Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Jibo posted:

This makes me think of the time a couple of years ago where manufacturers were making a big hoopla about apps for your TV for Twitter and Facebook and poo poo. You don't really see that as an advertised feature any more, probably because it's kind of dumb.
I load up Pandora on my TV all the time, and quick Youtube/Netflix access is handy too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Jibo posted:

Pandora and Netflix are pretty different from Twitter and Facebook. My post was about how companies were using Facebook access as a selling point for televisions.
I agree then. I thought you were talking about TV apps in general. I don't really use Facebook or Twitter though, but it's possible it serves a purpose in that context too (browsing a Facebook album with friends/family, etc).

SLOSifl has a new favorite as of 23:13 on Dec 21, 2012

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

KozmoNaut posted:

Oh yeah I remember those, they were called ShowView codes here. Combined with a program-sensing VCR they actually worked pretty well.
They were called VCR Plus+ codes in the US. Yes, VCR Plus (plus).

Here's a Wikipedia article on them.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Computer viking posted:

Sure, but those don't get most fields pre-filled through the magic of the IRS already knowing almost everything about you.
Most major tax software/websites can import a ton of data depending on where you work, at least. My W2, retirement accounts and stock poo poo all synced for me, so I barely had to type anything. My wife's company didn't sync though, so that was all hand-entered.

But yeah, why do we have to go through all the trouble of filling that poo poo out when the IRS will *definitely* tell you exactly how much you owe them regardless of what you put in your tax return. You thought you were getting a refund of X? Well anyway you have to pay us Y *loving NOW*.

Just send a loving bill or a check then, jesus christ.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Nostrum posted:

This is a terrible quality video, but BMW e39 5 series cars with the nav system had this insanely stupid and complex mechanism for revealing the cassette deck. Imagine the level of German engineering that went into creating this dumb thing for a format that no one gives a poo poo about. The nav system was only available from 2001-2004. WELL past the point anyone would care:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXVaXPQuuuE
I had an Alpine head unit that did this for both tape and CD access. It got stolen from my 1981 Honda Civic along with Disc 2 of a 4-disc Led Zeppelin box set. I saved up all summer for both of those. :(

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Imagined posted:

Can we please keep talking about vi and emacs for like five more pages oh yeeeaaah.
There's a better thread for the conversation - a 17 year old newsgroup thread buried somewhere on Archive.org.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

nullscan posted:

Seconding this for Korea. The ATMs will even take it in and update all your transactions automatically. Pretty slick even if I rarely use it.
How is that any better than a phone app or website that instantly updates with all transactions, performed at a bank or not? I expected better from you, Korea.

edit: For the record, my wife works at a bank here in the US, and they still use bank books as well. Or more accurately, old people use them. They're called "passbooks".

SLOSifl has a new favorite as of 14:55 on Sep 9, 2014

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

duckmaster posted:

I remember at school in about 1998/1999 our computer teacher telling us about ridiculously expensive RAM was and how criminals, at least in the UK, would break into offices and just rip the RAM out of computers. He even showed us a video about this!

This site seems to tell you the price of memory through the years. I think my teacher was a bit out of date as the price for 1998 hovers between $1-3/MB but in the 80s it was $150-$8000/MB.

Its $0.0085/MB now. That's 117 times cheaper than $1/MB.
The first computer I remember my parents buying (as opposed to a work computer) was from Costco, and we added extra RAM for only $25/MB. For only $200 we went from 8 to 16MB!

My first computer had 5MB RAM after I upgraded it. It was just enough for Windows 3.11 and AOL. I eventually got Windows NT 4 on there before I scrapped it. I also got Windows 95 on there when it came out, but had to transfer CAB files from my parent's computer spanned over two floppies apiece, which took a long loving time.

Man, even typing MB seems wrong. My phone has 400 times the RAM of my first computer.

SLOSifl has a new favorite as of 16:02 on Nov 25, 2014

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Windows 95 did this too. I know this because I had to span ZIP files over two 1.44s to get the installation from my parent's fancy computer with a CD drive to my 25MHz AST Flyer with only a floppy drive.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Computer viking posted:

e:
On googling this, I found a thing I didn't know I wanted - a VacPan. Basically a small square vacuum cleaner outlet in the baseboard that you flip open/on with your foot and sweep stuff into.
Holy poo poo.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

EDI makes me want to puke, how perfect. It's literally like the worst you can do before someone says "we need to start over asap".

What's that, the customer accidentally changed the format of the files and don't know how to change it back in their software from 1987? And their big sale is TOMORROW?! Can they just hand type all 40k new prices instead because it will be faster than trying to decipher the new 400MB of garbage shitfiles they are trying to send us?

I had an old coworker who specialized in Clipper and still thought EDI was bad.

SLOSifl has a new favorite as of 15:59 on May 10, 2015

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

My Lovely Horse posted:

I recently got into Spotify and I'm torn between "this is fantastic" and "but what if they ever lose a license or the business folds or or". I mean, I remember other services that I used to use a lot and none of those is around anymore, meanwhile I've still got MP3s on my hard drive that I remember ripping years before then. I'm hesitant to really rely on streaming services but I'm definitely discovering a lot of good stuff through Spotify.
I'll tell you what I sure as poo poo don't have anymore - CDs in usable condition. I do have some very old rips of some of my favorite CDs from the late 90s, in WMA format DRM'd into digital trash, following my music collection around. Now I just stream anything anytime and don't particularly care about the back-alley licensing poo poo because whatever it is, it seems to be somewhere.

Yesterday I liked a song during some TV show's credits, and without even moving I had figured out what it was, legally purchased it, and downloaded it to my NAS before the credits ended. If there's anything to be worried about it's how easy that was. And that was only because I'm a loving loser with only a CD player in my car instead of a bluetooth-equipped system.

SLOSifl has a new favorite as of 21:27 on May 11, 2015

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Obviously that's a perfect reason. It's more likely those tracks will be on at least one service eventually, whereas the chance of your accessible collection dropping is pretty small though. On the other hand, my current opinion of my musical taste from 15 years ago is not very good. I'm willing to lose a little for the sake of sweeping up.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

DoctorWhat posted:

why would anyone willingly use up a data plan rather than storing their music locally? Music doesn't take up much space on a modern 32 or 64gb ipod/iphone/android device.
I have Sprint with no data cap, and you can just cache songs (or more conveniently, playlists) locally for travel if needed. I have a few Google Music playlists that I pin to my phone and tablet, and just add things to those to download them locally. There is no case where I (specifically me) need more than a few gigs of offline music at absolute most.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I noticed Google maps added very specific lane instructions. Use the middle lane to turn right, and so on. Very handy for me on a recent trip to San Francisco. On the cab ride from the airport I noticed the car's GPS didn't.

That's the real killer for the standalone GPS unit - even a 'simple' feature might be a full firmware update...might even have to plug it in to something. But if it does anything else it's just a lovely tablet at most.

SLOSifl has a new favorite as of 04:00 on May 13, 2015

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I loved sliding the window title bars around in BeOS. They even had some Mac and Windows looking themes and I think an Amiga one.

Had no multiuser support which was becoming more important at the time though. Clean API and neat filesystem.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Pham Nuwen posted:

I mostly use my HP-48, though.
I have two and am emulator on my phone. I still can whip through poo poo by muscle memory alone. Unfortunately if I stop and try to remember how the math works it all comes to a halt these days.

RPN is so clearly better. It's basically functional programming and allows more natural breakdown of operations. It's why I can still understand some of the math I learned a long time ago.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Fooley posted:

I guess there's still the anonymity side of it though.
"Anonymity".

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Vanagoon posted:

People still want to run as root and do ignorant poo poo like turn UAC completely off.
Turning UAC off silently fails any elevation request. People who turn UAC off are actually not running with elevated privileges, they just don't see UAC requests failing.

Why can't I install probablyavirus.msi? I turned off that stupid UAC thing. :( :( :(

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Besesoth posted:

No, I'm keeping settings in AppData where they belong, and I'm only reading from and writing to a folder in my account's user directory. (It's just a dumb little program that HTMLizes text files.)

RabbitWizard's suggestion looks useful, I might try that.
Does your application actually need permissions, or does your manifest request elevation? If so just change the app.config to not ask. If your application does actually need permissions, then give yourself write permissions to wherever it's writing...

Give yourself the required access, or tell the app not to ask.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Museums do that, and it's probably common in any industry where film preservation is ongoing.

While googling that to be sure I did find and interesting paper on using processed crab protein as an edible coating for cod preservation which may make other edible fish coatings an obsolete technology.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Vanagoon posted:

I'm grandpa I guess but I like having an actual OS disc in the event the computer gets hosed.
Modern Macs can reinstall the os over the internet. Windows probably supports something like that too.

BTW the internet is that thing your grandkids are using instead of listening to you when they visit.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Collateral Damage posted:

Not quite. But there's a "modern" implementation of Microsoft QBasic availble: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QB64
I started programming when I bought a QBasic book as a kid. I was visiting my grandparents and they had a MSDOS 2.0 PC buried in the attic. I had to figure out how to translate QBasic to GWBasic or Basica or whatever it had. I made some program that would draw a big smiley face and say "Hello, name" after taking some input.

Then I wrote a somewhat functional game in QBasic when I got home, programatically drawing tiles and sprites and then capturing the memory for use in the game, and using some DOS/BIOS functions to give me enough headroom to run AI and animations while drawing bitmaps all over the screen.

I still keep QBasic around just for fun sometimes. The DOS-based early VB stuff was fun to mess with in my highschool QBasic class too. For our requisite "Game of Life" I made mine a fully GUI application with mouse support for clicking on cells, with realtime readouts of population, death rate, etc. So much work just to make a mouse cursor show up!

I miss QBasic sometimes.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I know one of the points was to use "real" QBasic but holy poo poo at drawing sprites with PSET. The funny thing is, with a modern computer, it can probably actually keep up.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Vanagoon posted:

VHS.

I know at least some of you, like me, had to remove the lid of a VCR repeatedly to disentangle the tape from all the clockwork, and then from thereafter that spot in the tape would play a little funny.

gently caress Video tape.
I worked at a video store in the 90s, seriously fucks VHS.

Rental tapes were pretty heavy duty compared to the real trash you'd find in a store. If they were just played without incident and rewound properly, I imagine they would last for 10+ years of rental use easily.

This of course hinges on the tape not getting food in it, completely unspooled by a child, cut with scissors by an adult, chewed on, used in a VCR that currently had food in it, rewound with a drill, etc.

Usually people would tell us if "their kid" hosed up the tape and we'd check it, or at least mark it on the tape itself. Still, people often brought tapes back and complained they wouldn't play and then hand us an armful of crumpled brown plastic and an empty cassette. Or we'd just skim through it on a high-speed deck real quick and find it and fix it, for the minor problems like "this one scene in Titanic completely goes fuzzy" (yes the nude scene).

I pushed SO HARD for quickly adopting DVDs when they started to be viable. My boss gave in and got a few DVD players, I hooked one up to show people how much better it looked, and we rented out the players a lot, often for free to good customers. It was mainly to get tapes out of my life.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Halt and Catch Fire is pretty good though.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Eponine posted:

I was just watching Halt and Catch Fire this weekend when I saw the calculator that my engineer parents made me use in 2001:

Something in their minds thought that making me learn Reverse Polish notation would make me a better mathematician and a better programmer. Instead it made me queen of the hipsters or the nerds, depending on who you asked (usually the nerds).

The one my parents gave me had its own padded Naugahyde case and had different plates for different programs. But they failed because I'm terrible at coding!
RPN is pretty much functional programming. Even if you never "use" RPN in real life, you use it as a programmer. If anything, it helps to organize complex operations in a way that helps task breakdowns etc.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I don't want to carry a bunch of loving coins around.

I barely carry any cash these days anyway, but having a few small bills is handy, while I literally never take change anywhere but the bank or a coinstar.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

pookel posted:

I hate self-serve. Cashiers are about 3x faster than I am, and are better at bagging. I just want them to do it.
Don't use the self checkout lanes then for everyone's sake.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

ranbo das posted:

Chip and Pin is going to be the de facto swap to chip and pin for the USA, although from a consumer's point of view I never got the fuss. Doesn't that just mean that you have to memorize a new pin for each credit card you own? Seems like a hassle for pretty much no benefit to me. I get that corporations and companies benefit, so I can see why they'd like it.
The current transition is to chip and sig in the U.S.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

KozmoNaut posted:

I love each and everyone of these videos where a colorblind person gets to finally see colors, or a deaf person gets to hear, or the one where they put glasses on a baby and she lights up like a goddamn beacon at seeing her parents' faces.

Like "gently caress yeah, technology!".
I feel the same way. Really cool prosthetics too - like...holy poo poo we did it. The cochlear implant ones are always amazing, but I really liked this guy's "what the gently caress?" reaction.

You can't exactly toss a cochlear implant into someone's head and be like "happy birthday lol!".

edit: This one is great. The dude is trying so hard to act cool about it until he flips his poo poo over some flowers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnJ0vM17M7o

SLOSifl has a new favorite as of 21:15 on Jul 16, 2015

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I love my 40v electric mower. It came with two batteries, which is more than enough to do my front and back yards with room to spare. It folds up, can be stored in any orientation, weighs much less and is relatively quiet.

Using gasoline in a residential lawnmower is obsolete tech.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

mng posted:

I just installed it, as I was pretty annoyed at Google's keyboard I had installed previously. It was supposed to be better than Samsung's own, but I found the swype function to be a lot less accurate. SwiftKey seems slick, though.
SwiftKey has been my favorite for a while. The prediction is better than other keyboards in my experience, and the swiping works well. It's also the only 3rd party keyboard I've tried that doesn't crash constantly on iOS.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Computer viking posted:

Uh, I thought the US had joined the rest of us in "unlimited SMS included in most plans"?
Unlimited texts are easily available, yeah. I have unlimited everything including data and have for many years. I think some carriers still have minute-based plans though which is crazy.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

TinTower posted:

The only support I've had to give my parents with their Mac mini is printer issues. Which affect everyone; just ask SH/SC. :v:
Printers are somehow the most annoying technology even though they've been part of computing forever. There's probably a Printer Illuminati trying to implement a new wireless parallel port standard right now.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

The thing with USB daisy chaining was always a bandwidth problem. A keyboard was fine. A mouse was fine. Either one could hang low enough to not be a problem. Two hard drives was and still would be a serious fight with one controller and DMA.

Firewire had hardware all over the place which was always going to simplify things at the other end, but also cost more. Enough to put it in a separate "pro-sumer" price range that was never the commodity licensing scheme that the 90s economic model required.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Dick Trauma posted:

A standards of measurement change is no small thing and it's easy from my experience to understand the unwillingness old timers have to embrace Metric. Things worked fine for us as individuals so it was hard to see any benefit to switching. I was in England not long after the decimilisation of their currency and it was a similarly interesting mess.
It's not "old timers" in the US a least, it's everyone. And all signage, things like the spedometer in cars, poo poo painted on the streets. 300+ million people can survive solely on imperial units, and the benefit to switching to metric is a hard sell to most people.

I understand that 1000m = 1km and how that's all super great, but that convertibility is not useful in daily life. It really, really doesn't matter that the distance between places can be divided or multiplied by 10 easily. And water freezing at 0 degrees and boiling at 100 is also equally meaningless to daily life. There just isn't a tangible benefit.

SLOSifl has a new favorite as of 19:56 on Oct 15, 2015

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I think the one thing we can agree on is that decimal time is stupid. Our planet, the sun, the moon and our tilted axis provide our built-in physical base 12 time system. Of course, that relationship only specifically applies to our planet...so feel free to quote me and laugh in a hundred years.

"Earth based time system? Isn't that like having a time system based on prebiotic volcanic vent eruptions?"

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Plinkey posted:

It's actually way more fascinating than that. If you're interested buy this book:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Discoverers-Daniel-J-Boorstin/dp/0394726251
I am interested, thanks for the recommendation!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Light Gun Man posted:

Beats time rules for setting up parties in MMOs, as PSO showed us.
UTC is the same thing though, but not stupid.