Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
So I just beat FFV Advance. Tt was a really fun game, not too hard but never too easy either, probably one of my favorite Final Fantasies. However...

I did not know that if a party member was dead at the end of the final boss fight they would be removed from the ending. That's interesting and all, but that is a really mean trick to any one who might take the ending at face value and not re-do the final boss.

Four job fiesta sounds like fun, I think I'll do it when it starts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Summons in XIII mostly functioned as an "oh poo poo i hosed up" button that does some damage and resets your team's status if you're between a rock and a hard place.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

ImpAtom posted:

It looked gross, manipulative and disgusting before release and honestly is pretty gross, manipulative and disgusting even in the actual game even if you can choose to wear just non-lovely outfits.

Counterpoint: Beards

FF13-3 is the best worst Final Fantasy.

The truly worst worst is After Years.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
The funniest thing is that you can get Squall's endgame weapon in disc 1 via card games (not easily, you had to win 20 of a certain card for the materials iirc) which also unlocks his final Limit Break. Said limit break attacks like twenty times or some crazy poo poo like that and easily wrecks most bosses in one single command, and the limit break ALWAYS happens because you skipped all of his other weapons which gave you the other limit breaks. Junctioning for max strength and HP let you do ridiculous amounts of damage beyond the scope of tens of thousands of damage.

Given how easy it is to abuse limits in FFVIII nothing was ever a challenge after I did a run using that trick :v:

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

It happened often enough that hitting multiple 9999 overkills wasn't so bad, and what FF8 are you playing that you can't junction Curaga to your HP 1 hour in and get like 4000 hp totals so you stay in limit range 100% of the time?

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I prefer the DS soundtrack a great deal in some places. Primarily the battle themes. The bass lines sound a lot better, over the SNES.

I'm the complete opposite, the DS battle theme sounds canned and unbearably farty to me, like they went a little overboard with the brass midi.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Nooooo, don't make me waste money on a PSP!!!! :(

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Having all the final fantasies from 1 through 10-2 in one place is pretty loving rad. I also have persona 3 and 4, plus the Ys RPG and a bunch of other poo poo. It's a great system and has a good library, plus the advantage of being able to stream ps4 games if you have one.

Their first problem was selling a mobile console at loving $400 starting price when the 3DS started at $250 and people thought THAT was way too pricey which dropped the latter to $180 rather quickly. Also why would I buy a Vita to play a bunch of games I already own when I can buy a 3DS and play pokemon/mario kart/kirby/zelda in 3D!!!

Vita just has no draw or marketability to outshine Nintendo's massive handheld install base while also having a higher price which makes it such a money loser when there's this expensive to make handheld that they're selling at a loss which is selling poorly anyway. People who care about having a dedicated handheld are just going to buy a 3DS anyway. I think it's understandable that Sony is dropping support.

It would have been better if Sony stopped trying to use all this expensive hardware on a handheld because I don't think many players care if they have good graphics or whatever on a console that they play 30 minutes at a time to kill time or whatever when they're not doing something better with their time.

How Rude fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 2, 2014

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Ibram Gaunt posted:

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/fabula/FF13_Portal/

Sorry if this was posted already, on phone.

Awww, no Xbone :saddowns:

I have this stupid $500 machine my brother bought a year ago and no games I want to play on it. Guess it's another sacrifice to Gaben for 13-2 and 13-3.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

chumbler posted:

You can skip 13-2 and nobody will know or care.

Still a neat announcement. I don't see a whole lot of reason to buy them again if you already own them, though.

Wonder if they will come with their dlcs.

Also you get to face off against Gilgamesh at some point I heard, game is automatically good :colbert:

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Endorph posted:

T.G. Cid is going to be DLC. Game of the year.

Only if when you first unlock him he one shots every enemy in a BMS.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

W.T. Fits posted:

He's a DLC Colosseum fight; if you beat him, you have a chance of being able to recruit him as a monster party member.

I am buying this loving game

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

abagofcheetos posted:

What in the world... I don't even know what to make of this game.

I want to buy this loving game.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Mountaineer posted:

It gets better than that. His stats are all even, and his skills allow him to fill any role whether it's fighter, mage, healer, etc. Basically you can class change him, just like FFT!
Speaking of FFT, I was initially disappointed it only had a few songs, but then I was impressed to see they made a background image for Golgorand Execution Site of all things. I love that there are so many more background images compared to the original Theatrhythm.

Is the best FFT track planned for this game? I googled the track list and it wasn't on the list :( Maybe there will be DLC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeVxbAR7mw4

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Kanfy posted:

It's one of the DLC tracks, unless Gilgamesh makes a cameo in the game that I'm not aware of.

Probably added the "Big" out of habit :v:

Oh God yesssss :getin:

I bet the ultimate track is going to be really loving stupid like Force Your Way's ultimate track.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

ImpAtom posted:

I've never seen a playlist with subs that are not just the English text but there's stuff like this:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wu6luY6mm4Y

Annoying vocal music aside, I like the English more. Troy Baker is just that good.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Overbite posted:

I think I'm the only one who thought FF15's trailer was kind of dull and not what I want out of Final Fantasy.

Yes. I want four sword dudes just chillin' talking about dates and poo poo driving the gently caress around in their awesome sports car across giant fantasy fields.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Why is everyone on Something Awful a bunch of whiny babies about trivial poo poo like whether or not someone in a Japanese anime videogame is a girl or not. Does it really matter? I don't care either way, I'm buying their games anyway.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

I don't like the phone version because it wasn't made for it. I have never been a fan of touch controls simply being a fake D-pad. It doesn't work very well. Also I didn't like the look of the game at all, the redone sprites are real ugly.

At least the monster portraits are beautiful, but yeah I don't get the art direction for player character sprites, they look lazy and bloomy as hell.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

That loving Sned posted:

What I do like is the emphasis on your party members, especially if being near them grants you access to new moves, or protection if you're at critical health. The allies in the Kingdom Hearts series were so useless that you didn't even miss them in Birth by Sleep, so this looks like a step in the right direction.

Agreed, I don't like it when AI controlled party members are only good as heal bots or super attack machines. Hell, literally in KH2 there is an ability that lets you absorb your party members into the main character and you were much much better off for it.

I like the way Xenoblade did allies, in that each were fundamentally important to the success of your team. Nobody can solo anything in Xenoblade because each character had their own strengths and weaknesses.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

SyntheticPolygon posted:

If chapter's 5, 6, 7 and 8 didn't have you face the temple bosses all over again there would be no problem. Because the sidequests were all challenging and fun and if you got burnt out you could just skip them.

You're also likely to get some big deviations in the story around chapter 6, so it at least gets rid of some of the monotony.

I heard you can turn of random enounters in that game so I really don't see the problem with breezing through the poo poo part of the game.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
I liked the Final Fantasy Tactics 1.3 because it required you to experiment with team compositions not unlike FFV's job system experimentation, and also gave the AI tools to actually fight back against the player on equal (or even quite advantageous) footing, but sometimes it went full retard unplayably hard like most "hard mods" do.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair at least it isn't underage girls in fetish outfits, the other choice for JRPGs these days.

Pretty much.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
So what was the deal with Crystal Tools? Was it only really good at making pretty things rather than practical applications like not having hallways and battle transitions? Or did the developement just be plain hosed and the designers just gave up and submitted a sub-par product?

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Schwartzcough posted:

Yeah, it doesn't really sound like it will literally play with one button, but that attacks will string together by holding a button. I'm guessing it will have at least a physical attack button, a "special" attack button, the teleporty button, and a dodge button. In Lightning Returns you could hold an attack button down and it would automatically string the hits together, or you could manually press the button for each hit and get timing bonuses. I wouldn't be shocked to see something similar.

Now granted, I was pretty psyched about being able to scroll through weapons on the fly and stuff, but guess we'll just have to wait and see.

If it gets to the point where in the game you end up going against trash mobs it'd be great to have a button that attacks sub-optimally but still kills weak enemies quickly either for farming or blowing through an area you have already been through.

That's why I like RPGs that either optionally allow you to ignore weak encounters or mow them down with one button press with an auto battle feature.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

bloodychill posted:

If you're not still saying "masa-moon" you're doing life wrong. Also, who cares about Quistis, she's a creepy stupid character with a stupid name however you pronounce it from the worst Final Fantasy.

Excuse me but lasering people to death with eye beams and giant gently caress off warps to another dimension makes her the best character in Final Fantasy history.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Mister Adequate posted:

Anyway replaying XIII in prep for playing XIII-2 and LR, still think it's not a bad game, still see lots of nerds mad about that opinion. :shobon:

It's aggressively mediocre, which is sometimes worse than bad because that's the boring kind of bad.

I like it, I just hate that you spend like ten hours in an extended tutorial for no reason with two person parties in a game all about its flexible battle system of three characters.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Leper Residue posted:

Why or how exactly Rinoa and Squall fell in love (it went from Squall going from "Whatever" to "I've gotta save her no matter what!").

I just played through this game not too long ago and iirc Rinoa initially had a thing for Seifer, who may as well be a worse Squall in that he's actively a giant poo poo instead of a passive whine ball. Then she thought he died on the announcement of him being executed and is like "whelp can't love a dead person! :saddowns:" Then Squall saved her stupid loving rear end when she tried to get Edea to wear the bracelet (stupid as gently caress but so is everyone else in FFVIII) and she instantly fell in love with him.

Maybe Squall always kind of liked Rinoa because she was kind of a foil to Squall's attitude, since she is a much more lively, less of a dick person but comes off as actively childish (like, she's acting childish and knows it) rather than the awkward "I'm a BADASS" Squall. Rinoa probably reminded him somewhat of Ellone maybe? There really aren't any indicators throughout the game that Squall likes Rinoa the same way she likes him. Maybe he realizes he took her for granted when she goes into the magic coma? edit: I actually think it's really the latter, the game made a whole loving huge deal about the magic coma thing and Squall trying to help her.

Whoever wrote FFVIII didn't really add enough nuance to what was supposed to be a focused love story, huh...

How Rude fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 28, 2014

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Endorph posted:

What sums up Squall for you is his girlfriend making fun of him while he isn't even on-screen? :v:

Everyone makes fun of Squall. There are no exceptions, whether it be Quistis, Selphie, Zell, Rinoa, etc.

Huh maybe part of Squall being so reclusive is he hates everyone around him for being loud, annoying idiots, which is pretty much his whole party throughout the game. I'd be pretty grumpy if I had Zell and Selphie constantly squealing and hopping around like dumbfucks.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

NikkolasKing posted:

Remember that Squall is Laguna's son and Rinoa is Julia's daughter.

Wait wait wait... the gently caress!?

I've played this game through three (3!) times and I don't think I've ever remembered this detail. That means Squall was peeping on his dad's dating habits....this game is creepy as gently caress. :psyduck:

FFVIII so poorly conveys its ideas and tropes that half the interesting plot things are obscured by bullshit like GF memory loss and sorceress time bullshit.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Help Im Alive posted:

Can someone please tell me how to pronounce Seifer because that always bugged me. When I played Dissidia I realised I was probably saying it wrong because I was already messing up Ultimecia (and teedus)

It's See-fer right

sigh - fer

Someone hasn't played Kingdom Hearts 2 :smug:

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

The White Dragon posted:

W.T. Fits, I like you, but I think you're giving the FF8 writers far too much credit. Squall is a standoffish rear end in a top hat because it was perceived as being appealing their target demographic at the time--I doubt anyone thought about why he's a dickbag even a tenth as much as you did just now. You make a good point, but I really don't think they were looking past "broody guy who probably spends his SeeD salary on Linkin Park CDs."

I don't know, he did provide some pretty good evidence for that theory. The writers probably didn't intend it but it's true that Squall literally had no one he could depend on ever since they were always up and loving leaving without a moment's notice.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Selphie's the best character because 1. She never complains, unlike the rest of the characters. 2. "Blow it to smithereens with a rocket launcher!"

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

big duck equals goose posted:

All the final fantasy games are stupid and have no story worth a drat. Let me break it down, yo.

Final Fantasy - Some dude travels in time or something and a bunch of idiots have to turn from babies into men by collecting a rat tail and using magical orbs to stop his evil or something stupid. Terrible, at best.

Final fantasy 2 - Something about crystals and star wars. Some evil empire is evil for no reason so it's up to a bunch of fruity nerds to stop him or something. horrible game.

Final Fantasy 3 - It's something stupid about crystals too and a fart cloud is the final boss. Enough said. 0/1000

Final fantasy 4 - A gigantic sperm on the moon is evil for no reason and demands to be king of earth so he mind controls some big football player and a old man and attacks earth with monsters. only by using a space whale to get there, evil dark knight turned into a paladin who looks like david bowie must stop the evil sperm by hitting it with a sword a couple of times. Trash.

Final fatnasy 5- omgh who cares anymore. Some dude named buttz has to stop an evil skeleton from eating crystals or something gently caress fart -negative 10million

final fantasy 6 - a bunch of stupid idiots have to stop a clown man from blowing up the world... again. Terrible terrible terrible.

final fantasy 7 - a young man confused about his sexuality and origin has to stop a metrosexual from riding a gigantic green life beam to his momma's space planet or something stupid. Awful and makes no sense. Apparently guns don't do poo poo and the best weapons on earth are gigantic impractical swords and microphones being tossed by a cat robot. Grotesquely overrated.

Final fantasy 8 - some prick and his retard friends who are annoying have to stop an evil wizard from blowing up time for no apparent reason. Also they all have amnesia and tell bad jokes every five seconds. Awful.

final fantasy 9- A evil gay boy wants to blow up the world and only a furry and his dumb friends can stop him. Boring as poo poo.

Final fantasy 10 - A dead ghost of a beach bum who got fingered by his father must stop god or something? Everyone wears a ton of belts and the dialog is always like "i love... life..." "ohum" "fart" Really retarded. -100 out of 10.

final fantasy 11 - an MMO where all you do is fight small rabbits and crabs for days on end. The story is about uh.... who cares? You will be grinding out rabbits all day for years on end. Boring as poo poo. The bosses take literal days to kill and everything is done is really complicated stupid macros /ja cure "smoke this phat weed buddy!!~ CHRONIC HEALSZ! " /alarm 21 /alarm 12/" Worst MMO of all time.

final fantasy 12 - Who cares?

Final fantasy 13 - The worst of the worst. It's about... uh... a space city ruled by a alien who is autistic or something? I don't give a gently caress anymroe its just SO BORING AND STUPID FUCKKKK

Final fantasy 14 - A mmo where literally all you do is spend hours making bread and purple lace frillys for your super gay vest. Even worse then MMO 11 somehow. The story is about once again an evil empire that is evil for no reason because "THEY ARE EVIL" who cares? Written by a literal retarded 2nd grader.

Final fantasy 15 - Japanese supermodels have a really lovely matrix game or something. Not released yet, but looks terrible. Chances are it's about space magic ghosts sucking a japanese GQ models ballsack.

:goonsay:

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Tae posted:

Failing for most of the game is basically every story in video games.

Some games are better about this, with Majora's Mask letting you slowly fix the world and making everyone's lives happier, even as you completed each dungeon the world would gradually return to a livable, plague-less state. JRPGs just love sending "YOU hosed UP" messages every. single. time a protagonist might be happy with whatever objective they completed.

It's annoying and grating as gently caress that so many games run that cliche. Can't the protagonist succeed for once? Just because x protagonist did a good job or whatever and isn't a constant sea of failures doesn't make them a Mary Sue, hell the opposite can occur and turn them into a quivering pile of Mary Sue pity tears.

How Rude fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 29, 2014

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
That's why I like the story progression in Fire Emblem, because while there are often setbacks you are still a step closer to the protagonist achieving their goals and succeeding at the end of every chapter. It's not empowering to constantly be told how dumb the protagonists are, how cosmically powerful the antagonist is, etc.

If the protagonists have no say or moving force in the story then it feels arbitrary, like nothing you do as a player matters. It's also part of why FFXIII is such an awful loving game because the writers did that to the extreme the whole loving game in favor of the antagonists. edit: While this may work in some genres (horror, adventure, etc.) it certainly does not work in a 40 hour slog fest of a JRPG.

You could also design the game to have success and failure be a choice, and the player characters have to live with the consequences, which Fire Emblem does well in both gameplay mechanics and story.

How Rude fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Sep 30, 2014

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
In Final Fantasy everyone is Goku, it's been that from the beginning, i dont know why or how you dont realize this, all the player characters go super saiyan by the end of the game.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Mischitary posted:

Final Fantasy X has a good story by Final Fantasy standards. Sure, the cutscene direction was really bad in a lot of scenes and the VO is really mediocre by today's standards but when you're coming from text-boxes and low-poly PSX models flapping their arms for a first try it wasn't awful.

Kingdom Hearts was developed largely at the same time as FFX, I'm sure, and the cutscene direction in that game is a lot better in my opinion but it could just be that there was a lot less of it. It really didn't have many, if any, FFX-esque "guy is standing around waving his arms and flapping his mouth while words come out" scenes while FFX is full of them.

Also, it may have been either way too expensive or they just weren't thinking about it at the time but it would've really helped FFX in english if they would've redone the lip movements in the cutscenes to fit the english VO. They did it in KH1, and to be honest even though I played MGS2 when it was released KH1 was the first game with VO that really truly impressed me.

Kingdom Hearts is just a much more cartoony series than most mainline Final Fantasy games, which makes sense since it's a game about Disney characters and playing an anime boy making friends with said famous Disney characters...

...I wonder what my grandparents would have thought if they saw this. Or Walt Disney himself for that matter :v:

edit: It's like, KH is a series that sounds like it was birthed by an extreme overdose of opiates and alcohol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Zaphod42 posted:

Its $14 on steam. can you get it on PSN for super cheap now or something? It was $60 retail so a new PC port costing $14 seems good to me. :confused:

Its retail price is like $15 bargain bin garbage, the game is like 7 years old.