Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Collateral Damage posted:

This was mid/late 80s. Google tells me most of those tapes were from the early/mid 70s.

Underfunded public schools. :sweden:

We had them here in Canada, though they were on cassette and by then they advanced automatically with the ding.

We knew them as filmstrips, but searching for that on YouTube only seems to produce results of a busty woman talking about nerdy movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Monkey Fracas posted:

Was looking for an image of Blade Runner on Laserdisc when I happened upon this:

My cousin's boyfriend does this during the winter months with a big screen TV, a stationary bike and YouTube.

I thought he was just weird and am shocked to find out that there was someone who thought to try to develop this into a marketable product.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Laserjet 4P posted:

I had this, played Descent with it once. Calibration sucks. In fact, the entire setup was much less effective than dual WASD for that game.

15-year old self made some really stupid purchases.

This one's going in the bin, the ones on eBay won't go away after 30 days of listing for $10. Not worth the effort.

I had one and thought it was great for MechWarrior 2. But yeah, it did take a long time to calibrate and set everything up.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Quote of the video: "Most PCs do not have three floppy disk drives even though I think it's a necessity today"

I've used and worked on a lot of computers from back in the day, but I had no idea there was a way to connect more than two removable drives. But if you have 8- AND 16-bit ISA slots, why not?

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Iron Crowned posted:

Considering I was like one of 3 kids who had a Mac, I knew how to reboot the machines without extensions and shut off Fool Proof. I got in trouble for installing the Marathon Demo and having death matches one lunch.

My junior high rolled out 25-30 machines running Win 3.11 that had some security program (Ace Win Lock or something) that limited functionality, particularly that I couldn't drop out to DOS. It was easy enough to get around though, since the program stored the password in plain text in the win.ini file.

The computer teacher was a little dismayed when I gave him a scrap of paper with the password on it. My parents were dismayed that I selected Parent Teacher Interview day as the day on which to do that.

And you can hide a lot of stuff on office/school/whatever PCs if you rename it to .dll and just sock it away in the Windows root directory. There's probably some equivalent for Macs, but I don't care because I hate them.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Computer viking posted:

There is also a small and vocal group that strongly prefers typing on hardware keyboards. I can agree that the BB keyboard is a surprisingly nice typing experience, but I wouldn't trade the screen space ... and not having to wait to get a version with a Norwegian layout helps a lot, too.

I think for anyone that has to use it as a professional device, where spelling and whatnot actually matter, software keyboards are a tremendous hindrance. My typing speed is down considerably since I switched away from my BlackBerry and I would desperately like to go back to touch typing. poo poo, I think I was faster with a 12 key pad before T9 was a thing than I am with my Samsung.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

The Twinkie Czar posted:

I think as late as 2000 I paid for an ebay auction with a money order. I would get the total from the seller, go to the bank or post office and get a money order in that amount, and mail it to the seller. The seller would ship after receiving payment in the mail. I think some would take a personal check but would wait until it cleared the bank.

As a Canadian, I hope there is special place in hell for every American that bought something from me via a money order and didn't have the sense to send the peach one instead of the green one. And yes, I would occasionally have to wait for some fool who wanted to pay by cheque too.

Anyway, the CD itself might not yet be an obsolete technology, but the writeable CD is certainly speeding towards that distinction. Maybe someone is still using them instead of any of the better options to back up data, but the last time I used one was to write an audio CD for a blind guy I work with.

CDRs seem to be getting more expensive and harder to track down in a physical store too, which is a sure sign they're heading towards obsolesce. I never see more than a couple spindles at a store, and they're approximately twice the price (per disc, many times more for data capacity) of a DVD.

Interestingly, the same blind guys tells me that Braille is generally falling out of use. If you have ever seen a Braille book, you would know why - they are huge. Apparently screen readers for the blind are quite accurate so there just isn't much need. He says it really only comes up on elevators and other public places if he can't find anyone to ask.

As for audio DRM, I would love to know just how much time and money was plowed into that was so easily circumvented with an hour to spare and a $1 wire from the dollar store. The same argument can be used against the cassette thing Jedit is positing - as long someone is going to listen to that tape once, they have played it exactly as many times as is needed to create a digital copy of it.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
One foot in the grave for on-demand movie channels brought to you by your cable/satellite company:

http://www.timescolonist.com/business/viewer-s-choice-pay-per-view-to-be-shut-down-in-september-bell-media-says-1.1206659

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Weird Al released an album this week, then said on a Reddit AMA that it might be his last:

"'Weird Al' Yankovic"[/quote posted:

I haven't made any real plans beyond the release of my current album, but since everybody's asking... I'll probably just be releasing singles (possibly EPs) going forward - I really don't think the album format is the most efficient or intelligent way for me to distribute my music anymore. I highly doubt that I would sign with another label. I guess I might be open to a distribution deal, but... we'll see. Anyway, I certainly wouldn't want to have my releases on any kind of a schedule - that would be too much pressure, and it might actually start to feel like a JOB!"

Earlier, he has said something to the effect that unique songs are getting harder for him to so since someone is pushing one out to YouTube pretty much immediately.

So, at least for Weird Al, the album appears to be obsolete.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

BuddyChrist posted:

Just emptyquote'n this because: Yes.

:psyduck: I'm confused, but probably shouldn't be.

Are you agreeing or trying to say that Yes albums are somehow support or oppose the statement?

If the later, could you expand upon the point some? I can sort see the argument I guess since they shuffled the lineup some and things changed drastically then shuffled it again and kind of became a combination of the two earlier sounds yet still something else.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

duckmaster posted:

I remember at school in about 1998/1999 our computer teacher telling us about ridiculously expensive RAM was and how criminals, at least in the UK, would break into offices and just rip the RAM out of computers. He even showed us a video about this!

This site seems to tell you the price of memory through the years. I think my teacher was a bit out of date as the price for 1998 hovers between $1-3/MB but in the 80s it was $150-$8000/MB.

Its $0.0085/MB now. That's 117 times cheaper than $1/MB.

I remember in 1996 rushing out of school (literally cutting class) because there was a sale on sale on 8 MB EDO RAM for $8/MB.

As I recall there was some massive fire at a plant in Singapore or something like that which caused a shortage in the late 90s.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

MondayHotDog posted:

Seriously? A real, actual corporation like FujiFilm was using floppies for backups in 2012? Is that common?

Startlingly so. There are lots of devices out there that work just fine for that they do and can only export information to a floppy. It seemed like a great idea in the 90s when nobody thought they would ever become obsolete.

And it isn't really feasible to just replace the machine because they are six or seven dollar figure piece of equipment that works fine otherwise.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
I always considered that one of the "deeper" hidden jokes in ReBoot that Hexadecimal's pet was named Scuzzy.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

cobalt impurity posted:

As a kid, the Scuzzy/SCSI thing is the only joke I really got on Reboot because my dad had gotten this bomb-rear end family computer and was talking about all the features.

I think it was when I got a gameboy and saw "dot matrix" above the screen that it clicked and I realized every loving thing in that show is some technology pun.

Oddly, Enzo wasn't. It was a placeholder name that just kind of stuck around. And Cecil (the thing in the diner) is both some old programming language but also apparently the name of a strip club around where ReBoot was made.

I've spent a little too much time reading the ReBoot wiki recently...

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

spog posted:

I'm reading this post on my latop, which has helpful stickers to tell me

Graphics Chip
Processor
Windows version
Optical disc type

And I have seen much, much worse.

I feel like those have been put there less as features to show off to one's easily impressed buddies than at the insistence of tech support people who have to deal with Mary in Decatur, IL, every time she calls up because she can't find the folder with her cat pictures.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Has anyone come up with a way to simulate that look of things recorded on that camera that used audio cassettes?

Here's an example, with all kinds of other stuff going on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGFsVwLOvoA

At least I think that one is genuine. It might have slenderman in there somewhere. Try not to stab anyone if you watch it.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
I would love to be in a store to witness a German immigrant asking the sales lady for a handy.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
The 1985 article about laptops really highlights some of the great non-forward thinking that could be seen in the past (though I will admit that I have never considered taking my laptop fishing).

Here's a snippet from my all-time favourite letter that hits on such a thin which was originally published in Big Blue Disk #16 from either November or December 1987.

Bob Talley from Nederland, TX posted:

I think that mice are nice where they belong - in traps, not in computers.
Wasn't it bad enough for computers to have bugs in them - now they have mice? Is
there no end to the vermin infestation? What's next - chipmunks? The meeses I
have tried were slower and less accurate than a keyboard. They may be nice for
games, but who cares? What's the matter with WORDS? Have we forgotten how to
use plain, simple words? This brings me to my other pet hate -the infamous
Icon.

Why Icons? Can't we all read English? Must we have cutesy little pictures
to tell us what to do next? Are we raising a nation of people who are computer
literate but English illiterate? One of the programs I bought and threw away
had a picture of of a hammer in it. I never did find out what it was supposed
to mean, but I know what I thought it meant - I should have hit myself on the
head with a hammer for buying anything so childish and inane. Expensive trash!
And just EXACTLY what do the scissors mean? Cut & Paste? Cut what? Paste
what? Paste what to what? What is the matter with simple words like "insert" or
"delete" or "move"? If I wanted to see a picture show, I'd turn on the Boob
Tube and let the over-paid, shallow minded fools like Merv Watchamacallit do my
thinking for me. My opinion is, if you MUST have pictures to run your computer,
you should really take up something that fits your mental aptitude better - like
knitting - or sky-diving, sans 'chute.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Someone wrote in for Issue 20 to disagree with Bob.

Jim Stephenson from Kalamazoo, Michigan posted:

BOB IS WRONG
I just have to respond to Bob Talley in issue 16. Now, Bob said an awful
lot, but I was especially concerned with his lack of consideration for the mouse
and icon.

"Dick Tracy Codes" are fine for you guys who can play these video games all
day. They're ok if you can remember them. But "MICE ARE FOR MANAGERS." I find
PC's useful, when I can work on them (but that's not very often). As a result,
I can hardly remember "cd\", let alone all the cutesy little "unwords"
programmers think should be English.

With icons and a mouse (or at least icons), I can very quickly get back up to
my useful speed. I think it would be best to have both available if possible.
The idea is to be able to function at some level even if you can't remember a
special code word. Then, when you really are up to speed, you can use the
code words. Just think back to the time you first started with computers. The
most difficult thing with starting up a system for the first time is all the
unintelligible code words and set ups just to tell the box that the tube is mono
ttl, not CGA or EGA or, heaven forbid, VGA??? So how about a little slack for
us dumb managers, if you can have both code words and pictures it couldn't hurt.
Maybe we'll be so happy to be able to function better, we'll buy more PC's.

Yep... tough day at work for me...

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Lowen SoDium posted:

Actually you can still get new motherboards for modern CPUs with ISA slots. They are usually for industrial purposes where you have some old controller card or something that is only available in ISA. They are also very expensive.

http://www.interloper.com/products/product-details.php?productid=115510&cat=105

Only $450 an I can plug in my old Roland card AND a CGA adapter!?

Or, you know, get ten of them for that much (assuming direct memory access isn't required) http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/PCI-to-8-bit-ISA-convertor_1927507505.html

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Oh my god. Can you imagine selling products so bespoke and niche that you could just like.... allow that website to be shown to the world? Knowing full-well your customers will have no choice but to type their CC info into it? Geez

Lots of stuff that isn't for the consumer market looks like rear end. Here's a website that provides radio broadcast technology to large portions of Canada: http://www.oakwoodbroadcast.com/specials.asp

And the less tech you get, the worse the websites are. Sometimes there aren't even any. Like if you want to order bulk quantities of gravel, at best you'll find something that looks like a print brochure translated into HTML and sometimes not much more than a glorified white pages listing for the local supply company. Same with tubular steel, assuming you need more than the 6 foot lengths that Home Depot probably has for sale.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

pookel posted:

Of course, sometimes it's about money, too - I'm not the only one in my workplace who has a pirated copy of AutoCAD at home to dink around with. My workplace pays thousands for me to use it there, I'm not going to spend that kind of money just so I can occasionally test something out from home.

I think the companies that make those products don't actively encourage people (especially students) from outright pirating their software, but they also don't much care because they get it that the enterprise side of their business is really all that matters.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

bigtom posted:

Radio people are some of the most resistant to change...ever. I have older jock friends longing for the days of carts and LP's and doing production with razor blades.

Eff that - gimme Adobe Audition and NexGen all day long. I can at least back everything up when the automation crashes....

Until about 18 months ago, one of my jocks refused to access the newswire from anything other than a 386 that was connected to a dot-matrix printer. We still have both him and that 386, I think it finally broke or something. Maybe we just turned it off and he couldn't figure how to get it going again. He racked up an $800 cell phone bill (personal, thankfully) so he isn't the best with technology.

My station's automation software is from a company that went out of business ten years ago. It mostly works, but it does give out from time to time, meaning there is occasionally a stretch of like 40 minutes overnight where we go silent. It will reset at the top of every hour, which I guess is better than waiting for me to get in at 5:30 to reset the system. It would have to wait until then because naturally we don't have a system set up to notify anyone of extended dead air, or even a backup unit that will kick in.

Our resistance to change was driven by finances rather than curmudgeons though. Thankfully we should be upgrading this year to iMediaTouch. I will miss some of the comical things that could happen, like when ELO started playing when I meant to insert the Eli Young Band.

So I can kind of understand the longing for the days of LPs and carts because it meant that someone had to always be there to keep the music playing. And it must have felt a bit more hands-on, especially at a station where the jock would have been allowed to do their own music selection.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

KERNOD WEL posted:

Dunno if its just an urban legend but supposedly that back before radio got computerized and automated, if you heard the full version of Won't Get Fooled Again or Kashmir there's a good chance the DJ was off taking a dump.

Not urban legend at all. You really knew something was up if you heard In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, Whipping Post or Alice's Restaurant on any day that wasn't Thanksgiving.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Our radio group's antiquated automation program does the same thing, and I happen to live just a three-minute jog from the studios. Guess who gets to go put us back on-air in the middle of the night or on the weekend?

If the classic rock station's the one that's gone down, I switch to manual and play "The Ladder" by Yes--it's 9:30 long, and it takes just over nine minutes to shut down and restart their automation system. I've been using that song as a timer for so long that now whenever "The Ladder" finds its way into actual rotation I get a bunch of texts and emails asking what's wrong :laugh:

We have a few backup CDs we just toss in with IDs and stuff, keeps things going until everything is working again. Assuming someone is in the building to put it on which there may not be since we have only nine hours total of live programming each day. A bit sad really, especially as there is, like someone else said, no training ground in the overnight shifts.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

robodex posted:

(unlike a lot of college stations, which just sort of let people do whatever.)

I purposefully avoided getting a show at my college station because it was, as best described by Strong Bad, "utter misery"

For any who were interested: http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail120.html

Do flash cartoons qualify yet as obsolete technology? Or at least Home Star Runner?

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

robodex posted:

Without getting into too much detail, a lot of college stations are really bad for actually training you to do "real" radio, since they basically involve sitting someone down at a board, giving them a rundown, and saying "have fun." The school I worked at actually ran it like a real radio station, so when you graduated you actually knew what the gently caress you were doing :v:

(It boggles my mind that there are so many college radio programs that don't run their stations this way.)

At mine, we had classes that taught you how to run it like a real station, but the license was actually for a community station, so technically we'd have to give any Joe Blow the chance to sit in and run his own show. Just like cable access TV. Or something... They did away with that class and the station folded a couple months after I graduated and is on-line only now.

The bits that were instructor led were generally fine and about as polished as a group of people with only theoretical instruction in the creation of radio could manage. The rest was exactly: "um.... [dead air] so yeah.... [dead air] here's Weezer.... [song by .38 Special]"

Oddly, both of the stations headquartered at one of the city's universities are much better run even though neither has a program specifically designed to graduate people to work in the media.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Also, I'm legitimately concerned that the fire will finally die out before local/regional stations realize that the only way to spark interest in broadcast radio these days is to put living, breathing people back behind the mics :smith:

BUT MORE MUSIC LESS TALK WEEKDAYS!!!

You are right though. Aside from the people that can't access anything else, talk (be it information or entertainment) is why people want to listen to the radio. There will never be a local weather forecast on Spotify and you will never find out what is happening in your city (assuming you don't live in New York, L-A or Chicago, maybe Nashville if you like country) on Sirius X-M.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

pookel posted:

Here's something I miss doing:

My smartphone is great for texting, surfing the internet, and playing games, but it kind of sucks as an actual phone. Hands-free is basically impossible.

Go hog wild:

http://www.amazon.com/Native-Union-...PD9B2A98PANV5DX

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Keith Atherton posted:

Also back then it only took 5 digits to make a local call. And your phone had a circular ring dial mechanism and you rented it from the phone company. You couldn't buy a phone.

We had a government run phone system until 20 or so years ago and they made you rent a phone for every line you had. Since privatization, they have allowed for people to buy and use phones not supplied by the phone company, but made little effort to get people to return the ones they were paying to rent. About a year ago I happened to look at one of my parents' phone bills and they were being charged about $3.50 each month for phone rental. That means they spent more than 800 dollars renting a telephone over the past two decades.

I have also been to places within the past two years that are so small everyone has the same exchange so they will only give you the last four digits to their phone number.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Non Serviam posted:

First Internet memory is using the computer at my mom's office to search for WWF stuff (on yahoo).

It took me a moment to change my frame of reference for what you were probably looking up, because at first I thought you were looking up pandas.

My first online memory was looking up stuff from the O.J. Simpson trial.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
These things are still for sale. Amazon has a... confusing... message their use.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

dpbjinc posted:

We still make 1˘ coins in the U.S.

They cost close to 2˘ to mint and ship and are largely useless.

United States currency has to be the most depressing currency in all the world. It is just so boring, a dead old white man on the obverse and a bland building on the reverse. The only decent one of the lot is the two dollar note and those are super rare.

And I really have no idea why you people insist on minting dollar notes like it is the 1930s. It apparently costs the American taxpayer nearly 15 million per year to keep cranking those things out over what it would cost to mint coins, and yet the government keeps doing it. Why? Because apparently enough traditionalists froth at the mouth whenever they might have to slightly alter a minor part of their lives. Stop listening to idiots, it will result in a country that is better managed.

Here in Canada, we have really cool money. We've abandoned the one and two dollar note in favour of coins. No, our pockets are not so laden with metal discs that our pants fall down. Yes, we have polymer notes and they have interesting things on them, like naked ladies and a spaceman.

Though to be fair, the astronaut is a relatively recent addition. Before that we had to alter things ourselves

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

A good watch A+++

pookel posted:

Dollar coins would be a big improvement though, imo. Up here in North Dakota we were big fans of the Sakakawea* dollar coin, but it didn't really catch on. :(

* NOT Sacajawea. She was a local girl, dammit, and we spell her name correctly, as it was pronounced. There's even a lake named after her here.

I'm in Winnipeg, so I head to North Dakota pretty much any time I need to do some cross border shopping and I always get a wad of smelly one dollar notes instead of coins. Are the cashiers detecting I am not Norwegian enough to be a local and issuing me paper currency to keep the coins for themselves?

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

carry on then posted:

Looking through my change pile, I have a nickel from 1961 and a quarter from 1967, so they're definitely still out there.

If the coins from before then weren't made of precious metals (silver mostly) you would probably find those circulating still. For instance, I sifted through small jar of pennies I had on my desk and was able to find all five portraits featured on the Canadian penny since the switch to the two maple leaf design.

1943, 1962, 1969, 1998, 2012

I shined the older three up a bit to make them easier to see (ketchup, in case you ever need to do something similar, ruins the value for anything though so don't). It would have been unusual to find King George money, but I got that in my change in the last 12 months of the penny's circulation, so it isn't unheard of. Basically people would only hold on to stuff with a different design, which generally means commemorative issues and prior designs.

At least that held true until the Mint here started issuing commemorative designs all the drat time. Now I only make an exception to set aside the quarters struck in 1999 because they are a loving embarrassment and I hate that they are in circulation.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

sweeperbravo posted:

What is this commemorating? Was the first grade of 1999 super impressive?

Or was this some thing where like a bunch of kids died and I'll feel like an rear end in a top hat :smith:

Nobody died.

The whole thing was for the millennium and they did 12 designs in 1999 and another 12 in 2000. Here is some info that shows the 11 other months were less embarrassing. http://www.downtownstamps.bc.ca/coins/sales_coins_99.html

pookel posted:

Is that fake? Can that possibly be real?

I'll assume you mean the phone. Whomever bought the Commodore name however long ago is just slapping the name on a generic android phone and including an emulator.

Antifreeze Head has a new favorite as of 19:24 on Jul 15, 2015

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

beato posted:

I'm interested in this comment. Is a coin more valuable covered in grime or does the ketchup destroys some part of the coin?

Both, to an extent. And just to be clear, by value I mean the value to a collector as obviously the face value of the coin remains the same.

The cleaning in this case isn't grime exactly, but patina. Legitimate grime, like if it was in the mud or something, that should be washed off and can be done with just clean water. The patina is preferred because to a collector because that is the coin in its natural state, as close to original as it could be at the time they get it. And polishing the penny with ketchup or whatever does remove some metal, meaning the features of a coin are diminished and scratches can be left behind.

If you don't believe me, you can prove to yourself that copper is removed with a fun science experiment!

Grab 20 or so dull looking pennies and dunk them into vinegar. Swirl them around a bit, let them sit, and you will see they probably get a bit more shiny. Take them out and dunk in something steel, a paper clip, a nail, or keep to the coin theme and use a quarter. Give it a few hours and the copper will start to bond to the steel. You can run a control if you want and toss that steel thing into some vinegar that hasn't had any pennies in it, but being that vinegar normally contains no copper, it has to be from the pennies. That is also why the vinegar turned green.

Antifreeze Head has a new favorite as of 22:28 on Jul 15, 2015

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Double post just because.

Drone_Fragger posted:

British coinage is great because if you flick pennies out of a car window while traveling at speed they tend to hit other cars fast enough to smash windscreens. Good times.

UK coins are seriously thick. Here, from left to right, is a Canadian 25 cent piece, a United States 25 cent piece and a British 10 pence piece. They all have the same diameter, but you can see just how much thicker that 10p coin is.

I also don't much care for the Queen on the 10p coin as she looks rather fat and angry. Nice that you lot include the crown though, the current queen we use just looks like some random old lady who had a snapshot taken after church.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
I found a 2007 article on ComputerWorld about some tech flops, which has some definite failures (Apple Newton, DIVX, Microsoft Bob) but also some things that were written off as dead yet seem pretty commonplace now, less than 10 years after publication.

For instance,

ComputerWorld posted:

E-books

E-book readers started being sold about 10 years ago and are still being developed. The most recent entrant into the market is the Sony Reader. But they're still a flop.

The article was published in April of 2007, the Kindle released in November of 2007. Tablet computing gained popularity a few years later and now they pretty much all come pre-shipped with a few e-books. I guess there is an argument to be made about dedicated e-book readers flopping, but you could almost use that same line of argument for any device which a smartphone includes in its repertoire.

ComputerWorld posted:

Speech recognition

Over the years, Bill Gates (among others) has repeatedly predicted that speech recognition will be a major form of input, but it hasn't happened yet. Part of the problem is that, even with 99% accuracy, there are still a lot of errors to correct. Plus, many of us use computers in public places where speech recognition would be clumsy, embarrassing or downright rude. Still, the technology continues to improve, and it is being used in niche markets such as in medicine. Maybe someday it'll make it to the rest of us.

Siri, how wrong was ComputerWorld about voice recognition flopping?

There is that obvious qualifier there about the tech making it available to everyone, and while it does have its problems, I think it is safe to saw voice recognition didn't flop.

ComputerWorld posted:

Internet currency

Remember Flooz and Beenz? These two Internet bubble vendors arguably deserved to die simply because of their goofy names. They provided online currency, which many dot-com proponents in the late '90s considered the secret sauce that would lead to the wild success of e-commerce.

I'm not exactly sure how to qualify this one because obviously BitCoin and its ilk are a Big Thing (TM) but their use seems pretty constrained to crazy people and media savvy businesses who understood a proclamation of accepting a crypto currency was a fast track to free ink in the newspaper.

Another fun article from 2007 has 30 technology predictions that turned out to be dead wrong. I think these are safe in calling out how completely wrong the predictor was, though this one sticks out:

ListVerse posted:

10. “Nuclear-powered vacuum cleaners will probably be a reality in 10 years.” -– Alex Lewyt, president of vacuum cleaner company Lewyt Corp., in the New York Times in 1955.

I don't think this was completely unreasonable to believe at the time. Had the many safety concerns been easily remedied, there would be all sorts of nuclear powered devices. But considering how many warnings come with a box that heats bread, it is probably best that this didn't pan out.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Phanatic posted:

Is Siri really the example you want to use there? I don't think I've ever successfully used it for anything completely non-trivial. It can't find me the nearest coffee shop along my route, it can't find me a public parking lot in Ocean City, it's not hooked in to the platform's other flagship apps (Like, "Siri, rate this song 4 stars" should actually be a thing, as should "Siri, add this song to [playlist name]."

Does anyone think Siri's anything more than a gimmick? What do you use it for?

I don't use Siri for anything since I have an android. :smug:

Really though, pointing directly to Siri is perhaps a bit snide, but speaking of voice recognition as a whole I certainly wouldn't say it is as fully featured as it is on Star Trek, but it is well past the point where it can be considered a flop. Your examples of non-trivial things voice recognition can't yet do rank towards the top of my list for completely trivial use, but it works fine for getting an address into the GPS. That seems non-trivial to me.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
My grandmother had eye surgery for cataracts. She isn't too much with it anymore, and knew it only as the laser eye surgery. I swear I am not making this up, but she told us that she wishes she never had it because now she cannot wear plastic-frame glasses because she is afraid that the lasers in her eyes will cause them to melt.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

davidspackage posted:

Does your grandma sometimes shout JEEEEEAAAAN?

At least then we would have known she was telling a joke, though how she knew about the X-Men would have baffled us. And maybe it was a joke that we just didn't pick up on it. It is sometimes hard to say what is going on with her because sometimes she can't even figure out how to tune a digital radio (like, the sort that doesn't have the wheel to move to adjust the tuning) and she will refer to the Apple store and Applebees as if they are the same thing. I mean, I am sure she would have if she stood in each of the different businesses, but having never been to either, they were one in the same in her mind. On the upside, at least she is with it enough to know Applebees is pretty poo poo, but it is generally horrible because she sometimes has no idea what is going on in the world and gets upset when we point it out, so we've taken to just letting her bask in her ignorance because it is easier on us.

That's bleak, so let's look at a bit of medical quackery:

Coincidental premonition there with the colour of the light considering how some 100 years later a little blue pill was going to do what this hoped to.

I took that photo at the Quackery Hall of Fame at the science museum in Minneapolis (which is really in St. Paul). Worth having a look if you end up passing through, and it has a mummy on display in a corner that is rather oddly plunked down in a corner and surrounded by interactive exhibits for children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Everblight posted:

Wrong. Dreamcast was killed off by the widespread availability at the time of CDRs and CD Burners, and the fact that they did absolutely no piracy control whatsoever, so you could just burn a game onto a 40c disk and play immediately.

Piracy is generally just a response to an inefficient or overpriced market, but hooollleeee poo poo did Dreamcast screw the pooch on not making it at least marginally difficult.

It wasn't dead simple to get the game ready as an ISO, but once that work was done it was pretty simple.

Better than the Sega CD I guess which had no copy protection what so ever, though at the time the fact it was on CD was its copy protection as commercial burners were approximately two console generations away.

EA abandoning them didn't help either.