Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Xander77 posted:

I don't recall the "pretending" part. IIRC, the speech went "you offer to buy the cow and horse both" or whatever, without ever going into "once you have the horse, you ride it off into the sunset".

Then rewatch it I guess?

This is literally one of the major plot points. In some ways it could be seen as the main it of the movie and it is explicitly stated. It's the literal opposite of a subtle movie moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

bamhand posted:

Oh jeez that choice in names must have been on purpose right?

Yes, I thought that was pretty obvious. The dentist/bounty hunter who rooted out the corruption of a man named Candy is pretty much Lit 101 level reading comprehension stuff. Not trying to be rude, it's a movie so things like that can easily get missed, but all the names in the film are pretty descriptive. Django actually means 'I awaken' too, which fits the character's story arc quite well.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Wait is gypsy actually a racist term? Isn't that just what they're called? Have I been unknowingly racist for my entire life?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Old James posted:

Yes, No, Yes.

Gypsy was a term applied to them because Europeans thought their dark skin meant they came from Egypt. In actuality their people originated in India and call themselves Romani.

Huh, I had no idea. There aren't too many Romani in Texas.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Zzulu posted:

yeah the country of europe is super racist. There's a videoclip of the european president calling a homeless romani "sdoki". That's european for "N'gger" basically

hi, i too dont know how context and words work lets be friends

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

Gillen still has the same issue on Game of Thrones, because Littlefinger has a very inconsistent accent and intonation.

I agree, but the way it happens also somehow makes him seem slimier and faker, so it really works with the character. Like his accent shifts to try and manipulate whomever he's speaking to. I'm sure it's just him having difficulties with the accent, but it sort of works on a certain level.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I know that I certainly (mostly unconsciously) mask my accent into the General American accent. When I get drunk, or really really mad, or super stressed out though, I get this super Texan accent to everything, and it's awful. I think a lot of times actors have the same problem with their faked accents during long filming days/weeks/months and let it slip now and then, it makes perfect sense.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Literally Kermit posted:

As long as we are clearing the air, if no one was supposed to get out of the jeeps, why did they have those decorated rest areas?

They didn't want them getting out of the car on their beta version tour with a storm coming. I assume during normal tours, a bathroom/rest area to get out and sit and watch the t-rex come do stuff would make perfect sense. This was just a test run to try and get the park signed off on and they didn't want them to waste a bunch of time with the threat of something bad happening.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

bewilderment posted:

It's the Star Wars equivalent of naming your forums account Xx_SePhiRoTh_xX

mods please

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

I think this all started because I called Star Wars a children's movie

It all started when you got all holier than thou about people discussing the movie because it's a 'children's movie'. Nobody cares about people pointing out that the movie isn't high art, it was just the way you went all :spergin: about other people caring to discuss it.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

lol you can have the last word following this post if you want, god drat :rolleyes:

ok thanks, it's mine now.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

oldpainless posted:

oldpainless swoops in and steals the glory

:negative:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Jedit posted:

But they don't, and that's the point. The Protector was based on fictional science, not functional science. For things like the ship's controls that's no problem; it's just a different way to use technology they probably already had. Inventing technology to match what they'd seen in the show is also OK because that's finding a solution to a presented problem. But to create a functioning Omega-13 on the basis of a schematic without knowing what it does would mean that the writers of the show had actually designed a functioning Omega-13.

Probably because it's fiction.

Like it's ok that it's irritating, and we should talk about that, but there is no satisfying answer so its weird to ask for one.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

There is no way in hell the arachnids could hurl an asteroid from halfway across the galaxy and hit a target as small as Buenos Aires

I mean, it's a sci fi movie with psychic bugs. They potentially could.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Aleph Null posted:

I have often wondered what this phrase means when it isn't code for racism. Like what constitutes "perfect"?

Edit: it's always code for racism.

"white" usually.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

OutsideAngel posted:

I'm still not clear on why the whipped cream would make the strudel non-kosher.

Cream (dairy fat) is not always kosher. There are two types of cream: sweet cream, which is derived from milk (and is kosher), and whey cream, which is derived from cheese-making. Whey cream is often non-kosher, and the cream in many dairy products can be in the form of pure whey cream or a blend of sweet cream and whey cream.

source - https://oukosher.org/blog/consumer-kosher/retail-dairy-products-whats-hows-and-whys/

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
edit: whoops

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

oldpainless posted:

All that effort to not stab her. Disgraceful

More like oldpainless.

Wait...

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

I could be mistaken but I think that the collars were also rigged to explode if hosed around with, so ripping off or shooting off are not such great ideas.

If it deactivated the explosion wouldn't matter for Deadpool.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
That.. was not subtle though? It was explicitly described as their hunting methodology.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

In the novel he was blowing them away with a rocket launcher

That seems entirely reasonable due to their size/weird/likely toughness.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
What

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

MichiganCubbie posted:

My favorite movies are Raiders of the Lost Ark, Ghostbusters, Beetlejuice, and Army of Darkness. Do your worst, subtle movie thread.

These would be fine if you weren't weirdly seeking approval from goons. That's always the problem with favorite movies, they're used by a person to try and define themselves.

Its weird.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
No you dont understand, he has a black friend cousin.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Seems like going East would've been safe then?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

OK, so I haven't seen any of the Avengers movies, or any MCU movies outside of Iron Man 1. I just wanted to ask a very small question... Why the hell does Thanos want to wipe out everyone? Is there any sort of real, understandable-but-still-bad motivation there?

In the comics it's because he wants to gently caress the literal embodiment of Death.

In the MCU movies, it's because one time his planet had some overpopulation issues so he's gonna halve the galaxy to fix it forever.

Yes, somehow. the second one does make less sense than the first.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Bio life becomes a threat to synthetic life if allowed to run amok so it must be culled is actually more coherent.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

marshmallow creep posted:

Maybe, but what ME says is "advanced bios will make synths that will wipe out all bios so we need synths that wipe out bios before they can make synths that wipe out bios."

There's no guarantee the newest synths would win, the geth got demolished pretty easily. Then bio life is pre-prejudiced to kill synth life like the reapers.

It hangs together pretty well. And I'm definitely not an ME fanboy.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Heh old penis

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

But what about their dicks?

Zangief and Bowser had have the same proficiency at laying pipe.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
It's the date that someone first traveled back in time to. Of course its a red letter day.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
My favorite story about this is a bunch of scientists put up bird nets to catch and count small birds, like you do, but they'd come back and the nets would be empty. So they set up cameras, and sure enough they were catching little birds, but then deer would walk by and just start chomping down on the helpless birds when they figured out that they couldn't get away.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

True, but literally anyone else would just take that to mean "stop standing at attention". Also, they likely would've wondered why they were being talked to.

Forrest was famously not a smart man who took things very literally.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

I'm not trying to argue that, in case anyone's wondering. I just thought his very, very quick 'ok, I'm going right back to ping pong now' moments were not overplayed.

Yeah, my bad, I got confused about which thread I was in, and now see your point.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Oh god, I remember when all the extended editions were out on DVD, basically everyone i know tried to do a marathon rewatch of all three in one sitting. I don't know anyone who actually finished that.

My wife and I while sick with the flu did. Though we also smoked a lot of weed and chatted/ordered pizza and stuff during.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Wait until all of you realize that these are all just part of the SSU (Small Soldiers Universe).

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

She's also the only Disney princess who can make her own caviar and custard.

:lmao:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

Ursula is Ariel’s aunt, yet she’s a whole different fish on the bottom.

Ursula is a cecaelia, not a mermaid, and is not Ariel's aunt canonically. :colbert:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
But if you don’t look up the marketing materials and buzz for this 20 year old movie before catching it on tv, it can be surprising due to the way it was set up.

Which was their point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Dance puppets dance. I was only trolling because it was a slow day at work, I am the real mastermind here. Fools!!!