Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Collateral Damage posted:

Didn't Glide cut a a ton of corners to get the performance it had though?

GLide was a subset of OpenGL, and implemented only the commands used by GLQuake and only in the way GLQuake used them, purely to demonstrate the ability to do real time 3D on consumer hardware.

It didn't really cut many corners, it was just so limited in what it was designed to do that everything that used it ended up looking same-y. Later revisions helped a lot with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Keiya posted:

You can be compelled to unlock things, because who cares about that fifth amendment thing right? Something that will kill itself is better in that sense.

U.S. law is actually a bit weird here:

You cannot be compelled to provide something you know (password, pin code, etc) under the 5th amendment right to avoid self-incrimination. A court can, however, compel you to provide access where there is reasonable knowledge of evidence present (unreasonable search and seizure). Sometimes, these two conflict, and unless you can afford the legal bills, you will lose.

You can, however, be compelled to provide something you are (DNA, fingerprint) without a court order. So, if you use TouchID or other fingerprint locking, the police can compel you to unlock the phone or otherwise 'open' the device, without the need for court intervention.

Thus, if you care about the contents of your phone, never use fingerprint, facial recognition, etc, as a locking method.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

PC World says the disks were DOS and CP/M.

Apparently the actual computer type is unknown, though.

This is because huge swathes of computers in those days were custom for that model.

Today, everything is a PC-AT clone, so all the operating stack from the hardware on up is the same. This was not the case previously, and each model of computer would have its own hardware stack and accompanying BIOS and operating system build. The closest analogy I can make is the different architectures linux supports, but even that is very standardized, with one ARMv7 system being much the same as another. In the days when the Z80 was still used as a CPU for personal computers, each system was very different from another, and the consumer could choose between different BIOS's as well as different operating systems, further complicating things.

The IBM PC-AT changed all this, when IBM tried to maintain compatibility between models, and then lost the court case against other manufacturers who were making copies (clones) of the system. Attempts to customize this system (IBM PS/2 or Tandy desktop) got shut out of any support by third parties, and effectively we are using the PC-AT to this day. The switch to x86-64 and UEFI is finally changing to a more modern standard, not just extending the existing one.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, those are all over the place in Toronto. They're great because you can choose a massive number of flavors as was mentioned. There are Pepsi ones at Subway now, but they always taste manky.

I am perfectly sure that the Freestyle machines are secretly doing market research for coke so they know if there is enough demand for Coke Lime or Coke Orange.

The Pepsi ones fail all sorts of usability tests, as the the machine lags behind responding to and updating the interface very blatently. It's also not obvious you can select multiple flavours just by tapping them. I never had one that tasted bad, but they will run a bit of the previous flavour, so make your selection, wait for it to pour a half-second, then jam your cup in there.

If I was a Coke (or Pepsi) shareholder, I'd sue if they weren't harvesting every iota of data possible from these machines. There is so much to be learned, and so many possibilities for A/B testing of products, that not having the ability would be negligent. Also Orange Coke Zero is surprisingly good.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

mystes posted:

Another interesting theoretical idea would be relay attacks where one person would wirelessly communicate with a card and another would use another device to essentially use that card at a genuine merchant's terminal in real time (the two devices could easily communicate over the internet at any distance). This probably isn't that practical right now, but it could become more of an issue in the future.

Part of the spec defines the allowed latency between request and return on information between the card and the terminal. You'd never be able to have a person far enough away to make it worth it.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

impulse 7 effect posted:

So the benQ range which can do 120 or 144hz is still not as good as a 20 year old monitor, even with the lightstrobe tech. People kinda eventually gave up on CRT because those monitors weighed 30kg!

For q3, a monitor which could do 100hz at 1024x768 with vsync off with the game running at 125fps was sort of a nice middle ground.

In general, any 17" CRT monitor could manage say, 85hz at 640x480 without breaking a sweat.

Input latency and fps is surprisingly one of the real Agamemnon/ Virgil 'of course his grandfather was even bigger and faster' stories that people just don't believe, today :)

CRT's had a direct inverse relationship between scan resolution and scan rate. The more pixels a monitor could scan, the faster it could scan a lower number of pixels.

Most people never used this ability for much, and LCD's had such huge advantages in areas people did care about, such as physical footprint, power consumption, and 'crispness'.

The whole story of how 60Hz was chosen as a baseline refresh rate is a huge failure of display and tv makers to bother doing any research into how people perceived images, and instead simply repeating what had come before with no thought or motive. I'm glad something seems to be happening to help address it, but I'm still disappointed that it's perceived as a fringe thing. A major OEM that pushed into this area (eg Apple) could improve their products hands on experience, without changing the base materials cost much at all, and really set themselves apart.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Measly Twerp posted:

Love working with cat6. Used to pull runs of cat5e from individual boxes, then we found a supplier that let you pre-order combined runs of cat6 at specified lengths, so you can measure your runs, order and then drag the run out and be done with 8 cables in the time it used to take you to do one.

Now if only you could have also pre-label the cabel.

What? You want to pull 8 cables down a run? Go out and buy 8 one thousand foot spools of whatever cable, number the boxes, stick a label on the ends of the cable corresponding to the box number they come from, pull them all wherever, update the labels to the actual location number the cable ended up at, pull some slack, cut the cable free of the box and punch it down. Repeat.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Johnny Aztec posted:

Please, remind me of the name of the one has has the lumpy head guy and his roommate that is a beatboxing eggplant. I really want to play this one.

Paradigm

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

JnnyThndrs posted:

Real men were using Win2K, even though the GPU’s ran at about half the frame rate as they did on 9x, ATI/NVidia didn’t get the drivers right until XP.

To be fair, that was Microsoft, not the video card makers. They’d forbidden video drivers in the kernel in the original Windows NT, which was good for stability but very bad for performance. Windows 2000 had changed this, but Microsoft guidance ( and therefor their DDK ) still has only the parts of the driver that touched hardware in the kernel, api servicing for things like directx, fonts, gdi, etc, still only happened in user space and the context switching was brutal. Eventually driver developers got their heads around ignoring the driver development kit, and MS relented on any enforcement.

All of them produced terrible, crash ridden drivers. That didn’t fade away until well into the windows 7 years, when the whql testing regime finally became comprehensive enough to actually catch most crashes.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

EvilGenius posted:

More on gas chat - I find it more consistent than electric. You have no idea how hot '5' or '10' is on an electric hob, and it probably differs between models. A gas hob might let different amounts of gas through, but you know from the size of the ring and flame how hot it is, because a gas fire is a gas fire whatever you've lit it on.

The biggest advantage to gas is that the heat is instant. Electric elements always have lag when adjusting the temp, which gas does not. Gas can also run much hotter, though it's rare to see that in home units.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Code Jockey posted:

Failing that, how's Mechwarrior Online these days? Can I play it with a stick, throttle and pedals like a pod? I just really want that experience again. :smith:

MWO is 100% a first person shooter, so kb/mouse are the only effective way to play. Occasionally people turn up playing with joysticks, but it’s obvious when it happens and they die fast.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lowen SoDium posted:

I just wish that Multiplayer BattleTech 3025 had gotten a full release. It was a blast when it was in beta, then they just pulled the plug on it.

That game had client side hit detection. That’s all I’m going to say.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Techmoan had a video where he talks about this, though he may have deleted it. He’s retired from his job ( which was government related, may have been BBC ) and has a good pension I’d guess he was bought out in a round of layoffs and didn’t do stupid things with the money. His wife is still working and also seems to have a good income.

All his YouTube stuff is funded by his YouTube stuff, he has enough views that it pays for his eBay hobby buying.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rexxed posted:

I wonder how Windows 10/11 support for floppies is. Probably fine knowing microsoft.

When you check out the latest Azure Virtual Desktop Windows image from the Microsoft Gallery and deploy it to a virtual machine, floppy support is enabled and a ‘drive’ present by default.

This is probably for some hellish legacy oemsetup.inf compatibility layer, but gods they could just have that be an option that is disabled by default.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Arsenic Lupin posted:

When I was a child/teenager, every single book on computers solemnly explained the difference between an analog computer and a digital computer.

Now I've seen an analog computer. drat.

https://youtu.be/s1i-dnAH9Y4

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

While 3.5" drives were meant to operate only in perfectly horizontal or vertical orientations, drives for laptops and smaller devices were designed to run at any angle. The actual 'how' of it I don't know offhand, but that's a start.

No HD with a voice coil driving its heads cares what angle they are when running, as long as you don’t move them around at all. 2.5” drives could take some movement due to lighter components, but they got drop/shock sensors pretty quickly and would yank the heads back to park if they sensed anything amiss.

Laptops, portable media players, etc, that used spinning drives all tried to keep the heads parked and platters stopped as much as possible, both to save battery and prevent failures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Arivia posted:

Did that actually happen? Playing video games on one breaking projection tvs, I mean. I remember that warning too and always being confused by it.

I’m not sure if it would break, but those early projection tubes were very sensitive to burn in.