Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alberta Cross
Sep 15, 2006
Fortis Et Liber
So, a quick question. Is Empire of the Sun a lot like Paths of Glory or Barbarossa to Berlin? Or is it it's own system? I really enjoy that style of game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alberta Cross
Sep 15, 2006
Fortis Et Liber

blackmongoose posted:

It's definitely it's own system. The only similarity is that they both use cards which can be played as events or to move stuff around. EotS is a lot more complicated, and focuses heavily on air/naval interaction and dealing with logistics in a theater as large as the Pacific. I would highly recommend skimming the rules and ideally trying a turn or two before you pick it up, as it really is a significant step up in complexity. If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to answer them, though I'm hardly an expert on the game.

That's too bad, that's about as complex as I'm willing to go. Looks like I'll have to wait for the For the People reprint.

Alberta Cross
Sep 15, 2006
Fortis Et Liber

clockworkjoe posted:

Okay my friends and I have played a lot of Arkham Horror and Twilight Imperium, so we're used to long and complex games. I want to try Diplomacy. The rules are not very easy to understand. Does anyone know of any good resources for Diplomacy?

If you have any interest in keeping your friends, don't play Diplomacy. Awesome game, but this game is like the grim reaper of friendships.

Alberta Cross
Sep 15, 2006
Fortis Et Liber
Well folks, I finally got around to buying my copy of Space Alert! Now as soon as summer is over I'll track down some folks to play it with.

Alberta Cross
Sep 15, 2006
Fortis Et Liber

interrodactyl posted:

Where'd you find a copy?

My FLGS in Saskatoon, SK. He actually has a pretty solid board game section.

Alberta Cross
Sep 15, 2006
Fortis Et Liber
Someone at work brought in Cthulu Flux. We played three hands, two of which I won and the third was an un-win. That game is like 90% luck, but the guys at work put enough smack talk into the game that it makes it worthwhile to play every night and it beats the hell out of crib...

Alberta Cross
Sep 15, 2006
Fortis Et Liber

The Dregs posted:

What is a good game that can be played with kids in the 8-10 year old range? I mean these cool new games you all are talking about, not Monopoly or Stratego. I almost bought Small World today, but I didn't want to plop down 55 bucks on a maybe.

My girlfriend has an eight year old girl who loves Ticket To Ride.

In other news, I have ventured on to eBay and purchased myself a copy of Thirty Years War by GMT, which (apperently?) runs off of the Paths of Glory engine (which I absolutely love).

Alberta Cross
Sep 15, 2006
Fortis Et Liber
Picked up the new X-Wing game. Fun game, but it desperately needs a grid, the game would go 100x faster with a grid. Also, the box sucks... How do you fit all the expansions into the box without them falling through the hole in the top???

Alberta Cross
Sep 15, 2006
Fortis Et Liber
It isn't necessarily a deck building game, more of a tableau game that involves cards, but I absolutely love Race for the Galaxy. Trying to build an engine with the cards you pick up is always fun.

Alberta Cross
Sep 15, 2006
Fortis Et Liber

Trastion posted:

You know you're going to be in a lot of trouble when one of them gets out of their cage and runs off to tell the police.

I'm debating this for Twilight Imperium, it's the only way to get that many people in one place for that long.

On a side note, my copy of Starcraft comes in soon, so "apparently" it's a little meaty than TI, so hopefully I can wrangle up a few players to play together.

Alberta Cross fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 4, 2012

Alberta Cross
Sep 15, 2006
Fortis Et Liber

mongol posted:

Where are you getting a copy of Starcraft? I can't find a reasonably priced copy anywhere.

I found on eBay for $60.00 plus $40.00 for shipping internationally... That's for a NEW one too. I was blown away. Every other one I bid on went for well over $100.00. I was shocked that the one got went for so cheap.

I went to two FLGS and they both seemed to think that it was due for a reprint because it sold so well, but both said that FFG is a little schizophrenic with their printing scheduling, so there might be hope yet.

Alberta Cross
Sep 15, 2006
Fortis Et Liber

NGDBSS posted:

At this point I believe FFG's license for Blizzard products expired. They had a sale last winter to sell off remaining copies of Brood War (I gave one to a friend who also owns and likes the game), and Starcraft: Risk (:suicide:) is in the works as a Hasbro product. Plus, all of their Warcraft products are out of print, and in exchange we're getting...WoW Monopoly. :suicide::suicide:

Though with all the discussion of deck-building mechanics it's a bit odd that Starcraft actually did its thing before Dominion, albeit in a more limited way.

That's weird. I brought up how I was pumped to play Starcraft at my FLGS, and the owner just points to the shelf at a brand new Starcraft: Broodwar he just got in. I bought it just because I figured if the main game was out of print, Brood War was quite likely out as well.

Alberta Cross
Sep 15, 2006
Fortis Et Liber

sicarius posted:

They've both been out of print for awhile and, in my opinion, the base game is nigh unplayable without Brood War.

I guess things just happen a little slower North of the border.

Alberta Cross
Sep 15, 2006
Fortis Et Liber

Crackbone posted:

That got me thinking.

Card game. Each player has a hand that represents influence in various spheres of power (Police, City Hall, DA, Unions, Drug Cartels, etc). Each sphere has different effects that can be played face up on the table. Police might make an opponent discard, Drug Cartels might force other players to pay him, Unions would have defensive effects, City Hall could peek at upcoming cards, etc.

Then there are "plot cards", which basically create a narrative. They're split into three types: People, scandal, resolution. They're revealed one at a time, come from randomized decks, and everybody gets to play/trade/negotiate inbetween them being revealed. Power cards change the power levels of cards: Carcetti would give City Hall cards +1 power, for example, while Avon would increase drugs. Scandal cards would create alterations to power cards - say Carcetti is bribing the police - now city hall cards can be substituted as police cards, for example. Finally, the resolution card would determine what happens - he gets away with it, or gets caught, or deflects blame onto the Drug Cartels. This is a modifier for end of round scoring - if he gets away with it all City Hall and Police cards score extra, etc.

All of the narrative cards could be examined, buried, or maybe even modified by paying certain costs from whatever influence deck.

You get to build a power base as you choose, and then use those resources to manipulate the narrative and gently caress over other people.

Not enough love for this post. I would buy this game in a heartbeat.

Alberta Cross
Sep 15, 2006
Fortis Et Liber
Because I'm a whore for GMT CDGs (say that ten times fast) my P500 of Mr. Madison's War came in today. Should get played over Christmas sometime.

Alberta Cross
Sep 15, 2006
Fortis Et Liber

Tekopo posted:

Best of Best Ever Wargame Oh My God Why Don't I Ever Get To Play This
Napoleon's Triumph.

I seen this at my FLGS this week. I almost bought it solely on your sperging about it.

Alberta Cross
Sep 15, 2006
Fortis Et Liber
Best game where you make spaceship noises and quote Star Wars

I have to say, I'm loving Star Wars: X-Wing to death. It plays super quick, it's easy to learn, the minis all look good... and it's Star Wars. What sort of a person hates Star Wars?

Alberta Cross
Sep 15, 2006
Fortis Et Liber

werdnam posted:

Or just buy the 1910 expansion and play away. Maybe you're super picky about sleeving everything, but I really don't think you need to with these. The cards that come with 1910 are very good quality and have stood up to dozens of unsleeved plays for me.

I can't play TTR without the 1910 expansion, the routes are just too confining.

Speaking of TTR, are any of the map expansions any good? I've already got all the "box" games and they go over pretty well.

Alberta Cross
Sep 15, 2006
Fortis Et Liber

Pierzak posted:

You go sleeve Space Alert and we'll talk about non-standard sizes. Americans :rolleyes:

I know they don't fit in any of the Fantasy Flight sleeves.

Alberta Cross
Sep 15, 2006
Fortis Et Liber

homerlaw posted:

I have a recommendation question, does anyone have any short (30 min - 1 hour) games that are big on spite? Namely the ability to gently caress other other players in remarkably dickish ways? Turns out the reason we play risk is to figure out how to back stab each other at the best/worst possible times.

I've always been a fan of Survive: Escape From Atlantis.

Alberta Cross
Sep 15, 2006
Fortis Et Liber
So, Lords of Waterdeep was 30% off at Chapters/Indigo in Canada. Is it worth getting? Seemed like a decent worker placement game.

Edit: Good lord I skipped a sentence.

Alberta Cross fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 26, 2013

Alberta Cross
Sep 15, 2006
Fortis Et Liber

Honest Ray posted:

Is there any news on how Hegemonic is supposed to be? I was interested in picking it up but am a little dicey at throwing money at something thats not out. The company looks pretty reputable and I was just curious as to if anyone had any opinions.

I'm pretty sure there's a review on Wired.

http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2013/01/hegemonic

Alberta Cross
Sep 15, 2006
Fortis Et Liber

DPW posted:

Did anyone find Race for the Galaxy very hard to learn by yourself? Me and a friend spent an hour or 2 trying to learn this together using the rule book. There just seems to be so much not explained and alot of jumping around the book. It took me getting home and watching some playthroughs to finally get an idea how this is played. And this is with a lot of experience playing San Juan. Just want to get others feedback.

The rulebook is... less than stellar as an aid. The key is to just pay very close attention to the iconography. It's really intuitive once you figure out what the symbols mean.

Alberta Cross
Sep 15, 2006
Fortis Et Liber

Bosushi! posted:

The issue with your latest order is, indeed, lovely.

Reminds me of the time I ordered an old sourcebook from a retailer on the Amazon Marketplace. After a few days it still hadn't been shipped so I messaged them asking where the hell it was. Turns out they had already sold the product from the shelf and they just couldn't be arsed to take the initiative and tell me.

Not going to be able to ship the product? Fine. Just tell me.

This happened to me a few weeks ago on the BGG Marketplace, needless to say I was a little peeved. Does it take that long to remove a listing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alberta Cross
Sep 15, 2006
Fortis Et Liber

cougar cub posted:

I'm in Canada - I'll do some more hunting around for cheaper prices. Thanks!

German Games, Meeple Mart and Starlit Citadel are my three OLGS of choice for Canada. Use those for comparing retailers. Alas, everything always costs an arm and a leg more in Canada so don't get your hopes up.

Alberta Cross fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 9, 2013

• Locked thread