be doing for like half of the game

I dunno how/why anyone bothers to max out Thievery/Dragon's Crest/Frog Drop. The game isn't hard enough that you'll ever need to be doing that kind of damage (and there are other moves that do 9999 that don't require a ton of grinding)

Yes, but then you wouldn't have those abilities maxed out when you could and that just ain't right. Besides, I actually disagree about Dragon's Crest, that one's easy enough to max that it's worth doing. Just grind some of those little dragons outside Lindblum and Green Dragons on that plateau if the occasion ever arises and it goes by quickly enough.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Kingtheninja posted:

Here's a long time question. In in the first tactics game, what causes a characters other jobs to level up? I could never figure out why it happened. Like when you're a knight and your monk job randomly gains skill points.

Other characters earning points in the job is what does it. If character A is a Monk and character B has monk unlocked, character B will get (I think) one sixth of the Monk JP character A earns as long as they're both deployed.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Take it from someone who used to be a sub diehard: you eventually grow up and become less of a weeb.

Cape Cod Crab Chip fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 20, 2015

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

I was also told that Metro: Last Light had a superlative Russian voice track and it's the language the game is "meant" to be in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

The original SNES version of FF6 is perfectly acceptable still. The sound-restored GBA version is probably the closest there might be to a definitive version, but there's enough worth checking in the SNES release if you have access to that. Agreed that the GBA version of FF5 is the only version worth playing.