Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

That's not a wqerty keyboard :stare: . What were they thinking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Kidney Stone posted:

Might be because that's a French keyboard layout?

I never before thought I would pity the french.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Blue Square posted:

gently caress me, teletext still exists? Now I've seen everything, in the UK it was useful for having an accurate TV guide given the issues with last minute program changes but everything about it was absolutely awful. I have to admit it was kind of cool (for five minutes) to browse if you were off school sick to see how inventive some pages were but still, how on earth in the age of having the internet available on demand across multiple platforms is that even still alive?

I don't have a computer and a tv in the same room, it's a quick and easy way of looking up whats on TV and news/weather.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

ZanderZ posted:

Why the hell don't they just make a touchscreen gaming tablet? I play mobile FIFA more than I play PS3 FIFA and the only downside to a touch screen, analog stick (vs a physical analog controller) is when my hands get too sweaty.

I thought the Vita was touch screen on both sides.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Aphrodite posted:

No it's because the games are $1.

That's also how you hold the Vita.

And the PSP, actually.

What's wrong with your fingers?

The difference between vita and ipad in Denmark is a factor 10. It just makes no sense to buy a Vita.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Iacen posted:

Unless of course you want to play games like Gravity Rush, the MGS collection and the Vita-enabled catalogue of PSP-games :)

Which will still cost me a boatload of money compared to smartphone games.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I for one would like to see a graph of cooling efficiency of water versus air cooled.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Yes they do. When the heat has gone from the CPU into the water what do you think cools the water?

It's a fan.

Unless you're boiling off the water but that might be too much for the electronics.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Jedit posted:

Guild Wars 2 costs £50 for a digital download and £30 for a physical copy. Do you understand it now?

Also, a lot of people still burn their own CDs and DVDs.

I understand even less now. A download should be cheaper.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Chocolate Teapot posted:

Only Sony could be so devious! :argh:

I mean, seriously?

This is what they did.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Mu Zeta posted:

I can't name a specific European country but I remember reading a bunch of complaints when a website (giantbomb.com) was offering memberships but only accepted credit card. A whole bunch of people from Europe bitched and said they needed to offer Paypal because credit cards aren't as common over there. Maybe they are from some smaller country like Slovenia, i don't know.

Sometimes I do feel like we're in the stone age in the US when I see old people paying with a check. It's incredibly rare though. I don't carry cash ever and use my card for everything. The only time a check is needed today is for paying rent.

Credit cards are very uncommon, debit cards however are not.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

larrystorch posted:

I worked with ancient CNC lathes (1988 vintage) that used tape readers and to save space, they omitted the decimal point in the code. 1.0023" = 10023.

That really is one of the worst places to save space.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Farbtoner posted:

In retrospect it is pretty ridiculous that we spent decades sitting in front of what was effectively a giant ray gun at work and at home.
You're still doing it but producing the 'rays' in a different manner.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Donkwich posted:

Are door locks banned where you live?

No mum just took all the keys :v: .

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The danish parliament still has one.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

step aside posted:

What is steampunk sex anyway, do you use steam powered condoms?

Victorian view on sex ie. nothing.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I know it's a pretty stupid question - but why the hell is it apparently so difficult to build a sensible, reliable train?

It doesn't have to be. The Danish IC3 series has been in service for 15 years and going strong. Made by Bombardier Transportation in the late 80's and introduced in 1991 and still going strong. Together with the S-trains they form the backbone of Danish rail transportation. The best bit though is that they are made for comfort as seen in the interior:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

It also allows for quicker recovery in case of a terminal crapping itself. I work with a standard laptop but all the files in a strange state of being both on my laptop and the server. I've no clue how it works but it's marvelous.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Did you have to turn the Video2000 tape around to get the other side like a cassette tape?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

DicktheCat posted:

Half seriously, though, kind of gently caress smartphones. They suck as phones, but they play cute games and work as an mp3 player, so eh. I kind of don't like the touchscreens,though. I can call on a regular phone without looking, while I misdial half the time on a smartphone while trying very carefully to call someone. I even have tiny little fingers, so what the hell.

What's it like living in the twilight zone?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

KozmoNaut posted:

I've just ordered a Kobo eReader Glo (it has the same frontlight tech as the Kindle Paperwhite), since e-ink devices have reached an acceptable price level to me. I tried reading ebooks on my tablet and on my phone, but it just doesn't work all that well. E-ink really is something you have to see in real life to appreciate the benefits, it's hard to show it off otherwise.

The only convincing image I can think of would be a comparison between a tablet and a kindle in bright sunlight.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Inspector_666 posted:

Swipe is the only way to type, dude.

But does it work with any language besides american english?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Horace posted:

I'll accept that manual gearboxes are almost obsolete now that modern automatics have reduced or removed the economy and performance penalties of a traditional auto, but they're still hideously complicated pieces of machinery compared to a manual box and I don't expect them to ever replace manuals across the board.

Electric cars don't have gears at all so soon it'll all be for naught.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Then a war we shall have since petrol prices and reserves are only going to go one way.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Geoj posted:

Most electric cars have a single reduction gear between the motor and the drive wheels, but you are correct that they don't have "gears" in the traditional sense of a multi-geared transmission.

It will probably be a long time coming before purely EVs replace ICE and parallel gasoline/electric hybrid powered cars.

The same is true for hydrogen cars which again, near future thing.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Do you also have to stand in the toilet to shower? We may have a similar apartment.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

This is very recent history by the way. My father, who is 60, had a shared toilet in the courtyard. This was in the late 60's.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Glorious People's republic?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

South Korea exclusively uses Internet Explorer for online banking. It's literally the law.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Sir_Substance posted:

If there is a god, obsolete technology soon: aeroplane mode.

Airplane mode will stick around. In future when your kids ask why the 'turn off all radios' symbol is an airplane you'll get to tell stories. Ditto about the save symbol.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Pham Nuwen posted:

I don't know what's wrong with just writing "save" on the button, there's nothing worse than trying to guess what the gently caress that little 25x25 scribble is supposed to represent.

It works fine in the world where everyone is american and speaks gods favorite language.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

dissss posted:

SCART still took less space than the 5x RCA connectors needed for component video + stereo audio

Not that this was ever an issue since any CRT tv would be huge.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I don't think 1950s america put much thought into how their houses should be recycled.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I went through the 80's one and you can feel the moment Nutrasweet was demonized.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Couldn't you replace it with a DAC and then whatever your favorite digital connector is?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Industrial chemists call it "inspirational" :ohdear:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The us very much is behind the times. I believe banking software written in cobol is to blame.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Jerry Cotton posted:

My brother's rear end in a top hat boss once paid him his wages in 500€ notes. He was loving destitute despite having a few grand in his wallet.

Has no one told him about banks?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I have a more pressing question: Why singe payed in cash at all? Are you in Greece?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Lowen SoDium posted:

Hard to call the OG Xbox a success, at least financially. Microsoft lost money, hand-over-fist on that console.

They didn't profit finacially but they got the in they wanted in the console business.