Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Sir_Substance posted:

If I'm honest, I use emacs rather then vi because gently caress pressing colons and typing obscure sets of characters. People made meta keys for a reason dammit, what is wrong with the vi developers?

Which brings us to another piece of obselete technology.

Bask in the glory that is the space cadet keyboard:

From the days when men were men, and a keyboard that didn't have an infinity and all the equality symbols on it was a diabolical inconvenience.

Okay what does the Greek button do? Does it work with the Meta/Super/Hyper ones? When I press Hyper and Greek, does a fat man with a mustache come to me and complain about foreigners while he scams the government?

So many questions about that one keyboard.
I'm not sure if I want to know what the Rub Out button does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Flipperwaldt posted:

I swear to god that f.lux automatically adjusting color temperature of your monitor actually does something to ease you into going to sleep vs. constant daylight blue keeping you up at night.

Is free though.

Actual damage to your eyes? gently caress if I know, but it sounds pretty unlikely.

I spend way too much time on the PC and my optometrist hasn't mentioned any damage. My myopia has been stable for years, and outside of fatigue after long hours I can't really report any further effects. f.lux really is great though, it really improved that fatigue.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

spog posted:

Buy a laptop with pretty nice hardware and it comes with enough crapware to make it unusable.

Or the potential iPod-killers that required you to slowly reencode all your music.

HP is doing something similar, so many crap "HP Scanner Assist" or something on it. But it's not hard to just format it, generally speaking.

And gently caress Sony's re-encoding noise. The program was slow, buggy, and pretty much unusable for anything other than transferring music to my NW-1000A, and the later "updated" version was even worse. The player itself was very good, but it was a real pain to edit the library because of SonicStage.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

spog posted:

Not sure if it is still true now, but back in the XP days (last time I touched one). You had the added bonus that some of the drivers weren't available, except as part of crapware.

I've used Win7 laptops with all that junk in so it's definitely still a thing. Don't know if the driver issue is still there, but it does sound super scummy, thanks for letting me know (a friend is looking to get a laptop).

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Something very similar is standard for accounts here in Greece as well I believe, you can use it to do withdrawals and deposits etc. and get it printed with the account balance, amount changed etc.

Even if you do online banking, when you take it to the bank, your transaction history still gets printed too.

(A bit better explanation in the morning)

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Aardvark Barber posted:

That reminds me of this:

All of my childhood movies are filmed on those VHS-C tapes, and putting the little tape into the big one and hearing the mechanical whir is a staple of my childhood.

drat, we had one of those too. I remember seeing stuff like my baptism and the like. I don't think we threw it away, even, I'll see if I can dig it up in the morning.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Kopijeger posted:

Which reminds me: people referring to television sets as "flatscreens" when it's been years since they stopped selling (and probably manufacturing) new non-flat screens. Bonus if they are referring to them as though they were some kind of extravagant luxury item even though they are considerably cheaper than CRTs with similar screen sizes were back in the day.

I have a flatscreen CRT screen in my room. It's mostly used for my PlayStation to sit on, or sometimes as a temporary place to leave something.

Amusingly, I remember the left and right edges of whatever was showing on TV looking odd, because apparently the image that was being signaled was curved, so as to appear normal on curved screens. Not sure if that's true or not, but it always struck me as that kind of thing.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Fo3 posted:

Would it have mattered anyway? Sony come along and the rest is history. Old time companies like sega and atari couldn't even fight the console wars and make money.

PlayStation came out afterwards (late 1995 in the US/Europe), it was all about the SNES/Genesis in those times. Considering how Sega was actual competition to Nintendo then, the TG16 could have been a decent contender. Then again for all we know it might have taken sales FROM Sega, which could have led to the Dreamcast not existing for example.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Wanamingo posted:

Can't actually remember the last time I used one of those things.

I used one today (well my dad did). To install a tax programme. That came with the newspaper.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

This is why I love GOG.com--whether by intent or not, they effectively eliminated the guesswork involved when pirating older games. Is this torrent real? Do I need a compatibility patch? Where can I find a no-CD hack? Did the pirating team miss some DRM that will make the late-game unplayable when it fails a check? Is this file from DAbestTORRENTZ.ru full of viruses/malware?

Now, I can hop right over to GOG, pay a pittance, and instantly get a full, legal version of a game with no risk of viruses, compatibility issues, etc. They even include scans of the manuals and artbooks, soundtracks, and all that jazz for most titles.

It's far more convenient for me to grab something from there than to bother with pirated files.

This sums up my thoughts on the topic.

Between Steam and GOG, a significant amount of games can be obtained legally, with zero hassle and very little worry beyond system requirements. I think it was Gaben that had said, a few years ago, that "Piracy is a service problem", and yes, piracy is still around, but digital distribution has really reduced it I think.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Cat Hatter posted:

FTFY

(In a way Goatse, Tubgirl, LemonParty... made more sense though. "I tricked you into looking at something you wouldn't want to" is easier to explain than "Here's the music video for a decent song you weren't expecting")

That's one of the most :3: things about Rickrolling to me. "OHo, you thought it'd be something you wanted, but it's harmless, decent song hahaaaaaa gotcha!", it's 100% benevolent in that sense, no sense of malice or anything 'dangerous' like that. Not that people have died by seeing Goatse or whatever, but I wouldn't want to explain to a boss why it appeared in my history, for example.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Boiled Water posted:

I have a more pressing question: Why singe payed in cash at all? Are you in Greece?

A boss is mentioned, which implies employment, can't be Greece. :v:

I imagine :negative: would be more appropriate.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Krispy Kareem posted:

I get it, it's a tough name to pronounce. But why does Siri even know THAT word?

Swatch is a pretty famous watch brand, why would Siri not know it. :v:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

mng posted:

The Gatling Anal Destroyer

Don't doxx me please.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Mister Kingdom posted:

CRT-TVs went through an all-black to all-silver color scheme in the 90s/00s before flat screens became the norm.

I have a silver flat-screen CRT.

For a while, the sides of channels would appear fuzzy, and I eventually realized that it was because the broadcast was taking screen curvature into account.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

MSN was really popular in Greece too, at least the messenger stuff. The calls were clunky, and video was even more so, but it was pretty great, you had FONTS (Comic Sans) and COLOURS (obnoxiously loud) and EMOTICONS (invariably having one or two set to just one letter or some common combination, so that all your 7s were red and glittering). I remember the days with the odder names, people having names with non-alphanumeric characters, or other ASCII characters, the various discussions about the 'proper' Greeklish grammar/spelling, getting MSN Plus and having BBCode change my name, complete with gradient and everything... :sigh:

I still use my hotmail e-mail. Way too convenient for pointless poo poo to change it up.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I don't think it's very nice to eat in cars, but it feels a bit odd if they even had eating in a game like Forza. :v:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I think they'd be lynched for trying something like that.

Wrong way around, I think.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

flosofl posted:

Any writer's or producer's nightmare involves claims fueled by "you totally stole my plot idea/dialog/fan-fiction to use in your show". There are definitely authors that limit what sites they frequent and their level of fan interaction because of that.

I know that the head designer for Magic The Gathering literally stops reading as soon as something that even SOUNDS like a card idea appears, not matter how transparently not-serious it might be.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

VCDs were a thing in Greece for a while, I remember newspapers giving them away before they switched to DVDs for that purpose. I also remember double-sided DVDs, but I don't know if they were actually bad, or if it was just me.

Megabound posted:

One of my favorite pieces of hardware aesthetically was Sony's Walkman MP3 player, the NW-A3000.

I got mine in purple, the clear plastic housing accrued dust on the inside that was impossible to remove and in the EU version you had to put in a series of button commands to get into test mode to unlock the volume limit.

I had a teal NW-A1000 and drat was it all over the place. Loved it to bits while playing, I think the included headphones had a volume thingy which was very nice, but the software for it was the absolute worst thing. SonicStage, not even once. I think I still have the little 6GB HDD it had.

A friend also had another Sony MP3 player, with touch-sensitive buttons, but not an actual touchscreen. They were little squares, arranged in a 5x5 grid. That was so weird, but I can't find it. Not sure if it was a Walkman or not, though.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

So she wanted to take pictures of herself to put on social media for everyone to see, but didn't want anyone to know she was taking pictures of herself to put on social media for everyone to see?

I just don't get kids these days :corsair:

You might wanna take a pic for someone specific, or just for your friends, without alerting the entire train car full of total strangers that you're taking pics.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

I am perfectly sure that the Freestyle machines are secretly doing market research for coke so they know if there is enough demand for Coke Lime or Coke Orange.

If Coke Lime ever happens I'm selling all my organs except kidneys, and buying enough shares in Coca-Cola Co. to guarantee me free lifetime Coke Lime. I made some myself last summer, just juicing a lime inside a half litre bottle of Coke and it was divine.

You Are A Elf posted:

The hot chocolate, however, from that thing was loving amaaaaaaaaazing :coffeepal:

Welp, that's my beverage vending story. Thanks for reading!

What is it about vending machine chocolate that makes it so good? I've never had bad vending machine hot chocolate. I had a semester in France and either one of the 40c cup at the dorms or the 35c cup at the classrooms was way too good than it had any right to be.
The lemon tea at the dorms left a lot to be desired, it was like hot Ice Tea. Not entirely terrible as a morning pick-me-up, but not my cup of tea ( :v: ). Classroom machines had nice tea at times, but often the lemon and mint would get mixed up, unfortunately, so I stuck with chocolate.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Elliotw2 posted:

Considering that Apple and Google are removing/discouraging 3.5mm jacks in their higher end models, that "yet" might be sooner than you think.

My first smartphone was the HTC G1, which lacked a headphone port. You needed an adapter (Mini-B to 3.5). It was also one of those "sideways" things so it didn't go well with pockets, I ended up replacing it twice before I sold the phone to a friend.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Kelp Me! posted:

The Droid 4 is hands-down the greatest QWERTY smartphone ever made:

If I could get one of those with modern specs I'd be all over it in a heartbeat, the sliding mechanism was solid as hell, keys felt great and it really wasn't that much thicker than the average Android phone at the time.

That looks like everything my old HTC G1 wished it was.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Cba for screenshots, but the first things I bought on Amazon were a Simpsons t-shirt for my dad, a buckle-less belt and two belt buckles for me.

I remember being pleasantly surprised that they were here Monday morning, when I ordered Friday afternoon.

Are pre-paid cards obsolete? I remember them being the first measure of security when ordering online, so that your card info wouldn't have too much consequence (if they got it, they could only take how much you put in, which generally wasn't a whole lot), but I haven't heard of them being used any time recently.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Kelp Me! posted:

a lot of us became absolute masters at things like the single level in the Tony Hawk 2 demo and such.

I used to have that on a ps1 demo disc, and I must have played it so many times, without even being good at it. Mine must have been the only unchipped ps1 in the neighbourhood, too, now that I recall.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

ladron posted:

I don't think so, being an actual computer it would have at least a usb port, so might as well have a charging port too

Considering it's Apple, the wireless USB connector would just be a 90$ peripheral or something.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Collateral Damage posted:

From what I've heard, this is what kept throwing spanners in the works. Sony Corporation would make something that could have become the dominant media format, but then Sony Music and Sony Pictures would force it to be burdened with invasive DRM or limiting functionality because they're deathly afraid of anything that remotely smelled like it could enable piracy.

Wasn't it Sony that had CDs that installed malware on your computer when you played them?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Computer viking posted:

That's not my first computer, though. My grandfather used to teach at a community college, and saved a computer they were replacing. This lovely lump of 1979 vintage Swedish tech, which I got for Christmas in 1990, when I was in first grade:

(Again, not my picture.)

That's a Luxor ABC-80, a Z80-based 8-bit BASIC-in-ROM machine designed for the Swedish equivalent of the BBC Micro program. It came with thorough documentation, from the very basic "what is a computer anyway" up to "this is how to use assembly to poke at all the hardware", and as far as I can remember it was quite well written. As you'd expect, given how it was designed for teaching use.
I mostly used it to write simple BASIC programs and play games off tape - it has a monochrome screen at teletext resolution, extremely minimal sound (single channel, with just a list of fixed beeps and noises), and a decently fast BASIC interpreter.
I blame it for my later career choices.

Excellent username/post combination

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Zopotantor posted:

Before or after removing the asbestos/PCBs/whatever may be in there?

Those are structural

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Kwyndig posted:

Cats, in a computer office? Were they at least MS certified?

Not sure, but I'd imagine everyone would gave to use a trackball right?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Placeholder posted:

A friend of mine uses it instead of the shift key, it makes me irrationally annoyed every time I witness it.

How do they do special characters? Or do they just never ask a question or use classic emoticons?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

barbecue at the folks posted:

From debating cast iron to gas vs electric ranges to stick vs manual in a single page, this must be a new record

Toilet paper holders are obsolete, and probably toilet paper itself too, since you can just use a bidet, or take a nice shower with some soap too even

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

mlnhd posted:

What's in the box labelled "piss machine"??

I'd imagine a piss machine

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

ynohtna posted:

He'd better not learn about the apes.

And he can't even right-click them without a mouse!

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Trabant posted:

Byron Carter was an early car maker, killed by injuries sustained from the crank as he was helping a stranded driver.

Henry Leland, Carter's friend and founder of Cadillac, vowed to get rid of hand cranks. He hired Charles Kettering, who invented the electric starter but lead to an engine that was prone to knocking.

You know, I had never considered it, but I always thought that an electric starter was a small motor imitating the crank motion, I had no idea it was related to knocking

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Pham Nuwen posted:

It's just a small motor which engages the main flywheel, making the engine turn over, drawing fuel into the cylinders and making the distributor turn to provide spark etc. If the first engine to use an electric starter was prone to knocking, it was surely by coincidence, unless that first electric starter was needlessly complicated.

Ah that makes more sense, as well as the coincidence later.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Is the little bubble bloop sound on Englishman In New York intentional?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

goblin week posted:

Yeah torrenting music was never really viable. The real way to download music was looking for blogspots with links to mediafire uploads.

This no longer works because google no longer serves websites made by humans

Torrents and music are cool for larger releases. A guy I knew back in high school would get into a band, listen to a bit on... Not sure if YouTube was around then, actually...
And then he'd just search for "goblin week discography" on the torrent site du jour (probably Bay).

I once tried to find out more about Kino after their song on the GTA IV radio, but Kino also means cinema in German so results are mixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Taking a long drag on my unfiltered Gauloises cigarette before starting the countdown to end all life on Earth. As the clock ticks, I call my mistress, then my wife.