Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Coffee And Pie posted:

I must have problems, because my first thought was "What is someone has an evil twin??"

We must get our top scientists on goatee recognition STAT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

blugu64 posted:

Fish'n'Slide or bust

Salm'n'Slide

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
It's amazing how slow big business is to update their poo poo, though I suppose it's not surprising.

I started working for a Fortune 500 construction company after college in 2006, and our cost management system was still in DOS. Everyone was surprised that 21-year-old me knew what it was.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Jedit posted:

"Sucking is impossible", said the rival inventor,

I knew my ex was lying.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Nutsngum posted:

Its a pretty big thing that people overlooked when film was being "miniaturized" in the late 90's to try and compete with the beginnings of digital. Chemical film size plays a huge part in the clarity of the image, particularly if you're trying to keep costs within a reasonable limit. Small was just plain shittier then 35mm.

Does anyone have any recent experience in film photography art? Digitial may be far superior for everyday and professional use but darkroom work was one of the highlights of my school days in the early 2000's and would hate for people to miss out on it now because of digital.

My ex teaches high school photography and they do a film unit complete with darkroom.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Jaguars! posted:

Was that the one where one of the troubleshooting procedures was dropping it to 'Reset the Diodes'? (Dude who told me that might have been pulling my leg)

It's not out of the question.

quote:

The fix Apple suggested in a technical bulletin was to lift the Apple III off the desk until it was three inches in the air and then drop it, repeating the procedure until the symptoms disappeared

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

razorrozar posted:

That was an overheating problem that made the chips come unseated; dropping it was supposed to knock them back into place.

Yep, just pointing out that "drop it to fix it" is plausible.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

HardDisk posted:

Yeah, apparently this is empty

It's called a refractory period.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Konstantin posted:

Hell, for a brief period some cell phones had a walkie-talkie function. I'm not sure if anyone actually used it, or how it worked, but it was advertised heavily in commercials.

I worked at a construction company 2006-2008 and our engineers used it constantly.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

ElwoodCuse posted:

What's the current status of laser eye surgery? The way it was advertised always made it seem low-rent and "will it gently caress up your eyes in 10 years? who knows!" If it was a super safe, super easy solution to 20/20 vision for everyone, would it really need to be advertised on buses and FM radio?

I had LASIK in January 2005 and went from 20/400 and 20/300 (left and right eyes, respectively) to 20/15.

I had my eyes checked last December and it's still 20/15.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

I hope you guys understand that console A/V stuff weighed a poo poo ton and for that alone I hate all of it. Having grown up in the CRT era I love how light LCDs are in comparison. My parents had a 30"+ Sony VEGA that weighed as much an adult male lowland gorilla and I almost stopped talking to them after I had to move it.

When I moved across the country, I gave my parents my 55" inch flat screen and had to move their old Sony big screen out of the family room. Taking that thing down the stairs SUCKED.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
I had a Nokia, and then another Nokia, and then another Nokia, and then iPhones.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

I could call her, but my cell phone only had 50 minutes per month and long distance was 35 cents a minute and OMG I'm old.

I teach SAT classes, and my students’ minds are blown when I tell them you used to have to pay per text message.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Platystemon posted:

I would be surprised if none of the ancients were aroused by the Antikythera Mechanism.

Just wait until someone unearths the sequel, the Antiurethra Mechanism.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

My very first phone :krad:

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Peanut Butler posted:

yah I was gonna say it went back a little bit further, I kinda miss the aesthetic of the clear/grey kind even though I generally prefer a more 80s smoked/hard edge/silver/woodgrain look

everything was so blobby, too, even before the iMac- my first MP3 player was the second (?) gen Diamond Rio, departing from the rectangular Rio to be in the shape of a thing that does not exist

90s and blobby, you say?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

boo_radley posted:

it was made out of magnesium for some insane reason

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Unperson_47 posted:

I still use a Linksys PCMCIA WI-FI adapter in an old-rear end Dell laptop.

This reminded me of buying an iPod before they were USB-compatible and having to buy one of these:

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

What are you talking about? They threw in a second comma, that’s a screaming deal.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Unperson_47 posted:

I would read a thread about Snap-On Stories.

Same, I need to find a girl to try that with.

Edit: misread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Michaeldim posted:

Here have a bizarre obsolete and VERY obscure Point of Sale system that runs on an equally bizarre and obscure operating system:

YPOSPOS bicth