Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I had a big payday today and decided to treat myself, I ended up picking up the Final Fantasy X HD bundle. I've played the game a lot, I think my longest run is 140+ hours. The furthest I've gotten is to fighting Dark Bahamut. Looking forward to trying it in HD. I got the official guide years ago, is it still relevant to the re-release? Did they change anything game wise, or just the graphics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I actually like the story and characters of X a lot, but I have always been scum tbf.

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 29, 2014

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Nothing will ever beat XII though, it was basically Final Fantasy: Star Wars Edition.

What's the thread consensus on XII? I like it a lot even with its major flaws, but people seem to really hate it whenever I bring it up.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I really liked the gambit system, I thought it worked quite well. Vaan was the worst part of it, bin him and make Balthier or Basch the main character. Also get rid of that awful sun stone section from the beginning.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Gamma Nerd posted:

Child characters in JRPGs are generally handled terribly, but Larsa manages to be not annoying at all and in fact rather admirable for his willingness to oppose his brother.

He's not really portrayed as a child though, he's really just a small adult.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Celery Face posted:

Larsa is a good character but did anyone else mistake him for a girl when they first played the game? I feel like I'm not alone on this. Same goes for ditching Balthier's guns as soon as they could. Guns are cool but drat are they weak in this game.

I will never not read "rabanastrian" as "rastafarian."

Guns are supposed to make up for it by never missing, but they are still far too weak.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I thought the game was only all right, but Ellie from TLoU is a pretty good example of a believable and likable child.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I have the guides for X and XII and they're quite nice, practically artbooks really.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I love all the FF guide books, they're fun to hold onto. But holy poo poo is that overpriced.

Oh my gosh I just saw the price there, that is bananas.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The combat system in XIII was redundant. You could spend time working out the best string of commands or hit one button to have the computer put in the exact same string. It was like one of those flash games where you just repeatedly press one button to win.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Gameplay and story would definitely change if Square tried to remake VII from scratch. Please register a Square_Enix account to use Omnislash.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Bullshit, you died to Yunalesca's phase 2/3 transition. Or else you're the only person on the planet who didn't.

On my first playthrough I beat her first time. All my subsequent playthroughs I died at least one though, despite being a better player.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

IS Dragon Quest VIII worth looking into? I still have a PS2 kicking around

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Leper Residue posted:

If you like that kind of game it's pretty good. There's a few boss fights that I felt were a bit bullshit if you go into them unprepared, but I found it fun, the story is straight forward, and most of the characters are enjoyable.

Is it just a straight forward JRPG then? For reference I like X, XII, and IX.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I was so certain XIII was terrible and I hated every second of it (except Vanille oddly) but the thread seems so positive on it I kind of want to try it again.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

corn in the bible posted:

No, just skip ahead to 2 or, preferably, 3

13-3 is one of the better jrpgs of the generation

I am a goon and therefore too much of an autismo5000 not to start with the first game.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

FF12 is good because Ivalice is a great setting imo.

Ivalice is a beautiful setting, I loved all of it.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Chaotic Flame posted:

The last lines of the trailer had to be chosen deliberately.

Definitely.

I quite like the voices. The music sounds really good too, especially the bit starting at 1:05 when the small airships fly over the city.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

0.6 seconds on chocobo catcher

Life is pain

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Booourns posted:

Pain is when you get 0.0 and realize you need -0.1 to win.

My brother got me XIII-2 for Christmas and I'm pretty excited to play it after reading the thread for a while. Like I've said before though, no matter what I can't not play the first game in a series. How long will it take me to go through XIII doing no side stuff? Though I am also looking forward to XIII now that I have a clearer idea of the combat i.e. it's about paradigms not attacks per se

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Hi pals I picked up the Zodiac Age on PS4 today to treat myself. I still have the piggyback guide from the original PS2 release, how reliable is it nowadays? I heard treasure locations etc. are different now but is it mainly useful still?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I got the DS remake of IV one Christmas, ore whichever one it is that has Cecil. I remember the evil doctor character being insanely tough to beat. You could cheese him easily with elixir but trying to beat him without that was super rough

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I think XII might be the most underrated game and honestly one of the best in the series especially this Zodiac Age version. The story could do with some work with how slowly paced and seemingly detached it can be though. It's easily the most real feeling world though. I was looking at the box last night and as cool as the art is it struck me as weird that they chose Gabranth as the box art. VII has the meteor, VIII Squall an Rinoa, X has Yuna and so on. IIRC Gabranth is a big deal to Basch but he's not that much more recurring than like Ba'Gamnan. Also I can't remember any of Vayne's appearances except for his one right at the start. The judges were also majorly under utilised after Ghis or whatever. I haven't played the game since it first came out pretty much and over the years I've had fonder and fonder memories of it. The gambit system was a great change from the usual turnbased system and I'm glad they tried something new. I just got to the palace breakin and the biggest change they needed to make honestly was cutting out that terrible sunstone quest so you just go from the Rogue Tomato hunt to the breakin.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Tae posted:

"Underrated" has lost all meaning if one of the best selling FF titles is called that, with the ps4 remaster selling millions

Not really. Sure compared to most games it's a smashing success but compared to the other Final Fantasy mainline titles it's rarely ever listed as someone's top FF and the gambit system is often shat on.

Mega64 posted:

It's a bit more difficult with 12 since it has a lot more people championing it, but at the same time it doesn't really get talked about or fondly remembered in its own series the same way 4-10 do.

yh yh

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The Judges rules but they spent half the game doing their own thing nowhere near you until they show up and start throwing slaps. Also Vaan kind of sucks as a main character/POV. Tidus worked far better (even if you didn't like him) because he worked perfectly as the audience lens but also had actual attachment to the overall plot. If this is Star Wars then we're playing Wedge instead of Luke for some reason.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Bruceski posted:

Having replayed the game recently I'd say Vaan ties things together a lot better than it seems, but it really needs the last part (Pharos and the final boss) to exemplify that. Until then his part of the story seems to flap loose and die a third of the way in as Ashe's takes over. He comes back in as a character right at the end, and legitimately so, I think.

It's a super long time since I played it and I really only remember up to maybe Bhujerba (first visit) clearly and then just random events etc. so I'm totally willing to trust you on this one. I do remember them rushing the final story summons though after huge gaps of time before Belias and Mateus. Really good worldbuilding, Rabanastre is one of the best fleshed out locations in an FF I've played.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I couldn't get into XIII's battle system after I realised that everything I did was the exact same as what the "auto" button would do.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

At the point I was at in the game I never would have made a different choice to the auto button though so it just felt like "you can press auto with one button or with four". Not very fun imo.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I like gambits a lot tbh and thought they were a really fun addition. You can override them as need be but I liked being able to set up standard actions and then adjusting things as you go. I also felt like the bosses were designed well around that and you had to do a lot of real time thinking and adjusting for each fight especially any non-story stuff which they put a ton of effort into. 7/12 summons were optional boss fights and then the whole hunt system and other stuff as well I'm sure I'm forgetting. The speed up button is nice when I'm buying supplies and stuff around rabanastre or have to backtrack through an area I cleaned out but I'm not using it really when I'm exploring or fighting.

I might give XIII another go if the battle system has more depth just in a different place than I realised. I just didn't like any of the characters except the red haired girl because they were all gloomy CloudSqualls. Also it was weird seeing Hope start fighting all of a sudden after whinging I assumed he'd be like Marlene or w/e.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Saint Freak posted:

The first 15 minutes of FF12 is good. Then, uh... yikes for a long, long stretch of time.

Agreed but it's a bit longer than 15 mins. I think it's good to spend sometime with Vaan between the Reks prologue and the palace break-in to get a bit of an idea who he is. The very quick Tomato hunt is plenty of time for that and then you should be sent to the place break-in.

e: no other game has a Basch Lives!! mechanic so that's another plus to xii

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

You consider snow a gloomy cloudsquall?

Maybe? I can't really remember him too much tbh. Even Sazh who seemed chill and fun really quickly became kind of miserable. I can't remember how far I got but I think it was only a couple of hours in tbh. I am definitely excited to try it again and wasn't that jazzed going into it the first time which isn't a fair review! Certainly no on grabbed me to begin with like a Balthier.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Otherworld is better than one winged angel

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Is the new Dissidia fun?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I like his English voice though it could use better direction. FF has spotty vd in lots of games.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It took them two voiced games to realise that allowing you to rename the main character was a crime for dialogue.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I think I'm going to get the piggyback guide and try XIII again after XII. I know all this stuff is online now but I really liked those guides as a kid when I was growing up and would constantly read them and play the games endlessly.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It's only an FF if you kill God with the power of friendship

I like the job system in ZA but I think they should have put some more info screens in because it means you have to google it to find out who would suit what and what each board is actually like beyond a one sentence description. You can have any character become any job you like which is nice but each job fits best with certain stats and the characters have stat variation. IMO at least having "This Job suits XYZ stats, ABC characters will have high levels in XYZ"

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I really liked Bartz in Dissidia so I hope his game is good whenever I play it. I started it once for a few minutes and thought it was funny when he was asked to save the world and just said nah

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Oh also thanks to everyone for the ZA Job advice cos the online stuff had made it sound like a way bigger deal to match characters to specific classes! I like that they enforce different license boards in XII generally because it was kind of lame if you wanted to do the late game FFX stuff every character was identical bar overdrives. It's more fun imo having dedicated classes that you alternate between in your party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The maddest I ever got at a video game was when I was 15 and playing XII. I got a chain of like 80 dudes with amazing loot in the sandsea and then Vossler enraged an elemental. I had always assumed he'd attacked it but apparently just using magic nearby pisses them off so I guess that was it, which makes sense because I couldn't understand why he'd attack a neutral. I fled across multiple maps and pretty much every character got wiped out so I was running around as Fran with everyone else KO'd heading for a save crystal. Was pretty sure I was fine as it was ages since I saw the elemental and like two minutes later just saw "Fire Elemental casts firaga" and got game over. Tore the ps2 out of the wall. So glad ZA lets me turn off guest gambits because I just got to the sandsea.