Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
So are we going to get some hard nosed campaign coverage of the race for mayor between Hiram McDaniels and the Faceless Old Woman?

I'd love to hear Cecil burnish his Serious Journalist credentials and moderate a debate. Pulitzer committee? Are you listening to this? (Do they give out Pulitzers for radio journalism?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

De Nomolos posted:

On Episode 3 now. If I could manage it at work, I'd be much further along.

"The only pizza restaurant not burned down in an insolvent arson case...it is a misdemeanor not to eat there!"

Can anyone recommend more podcasts like this?

This question comes up a lot and the answer is that there really isn't anything. The closest thing out there might be the Best Show Gems, insofar as Scharpling and Wurster have created a world unto itself in the city of Newbridge, NJ, with it's own politics, culture, landscape, in jokes, and history. But the tone is dramatically different (no creepiness, much more absurd, a lot of punk rock/indie comedy/Best Show in jokes). If you go a little ways back into the Gems archives (about 6 months ago IIRC), you'll find the Newbridge Mayubernatorial Debate, which features like 12 Wurster characters and is easily one of the best things the Best Show has ever done, and a decent-ish introduction to what that portion of The Best Show is all about.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
It's now #2 in Comedy.

Michael Ian Black, be afraid. Be very, very afraid.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Also number 11 overall!

Just need to knock off Alton Brown to crack the top 10. His fondness for wheat and wheat by-products will surely be his undoing.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

dj_clawson posted:

This is incredible. Also, is there a wiki for this poo poo yet? It's just begging for a wiki.

http://nightvale.wikia.com/wiki/Welcome_to_Night_Vale_Wiki

There's not much there at the moment.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Cracked the top 10!

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

maxnmona posted:

Also, you might remember we were very excited about getting 150,000 downloads our first year. We've gotten 100,000 downloads in just the last six days. Yesterday we had 20,000.

If these numbers hold steady, we'll be looking at getting a million downloads by the end of the summer.

Is it just that the tumblr set has latched on that's causing this latest blow up?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

maxnmona posted:

, for awhile, all podcasts on iTunes,

You're still there at #10 according to my iTunes.

Or back up there. Either way.

Top 10.

Kinda excited to see where you end up in a week when a new episode hits with all this momentum.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I wonder if any real sponsors would buy one of the existing ad spots that Cecil does; I.E., the sort of ads we already here, but with whoever paid for it getting the totally non-sequitur name drop.

I doubt Subway would pay for "Devour your own heart", but I could've seen Subservient Chicken-era Burger King marketing wanting in.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

burnsep posted:

If someone hasn't done it yet, we need a new version of the "if you see something, say something" campaign posters, adapted to "If you See something, say nothing and drink to forget".

I'm loving this show.

Edit: The podcast artworks seems like an excellent jumping off point. I just wish I had actual design/Photoshop skill.

There's like a dozen of those on the fan art compilation tumblr.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Earwicker posted:

I love it but my favorite is still the stuff that looks like 1960's public safety/propaganda posters, those are absolutely perfect.

Yeah, more than any Night Vale art, I would probably pay good money for just like... a coffee table book of these.

I find most representational fanart (character portraits, etc.) to be kind of boring/uninteresting, but I love in-universe advertisements, posters, design type stuff for some reason.

Edit: There have been some great ones in the past few days:

http://kazuos.tumblr.com/post/56929876368

http://bagelartnstuff.tumblr.com/post/56915907777/welcome-to-night-vale-pilot

http://musain.tumblr.com/tagged/nightvalepr

I love the Hiram McDaniels for mayor poster so much.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Aug 1, 2013

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Good ep! Just a few thoughts:
  • It might just be me, but I'm still not a fan of "funny lists of things". You've dropped use of it quite a bit for the past while, but I wasn't particularly happy to see it come back. You did keep it from dragging on, though!

Lists are awesome, stop hating.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Roach Warehouse posted:

I imagine licensing issues make it unfeasible, but I'd love to see a "Best of The Weather" album in the store someday.

P.S. While I'm still the most recent poster, I have a question. I signed up for Tumblr recently, and I thought I'd check out the Night Vale tag, but I don't understand why all these pictures of Cecil have three eyes. Is there some throwaway reference I missed that the internet has latched onto?

Tumblr has just kind of decided that Cecil has three eyes. Sometimes Tumblr just collectively decides on a particular look for something for some reason. It took them a while to decide that Carlos wasn't white, but they eventually figured that one out.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Destroyer weather! :swoon:

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Earwicker posted:

:eng101: David Miranda is Brazilian.

I've always understood 'Hispanic' to include both Spanish and Portuguese colonial countries - anyone with ancestry/linguistic ties to the Iberian peninsula. Is that wrong?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I just see a radio person and think "...huh. Wouldn't have guessed that" except Ira Glass, who looks exactly like one would expect).

Ira Glass:

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Annakie posted:

Here's a link to the article about the NPR interview but the audio isn't up yet. :argh:

It now no longer says it's going up soon, and instead simply says 'unavailiable.'

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Tumblr gonna Tumbl.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

iostream.h posted:

*ahem*

At 945CST the first episode shall be broadcast slightly below 3.5MHZ on LSB.
Can't give an exact frequency because I'll have to find a clear spot, but there y'go.

An episode a night from here on until Halloween, at which point I'll marathon the rest.

Send reception reports to iostream.header at the gee male please. (Is GBS open right now?)

Not sure, but do you mind if I pass this along to someone who might be interested in it who isn't a goon?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Earwicker posted:

That was a very fun time. The audiences of the two shows seemed pretty different

As someone who attended the early show, I am curious how the late-show vibe differed. (If it matches the stereotypical expectation in my head, I will be disappointed that I ended up at the wrong show, but c'est la vie)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

evilwaldo posted:

Hahaha, booing Steve Carlsburg. So apropos. Shame on the first show.

I booed him and was very disappointed at all the people around me that cheered. :(

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

dj_clawson posted:

I confess I only have three of them on my iPod, and there's an additional two or three that I'll listen to, but not at a great frequency. The others ... maybe there's a reason they haven't made it big?

Except quite a few of the Weather artists have made it (indie-scale) big. John Vanderslice, Hella, Adam Green, the Doomtree crew, Destroyer, have all seen a fair amount of success, and that's just off the top of my head.

Personally, I am waiting for the inevitable Mountain Goats Weather that will someday happen and will surely fit perfectly.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

AstroZamboni posted:

Don't forget Dengue Fever. They've been getting a lot of love from NPR the last couple years and rightly so.

Yeah, my list of artists that have 'made it' was very tossed off and from the top of my head. See also: I left out Clem Snide.

The point is, if you don't like The Weather, that's on you, and saying "Maybe there's a reason they haven't made it big" is both myopic and kind of rude.

Len posted:

Which one? Moral Orel used No Children, Old College Try and Love Love Love if I'm remembering right. None of them are really anywhere near happy.

I'm going to assume Love Love Love because it's about suicides and pain and such. No Children is more bitter, and Old College Try is more about a sort of defeated acceptance.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Oct 17, 2013

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

J.A.B.C. posted:

I think he's talking about 'No Children', as that one seems to resonate the most with the show. To be completely honest, I want to know which one came first: Was 'No Children' inspired by Clay and Bloberta Puppington, or were they inspired by 'No Children'? Because it fits that well with the soul-crushing despair we all know as Season 3.

No Children is about the culmination/explosion of the relationship between Alpha and Omega, whose relationship is rather well documented in a few dozen Mountain Goats songs from the cassette era. Talahassee as a whole is basically The Album About Alpha And Omega

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Due to a miscommunication, me and my friend now have two extra tickets to the early show at the Bell House in Brooklyn. If you want to buy them, you should talk to me, because I would like to sell then to you.

I promise I will not exsanguinate you when handing over the tickets.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Earwicker posted:

The weather song in this episode is really really great

edit: is the dude's name Nilson or Neilson? I want to buy his album but I'm having trouble finding it

Tom Milsom, http://www.tommilsom.com according to the metadata.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Wandering Knitter posted:

Is there a master list somewhere of all of the weather songs, and where I can buy them?

If you pull up the episode list on podbay, the metadata for each episode includes the weather and an artist link.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

dj_clawson posted:

I hope you have your credit card number memorized, because you're gonna have to enter it fast!

Alternately, if you ask Maxnmona super nicely, maybe he'll be able to tell you whether they'll be using Brownpapertickets (as seems to be the case for the other west coast dates atm), or Ticketfly (Which is where my Bell House tickets were through), or some other storefront and register for an account and save your CC# to it ahead of time. Then you just need to remember your CCV number.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

dj_clawson posted:

Considering pretty much everything else on the list is a long-running podcast with celebrities cracking wise about their own careers, it's impressive they made room for Night Vale, but sad they didn't put it at Number 1.

Long running? Sure, although there are quite a few new podcasts on the list; most notably the great Fogelnest files.

I won't deny that there are a few that meet the rest of that description on the list (though WTF, as the best of that genre, gets a pass from me), but plenty of other listed entries don't meet that description at all (Fogelnest, Code Switch, The Flophouse, Savage Love (though admittedly, I'm not a fan), and especially the Best Show.)

Seriously, if you want to see what a fully realized fictional radio world looks like after 13 years on the air, you should be listening to the insanity that Scharpling and Wurster have wrought. Newbridge is a special special place.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

DicktheCat posted:

Am I the only one that really, really doesn't like how tumblr seems to think Cecil looks?

No. The. Third eye poo poo, in particular, I find to be totally bonkers and off-putting.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

This is the most important and representationally accurate night vale fan art ever made.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Gonna be really baffled and angry if there isn't an audiobook read by Cecil available day one.

I'm not even an audiobook person, like, at all, but for this, it feels right.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
So, it looks like I have one extra ticket for the late show in Brooklyn this Wednesday at the Bell House.

If you want it, send me a PM.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Rated PG-34 posted:

I have a couple tickets for the tomorrow's late show if anyone's interested. Send me a PM.

I have one extra as well, in case you get more takers than you have tickets.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
When will the NYC live episode from October be released?

Keeping secrets is growing increasingly difficult.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Fiendly posted:

I'm thinking of going to the Philly show, but I'm reliant on public transportation, so it would be useful to know when it'd be ending. Even the vaguest estimation would be a big help.

Night Vale live shows generally run about 90-120 minutes.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
There was also the One Year Anniversary episode which was recorded live and released as a podcast. Episode 26 I think? Maybe 28?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Looks like Condos is gonna cost a buck.

(It's totally worth a buck, I paid many times that much.)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Wandering Knitter posted:

At first I thought she wasn't paying attention until she randomly announced that she thought Carlos looked like Bruno Mars. :allears:

Y'know... I can actually see it:

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Feb 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Meat Street posted:

Great show in Durham tonight! Surprise appearance by our very own John Darnielle was pretty amazing.

SO loving JEALOUS OF THIS.

Please tell me everything about this guest appearance. I hope it was recorded.