Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Ever since our little one figured out how to roll over in her sleep, she's been doing a worm to the top of the cot. At 11pm, 1am, 3am, there'd be a wooden "bonk" sound as her head hit the headboard, followed by crying and sitting up.

I would have thought there'd be some learning/survival process that would kick in, but 6 months later, Bonky is still at it. Putting a pillow at the end of the cot seems to have abated it somewhat, but it's not really advised by the guidelines. (neither are cot bumpers, so life has been tough).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Our oldest is on the most annoying bandaid kick ever. Anytime she bumps into anything she wants a bandaid. Thankfully we’ve been able to shift her into using ice packs for her trauma instead mostly.

She’s also really taken to worrying about her baby brother and tending to him. Making sure the sun isn’t hitting him directly or singing to him when we crys. Also very excited to learn braille with the rest of us.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

My solo non-parent activity is a tennis league one night per week. 2 hours of exercise and disconnection. The mental boost is incredible.

Tonight, 40 minutes before game time, a 5 minute rain cloud blew through and soaked the courts enough to cancel all matches.

I’m fine skipping a week with notice and reasoning, but to have it ripped from my hands as I was changing into my athletic clothes? Murderous mood. There was no room for shenanigans during tonight’s bedtime routine.

cuber
Dec 29, 2011
Little guy (2.5yo) was mopey tonight, kept complaining, got mad about any of the food I tried to make for him, would go to his room and cry, come out 15 minutes later to tell me, "I'm sad!" We'd try to get what's wrong out of him, but figured he was just tired from not having a nap.

I finally got him to sit with me, cuddle, settle down, and he put his thoughts in order to tell me why he was really sad, "I don't have friends."

Talked to his older sister who explained that some older kid at daycare wouldn't let him play with them. I talked with the daycare lady about it, and we're gonna work through it, but drat. What a terrible feeling. He's not even in grade school, I'm gonna lose my mind.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
Regarding the sleep worries: my first had a weird hiccup-type noise breathing when he slept, and the doctor was so concerned about the video we took that we spent a night in the hospital doing some sort of sleep study. Of course trying to get a baby to sleep covered in wires in a hospital bed is its own kind of hell, but it may be worth it for peace of mind.

At least in my experience, doctors are very very cautious when it comes to young infants. If you can capture the behavior on video and push for further tests / studies to be done you may be able to get answers.

Calexio
Jun 12, 2008

Gyoza and beer

in_cahoots posted:

Regarding the sleep worries: my first had a weird hiccup-type noise breathing when he slept, and the doctor was so concerned about the video we took that we spent a night in the hospital doing some sort of sleep study. Of course trying to get a baby to sleep covered in wires in a hospital bed is its own kind of hell, but it may be worth it for peace of mind.

At least in my experience, doctors are very very cautious when it comes to young infants. If you can capture the behavior on video and push for further tests / studies to be done you may be able to get answers.

Funny you should say that. Long story short he's been admitted for observation for three nights and they're going to do blood tests; hook him up to heart monitors and oxygen saturation monitors overnight; and do more tests tomorrow morning (it's half seven in the evening here now).

Long story long:

We went to the clinic today as planned and they didn't know what was going on so they referred us to a nearby hospital. At the hospital, we spoke to two different doctors who also didn't know what was going on so wanted to admit him for three nights, which means we will have to reschedule his first slate of vaccines but we just want to know what the gently caress is going on. We had planned to go join our local library today to see if they have any English children's books.

Because of strict hospital rules about chaperones in the face of influenza etc. only one of us can stay with him, which means my wife since my Japanese is just about good enough to get by day to day, not this. So I ran home to grab a bag of essentials for each of them and handed them over before having to leave. Now I'm just home alone. At least I won't have to do my two shifts in the night haha. Ha.

An hour ago it happened again (wife got a video this time too) and it took her and two doctors trying to wake him before he did, after which he immediately screamed, which he never does. He has his grumbles and groans and might let out a little yell to get attention but never full on screaming immediately.

At least now someone else knows what it is we've been seeing. The hospital is trying to request the ambulance report from the first night (different hospital) and is going to do bloods; hook him up to heart monitors and oxygen saturation monitors overnight; and then more tests in the morning. So they're taking it super seriously which is good. I just hope my amazing wife gets through the night okay. She's been an absolute hero for him.

As for him, he seems fine again and he was feeding furiously when his mom called to let me know what happened. I'm not going to lie, I thought I was holding it together fine until I heard him and now I'm a mess. I just want to hold and tell him it's going to be okay, even though he won't understand. I've had to settle for asking his mom to video call me when he's being put to bed so I can tell him good night and that I love him. All over sleeping too good!

Side note: Everyone keeps calling him by his middle name because they don't really understand how Western names work in that regard and it bugs me more than it maybe should. I interrupted a nurse earlier about it and I'm not one for interrupting usually.

Thanks again for all the comments and advice folks. I'm not much one for posting (check the startlingly low post count) but I'll try to be active here and not just post about my own poo poo which I know will get obnoxious quick.

Also if this post doesn't make sense it's because I accidentally deleted the whole middle third of it just before posting. I think the rewrite makes sense but I'm too tired to fix it any more if it doesn't.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
KG3 did his first overnight without eating :3:
He’s also learned to roll from his front to his back :ohdear: similar to the other bonky baby a few posts ago he now bonks his head on his cradle, but it doesn’t seem to bother him. I’ll get woken up by a hollow bonk on the wood panel of the cradle and he will just stay sound asleep. He’s got to move to the crib tonight, though. Can’t have too much of that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Mar 28, 2024

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Calexio posted:

Side note: Everyone keeps calling him by his middle name because they don't really understand how Western names work in that regard and it bugs me more than it maybe should. I interrupted a nurse earlier about it and I'm not one for interrupting usually.

This happens to me all the drat time at work because I had to put the full government in there for consistency’s sake.

Also if you’re in the wider Tokyo area and need help feel free to DM, I know how tough it is dealing here first-hand - I wasn’t allowed with my wife at all until 30 minutes before birth due to the COVID rules here, and then for only 2 hours after.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Calexio posted:

Thanks again for all the comments and advice folks. I'm not much one for posting (check the startlingly low post count) but I'll try to be active here and not just post about my own poo poo which I know will get obnoxious quick.

all good, dogg. hope that you get some clarity soon.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

babb #2 just turned six months, and slept 11 hours last night after all of her shots (not typical for her at all). Totally fine this morning, except real hungry. Maybe it was the COVID shot that did it.

she's also a lonnnnnng baby. 38th percentile for weight, but 96th for length. big difference from her preemie sister, who's always been in single digit percentiles for weight. (but staying on her growth curve, so our doc has never been stressed about it). I wonder if/when the little one will overtake the big one.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

cuber posted:

Little guy (2.5yo) was mopey tonight, kept complaining, got mad about any of the food I tried to make for him, would go to his room and cry, come out 15 minutes later to tell me, "I'm sad!" We'd try to get what's wrong out of him, but figured he was just tired from not having a nap.

I finally got him to sit with me, cuddle, settle down, and he put his thoughts in order to tell me why he was really sad, "I don't have friends."

Talked to his older sister who explained that some older kid at daycare wouldn't let him play with them. I talked with the daycare lady about it, and we're gonna work through it, but drat. What a terrible feeling. He's not even in grade school, I'm gonna lose my mind.

I fear this for my kids. But I didn’t have a lot of friends in daycare either, and I weirdly have one strong memory of being absolutely excluded, so I hope I’ll be able to help.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Man in preschool I was alone sniffing the air inside vanilla extract bottle in the kitchen playset.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

KG3 did his first overnight without eating :3:
He’s also learned to roll from his front to his back :ohdear: similar to the other bonky baby a few posts ago he now bonks his head on his cradle, but it doesn’t seem to bother him. I’ll get woken up by a hollow bonk on the wood panel of the cradle and he will just stay sound asleep. He’s got to move to the crib tonight, though. Can’t have too much of that.

My kids would flail in their crib while sleeping and smack the headboard (backboard? sideboard? the big one against the wall) with a loud *BANG*! You would be sure there was an injury and wait for the crying, but they would just sleep through it.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Mine hits his head on the crib and headboard and doesn't give a poo poo about it.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
My kiddo loves giving and receiving head bonks. Can’t get enough of it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Nybble posted:

come to think of it one of his hobbies is flailing his dome around when being burped and headbutting us

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Brawnfire posted:

Man in preschool I was alone sniffing the air inside vanilla extract bottle in the kitchen playset.

Are you excited to move up to pre k next year

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Renegret posted:

Are you excited to move up to pre k next year

Preschool was Pre-K, but I can't move up to Kindergarten yet cuz I got mad during cleanup and chipped Nick's tooth with a block

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Nybble posted:

The 2.5 year old is the same. Used to bonk her head on the crib, now she'll bonk it against the wall when she's in bed. The baby hasn't shown the same tendency now that the crib is hers. She has started pulling herself up to stand, though, and figured out how to manage it while in her sleep sack. I walked in there this morning to her standing and crying for her breakfast bottle.

I'm not entirely sure she knows how to sit back down without falling yet.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Brawnfire posted:

Preschool was Pre-K, but I can't move up to Kindergarten yet cuz I got mad during cleanup and chipped Nick's tooth with a block

Weak

It'll grow back

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I am depressed because I thought my little dude was starting free preschool in the fall and it turns out there are only 1400 slots for the whole city, with disadvantaged children getting first dibs. While I am truly happy there are so many resources available to families that are struggling more than me, goddamn that would have been nice to not be paying $1400/month for 2 more years.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Here it's a lottery to get in. But it's moot because UPK is only like 6 hours a day which is absolutely worthless for working parents. And the schools that are part of the UPK program are generally pretty bad so it's very often just not worth it.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...

Renegret posted:

Here it's a lottery to get in. But it's moot because UPK is only like 6 hours a day which is absolutely worthless for working parents. And the schools that are part of the UPK program are generally pretty bad so it's very often just not worth it.

Here in FL the free VPK is 3 hours/day for the school year long program lol.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The kid has outgrown his Nuna carseat, so we bought a big rotating seat to keep in the car, but we kinda need a second one for travel/the nanny share/my pickup in case of emergency. Just something basic; is Cosco still the go-to?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Pham Nuwen posted:

The kid has outgrown his Nuna carseat, so we bought a big rotating seat to keep in the car, but we kinda need a second one for travel/the nanny share/my pickup in case of emergency. Just something basic; is Cosco still the go-to?

This is what we use to stash at my parents’ so we don’t have to take the big one on the plane with us, works well enough!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Why are kids' nails always just peeling off? It's gross. I get that they're soft but man it's weird

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

At the in-laws for some Easter related stuff and god it's nice having support with bed time for the 3yo, she is having such a hard time staying in her room and we need a break here and there, even if only for a night

We had to take away her kitchen set because she insisted on trying to turn it into a massive drum set and throwing tantrums, but guiding her to some "green choices" and seeing her be super patient with her sister--sharing toys and snacks, hugs, playing gently, even grabbing things for us to change diapers and such--all on her own instincts ended up getting it back for her. It's going to be insane when they are both running around

Calexio
Jun 12, 2008

Gyoza and beer

cuber posted:

I hope this is sorted out for your little fella soon. Fingers crossed the daycare can help him out.

I, Butthole posted:

Our little dude got a balloon for the first time the other day and has been waddling around holding on to it for near 24 hours. He has also been using it as a pillow and leaning on it every so often. There is a ticking time bomb in my house and I don't like it.

How goes the balloon? Still holding on by some miracle?

Also all the head-bonker stories are very cute. :3:

harperdc posted:

This happens to me all the drat time at work because I had to put the full government in there for consistency’s sake.

Also if you’re in the wider Tokyo area and need help feel free to DM, I know how tough it is dealing here first-hand - I wasn’t allowed with my wife at all until 30 minutes before birth due to the COVID rules here, and then for only 2 hours after.

Thanks for the offer! I'm way down south in Okinawa though. I'm lucky enough that I have some awesome Japanese co-workers who have been there for us. The first night it happened, I phoned one of them in a panic because we were struggling with the language barrier and she was on the phone with me for almost a half hour and then disrupted her entire evening to come meet us at the hospital to help us out. She's incredible and I have no idea how I can repay her. It all turned out okay, but she was willing to be there on what could have been the worst night of our lives if it all went south.

I feel you about the birth too. The rules had relaxed slightly by the time we had our boy, but even then I had to leave at 1pm on the first day of labor (water broke unexpectedly at 6am two and a half weeks early, but it was clear that nothing was going to be happening by the afternoon) and was only allowed to hold him briefly after the birth and then could only visit for a half hour every day and see him in the baby room through a window for a week until my wife got them discharged. It was tough!

We're all back home from the hospital now - apparently the plan was always two nights, not three! - and it's a mixture of good news while still not having a definite answer, if there was ever even one to have.

On top of having him hooked up to a pulse and oxygen saturation monitor the whole time, yesterday they also ran a series of tests on his blood, poop and pee. Poop and pee came back no issues at all. Bloods were also fine by and large apart from one test (CK-MB) which came back slightly abnormal, which could indicate a heart issue, but another test to check for potential heart issues (CPK?) came back normal. So they ordered an echogrdiogram just in case, which they ran today and also checked his stomach and liver while they were at it. And it turns out all is fine! Liver is apparently slightly on the large side but within normal range and not enlarged to the point he could be sick because of it. Heart walls are all good etc. So it is good that we know he is in fine fettle, and I guess he's just a super deep sleeper? Final advice was that if it happens again and he is breathing, responding to stimuli and still has good color, then it's probably all fine, just keep an eye on him. We have a follow up in two weeks just in case. We were also able to reshedule his first raft of vaccines to Monday morning, which is a relief!

He seems perfectly fine though! So we'll just focus on that for now. Also, he seems to have done a mad amount of developing in the two days since he was last home. He's frequently trying to roll over now (not there just yet!) and is more clearly focusing on and following things that interest him, like the traditional Japanese mobile hanging above his crib that I swear he was reaching for this afternoon and definitely turned to follow as I gently moved it. :3:

Shout out as well to the magic little pink card we were given by city hall that means all of the things we had to do this week (ambulance ride, ER admittance and testing, visit to his pediatric clinic, referral to another hospital, three day admittance for observation and a raft of tests) were completely free. Absolute life-saver!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Calexio posted:

He seems perfectly fine though! So we'll just focus on that for now. Also, he seems to have done a mad amount of developing in the two days since he was last home. He's frequently trying to roll over now (not there just yet!) and is more clearly focusing on and following things that interest him, like the traditional Japanese mobile hanging above his crib that I swear he was reaching for this afternoon and definitely turned to follow as I gently moved it. :3:

Shout out as well to the magic little pink card we were given by city hall that means all of the things we had to do this week (ambulance ride, ER admittance and testing, visit to his pediatric clinic, referral to another hospital, three day admittance for observation and a raft of tests) were completely free. Absolute life-saver!

Glad the little guy is doing alright! And yeah, once they start tracking and reaching for things the real fun starts. It’s all fun and games until the baby gets grip strength.

I wasn’t allowed to visit at all after the birth, and that was in March 2022.

The insurance for kids in Japan is pretty amazing. We’ve only paid for vaccinations like the COVID ones, all other clinic visits and medicine have been covered 100% (which would be the case whether you have coverage from an employer or the public option). Publicly backed daycares are also very reasonable too.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Taking my daughter to a Bratz-themed birthday party at a rollerskating rink. The gently caress year is it?

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Brawnfire posted:

Taking my daughter to a Bratz-themed birthday party at a rollerskating rink. The gently caress year is it?

At least it's not LOL Surprise doll themed. Those dolls creep me out.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Yeah I didn't know it could get more freakish but they found a way.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Spotify: “thanks for watching this video, now enjoy 30 minutes of ad-free music”

The 2 minutes of adds that played after 1 bathtime song determined this was a lie.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Lol picked up a cake for Easter. Filled all the eggs. Wife is out getting the rest of the food for the Easter brunch we will be hosting tomorrow.

BAM - “my head feels all scrambled” says my 4 year old. Temp at 100.5 and rising in the middle of the day. Oh and I’m supposed to leave for a work trip on Monday.

God I love children

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
We've fallen behind on Easter tasks this week so we were bunkered down to do everything today. Dye eggs, make dessert for tomorrow, deep clean the house to hide eggs after bed time, make the baskets.

Wife tested positive for COVID this morning

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

There's something magical about holiday breaks. My wife got laryngitis and lost her voice THURSDAY NIGHT.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
I don't even like any of the poo poo they keep in there.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

FTFY

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Tempted to print that out and stick it on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
My dad and I both woke up sick this morning lol so easter has been pushed back a week.

Get back in the cave Jesus