Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
So is there any ruling that says scout bikers with cluster caltrops can't booby-trap, say, an opponent's fortification? :pcgaming:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

PeterWeller posted:

There might be a chosen and the dread Waldo'd away in the rulebook. In the big Chaos v Imperials foldout, there's a very modern looking chaos dread leading the landraider column up the road. And on page 296, there's a zerker squad led by a model I don't recognize.

I may be wrong, but the dreadnoughts just look like ForgeWorld ones. The beserker champion is definitely an existing model though, he's one of three khorne beserker champions that GW has still in metal, I think. Pretty sure they aren't finecast yet. I think they came out before the current Chaos codex, but they haven't really been in any publications of note, hence how they look out of place.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

ghetto wormhole posted:

Forgeworld being sold in stores seems pretty unlikely, they don't seem like they're big enough of an operation to handle the increased production that would require. The other two points are plausible though.

I dunno, if they set up the store ordering computer that they use for Direct Order only stuff to also do Forgeworld, it could be possible. However I think for that to happen they'd have to actually invest in Forgeworld's infrastructure, staff, and casting equipment. Alternatively, they could export the casting to China, which I don't think they've done yet.So far GW has been content to ignore Forgeworld, for the most part.

If it's true, thank the lords for resolving that stupid "opponent's permission" crap, but I certainly hope they'd have some staff writer oversight because Forgeworld pumps out lovely rules on a much more consistent basis than even GW.

For all the promotion they've done of Forgeworld stuff lately, I'm reluctantly hopeful that this is the case. Maybe the success of Warhammer Forge (Has it been successful? I don't even know.) caught GW's eye. And to be fair, you can already order Forgeworld's books from GW's website, so it's plausible that an expansion to also carrying their models could happen as well.

Devlan Mud fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jul 7, 2012

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Creepy Goat posted:

The 'insider' also claimed GW want to open up a FW production facility in the US, so it's possible, depending on how legit the rumours are as Mango Polo pointed out.

This is the biggest hurdle. I'm 99% sure that all their casting is still like three guys in a bombed out building in England handling all their stuff. For something like this to happen they'd need to invest heavily into resin casting production. Like say, they did with Finecast! If Forgeworld stuff was converted to Finecast resin, I could see this happening absolutely, since they already spent a ton of money investing into it. I think I just made a connection here that could lend some credibility to this rumor.

And let's face it, Finecast would be an upgrade for Forgeworld's casting quality.

VVVV But you'd be much more likely to get all the parts for your finecast model as opposed to the current setup. :v:

Devlan Mud fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 7, 2012

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

kannonfodder posted:

Explain? Android currently has 59% of the smartphone market, and the iPhone is down to about 22% last time I checked. So if they made it an Android app instead of iPhone, they would have nearly 3x the potential market.

To release something in the iTunes store, you need to support only two resolutions. to do it for android, you need to support every resolution ever, basically. That's why lots of things show up for Apple and not for Android. It has nothing to do with market share and everything to do with ease of release.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Dominion posted:

Infantry lascannons come 1 to a box of Devastators and like nowhere else, I think. You could probably get some IG heavy weapon team lascannons and do some conversion with a missile launcher marine to make a shoulder-mounted one.

They're two to a box in devastators. :toot:

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

PeterWeller posted:

You should still probably be able to get some. The lascannon option hasn't been popular for years, so there's bound to be some floating around in bits boxes.

Either that or if you need more marines anyways, just get devastator boxes. You'll probably only need three at most, get a butt-ton of heavy weapon options to save for later, and the command sprue legs are a nice variety of different poses you usually won't have.

Either that or find Space Wolf players to trade your missile launcher bits for their lascannon bits.

Dominion posted:

My fault, I thought it was two plasma cannons, 1 ML, 1 Lascannon, and 1...heavybolter?

It's two of each Heavy Bolters, Plasmacannons and Lascannons, and one of each Missile Launcher and Multimelta. Plus a bunch of cool servo-skulls, a pointing powerfist, a ton of odd ammo crates and command sprue legs, the best legs.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

The only other hammy thing I've finding, outside of "my assault super kill death squad cannot assault without getting shot anymore!" is people saying that Gunslinger is a specific rule that models have, not a general rule, even, though clearly it says any model with 2 pistols can shoot both pistols. Though outside of space wolves and I think blood angels, can anyone else take advantage of this?

Seraphim :toot:

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Canopies that haven't been masked and painted make me sad.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Nah, mask the glass parts and paint the metal bits that separate the individual panes.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Does anyone know of a 40k or Fantasy kit that features a severed ork head? I'm looking for one to round out a Tycho conversion, and I'd like to use something that looks dead as opposed to greenstuffing a neck onto a screaming ork head that looks very much alive before paint.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

My uncle who works for GW told me Tyranids are being phased out.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Quick question, I've been out of the 40k loop for ages. How good is the current Chaos Space Marines codex for actual Legion armies if I wanted to do one of the big four dedicated forces? I'm not expecting crazy stuff like in third edition, but is there a way to do cool things like Havocs with Blastmasters or an HQ with a doom siren and whatnot? Also sonic dreadnoughts. I'd love to do a proper Emperor's Children army with all the sonic fixins, but if I have to do counts-as I'll just stick with Night Lords or something.

Devlan Mud fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 20, 2013

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Ojetor posted:

There isn't a way, unfortunately. You can bring cult marines as troops with an appropriately marked HQ but that's about it.

That's what I was afraid of, ah well. I don't have to buy zounds of metal or finecast bits for Night Lords at least (not using the hilarious winged helmets, no sir.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Khorne Flakes posted:

No. The new codex feels even more bland and smashed together than the one in 5th. It feels like they wanted to do away with anything legion specific and make it more like SM where you can do anything. Vehicles/Havocs can not have anything different than regular marines aside from the two new vehicles CSM got. Noise marines got better, but the other cult troops seem to have taken the back seat and will become forgotten.

Chaos is what brought me into the hobby ages ago, but all the changes to models and fluff recently has made me shelve all of it with no desire to touch it again.

Yeah, I can't say I'm honestly all that surprised. It seems to me that Legion specific stuff is going to be stuck with the probably terrible ForgeWorld heresy-specific things, which I don't really think are chaos enough at all so far, and I'm not a huge fan of ForgeWorld models or prices in the first place. I'm alright with doing a Night Lords list, since I'm sure there's plenty of ways to get the flavor for the undivided legions in the regular codex by just taking certain models/units, but it's kind of a bummer that I'm gonna limit myself to basically a squad of all the cool cult marines, and they will stick out.

That said I've no intention for collecting and playing 40k again for anything but modeling fun (playing warmachine for two years straight really makes you realize just how much you miss building multipart styrene models) and for beerhammer with friends. I'll cope.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

The Gate posted:

Yeah, we wouldn't want jokes like that in our serious business plastic spaceman thread. :iiam:

We also want you not to type out "teh lolz" and other stupid retarded crap that everybody hates, SO.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

As much as I like the character sculpts for the Heresy models, I really hate the "throw them on a diorama base, bump the cost up 15 quid."

Hooray for an actually dynamic terminator sculpt for once. Boo for Abbadon's topknot not being tall enough.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

LordAba posted:

I cannot wait to see this. It will either be the best thing ever, or the worse. I know he's a giant snake man in his daemon form, but I can't wait to see how many boobs he grows.

Edit: Fuckbeans the Harradin is huge.

Eh, I'm guessing it'll just be him in his possessed by a demon form, not in his full blown demon-primarch form. Pretty sure none of the primarchs were elevated until the scouring.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Forgeworld remade the blood slaughterer as a goofy chaos beetle thing.

Also I'm totally going to make a khornate daemon engine army now. I MUST HAVE A SKULLDOZER.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

PeterWeller posted:

It would also invariably lead to min-maxed super builds as people figure out the best combination of upgrades to make unkillable 4E WHFB style super lords.

And honestly, does it really matter if there's 15 armory options when only two to three of them will ever get used? Because in practicality that's how late third edition 40k ended up.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Noctis Horrendae posted:

So I bought that DKoK army. Forgive me, God-Emperor, for I have sinned.
What's more important for a viable mainly infantry list - one or two tanks or commissars?

You bought a DKoK platoon, not an army.

I'm sorry.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Baron Bifford posted:

I heard the Tau employ human auxiliaries, but these don't appear in the latest codex. Where do they appear?

They were in Imperial Armor volume whatever: Taros Campaign back in the day, so I'd assume whenever that gets reprinted they might have rules again. I think they might have been in a Chapter Approved before that, but either way I'm pretty sure they do not have current rules.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Yah there was a Legion of the Damned Chapter Approved army list back in 3rd Edition so it's not without precedent for GW to release a supplement book for them, I suppose. Might mean some rad new Legion sculpts (probably will not).

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

WhiteOutMouse posted:

I am working on my unit of 20 seekers and as I file down mold lines I found something terrifying.

These mounts have tits. The daemonettes have a lump of flesh on their right side to represent their hermaphroditic nature as they are unholy sirens who are actually terrifying to behold but the mind sees what it wants; but they are nipple-less because there is no need. These mounts have nipples and the boobs are more, uh, boob shaped. I am disappointed with my toys, why GW, why did you do this? At least it is on the underside and probably will be hard to see. I might just file off all these nipples as a protest.

I scraped all the nipples off of mine. I'm not dealing with that creepiness.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Regarde Aduck posted:

Yes because meticulously removing nipples because boobs scare you isn't creepy at all.

Boobs don't scare me you fuckwit, they just have no place in a game of space elfs made for twelve-year-olds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I believe that is the standard bearer from the pre-plastic Cadian command box.

He's the limited edition standard bearer model that came in the IG army deal when their fourth edition codex came out. Fairly rare, but also pretty boring for what he is. I have one sitting around.

• Locked thread