Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Dragonatrix posted:

Let's be real, the entire Honeybee Inn's totally getting cut tho. Can't have the topless staff, the weird voyeurism stuff or thread favourite gay sex session with Freddie Mercury and co. because modern FF7 is a no-fun zone.

I hope they keep that stuff in. FF7 is such a bonkers game that leaving out all of that weird stuff would just fundamentally change it.

Maybe a remake should fundamentally change the game though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Another thing I hope they keep in (And maybe clean up slightly) is Cloud randomly babbling on about Xenogears.

EDIT: Also that game could arguably use a remake more than FF7.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

TravelLog posted:

All I know is that this is one step closer to the FFIX remake I so desperately desire.

I love FFIX to death and have since I was a child, but for me it's one of those games that I can't imagine without the PSX's limitations.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Have Grahf show up as a bonus boss, yelling incoherently about THE POWER.

Yesssss. This is something I need in my life.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Cubey posted:

Them changing Cloud is the thing I'm most afraid of. They need to keep him the goofy rear end in a top hat he was originally, not the mopey emo that fans misremember him as.

Has anyone ever figured out why this happened, exactly? Like obviously KH1 and the Compilation of FFVII had a lot to do with it, but even before those really blew up I seem to recall people still thinking of Cloud as some emo guy.

It's like he merged with Squall in people's minds at some point.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Aeris is replaced by Tifa.

Oh wait.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Awesome Welles posted:

I beat FF7 again late last year and I was really surprised how well it has held up despite looking like dogshit

Hearing this song just makes me want to play it all over again too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_5zD7rhwPo

FF7's score did a pretty great job at setting the mood and tone throughout the game. Just compare that to later games where the score very often doesn't reflect what is actually happening in the narrative. FF12 has you running around the world, rushing to stop an ambitious mass murderer from obtaining massive political power and committing various genocides, and the game is set mostly to...ambient background music, meant to facilitate grinding. FF13 had characters on the run from an oppressive government that kills its own citizens, and as you're escaping them you hear cheery high tempo music etc.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

That's all true in 7 as well though.

I don't think so. It's been many years since I've played the game, but I don't recall tracks like this playing when Mako reactors were being bombed or any of the other more dramatic parts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjJvyi23xeU

In FF13 this plays while Vanille and Sazh are running away from the game's equivalents to Nazis. That isn't to say the track itself is poor, but the usage of it certainly is.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 16, 2015

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Hellioning posted:

It's also playing in a lush, tropical forested/coast area.

I mean, considering the vast majority of the game is the cast running from something or another, if you constantly wanted tense chase music sure, but that'd get boring fast.

It doesn't have to be constant tense chase music (And shouldn't be), but the music should match the tone of what the story itself is going for at the moment.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

But in 7 you're chasing down a murderous psychopath for like 25 hours and there's tons of goofy music because you do goofy stuff in between.

Separate issue. They play the goofier music during goofy scenes, not while Cloud is trying to find Aerith right before she's killed or Barret is on the way to kill Dyne or Mako Reactors are being bombed or any of the other more serious parts of the story.

Whether those goofy scenes should exist or not is different debate. Personally I think it works because FF7 doesn't take itself so seriously the entire time, and they don't stress an absurd time limit on the party needing to accomplish their goals until Meteor is summoned IIRC. At that point, yeah, being able to chill out at the Gold Saucer doesn't make complete sense. In comparison, that segment of FF13 starts with Sazh and Vanille noticing the army is in the same area, state that they need to get away, then Vanille monologues about Sazh acting like she doesn't exist sometimes or something, and then we get a peppy song about rainbows in a bright jungle location as we engage in general gameplay that's disconnected from what sets this entire segment up.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Flip Yr Wig posted:

And that tonal inconsistency can only really work (insofar as it does work) in a game with abstracted graphics and text-based dialog. Even if the remake doesn't get Nomura'd to all hell and manages to strike a consistent, yet non-pandering tone, it won't be able to have half the charm of the original. This isn't even a criticism of Square's writing and direction; it's the basic arithmetic of telling a story with highly representational assets.

"Abstraction" is a really good word to use. They got pretty creative with those PSX limitations...reminds me a lot of how silent films worked.

The quality of the remake really depends on how faithful of adaptation of FF7 Square will be going for. If they're just going for literally the same story told in a very similar way, I really doubt the remake will be worth more than a curiosity. But if they risk the ire of the fans and try something radical, then we could potentially get something unique and cool even if it ends up being totally different from the original game.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

zedprime posted:

If its any less than a line by line recreation of the original scenario specs it will be a squandered opportunity. I want a blacksploitation transplant with a gun arm yelling at Cloud that the planet is dying. I want to have a squat off with a cross dressing gym trainer. I want Hojo having no idea what science actually entails and thinking "cat + girl = breeding program and you better bet I'm going to watch!" And then chilling on the beach with all the chicks. I want to go to a hippie cooperative why my cat buddy grew up where a weird grandpa on a flying orb invites me into his planetarium to lay down the science on how the planet is going to die. I want the cheesecake catfight between Tifa and that Shinra lady on a giant cannon.

If they haven't lost the original scenario specs, they are all pure gold and should be followed to the letter.

The presentation of those will be way different though because they aren't made with a 90's mentality on 90's hardware. Games and game-making are very different now.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Nasgate posted:

Kung fury was neither made in the 80s or with 80s technology. Your logic is pretty flawed. Especially since the the goofy poo poo in ff7 is still done in games/movies/tv today.

Kung Fury doesn't resemble the kinds of movies actually made in the 1980's except on a very superficial level.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Gammatron 64 posted:

Kung Fury had like, maybe 1-2 funny bits. The rest of it was "lol that's so 80s amirite?!"

It's very reminiscent of referential Family Guy style humor.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

This is an utterly trivial note but I was talking about the remake elsewhere and I am hoping they include Gilgamesh and an optional boss fight with him. It's kinda become an FF staple at this point so why not?

Just gotta figure out where to meet him. Gold Saucer?

Gold Saucer would be the most obvious, though they could be funny and have him pop up at Aerith's church or something.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

FF13's gameplay is decent once it opens up, but it has some of the most hilariously nonsensical storytelling I have ever seen in a AAA game. FF13-2 is easier overall, but has a more open combat system from the beginning, and marginally better storytelling in that the characters actually have somewhat clear objectives. Never bothered with Lightning Returns.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

FFXIII style move around the battlefield kind of thing.

Was there ever a way to actually influence how characters moved in that game?

It just seemed kind of dumb to me to have AoE attacks in a game where you can't control where your own character moves to, but maybe I missed something.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I mostly was concerned with AoE attacks being used against you though.

It just would seem a little silly to me to take damage suddenly because Lightning just had to walk into an attack for no reason.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

DaveWoo posted:

More nonsensical than FFVIII? Wow, that's saying something.

FF8 didn't have the main villain's goal be a suicide by cop that would destroy the universe, with the party gleefully trying to kill the the villain while just hoping really hard it wouldn't end all of existence. Zell didn't randomly turn into a Hot Dog God either after betraying everyone either.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

The plot of FF13 is what happened when Motomu Toriyama watched the TV show Lost and said "I'm going to make a Final Fantasy game like this".

I'm not even joking.

Pretty much, though I actually liked the flashback structure in FF13.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

The Empire in FFXII?

Pretty sure Star Wars characters count as otherworldly.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Schwartzcough posted:

That site also has a bunch of other FFT mods, some of them pretty out there (Let's have Cloud Strife, Link from LoZ, Solid Snake, and Dante from DMC join forces in Ivalice!).

That sounds like extremely my thing. I haven't played vanilla FFT yet though- should I go through that first?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Tidus is an Aeon, which is why you can rename him.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Paperhouse posted:

I played this recently and the scene is funny because it reveals that Marlene is 4 years old, and earlier in the game Tifa asks Marlene to take over at the bar while she does secret terrorist stuff :thumbsup:

FF7Remake should have Shinra propaganda that attempts to discredit Avalanche using this information.

"Not only are they literal terrorists, they expose young children to alcohol! Those fiends!"

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

MrAptronym posted:

Though I think I am alone in not really liking Xenoblade much. Its good, I just wasn't blown away or anything.

Eh, you're not alone. I couldn't even finish finish Xenoblade before getting bored and just putting it away forever.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

MarsDragon posted:

So I'm replaying FFT and something occurs to me.

All right, so the framing story is that you are listening/reading a report by Alazam Durai that goes against the official histories. This report is based on writings from his ancestor, Olan Durai.

By strange coincidence, this report says that the enemies of the Durai family, King Delita and the Church of Galbados, are really evil and manipulative, while the true hero is this random knight no one’s ever heard of that is very friendly towards Olan and his father, Orlandu. In fact, the papers claim that not only was King Delita a commoner who rose to the throne through trickery and subterfuge, but that the Church is literally controlled by demons. Literally, controlled by demons. St. Ajora was a demon too, just because.

Consider. Does this sound like an honest recounting of history…or a 400-year old hackjob aimed at discrediting Olan’s enemies? Olan had plenty of reason to go after the king and the Church, and what better way than by saying the king had no right to the throne (he even claims Ovelia wasn’t a princess!) and the powerful church was built on lies?

FFT descending into fighting demons instead of the political intrigue is just because that’s where Olan switches from slandering the king to really sticking it to the Church. And it conveniently takes this unknown knight Ramza off the stage right when he should be showing up in the official records like his brothers.

What Alazam peddles isn’t the truth he claims it is, it’s just a way to get back at the Church that killed his ancestor. He’s not a historian, he’s Ivalician Dan Brown. Don't believe his lies!

The only lies I won't believe are Endore's. :colbert:

e;fb

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Sorry if I'm opening a dumb can of worms here, but is there any reason to play War of the Lions over the PSX version of Tactics?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Well I don't have any special attachment to Balthier as a character and didn't really like FF12's localization style (Though I don't like that game's story much to begin with), but how much better of a translation is WotL? Like are major plot points in the PSX version practically erased like in the original FF7 translation?

I already happened to have a copy of the PSX version lying around, but is WotL so much better that I'm better off just getting the game again?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Lessail posted:

Guys R=U is stupid!!!!

Actually it owns even though the text of FF8 itself ultimately doesn't support the reading.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

As someone 15 years late to the debate, care to explain why? I assume it's well-trodden ground so I won't argue in response, I'm just sort of curious what in the text doesn't support it.

I'm not super familiar with FF8 after having not played it for a few years, but the main problem is that there doesn't actually seem to be any very strong evidence to support the idea. People mention the Griever GF for example, but the game already has an explanation for it being drawn out of Squall's mind. Also, how would Rinoa have even survived into the future?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

modestmusashi posted:

I just downloaded FFVII in under 4 minutes and linked my Facebook account to Square Enix in order to play O.o

Cloud now spends first half of FF7 thinking your Facebook account is actually his own.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Madmarker posted:

I know you said that as a throwaway line, but that would actually be a cool idea for a game protagonist. The hero being conflicted about whether he is you (the player), and "remembers" stuff from your social media accounts that are linked to the game. I think a cool plot could be built around that conceit.

Hmm, I could see that as a natural evolution of what someone like Kojima has been doing recently. Might be cool.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The names of all of the enemies you mow down through the game are pulled from your friend's list.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

FF9's backstory being a hosed up version of Dragon Ball Z seemed a little out there to me as a kid.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Mog from FF13-2 owned and should get his own spinoff.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Cloud can finally face Donkey Kong in a 1v1 as he was always meant to.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Tifa owns so let's not diss her please, thanks.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Midgar looks great, though the gameplay looks a little dull to me tbh. Hopefully later trailers will be more exciting looking.

EDIT: Like the combat looks fairly grounded, Birth by Sleep-ish.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 5, 2015

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think I knew FF6 lost me when the opera scene happened and it did absolutely nothing for me. I really don't understand these people that it made cry or whatever.

Still need to go back and finish FF6 some day but I don't really understand the appeal of the game.

The Grimace posted:

Oh god, I forgot about those clock puzzles. Those are poo poo.

I remember there being a calculator on the internet for those. I didn't mind most of them, but some were certainly bullshit.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I get that (At least for the parts with the octopus), but I guess I just don't find it funny either.

Not saying FF6 is a terrible game or anything, but whatever it's vibe is I could never quite seem to get on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

That's usually not the scene people are talking about. There's a scene later on that mirrors the opera which is pretty sad, or hilarious depending on your translation.

Ah, really? Shows what I know for talking about a game before finishing it then.