Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Do you still have the silly fast black turbo car? Great video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I drove home with this from the track...about 150 miles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6E6X4j5Ano

Sorry for terrible lighting, that's the clutch and flywheel on the end of the crank before removing any bolts. I moneyshifted at redline in 3rd gear to 2nd while on the main straight. :downsgun: The flywheel bolts were finger tight when I pulled it off and ruined the crank bolt holes (oval at that point) and input shaft. I swapped both the engine and trans because of that little mistake.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Dave Inc. posted:

How did you manage to even drive that thing home?

It made a pretty nasty sound on decel, similar to a tractor or something, but otherwise seemed fine. I drove it one more time to my buddy's place to let him hear it and we figured something was up with the clutch/flywheel and I drove back home. About 1/4 mile from home I lost the clutch altogether and the ability to switch gears. Then it started bogging down really bad (ring gear was machining the bell housing at this point from more bolts letting go I'd guess). I pressed on in 2nd gear and made it back the rest of the way home and found that when I dropped the trans. I'm just glad it didn't come loose at a higher speed and cut my legs off. :ohdear:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

HJC AR10. None of the cheaper ones fit me, this fits like a glove. All the others killed my forehead after a minute or two.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Buy an older corvette or camaro. At least you'll have a little bit of power behind you and parts are fairly cheap.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I would do pads and fluid at minimum. I don't like the idea of finding out your brakes are faded when it's a bit too late.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Dave Inc. posted:

Can someone explain submarining to me, and the difference between a 5pt and a 6pt?

Your torso is held in place by the harness and the force (say from a front impact) is moving your body forward. Your center of mass is closer to your mid section/rear end area and there's nothing really holding that from forward movement except the lap belt and the seat. If you start sliding under the lap belt, away you go.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I bought all my racing safety gear for Chumpcar yesterday and I probably should have asked in this thread before doing so. Anybody have anything good or bad to say about this stuff? I already have a HJC AR-10 Helmet that I drilled for HANS anchors that I like quite a bit.

Simpson S19 suit
Simpson hightop racing shoes
Alpine Stars Tech 1 gloves

I had to order it all online so I hope it all fits. :ohdear: I also got a balaclava and socks but I imagine those don't make a huge difference in which kind you buy.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Das Volk posted:

The Virginia City Hillclimb is back this year, with the original clubs running it (FCA Pacific and Norcal SAAC) and due to lower participation in the past couple of years I've been asked by the organizers to find people who would be interested in doing the hillclimb. It's open to all makes officially now, same very lax rules apply which amount to having a 2.5lb mounted extinguisher, a helmet, and if you feel like it Nomex. It is not a 10/10ths event as some of you may recall we've had fatalities in the past, one of which ended a much more publicized competitor event which only ran for the one year.

That being said it's the most fun you can have with your street car in the US. Think of it as an informal Pike's Peak with a shorter, less lethal course. Here's a video of my friend who I call "crazy Jeff" running it in his GT3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlr73KZ6WsM

We strongly encourage people to have at least an HPDE under their belts if not "real" racing experience (even chumpcar/lemons will do) and the event is geared towards "high performance" cars, so don't bring your Miata unless it's got an LSx under the hood.

Maybe because it sounds elitest and douchey? Or maybe that's just how it's coming off based on your description.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Bringing a pyrometer is pretty crazy for your first track day. Just go and have fun and learn, hope you don't have to gently caress with your own car and ride along with instructors with cool cars.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Aurune posted:

Some bad news. A friend of mine went to get a day at Laguna Seca and they informed him that all "club rental" days next year are now 90 db.

All I can says is, gently caress.

Not even all stock cars will meet that. Ouch.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I just use the inflator for my compressor. Has an accurate gauge and will release pressure. I think I bought it at HF.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

I'm an alum so I guess they send out flyers in email. Their site never seems up to date.

I think you just need to call/email. Here's the full text:

drat, that sounds awesome. I have a buddy in Phoenix I could probably stay with...

Though it is confusing what you actually get. 4 sessions a day, then it says each session has three 25 min. sessions? What safety equipment is required? I don't have a HANS but have all the other poo poo (suit, helmet, socks, etc).

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Feb 5, 2014

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Octopus Magic posted:

In a roll over, partial ejection with a three point is a very possible thing!

Also most of those three point users in that video look like they're submarining pretty bad (which I would assume would be the point of the video, to sell Takata's ASM belts).

Don't get me wrong, I think five/six points are safer than a four point, but I don't think 4 point is some sort of instant death sentence you guys seem to think it is (as is saying that there's zero safety in between a street 3 point and FULL CAGE HANS HELMET FIA BELTS UPDATED EVERY YEAR)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks072waMayk

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

edit: nm

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Phone posted:

Nice! So when are you going to do your $15000 engine rebuild to be competitive? :haw:

Ugh, stop making GBS threads on him and spec miata, he's having fun. You've got to spend a lot of money in any car to be at the front of the pack, unless you're the only one in class. :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

HJC AR10 was fine with my sunglasses. I hope the new version fits the same as my current one. There aren't too many places to try on helmets that I know of so I shipped one back initially and got lucky with the HJC on the 2nd try.

Anybody know of places in the Detroit area that sells motorsport helmets?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Last time I checked (month or two ago?) I could only find a few SA2015 helmets online. I like my old HJC AR10 (I think it is?) quite a bit for the fit and will likely buy their new version of it. I tried a couple cheap helmets and none of them fit my massive dome even though I picked the correct size based on their dimensions. Too much pressure on my forehead and they gave me headaches.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

Hjc won't have SA2015 helmets available till 2017

Thought you were being facetious, but it looks to be true. :(

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Comments on any auto site are always terrible. Never read them.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

ilkhan posted:

Wtf is wrong with me?

You can't spell "Laguna." :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

paint for roll bar

White or another light color so you can see cracks at the welds if they show up.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

FatCow posted:

NASA is racing on this track this weekend. Don't know when this video is from but I can say that it was taken in July. Am I total pussy for pulling my registration because this thing looks like a death trap? I'll be W2W, not DE on it. The 2 high tire stacks in the beginning are 'protecting' mounting posts for armco.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJdNeZgXKcw

Looks like they have the track itself and nothing else done. I wouldn't want to W2W there because who knows what could happen but I'd probably DE at 8/10ths. :shrug:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Self tech is a little sketchy but that's how must of them were that I ever went to.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

net work error posted:

I definitely had fun and will do it again hopefully. Ended up using wheel chocks and let the car sit for two hours in my parking space at home.

How far is your drive to the track? while driving they will cool off pretty quick so don't get too paranoid. Coming off a hot track, yeah don't use it but if you're driving home and am on the highway for even a few minutes you're probably fine.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

yep, probably just boiled fluid then. Get some high temp stuff in there and you'll be good to go until you exceed the heat range of those pads.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

FatCow posted:

Is CMC a bunch of mediocre drivers in lovely cars in every region, or just mid-Atlantic?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbjahYa703U

Holy poo poo, what a mess.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Had one in my (street) Miata. It was very upright and the shoulders seemed very narrow. I still did some 3 hour drives with it but there's not much for padding. On long drives I'd bring a pillow or pad for lumbar and the seat bottom. Might not be as bad if I would have angled the mounts to tilt it back, though.

Really it feels like a hammock with tight stretched fabric on the tubes of the seat. There's padding on the bolsters and leg area though. Not sure how to describe it better than that.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 11, 2017

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Other people may like it better, but I bought it because it was cheap and probably wouldn't do it again. You have a nice car, buy a nice seat. :)

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

FatCow posted:

My SA2000 AR10 had really bad ventilation, I could never use it with the visor down.

I always had to leave mine cracked but it's the only helmet (of about 2-3 mail order ones I tried since I too couldn't try them on locally) that fit my massive dome. All the others put too much pressure on my forehead.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

The huge flat washers (at least what I installed on my old 2005 helmet for HANS) spread the load enough so it should be sufficient.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

No clue what to expect

Fun, and cheese. RA is awesome.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

There's a local track that does something they call Time Trials (it's like bracket racing for road courses and they strap a transponder on your car and you dial in a time, neat idea) so you get a few sessions for $75 during any of the race weekends. Probably not as many sessions as a normal track day ($150-200 last time I ran one many years ago here in the midwest) but you can beat the price.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Blaise posted:

For DE nobody will ever call you out for that bar for any reason. As long as it's a 4 point with a diagonal you're good to go.

TT - even then probably OK.

Pretty funny that their own site calls out the S2000 may be fine without one at all, let alone being ok with a bolt in one with 4 mounting points like pictured.

https://www.nasaproracing.com/hpde/rollover.html

But seriously wtf is this poo poo

That's the only weird thing I see about it. Is that diagonal X piece bolted to the rest of the main hoop? So you can take it out for street visibility or something? Seems like a strange compromise (if that's the purpose).

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 11, 2017

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Dave Inc. posted:

Oh god, I've taken my spec 944 on R comps to a couple of track days and it's painful how much I had to overtake under braking and corner entry after point-bys. They would momentarily lift coming on to a straight, let me pull up alongside them and get back on the gas like that was enough to let me by. Infuriating.

Reminds me when I had an instructor that drove a corvette with me in my miata. He kept telling me to floor it on the straights so I could make a pass. That's all she's got, doc. :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

eriddy posted:

Did another trackday this weekend at Dominion Raceway in Virginia. Made a video from my fastest session (which is not fast generally but it was my PB at this circuit). Also my data capture stuff worked and I passed some fast cars which was neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaEVD_kGZjo

What are you using for data? Some GPS thing on your phone with a bluetooth OBD2 dongle? What app, hardware, etc? Seems neat.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Let me tell you, his hand discipline is top notch. :wink:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

With autocross you get to bullshit with more car folk in a parking lot and get sunburned.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

I think beginners should do a couple autox just to start out. It's $50 for not that much time, but it's still only $50 for any time at all. Compared to not having that environment to drive in.

There's plenty of 16 and broke kids out there (maybe not on this forum any more).

I'd agree with this. Afterwards, track day(s) bro. Track requires a little more car work like swapping brake fluid and pads, autocross is the most entry level thing you can do with no work required which is good for beginners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

I use OEM stock pads at autocrosses and they seem to be fine. I suppose it depends on the power and the weight of the car.

Not sure if this is in reference to what I said, but generally you don't need to do any pad swapping for autocross. Not the same is true for track days.