Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Byers2142 posted:

I got into a group last night with a very "helpful" teammate. I was running a Human Adept and was going weapons-lite, powers-heavy for the biotic explosions. His advice was that I switch my pistol out for a shotgun and a sniper rifle because "biotic powers are weak, anyway, and you want to be able to hit both near and far." How the hell he managed to get over 1000+ N7 score believing that I'll never know.

To be fair even as a level 20 Adept with a build specially tuned for biotic explosions and common/uncommon weapons I'm still total dogshit compared to a douchebag of any level wielding a Reegar and Black Widow. He has probably just forgotten what it's like to not have finger of death guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I'd take some critiques on not-poo poo things to play.

http://social.bioware.com/n7hq/home/overview/?name=Coolguye&platform=pc

I should warn everyone that I haven't played the single player at all yet so I have a tendency to promote out, though I do make a point of keeping at least one class at level 20. I've mostly been messing around with my Tempest, Phaeston, and Arc Pistol. I just got the Valiant I today and that's kind of cool, though its competition is the Mantis X which, despite people calling it 'okay' in here, I have found to be wholly inadequate.

I've mostly been buying Veteran packs since I maxed out my common weapons. I still pick up a common item every now and then (though I'm almost done with weapon mods so that should hopefully end soon). As far as my activity, I've mostly been playing Silver or barging in on a Gold match and sort of coasting while some douchenozzle with a Reegar X and Black Widow X solos everything, because honestly gently caress this goddamn game's stratification of people. I really like the gameplay and everything, but I'm starting to keep my tablet next to me so I can just do something else when someone with kill everything weapons shows up. It's no longer worth the effort to play at that point.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jan 13, 2013

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

FisterRoboto: You're in almost the same situation as me and you are wasting your time with bronze. You can contribute nicely to Silver, use the Phaeston, Crusader, or the tempest. You won't top the charts but you'll probably be good middle of the road.

You can also try going infiltrator and rezzing a lot in Gold. You only need the team to get to Wave 5 to match Silver credits, and if you random in to the billionth team with 3 Reegars or some other easy mode gun setup, you really just need to stay out of the way to get to wave 11 and enjoy a 85k payday. This does make you kinda hate the game though, since you will never, ever get a kill with the 'modest equip' people like us have on Gold. The Assist medals you get feel like pity from the game after you empty an entire clip only to have someone's finger of death flash once and instantly kill your target.

Pubbies will kick you sometimes for not having good enough guns or being an obvious bottom feeder, too. But gently caress them, who cares what they think.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 26, 2013

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I handled my gold weapon medal by doing a bronze solo with a Turian Soldier and a Phaeston II. I also set the enemy to Cerberus, I'm pretty sure this helped since Cerberus lacks any really nasty tricks on Bronze until wave 8, when the Phantoms start showing up.

Human Soldier with Phaeston II would've worked just as well probably, I just liked Marksman to speed up the process of plinking down a bunch of people. Even with how little I have unlocked, I got to wave 8 and then was promptly bellystabbed by a Phantom (which is basically how I'd expected it to end from the start).

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Alteisen posted:

So it IS possible for 2 good players to carry 2 lovely ones.

That's basically what I rely on in half the games I play, since I like to leech XP and lots of money on Gold. I'm starting to be at least somewhat worthwhile with my Phaeston getting up there and judicious use of my Carnifex, but really I'm just staying out of trouble and doing objectives while Pubbie McGee wastes everything and ignores them.

Somewhat related, but what do people think about the Spectre Pack vs the Elite Spectre Pack? From the looks of things the Elite is a way better deal since you're guaranteed two Rares instead of one, at only ~150% the price.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Psion posted:

If you're trying to max your rares, traditional wisdom is get the PSPs, but bear in mind the regular 60k SPs are a pretty good deal as well - I would say arguably better. Yes, you get two rares per PSP, but you give up total number of cards dropped.
Thanks for the analysis, I didn't realize that the premium spectre packs only gave 5 cards. I haven't bought any yet.

I'm thinking I'll probably go with the Premium packs until I get the basic unlocks for most the weapons and poo poo, since having a gun at II as opposed to I isn't that big a deal, but having I as opposed to locked is a really big deal. After I have most stuff unlocked I'll get normal old spectre packs.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

ZombyDog posted:

I've been saving up my credits and blowing them on PSPs but I'll give just buying Spectre packs a go if this analysis is anything to go by.

quote:

FINAL ANALYSIS: REGULAR SPECTRE PACK WINS!

I actually got more Ultra Rare weapons with the SP than the PSP, spending the same amount of money on both, even though the PSP claims to give you a higher chance at Ultra Rares.
Okay, sold.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Managed to cap off this week's challenge with the N7 demolisher on bronze Glacier, against Cerberus. Man, this week's challenge seems a lot harder than the previous weeks.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

1st AD posted:

Hurricane VIII :getin:

I know everybody seems to love the Ghost/Harrier combo, but I feel like the Ghost/Hurricane is a much better combo.

I got the Hurricane I, and after demoing it a bit I can definitely see why people like it so much. Goddamn thing is a bullet hose. Since it's still at I, though, I still feel like my Tempest V is a better go at things for now.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

UnknownMercenary posted:

A Hurricane I shits all over a Tempest X.
How, precisely? I mostly use the Tempest to chip shields and barriers, and I lack the high caliber barrel. I typically use the mag upgrade and scope. The outrageous kickback on the Hurricane means I actually connect with so many fewer bullets that I seem to get similar performance at best from the two weapons.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Yeah, part of my problem is that I don't have the HV barrel yet I guess, I've had pretty awful luck unlocking any Uncommon weapon mods actually. I'm loaded for bear on the Common ones now, but the only Uncommon one I have over mark 1 is the sniper rifle extended barrel. Oh well, I probably still have to buy another 20-30 Veteran packs before I start scraping the top on a lot of my weapons, so plenty of time for it to show up yet.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Felinoid posted:

If you're looking for Uncommon weapon mods, you need to buy Spectre or higher. They don't show up in the "guaranteed X" slots.

...what? Christ, this game is fun but I am really goddamn over it just not telling you poo poo and pretending like it's a piece of advanced player knowledge or something. Even something like your exact latency, it hides away and refuses to tell you. Thanks, assholes, but I'd really like to know if the leader is hosting from loving Albania or something before I get killed by an enemy that I was shooting at without effect for 15 seconds. At least then I could quit out before I have anything invested in the game.

e: And of course, the Vet pack I open right after I read Felinoid's post, I get a shotgun shredder mod. This game.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Vietnamwees posted:

If I ever had a reason to hate Collectors, then I do now.

Was doing Target Elimination, so I pull out my missile and shoot at the Pratorian, and it elevates itself just high enough to dodge the missile, and completely dodges it, which was complete bullshit, because the missile still landed nearby where it was, and it took absolutely no damage from it whatsoever.

And the kicker? Somehow I wasted twomissiles instead of just one from that.

I had that horseshit happening with them earlier. I saw two possessed Scions and a (non-possessed) Praetorian trying to shrug his way through. That went straight past "oh poo poo" and into "HA HA HA gently caress NO" for me so I pulled out my missile launcher. I take aim at the second Possessed Scion, who's in the middle of the group, and let the rocket fly. It's not a hard shot.

It hits, it explodes, NOTHING HAPPENS. I'm flabbergasted for a second and reflexively try again because this group is about to turn me inside out. I hit again, because it's not a hard shot. The leading Scion goes down, even though that's not the one I hit, but the other two keep powering through like they're made of the same poo poo as the T-1000.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Cainer posted:

Only problem is me and the sentinel keep getting this bug where our guys refuse to take cover. They make the motion of entering cover then leave. Don't know what's going on but it persists through multiple matches.
Known bug. Only fix is restarting the game completely.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

So I'm starting to get back into this again after a months-long hiatus. Is there a rule of thumb on the good weapons nowadays, or specific stats I should be looking for in the stat gdoc in the OP? Apparently my last selected character is a Soldier with a Tempest equipped. And only a Tempest, I might add. Apparently I was loving the poo poo out of Soldier powers at the time.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

You got a gold game? I swear to god, I was pubbing for games earlier and I absolutely could not find anything except Bronze games, which are generally a waste of my time at this point.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Glidergun posted:

You might not have all of the multiplayer DLC - there are four packs, you can't play a game with someone if you don't share all the same DLC, and all of them are free. Do you have the Awakened Collector Adept or Geth Juggernaut soldier on the lineups where you get to pick a character, even if they're still locked?

Turns out this was the case. I went to play with a friend and it became obvious I wasn't up to date when she tried to join my lobby.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

So, gotten back into the groove again a bit, but I feel like I should ask anyways: Can I get some suggestions on what to play to do the most good? Here is my profile.

I don't have a particular attachment to any class, but I have been mostly buying Spectre Packs recently and I don't have any overtly godly weapons like the Reegar, so I've been favoring things with built in power, like the Adept and the Engineer. I have a couple of Voluses on those classes, too, which means I don't get kicked out of Gold parties even with my relatively lackluster armory.

I've basically been using the N7 Hurricane on everything - between the high caliber barrel and the heat sink I have, it becomes a pretty vicious weapon for most situations. Plus it's light. Also I have an SMG Amp 3 for my gear slot. It is not, however, doing a ton of damage on a lot of things, and I frequently run dry on later waves when you have to bump off like 10 Banshees or Atluses in a row.

My major questions are:
  • Given what I have, are there builds you would suggest?
  • What level should I be playing on? I mostly roll Gold, but I have had a few people suggest that as long as I'm just spamming shield boost and staying out of trouble, the Volus Engineer would be most welcome on Plat.
  • What packs should I be focusing on? I've been grabbing Spectres mostly.
Thanks, dudes.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 13, 2014

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

El Mido posted:

I advise you to stick with Gold and really get familiar with how the game plays. Slumming it in Platinum as a Volus spamming shields and barely contributing is just going to teach you bad habits. And unless the rest of your team is good, doing a Platinum game as a Volus with meager firepower is going to take longer than stomping through two Gold games as a more aggressive character.
Or I could just get caught in loading screens forever like I am tonight

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Man, is there a new infinite Cobra glitch? Ran into someone yesterday who was just dumping everywhere.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Felinoid posted:

Which is why you should play with goons. If you mean you are and they still aren't talking, find better goons. :v: Or just initiate the dialogue yourself; goons are timid creatures, but may respond to friendly noises.

Which reminds me. I don't have any goons on my friends list so I pub around a lot. My origin ID is Coolguye, and I just did a search - I'm the first result to come up. I would just link you to my profile page, but Origin's layout both in-app and on the web is total dogshit and I can't figure out how to get a goddamn URL to it!

Related, are any of you 'Ziffles'?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Midee posted:

That's me.

Badass!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I stopped relying on Reactor's hazard the last time a goddamn Praetorian barreled out of the closed door roughly 3 seconds after it sealed to sync kill me.

I was not amused.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Felinoid posted:

You are overly cautious.

In all seriousness it's not a bad idea, but usually what you end up giving up to get it would be more useful.

Haven't found this to be the case on the N7 Shadow, which I have recently termed "The best Infiltrator". You can get a Shadow Strike evolution that refills your shield when Shadow Strike hits a barrier or shield. With that evolution there's relatively little motivation to ever use her third power, Electric Slash, since it's only good against shields and barriers. Shadow Strike plus the Tac Cloak evolution that allows you to use a power and stay cloaked means that you can go invisible even at downed shields, and still have full shields when you come out of it as long as you cut someone who does have shields (which is typically easy to find).

But, admittedly, her Fitness replacement is Sword Mastery, which buffs the poo poo out of Shadow Strike. :v:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Yeah I don't even really feel like you need to host, the trick to SS is to target the dude who's furthest back in a squad, and back the gently caress off of anything that has a sync kill. Cloak -> SS -> Heavy melee will kill pretty much anything that's not a boss on Gold, and with the Shadow as agile as she is, I'm typically behind cover within 2 dodge moves anyway. I only tote one weapon with her, so less than 3 seconds later I'm cooled down and ready to go ghost again. Hell if I pop up in a dicey area I can even just grab some hard cover before revealing myself. I don't even agree on her being terribly ineffective against Reapers, since her ability to pop up and annihilate a Ravager in 2 seconds flat takes a huge amount of pressure off a team, and if your allies aren't actively blasting the sacs open you can even kill the fucker without releasing a ton of Swarmers a lot of times. Not to mention being able to gut a Marauder that's being a jerk by buffing everything in sight. Collectors though for sure, best thing you can do is whittle off the Troopers and Captains since SS doesn't decapitate Aboms like it really should. But that said, Possessed Aboms are sturdy enough that they can survive SS, so SS -> heavy melee still eliminates them handily.

The big problem with SS is bosses. SSing a boss is a great way to die quickly since even as host the boss will half the time decide they're going to reach around, scratch their rear end, and while they're back there they might as well murder you instantly, but we've all agreed that sync kills are the biggest load of horseshit for a long time anyway, so shoot + light melee + dodging moves is how you half-heartedly contribute to bosses as a Shadow.

My problem with Electric Slash is that it's just so redundant. Barriers/shields are not set up to be the big protection to beat in MP, armor is. Combine that with the fact that there are a ton of really good assault rifles and SMGs out there to blow through barriers and shields with plain old bullets. I could use 2 Electric Slashes to blow through a Banshee's barrier, or I could use 2 SMG mags to do the same thing, from cover.

I'm not real familiar with the crowd control synergy you're talking about though tribblederigible. Could you elaborate? Even with full on SS cheese there's enough skill points around for level 4 Electric Slash, though I currently don't have it because I was apparently drunk off my rear end spending my last skill points and instead got the headshot bonus in the N7 Shadow tree.

Also: If you are not saying "Let's get dangerous" as you initiate a Shadow Strike on the back of an enemy squad you are simply not having enough fun playing Shadow.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 10, 2014

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

It sounds less like you're doing something wrong and more like the game is screwing up for you a lot recently. Does this happen when you're hosting? I remember one game recently, we were up against Cerberus and only our host could see Turrets and Phantoms, so the rest of us had a tendency to slump over at random intervals without even a message on what took us down.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Captains don't have a particularly nasty trick, they just have an assault rifle, barriers, and they spawn those annoying loving Seeker Swarms. When possessed, they get health, damage, and barrier boosts, and they spawn Seeker Plagues instead of Swarms. Hence my suspicion that you're lagging or something, they really shouldn't be able to just sort of knock you over like that.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Including No Shepard:

The game is also said to share many of the "core features" with Dragon Age: Inquisition. This likely means that the systems working in the background will all be similar, not necessarily the combat, dialogue, or anything else.[2]

The game will also be created using the Frostbite engine, along with 14 other games in development right now.[3]

Although not confirmed, associate producer Mike Gamble has hinted that it "wouldn't be a bad idea" to hold onto your Mass Effect save files.[4]

Source

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I played an N7 Paladin yesterday alongside a Krogan that had the Biotic Hammer.

It was like I was the Stop and he was the Hammertime.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Smol posted:

Paladin + debuffing tech combo electric hammer is so good.

We basically demolished an entire Gold game of Reapers by ourselves. We'd charge up, I'd use snap freeze, he would drop the hammer, and everything ever would explode.

On things that didn't explode instantly like Banshees I just followed up with Incinerate and made them explode anyway.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

You should be dodging away, yes, but that doesn't mean they won't grab you. I got sync killed by a freaking Scion a couple days ago after nailing it with a Shadow Strike, then dodging backward. I'd forgotten they even had a sync kill.

So at this point, I'm hosting, probably a good 10 feet away from this jackass, and behind him. And then I get grabbed, thrown in front of him, and pummeled. No, he did not turn around.

Melee classes are ultra fun in this game but you just have to accept that you're gonna get sync killed out of nowhere sometimes, even if you do everything right.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

They apparently don't need to complete their melee animation, or actually connect with you to do it, because like I said - he wasn't even facing me when this happened. There weren't any other people around. He swung at empty air, I took no damage, he grabbed me from behind him while I was shooting his hump off, and pummelled me to death. And I was hosting, so no, it wasn't lag for the gazillionth time. It was, however, Tuesday.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Fetus Tree posted:

I actually don't mind the sync kill mechanic. It's really the only thing that stops people from parking in front of a banshee and 'wailing' on them or whatever.
What? Even a vorcha or a geth get hosed up hard by a banshee's big swipe. You don't want anything to do with that poo poo.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Invisible phantoms are really worse. Invisible turrets can KO you instantly, but you can be saved or gel back up. Invisible phantoms will sync kill you with no warning and then you'll just be dead.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

El Mido posted:

Is it cheating to use an FOV hack? I tried one out of curiosity and boy is it a world of difference. Not having a giant blind spot anymore is so refreshing. While it makes sense for the FOV while aiming to be punishingly small, having to put up with a slightly less punishingly small FOV while running around is the pits.

Is it cheating? That's arguable. Does anyone give a poo poo? Not unless you crow it from the mountains and act like a cock about it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Khizan posted:

Sync kills are needed to help reduce bunkering up and force you to scramble. They're also one of the few ways to actually kill a player for good and remove them from the wave, instead of forcing a medi-gel or a ally rescue, which I feel is an important thing to have.

I also feel like most of the enemies aren't particularly bullet spongy if your aim is good and your weapon/power selection is appropriate. Once I stopped the spray+pray with the full auto weapons and learned to actually make my shots count the minibosses got MUCH easier to handle.

even the best people at this game frequently use the word 'bullet spongy' to describe almost all enemies that aren't rank and file troopers, this is not a point of debate.

sync kills i guess can be a point of debate but considering that medi gel is limited and ally rescue is risky i think it's a pretty hard sell that it is 'needed'. bunkering up is effectively fought by a handful of other enemies that just barrel in. the brute is the easiest one to note here, he even has a sync kill and rarely uses it because he's designed well enough that it isn't really needed.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

If there were no sync kills there'd be nothing that could actually kill a vanguard doing their thing. Somehow I get the feeling that's the biggest reason they exist.

A bit of bullet sponginess on things like the brute is fine, since they should be something that makes you scatter and doesn't die while trying to run up to the group, or when a banshee is doing her blinks in if she's not more durable the answer to her is for everyone to just blast her point blank before she can grab someone. The problem is when even the rank and file troops take forever to kill, and that was never really an issue.

then that's a problem with the vanguard and should be fixed from the vanguard's end (and, ideally, not in a way that just automatically kills people with almost no warning).

also, i think bullet sponginess is an issue still when you get away from the top-tier weapons that the rest of us have basically found and refined through dozens of hours of play. even the n7 weapons have a couple of real traps where it's practically impossible to do significant damage to even the little squad leader units. i feel like that's the big reason why you always see such huge disparities of points in pub matches, one or two people have the 'right gear' and the other two do not, so the bottom feeders mostly plink with powers and try not to die. sure there are certain classes that benefit more from powers than weapons, but even adepts benefit quite a bit from the correct weapon mods on the high end.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the gear goes directly into the build and tactics one uses. we've spent literally dozens of pages talking about nothing but that in this topic, i don't see how this is even remotely arguable.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

well yeah when it's been something nobody's argued about for well over a year and nothing has changed in that year then yeah i generally consider the situation resolved and i will say so, especially if someone tries to justify their point with a comparison to dota 2 of all things. i mean that game isn't remotely comparable to ME3 and the way banshees can hoover up someone isn't comparable to anything i've ever seen in that stupid game, though admittedly i don't see a whole lot because i consider it a stupid game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Because I have seen tons of players with the best weapons and gear completely suck rear end because they built their character in the worst way or are overly aggressive and constantly get killed. I can top score a game with a hand cannon vanguard every time but if I take biotic slash instead I'll struggle to get anything done. Gear does not determine build at all except in the most gimmicky ways. Great weapons and mods can enhance it but is stupid to say that is a major factor in scores.

gear absolutely determines build, weight alone is a huge consideration and adepts will want to keep the minimum weight as much as possible, and mods like ultralight materials change what you can and can't do quite a bit, between taking only one weapon or two, or taking a specific weapon that has a quirk that makes it much more effective in specific situations or not (like the reegar). the difference between any weapon's I and X version is very large, in some times specifically in weight but other times in sheer damage; the heavy pistols and sniper rifles very frequently cross damage break points that allow you to one-shot specific units on higher difficulties and it fundamentally changes both the weapon's usefulness and the viability of a build that relies upon these things.

i'm certain you're not wrong that you can outperform boneheads with good gear but at least in my mind boneheads weren't part of the discussion. if they were in yours then we're not even talking about the same thing and should probably refocus.

• Locked thread