Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
My ex-landlady has three kids: Dustin (son), Indigo (daughter), and Cactus (son).

I was in the hospital for a couple nights back in July, and one night the nurses on shift were named Karma and Sunshine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Jabs posted:

One day 'alias@corp.companyname.com' shows up out of the blue in the corporate index.
It's in the A's, and it's pretty obviously a test account...Why, Hello, there, ANDREW LIAS.

I went to a school where your email name was 8 letters long--if your name was longer, it got truncated, if it was shorter, they added as many letter from your first name as needed. I have an 8 letter last name, so mine was just lastname, but there was a guy there named Robert Ward, which made his email wardrobe.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

skog posted:

Latisha Blesseddaughterofzion Robinson

Legal name or facebook name?

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

ibntumart posted:

As are other appellations derived from the Virgin Mary, such as Consuela (from Nuestra Señora del Consuelo, Our Lady of Consolation), Dolores ( María de los Dolores, Mary of Sorrows), Pilar (María del Pilar, Mary of the Pillar---this one isn't so common in my experience, though), and Rosario (Nuestra Señora del Rosario, Our Lady of the Rosary).

Religious names can get kind of weird. I recently met a lady whose first name is "Rose of Lima". She just goes by Rose.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I once had to send some paperwork to a law firm to a certain paralegal. Her name was Jeffiner.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Phineus posted:

My mother is a school nurse, there was a child at her school named Alpachino Cruze. His first name, was all one word Alpachino...

I also knew an Alpacino! Spelled like the actor, no H, but he went by Chino.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I recently came across an article about a woman named "Joy Swallow".

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

ToxicSlurpee posted:

What I'd like to know is why mangled to gently caress and back spellings have suddenly become so popular. Like, some of them you can't even tell what they are until somebody says them out loud, but god drat do people get angry if you say it wrong.

My pregnant coworker is considering naming her unborn son "Brycen" because "we're just going to call him Bryce anyway, so that will keep the spelling consistent." She is also considering naming him Clayton, so I put my vote towards that.

I also know a baby named Brysen Tyger. His parents are both huge Mizzou (University of Missouri) sports fans, despite never having attended the school or had any loved ones who played for them or anything. They all have all sorts of Mizzou merchandise all over the place. His mom's engagement ring was even black and yellow diamonds.

Unique spellings!

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Shaquille is a pretty strange name itself.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

DaisyDanger posted:

My daughter's name is Claire Victoria. Originally, I had wanted to name her Claire Annette. I decided against that when I realized my daughter's name would be said like a certain band instrument.

Similarly, my best friend's mom narrowly escaped being "Rhoda Camille" and a lifetime of desert-themed jokes.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Friend of a friend just had a baby and named her Kynleigh. I would have spelled it Kinley, but whatever. Also, he got the name from a DnD campaign he ran.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Dr Snofeld posted:

This is exactly why the characters in my campaigns have names like Reg, or Keith.

Those would not exactly be good names for a baby girl either.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Children of coworkers and FaceBook friends. I am leaving out the normal ones, Brittany and John and Nick and so on.

Sons:
Austin and Kacey (born in Austin, TX, and Kansas City, MO, respectively)
Brycen
Knowledge
Aeron
Cactus
Denver (not born in Denver, CO)

Daughters:
Brenya
Presley (as in Elvis)
Takyah (goes by TK)
Dia-Dimone
Zanetta
Bentli
Indigo
Izabella
Sylaa

I've mentioned some of these before, I think.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Today, I learned that my coworker's now deceased mother was named D'Arlene, pronounced "darlin'".

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

about_face posted:

One of my mother's co-workers named her son Mufasa Diablo.

Mufasa Diablo Jones...

Sounds the protagonist of a blaxploitation film.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I have a couple of cousins (like second cousins a couple times removed or something? my mom's cousins grandkids) named Taite (girl) and Fraser (boy). Not Fraiser, Fraser--rhymes with racer. They're American but live in England and are raised by a Filipina nanny who hasn't seen her own children in years. Rich people, man.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

sleeptalker posted:

I really hope the girl's name is not pronounced like "tight".

Nope, Taite rhymes with fate.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

pug wearing a hat posted:

There's a real estate agent here named John John. Every time I see one of his signs I laugh.

This makes me think of women who change their names when they get married and end up with double names:

Bettie Bettis
Sally Sallee
Kristina Criss

I know I've come across more, but those are the only ones I can come up with off the top of my head.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Considering that people have some serious issues with names that have multiple traditional spellings, it's totally stupid. My name is Lindsay--the less common spelling, but just as legitimate as Lindsey. I have a coworker who insists on spelling it Lyndsay, despite having known me for several years, seeing me wear a nametag, and being my friend on facebook.

Lindsay is kind of a weird name, actually, with that silent D in the middle, and the A doesn't seem to do much either. People who speak Spanish as their first language find it particularly hard to figure out the pronunciation from my name tag.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Yesterday I got a fax from a woman with the last name of "Huntsucker"

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

InEscape posted:

That is awful but I really hope it's just a cute name for a kid named Jasmine or something. My little cousin's name is Lucy but she's like four and her mom calls her Lulu and Lulubelle and all kinds of pet names, even in public.

I was in high school before I could convince my mom to stop calling me "Linzaloo" in public. GEEZ MOM

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Lotish posted:

Dorcas is an ancient name for Hebrew women, if I remember right. (Also a beefy dude in a Fire Emblem game.)

Did they really spell it that way?

I met a lady named "Dorcas Knight" once. I'm sorry, did you say "dark as night"?

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

bulletsponge13 posted:

My friend is naming her son Dameian Xzayver. Actual spelling.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

ButWhatIf posted:

Marques (pronounced Marcus)

I know a father/son pair named Marques-pronounced-Marcus, so it can't be that uncommon.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Bobbie Raspberry and Margaret Martini (sounds like she should be a sexy lady in a gin ad)

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Lotish posted:

I got a new student this month. Her name is written "Dishana," with a dash over the second a. What gets me is how she pronounces it. "Dash-uh-nay." Where did her parents get the idea an I made that sound?

It's possible her parents were subliterate--for a while, my mom tutored adult literacy students, and this one lady had a daughter named Mouneah pronounced "mo-nay". :smith:

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

bringmyfishback posted:

Try being in the not-changing-your-name club. Some people act like I've murdered a puppy when I explain that my last name is MY NAME and not my husband's. The reason being that he has a hyphenated last name and I have two middle names, so being "Bringmyfishback Spanky Sue Hurgleburgle-Vomit-Johnson" would be kind of loving stupid. (Please note that this is not my real name.)

I've told people that as much as I love my husband, if I'm going to be linked to a family by name, I want it to be MY family. No one has given me any real trouble about it yet but we've only been married for about 7 months.

I have a coworker who, if she marries her current guy and hyphenates their names, will end up with the last name of Stark-Silence, which is loving bad rear end.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Carthag posted:

Ran into an Australian guy named Bickey. He said everyone he met would ask "Oh like Biggie Smalls?" when he introduced himself (after I had asked).

My dad is named Ivan. Usually people say, "Oh, like Ivan the Terrible?" but one time someone was like, "oh, like ivan workin' on the railroad?"

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Pneub posted:

That person was a 50+ y.o. uncle, wasn't he?

Probably, it was some guy he met through work, so yes, another middle-aged engineer.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

RazorBunny posted:

I just got a call from a recruiter whose first name was Kaki. I guess it's not a super uncommon name, but until I saw the spelling I was convinced someone had named their kid after the color of a pair of Dockers.

I've seen Kaki as a nickname for Katherine on more than one occasion. I don't know where it comes from, though.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Goosed it. posted:

Pronounced "khaki" or "kaykee"?

...I don't know. I've only ever seen it written.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Last names:

Raspberry
Appleberry
Stringfellow
Stufflebean

First names:
Jenious
Orion (pronounced or-ee-on instead of o-ry-on)
Presley
Jaysen
Zyme
Juawana

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
My coworker who used to work at an obstetricians told me she totally had mothers who didn't speak English name their daughters "Female" (fe-mah-lay) because they thought that was their name because it was on the paperwork! I pointed out that no one is that stupid, women have their baby's name picked out way in advance and just because they don't speak English doesn't mean they're dumb, but she swore it happened. Liar.

Anyway, a few more names I've picked up:
--Vickie Hickey
--Victor Victor
--Mani M. Mani (I hope the M stands for Mani)
--Mohammad Mohammad

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Antivehicular posted:

Weird semi-confession: when I was a kid, my mother had a coworker/friend named Aquanetta, and I heard her name enough that it still sounds more or less "normal" to me. :shobon: (Not that I'd ever use it for a kid, but it doesn't make my WOOP WOOP BULLSHIT NAME! sensors go off, if that makes any sense?) I believe the Aquanetta in question was actually black and not Mormon, and she'd be in her 60's now, which if Google is to believed would make her older than Aqua Net hairspray. Still, talk about a name that's aged poorly...

Honestly, the weirdest poo poo can sound like a normal name if you interact with someone enough, which is why I now think of "Cactus" as not too weird (my former landlady's kid).

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Some names that are just slightly off...

--Kathlee
--Jennica
--Kelby

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Not My Leg posted:

My wife's great grandmother was named Fructosa. She's Mexican and it wouldn't have been a particularly uncommon name at the time; I just think it's funny.

My husband works with a Mexican guy called Hilario, which in Spanish is no more unusual than a name like Hope or Prudence* I guess, but it;s pretty funny for English speakers. He also works with a Vietnamese guy named Phuc (pronounced "Fook").

*I've always though Chastity is a really weird and creepy name. Your name is "not having sex with anyone"!

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Mescal posted:

How do you pronounce this name?

Not like hilarious. Hilario has a long A sound. Hil-ARE-ee-oh instead of hil-AIR-ee-o.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Mix and match these names for maximum amusement.

Last names:
-Kornfeind
-Wondafrash
-Diddle
-Wigger
-Purtle
-Schwang

First names:
-Waymond
-Shaulene
-Emerald (I guess this isn't any different than Ruby or Pearl)
-Tamaree
-Aittel
-Janeth
-Maple
-Raleighta
-Earshel
-Gentry
-Tomatha

People destined for a lifetime of spelling their names out very slowly:
-Tieler
-Rhian
-Scharlette
-Zakary
-Jeramy
-Tiphani
-Shon

And finally:
-Sandi Cockburn

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

flakeloaf posted:

Little guy on the bus was just introduced by his mother as Boston. Not Austin, the person she was talking to was confused by it too, so she made mom repeat it to be sure Boston.

City/place names aren't that unusual if they're just one word names. Austin, Boston, London, Denver, Cheyenne, Paris, Brooklyn...a lot of places are named for people, anyway. If people were naming their kids stuff like Salt Lake City or El Paso or Colorado Spings I'd be a lot more perturbed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I had a classmate in middle and high school who had her name legally changed when she was pretty little, like 6 or 7, from Latice to Takiyah (not sure on the spelling because I can't remember, don't have my yearbook, and she's got herself listed on Facebook under a nickname). I think that she said her mom wanted a more Afrocentric name.