Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sig11
Sep 9, 2005
Stop fucking my horse with asparagus.
So jealous of you southerners and your never ending track season... though with a nice long Michigan winter I can save up for summer and work on my cars.

I've been doing HPDEs in my 370Z for the last few years and started building a SpecZ car out of a friend's wrecked 350Z for this year. I'm almost sad to be planning for SpecZ since I've been having so much fun working on it and it was pretty nicely modded before he put it in a tire wall at Mid-Ohio. Supposed to be finishing up an E30 for Chump/LeMons but no one seems to have time to work on it.

For some reason I never thought to look at AI for a racing thread. :V

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sig11
Sep 9, 2005

the spyder posted:

Figured this is the best place to ask: I need a new helmet. What are you running and why do you like it?
I love my Bell M4. It was about $400 from a local shop here and it's as comfortable as any I've tried.

SpellEdge posted:

I'll be at mid-ohio 5/19 for babby's first HPDE, can't wait!
Awesome! What club? I run mostly with 3Balls Racing and NASA but have hit a few BMWCCA and PCA event too.

G-Mach posted:

There has to be a couple organizations that run ice races during the winter in Michigan.
That does look like fun. I will have to look into that for next winter. I've just been making trips to the local indoor kart track whenever I have time... that and we took a trip to Road Atlanta the first weekend of December.

sig11
Sep 9, 2005

SpellEdge posted:

It's actually the mid-ohio school performance driving course. The way I understood it is you had to take the two courses in order to go to a regular lapping day.But I'm new to this stuff.

Ahhh. I would love to go to that school just to see what what I would learn. You only need that to go to their school lapping days... you can go with a club with no experience at all.

sig11
Sep 9, 2005

nm posted:

They basically sell everything out, so they have no problems kicking jackasses, which I think is an issue with some other providers.

You don't get a refund for breaking the rules. :P Not that I've ever seen anyone asked to leave an event. I can't imagine what someone would do to get kicked out.

sig11
Sep 9, 2005
Wish I had a garage that big. :)

sig11
Sep 9, 2005

Phone posted:

I would say brakes, but every single compound will destroy your fancy new wheels.

Hawk DTC-60s and ATE Superblue/TYP200.

I've never had problems with Carbotech XP10/XP8s causing wheel damage. Takes relatively strong wheel cleaner to get baked on dust off if you leave it too long though.

Admirable Gusto posted:

Totally agree with the brake flush, except I would stay away from the Superblue. I've heard stories of warranty coverage being denied because blue stains in the brake system -> track use. The gold stuff should be fine though.

I can't see how they would have any grounds at all for denying warranty coverage because you used superblue. It's a perfectly reasonable DOT4 fluid for street use.

sig11
Sep 9, 2005

Octopus Magic posted:

I've got my schedule for the year:

http://www.comscc.org/events/

Too bad I'm probably just doing the NHMS events because I don't really want to drive 6+ hours without a tow vehicle :smith:

There has been some talk in my favorite track club (3Balls Racing) about hitting Calabogie with COMSCC this year. I hear it's a blast and there was some mention of a bunch of us renting a car hauler to cut costs.

sig11
Sep 9, 2005

Phone posted:

Nope, but consider getting 2" belts so it rides on the HANS properly. I'm wholly impressed with my Schroth Profi belts.

If you like the Schroth you will LOVE Safecraft. They have the best adjusters I've ever used. Super easy to get tight and they stay tight... I'm using a profi-2 now but I'm going with Safecraft for my SpecZ car. http://www.safecraft.com/Mrestraints-harnesses.php

I found a seat I really liked and fit me like a glove this weekend at Mid-Ohio (Recaro Pro Racer XL) but then I saw the $1900 price tag. :( Ultrashield is probably how I'll end up going since they're comfortable and cheap.

sig11
Sep 9, 2005

aventari posted:

As someone with no cage, a fixed seat, and 4 pt, it's a numbers game. The odds are extremely low that I'm going to have a rollover that will injure me because of a fixed back seat and harness, so I'm okay with that risk. Going out on track at all involves risk, so it just comes down to where you draw the line.
If I wanted to stay safe I would sit at home on the couch and read a book.

That said, I'm going to get a cage in the near future, but for now it doesn't keep me up at night.

That's pretty much exactly the calculation I made when I put in my harness bar and 6pt setup. I wouldn't be caught dead in a 4pt harness though... submarining is a scary proposition.

I've yet to see a rollover in my 4 short years of tracking and I hope this streak continues. That being said I am finding myself faster and faster and less and thus less and less confident in the car protecting me in a wreck so I bought a dedicated track car to cage.

sig11
Sep 9, 2005
I don't know if you guys like videos but here is my friend Derek in his Exige chasing me in my 370Z at Mid-Ohio last weekend. I don't know if he would have been able to keep up if I had remembered to refuel before the session but it made for a fun afternoon. If I don't refuel after every session I have fuel starvation problems in right handers like the Keyhole and into Thunder Valley.

The OEM VLSD is also pretty much an open diff now and I hear the outside tire squeal all the time. Smoked the tire in turn 9 about 6 minutes into the video.

We were running mid 1:46s... about a second off my best time last year when I ran on used A6s instead of nearly used up R6s.

https://vimeo.com/63684096

sig11
Sep 9, 2005

ThatCguy posted:

So, wait, in a run group of 6 cars, there were 2-3 goons?

That's..kinda scary.

Red E30 waving hi.

haha! Were you the fella who got harassed by the Lexington cops for the wrong tags or something?

sig11
Sep 9, 2005
We had sleet and snow at GingerMan last weekend. I stepped out of my trailer Sunday morning to a serious snow shower but by 5:00 it was mid 60s and sunny. I was able to keep the R6s on and we really had a surprising amount of grip despite the track being very cold and a little damp at times.

Of course I corded the damned right rear tire... I was having a terrible time with it spinning on corner exit so I was applying throttle gradually and late but I still managed to destroy the drat tire's inside edge. Never had a problem quite like that in the past...

sig11
Sep 9, 2005

drgitlin posted:

Not sure firefighters socks would have SFI tags though, and tech almost certainly wouldn't pass them if they didn't (at least, they wouldn't in the central region).

My Carbon-X socks don't have tags at all...

sig11
Sep 9, 2005

c355n4 posted:

What is everyone up to Memorial Day? I know I'll be racing at Lime Rock Park for one of the few unmuffled dates (no sound restrictions!).

Awesome! Sounds like fun.

Unless something goes wrong I'll be at Grattan Raceway with 3balls Racing for my 350Z's first trip back to the track! Hopefully the car holds together since It's not run for any extended time since my friend wrecked it last summer. I would hate to lose a day driving home to get my street car.

I'm still waiting in line for the cage and for a diff setup/install but most of the interior striping that I can do legally for SpecZ is done. I don't look forward to going back to stock 3pt belts for the weekend but I doubt I can find a harness bar to borrow.

sig11
Sep 9, 2005

Phone posted:

If you're up in Canada, it might be more pricey, but check out https://www.knsbrakes.com . I've been happy with the DTC-60s on the Mazda2 and the Miata, if you need more torque there are the DTC-70s.

And the fellas at KNS are great.

sig11
Sep 9, 2005

Sab669 posted:

So I guess this came to Lime Rock Park this week? Free, invitational event. Pretty pissed I didn't know sooner :argh: so I could sign up in hopes of an invite.

http://www.nismoperformanceacademy.com/

They did COTA too this summer. Lucky bastards.

sig11
Sep 9, 2005
I'll second the Race Capture Pro. For the price it it's very hard to beat. Once I get the cage in and a couple sets of wheels and tires it will likely replace my Aim Solo. I don't think there is anything out there for the price with analog inputs... and it's open source hardware and software.

sig11
Sep 9, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

Any recommendations for a cheap multilayer suit? I'm driving in a race at the end of the month at Oregon Raceway Park (ORP).

I'm pretty happy with my RaceQuip. I couldn't find one that fit so I had to get a custom suit from them for around $500 at a local shop. Took a few weeks to get and I picked all the colors.

sig11
Sep 9, 2005

rotard posted:

Anyone have an opinion on carbotech 10s or even 12s on a heavier track car. I've got to decide on tack pads for my sti in a few weeks and there price is rather attractive

I loved the XP12s with R6s on my 370Z. That's a pretty fat car. XP10s are good too!

sig11
Sep 9, 2005

nm posted:

I would not on a closed car. I did that and I've regretted ever hot, stuffy, glasses fogging moment of it.

Yes, once you are caged and what not, it is a good idea, but as an entry level track day and autocross helmet, do open face. In a non-caged, airbag on, just using a seatbelt case, the helmet is just really for insurance anyhow. It isn't going to make a huge difference if you crash.

You are crazy. Open face helmets are for suckers.

sig11
Sep 9, 2005
I had my first serious on track (or for that matter on street) incident yesterday morning. I was chasing a Corvette and Grattan Raceway and as I came up the hill the car just suddenly darted left after an upshift. I'm not sure if something broke or if I hosed up the clutch release but I remember it being smooth. I was pinned against the tree so I had a hard time letting the corner worker know that I was ok. Didn't want to get out until it was safe but when I saw him sprinting across the track I figured it was shut down and I crawled out the passenger side. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaIzFCkL51w

I think the whole rest of the 3Balls staff jumped in the truck to come get me and after the medics cleared me I posed in front of the car and we pulled it out.

Was looking good with my new hood beforehand. Now I need a new fender, tie rods, LCA bushing and to straighten the shock mounting arm thingie. I think I should be good to go by the 3Balls charity event at Waterford Hills Road Racing on 6/21.

sig11
Sep 9, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

Unless that 350Z is making stupid power, that doesn't seem like a place where a rough upshift should cause you to snap around like that.

It was 246whp a few years ago when the previous owner had it tuned. One of the fellas said there is a bump there but I think I was well clear of that. With the Detroit GP last weekend I haven't had a chance to dig into it more. I'll probably pull the steering rack this weekend and take a look at it.

sig11
Sep 9, 2005
If you're looking for a good group to go to Calabogie with you should go with 3Balls Racing on August 9-10th. Two days of open track with point by passing. Should be easy to get a good instructor if you ask. http://3ballsracing.com/events/event/28/Calabogie-Motorsports-Park-on-Saturday--August-9--2014 I'm hoping to have the funds for the trip but I have to get the Z repaired first.

sig11
Sep 9, 2005

Sadi posted:

Or RS3s they won most of autocross nationals this year.

They're darn near r-comps. :) I love those tires.

sig11
Sep 9, 2005

Dave Inc. posted:

Well I've been living in awful Flint, Michigan for a while, but turns out there's a great little track nearby called Waterford Hills with lots of open days. Here's me tripoding my '82 911!

Love Waterford but It beats the hell out of me. We did a private day last year (~10 cars open track) and I was sore all over the next day. You should come to the 3Balls events next year. :) We usually do at least one Waterford event, a trip to mid-ohio, and a couple weekends at Grattan and Gingerman.

sig11
Sep 9, 2005

Dave Inc. posted:

I may end up moving somewhere else before the spring, but if I'm still around I'll check it out. What are the 3Balls anyway?

3Balls is the best track day group in the area. Low car counts for lots of track time and really laid back group. We camp at the tracks most of the time and usually drink too much when the track goes cold. http://3ballsracing.com

sig11
Sep 9, 2005

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Do you guys who track your street cars do really short service intervals on things like oil and spark plugs?

I test my oil once a year and adjust accordingly... Usually change my oil roughly every 2 track weekends. Have never done spark plugs on my 2009 370Z.

sig11
Sep 9, 2005
I learned to drive without ABS weekend before last... :P Well.. not only that but I had to experiment to correct the bias after disabling the ABS pump/module that failed on my 350Z race car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6am-Ryx0gnw

sig11
Sep 9, 2005

Sab669 posted:

Video's still processing on YouTube so only 360p is available right now, and the footage CAME OUT loving TERRIBLE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlS27jD6Sko
Any suggestions, short of mounting the camera externally, to prevent this next time?

In my Z's I put the GoPro in the center of the rear window and as far forward as possible. You can drop it down and forward more by manipulating the mount... Turn on spot metering and on the Hero 3 I think you want to set it to the medium or narrowest FOV.

sig11
Sep 9, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

Edit: I logged my run with Torq, are there any tools you guys use to view and analyze the data on the PC?
I think you can import a CSV into the AIM tools. Race Studio is pretty nice software: http://www.aimsports.com/software/index.html

sig11
Sep 9, 2005
Step up to the Silver (XP12) for a real strong change. :P

sig11
Sep 9, 2005

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Are they that big of a jump? I tried to get a set of XP12s to run on the front my last weekend, but they were out of stock. Had to settle for XP10s again, which are OK but I wanted just a little extra.
New XP10s are decidedly better than glazed XP10s I've discovered.

To me it felt a lot like going to XP10s from street pads in magnitude... I completely used them up in two days at Road Atlanta and two days at Mid-Ohio on my fat (3400lbs) 370Z though. Probably most of that was at Mid-Ohio though since it was essentially full on open track.

sig11
Sep 9, 2005

Dave Inc. posted:

Well I finally got my 944 spec car in running condition and tested it out at Waterford Hills. It was immediately apparent that I'm not used to racing suspensions, brakes and tires, and I left a lot of time out on the track from early braking and low corner speeds. I felt like I was getting the hang of it and was shaving time with each lap but my second run was cut short due to a dummy in an 86, and rain was rolling in so I jumped ship.

Edit: The suspension definitely needs tuning. The shocks are in their loosest setting and the thing isn't even close to corner balanced. Also the delrin bushings in the rear most likely need some shaving and are too stiff. As a result the whole car is veeeery prone to oversteer.

Waterford is getting ROUGH. I hope they get the funds together for a repave. The OTD doesn't look too crowded at all for once.

I broke a front endlink on my 350Z there during our charity event a couple weeks ago. Talk about oversteer. The rear wanted to step out before the apex in the swamp every drat lap and I don't think I made one trip through the hairpin before the hill without sliding.

If there are any folks local to the Michigan tracks (Gingerman, Grattan, Waterford Hills, and Mid-Ohio) 3balls Racing is auctioning off a lifetime pass for charity. Right now the bid is $2000... a total steal considering this year we ran 4 Grattan weekends, 1 Gingerman weekend, 1 day at Mid-Ohio, and a weekend at Calabogie. Bidding is at the 3balls website. The proceeds from the auction will go to Karmanos Cancer Institute for research of a topical melanoma treatment for folks who can't tolerate normal chemotherapy.

sig11
Sep 9, 2005

Larrymer posted:

Anybody know of places in the Detroit area that sells motorsport helmets?

Averill Racing Stuff. Shop is in Madison Heights just north of 12 mile and mostly services open wheel cars. I've bought all of my safety gear from him. He is a RedLine oil dealer too.

sig11
Sep 9, 2005

deep impact on vhs posted:

my company has a points-based recognition system where you can get free stuff for doing your job right and they have tickets to the us grand prix

the good seats are 13k+ each and i have 500 :smithicide:

A guy in my racing group is selling a 3 day ticket with a turn 9 grandstand seat for $300...

sig11
Sep 9, 2005

Crustashio posted:

Thanks for the info. I have all my measurements so I've been going through various manufacturer sizing charts to see what jives. Sparco seems to be out - I'd have to get an XL to fit my waist but it would be comically oversized everywhere else. OMP and gforce seem to have sizing that would fit a little better, but it's all still sized for people with normal proportions. I was thinking either the First S (http://www.ompamerica.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_4/products_id/635) or the 545 (http://www.gforce.com/products/suits/4545.php).
For just a little more you can get a custom suit. I think I gave right around $550 for my RaceQuip. You can get an idea here: http://www.customshopusa.com/dspitem.asp?CatID=27&SubCatID=58) I got mine from Averil Racing Stuff here just outside Detroit. They're made just as well as the standard Gforce and OMP probably even the bigger brands and you have the big advantage of the suit fitting perfectly if you're tall and not fat. (Or maybe even if you're fat too : )

Crustashio posted:

I'm planning to get a light colour - either blue or red. Black would look less dirty but our sprint racing involves a lot of standing around in the sun so I don't think I'd like the heatsoak.

I got yellow and black and it isn't too terrible in the sun. I stick out like a sore thumb though.

sig11
Sep 9, 2005

jamal posted:

Yeah, that's why you buy race pads and bleed the brakes with good fluid before going to a track day with your 600hp car.

There's a video of a mustang gt500 doing something similar, and you could actually see it coming.

Jalopnik says it was a Camaro driven by Tristan Herbert Audi USA Manager of Motorsport. :P Other sources say it was a 12h of Sebring support race.
http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/crap-your-pants-as-this-corvette-with-no-brakes-narrowl-1767356190

sig11
Sep 9, 2005

drgitlin posted:

A new race in a region the series is just moving into on a weekend when it snows will of course have a small field. But as nitrospazzz says, once people know about it you get 90 car fields.

Always hit or miss up this way on those early weekends. Wish I had a reliable group to split costs with. I may just recruit some friends to co-drive my car next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sig11
Sep 9, 2005

TWSS posted:

Basically everyone here has a schroth pro-fi 2.

I have a profi-2 and it's pretty nice... but when my cage is finally in I will be going with Safecraft 6 point harnesses. They are the smoothest adjusting belts I have ever used. Only drawback is that they aren't FIA certified so they only last 2 years instead of 5. I believe they used to do one free reweb to make them 4 year belts though.