Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

scary ghost dog posted:

There's absolutely no chance the new Star Wars will be an adaptation of any pre-existing Star Wars media.

Makes sense when you consider how Abram's Star Trek doesn't retread any pre-existing Star Tre....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

thrawn527 posted:

Shadows of the Empire is part of the EU. And is, in fact, one of the more toxic examples of the EU from it's earlier life. (Some recent stuff is worse, no doubt, but the actual story of Shadows is bad. Real bad.)

Seriously, the amount of subtle rape references in that book really freaked me out when I first read it at 12 years of age.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
If the new movie is Shadows of the Empire I'm getting in line for a ticket now.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
They should cast Harrison Ford as Dash Rendar.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeK10F6iA8E

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Good and evil aren't clearly delineated because "there are heroes on both sides" - 'heroes' belonging in scare quotes.

I still don't understand the "heroes on both sides" comment in the opening scroll. Who is the hero on the Separatist side? Dooku? Grevious?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
The deathstick scene while under analysis may seem to be a deep scene showing Obi-wan's abuse of the force and what not, but I guarantee you the only subtext Lucas intended was as a joke and a throw back to the OT.

It's like the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, by analyzing the situation you change it because you are part of the experiment.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Hbomberguy posted:

In the EU the Jedi, with their need to make everything fit their social order, call those people 'grey Jedi,' but what they honestly mean is 'person who has their own morals and doesn't give a drat about our crazy stupid ones, so he's morally grey or something'.

The EU started down a path that made the force more grey instead of dark and light, and it make some interesting choices with Kyle Katarn sort of following Qui-gon's mentality, but then Lucas said "nope, force is dark or light."

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I feel the prequels can be addressed in two separate ways their technical production merits and the actual story lines

Clearly, their technical production is awful, the CGI doesn't age well, the acting is wooden, and the sets are like Xbox games, the lighting is often Joss Whedon levels of TV-bad. Dialogue scenes are just characters sitting down, talking, standing up, going to a window, looking over their shoulder while blandly reading lines of dialogue. I don't think people really will argue with that.

The story, however, is worth discussing because whether or not you like the PT, they happened and provide context for the OT. I'd agree with the idea that Lucas has no idea why the OT worked so well, (even if he is the god of the universe) because of the insertion of midichlorians in TPM. He started down a path to demystify the force and wrap it in science which on that grounds alone proves that he doesn't really understand the appeal of the Star Wars universe. However, death of the author and all that could point to the fact that the Jedi themselves didn't really get the force either and they were trying to wrap it in science and quantify it themselves too.

Essentially, you can bundle up all the bizarrely weird and bad Lucas story elements and incongruous PT and OT threads into a package that they are perfectly representing the Jedi being failures and retarded, but the truth is that Lucas is just a poor story teller. However, it's perfectly fine to ignore Lucas in the discussions and engage in an interesting meaningful analysis of the movies themselves.

TLDR:

here's a lightsaber blaster I designed when I was twelve:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Ave Azaria posted:

Say the prequel trilogy really is a grand, meta satire. What could the films have done differently in order to break the spell the prequels and get more viewers to appreciate that satire?

Have them be directed by Mel Brooks.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

INH5 posted:

He didn't intend to demystify the force, it was just a quick story patch.

Which lends credence to my statement that the prequels are, from a film-making perspective, terrible films. Lucas shot them all from a rough draft, with the proper treatment to work them into decent scripts. The introduction of midichlorians immediately makes no sense to most people that are familiar with the mythos of Star Wars, yet the creator gives them no thought at all. Had he taken another couple months, or passed the scripts on to a different writer, maybe these ideas would have been fleshed out and made workable.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Vogon Poet posted:

This is from a couple pages back but I noticed you harping on this point that Yoda doesn't say Luke must kill Vader and I think there's something interesting that you missed. You're right that Yoda says Luke must confront Vader, so it's ambiguous whether Yoda thinks Luke needs to kill Vader; however, Obi-Wan clearly does think that Luke needs to kill Vader. When Luke says "I can't kill my own father," (ghost) Obi-Wan says, "Then the Emperor has already won."

Yeah, I agree with this. Obi-wan and Yoda are shown as not having the best relationship. Yoda doesn't want to train Luke, and Obi-wan of sasses him, basically calling him senile. Obi-wan was always shown having an agenda by lying to Luke. However, comically enough, the lies Obi-wans tells are all also due to Lucas' poor writing and changing direct from movie to movie.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
My favorite part of TPM is where Padme reveals she's using a body double and the queen is not really the queen. It's such a stupid scene even the actors have the a "wtf really?" look on their faces.

Also, it makes no sense because there's a part where the fake queen orders the real queen to clean up R2-D2 and "honor" him after he repairs the ship.

I can relate to that because I sometimes like to dress up like a McDonalds employee, and have the guy at the fryer put on a suit and order me to scrub the deep fryer and assign it due honor.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
How do you explain the moronic order to clean up a droid and give it some sort of honor? After you unclog your toilet do you have your children hand polish the plunger and put it up on your mantel and tell your family how amazing it is?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

the last s0n posted:

Also, when was the last time your plunger saved your life?

When you are a girlfriends house and the water in the toilet starts going up past the point of no return a well placed plunger is a live-saver.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

DeimosRising posted:

Who would thank a plumber for keeping their house from flooding? He's a loving plumber, dumabss menial piece of poo poo. He should be glad to fix my pipes and gladder I condescended to pay his dumb barely got a GED rear end. Haha no I don't know how to fix the pipes, I have a real job.

If the plumber was a robot programmed explicitly to fix your plumbing would you thank it then?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

zVxTeflon posted:

This is the dumbest turn any starwars conversation has ever taken

Welcome to the world of SMG where subtext is everything. Poor writing is symbolism, and wooden acting is foreshadowing. It's a fair way to discuss a work though, because it's sort of an interesting way to take a piece of art, completely separating the author (scriptor) from the finished work.

However when applied to the PT, it's laughable because the PT is just a huge honking mess of nonsense plots, poor dialogue, bag CGI, and ridiculous themes it makes for the ultimate death of an author experience.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

sassassin posted:

Arrest him for what?

How about starting a war that he's actually running both sides of, ordering the assassination of Padme, and in general seizing power through manipulation and fraud?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Danger posted:

The laws of common sense don't recognize post-partum depression I guess, a clinical diagnosis that affects like 20% of new mothers.

Post partum depression doesn't occur immediately after birth, it sets in a few days or weeks later. Mothers typically don't crank out new healthy babies, look at them, go "NOPE!", and then die.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

INH5 posted:

I've heard that at least one EU book tried to claim that the medical droids just screwed up (because they weren't designed to operate on humans, or something) and made up the story about "losing her will to live" to cover their rear end.

In any case, presenting a "death by broken heart" out of the blue without any kind of foreshadowing or set up whatsoever is still stupid. And it's not like they didn't have other ways to explain this. They could have just said that injuries from Anakin's force choke caused complications in the birth that led to her death.

They could have just had her die and not say anything about her broken heart. The imagery of her dying tells the story better than any awful dialog.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Strange Matter posted:

It's clearly a pro-choice abortion message. Faced with the reality of giving birth to the children of a monster (comparable to post-rape/incest childbirth), the mother rejects both them and her own will to live.

My husband killed a bunch of children, this makes me so angry I'll have to kill more children to cope.

Check.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

sassassin posted:

Just having her die without a reason is better than saying how she died i.e. 'died of a broken heart' i.e. suicide?

I thought Lucas was to be criticised for laziness.

Sometimes less is more.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Basebf555 posted:

I remember at that time it was a big deal that this completely CGI character could sing and dance and everything and it didn't look like complete poo poo(at that time). I don't know that Lucas put any more thought into it than that, I think he was really just playing with the new technology there. There's a lot of things in the special editions that are absolutely unnecessary to the story, because I think Lucas was pretty happy with the story, he just felt like the movie he filmed didn't look like the one in his head.

I'm pretty sure a lot of the stuff in the OT Special Edition was testing for various technologies he wanted to play with in more detail later. As a tech-demo they are relatively interesting, but as movies they are just complete jokes.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ShineDog posted:

I don't hate every single addition to every shot, particularly where it's cleaning up duff effects, and I don't really care about them adding a few extra background details, it's things like the song and dance, han shooting first, jabba the loving hutt in TPM, the ridiculous celebration in ROTJ, that sort of thing.

What bugs me is how inconsistent it is. They went to great effort to remove say, the translucency from the cockpits in various action scenes, particularly on Hoth, but they left in the really ugly obvious squares around tie fighters during the DSII tunnel chase. They didn't catch the really distracting Y-Wing that suffers a major existence failure while flying off shot untill the Bluray.

I seem to remember Empire coming out of the Special Edition largely unscathed. Is that right? With the obvious exception of Bespins CG being kind of a over the top they don't make any aggressive structural changes that I remember.

At some point they changed a line Luke says to R2D2 when the swamp monster spits him out. He said in the OG OT "You're luckily you don't taste very good" but later he says "You're lucky to get out of there". Also, the Yoda dialogue is different.

i'm not sure if these were changed in the SP OT or on the Blue-ray release, but they were changed somewhere.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

The MSJ posted:

I would welcome it if it becomes a running gag for Bobba Fett movies. At the start of each movie, the protagonist of the previous one gets killed and replaced by a new character.

A Star Wars physical comedy movie staring Chevy Chase as Boba Fett would be amazing.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Sagebrush posted:

Someone painted a picture of Benedict Cumberbatch as Grand Admiral Thrawn, which -- despite Cumberbatch being sort of the internet TV geek flavor of the minute -- seems like a pretty solid casting choice to me.

Oh boy, this again. I can't wait for the rest of the internets casting picks. Please fill up all the forums with them.

I really want Walter Kronkite as an old Qui-Gon Jinn

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

computer parts posted:

I think that's kind of hard now.

Both dead.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

sassassin posted:

A small force of humans launch a daring assault on a largely undefended fortress, because the entire Gungan population is marching across a field towards massed ranks of mechanized infantry.

CGI army against CGI army. Expendable chaff against expendable chaff.

Gungan battle tactics are so advanced because of the will of force that we

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

jivjov posted:

I feel sorry for the guy. He got death threats for years for "killing Chewbacca", despite the fact that it wasn't really his call. If I remember the story correctly, he knew really early that a major character death would occur and was told that it had been decided that they'd kill off Chewie not too far into the writing process. He got to write the scene itself the way he wanted though. Which is good. If Chewie is gonna go out, he needed to go out saving lives and being a badass.

He was the easiest character to kill and was nearly impossible to write for in a book. He doesn't speak english, and has almost no function other than to provide a witty back for forth with Han. You can't only have him say "WRRRRGHGHHAHGH" so many times and fix the Falcon so many times before he is redundant.

Like everything in the EU is was a chicken poo poo choice with no balls.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

There's a danger in trying to pretend that 'the prequels never happened', as it misidentifies the problem - like saying cognitive science undermines human dignity, or whatever. It's the same logic as those fan-edits that make Obiwan cool, and erase JarJar.

Really, the trouble is that Star Wars viewers' faith cannot withstand these 'facts.' The prequels take the ideological assumptions behind all the films to a logical conclusion - stuff that was already in the original films. The prequels are what happens if Luke fails and the message is lost - a possibility that is very real. I remember being totally baffled when a fan insisted that "no, Han Solo does NOT have the force. He is NOT 'Force-Sensitive....'"

The Han Solo card in the original Star Wars CCG had his listed as force sensitive.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Basically, what I'm saying is that I kind of want a movie about George Lucas and the making of Star Wars and I would be way more pumped for that over Episode 7.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_People_vs._George_Lucas

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

porfiria posted:

The midichlorians really do at least kinda seem to be an objective measure of Force Point (tm) totals though. Yoda really is one of the toughest Jedi around, as is Anakin.

The problem with midiclorians and SMG's reading of them is that they 100% are not in the film as a mechanic to show via subtext the Jedi's failures. They are clearly in the movie to give a very specific and direct measurement of force levels. Lucas abandoned them in the second movie because it's a bad idea. An after the fact critical analysis allows you to read it however you want, but that was clearly not the authors intent. I'd prefer to analyze and discuss the Prequels based on how dumb they are and derive comedy from such a conversation, but others prefer to apply a post-modern critical analysis and derive all kinds of meaning, and that's fine! We can all get along. However, it's much more fun to mock the prequels because in a trilogy in which a ton of people get dismembered and children are outright murdered, there's a bunch of fart jokes.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

euphronius posted:

We had the whole midichlorian debate not more than like 2 months ago!

I know.

Isn't the acting in the prequels wooden? Also the dialogue is stale!

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Corek posted:

Yeah, Star Wars has nothing to do with legal minu-

(seriously, Phantom Menace is full of minutiae and Obi Wan specifically states his worry that the Hutts won't answer to them)

Is that a Galactic Empire org chart? Seriously, this thread.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Teek posted:

The big question coming out of the EU mess is where this puts the Ewok TV movies. I'll riot if that means my namesake no longer exists. :colbert:

If there is a God the new JJ Abrams movies will be direct sequels this the Ewok Trilogy.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

PeterWeller posted:

Dark Forces gave us the sewer level meme, right?

I absolutely loved that game. Some of the Dark Troopers at the end were wonky, but otherwise, it was filled with gorgeous environments, not completely linear levels and a fight that made Boba Fett seem like a real bad rear end.

One Dark Force level has you punching out a Krayt Dragon or something insane. The Dark Trooper levels at the end were really difficult too because for the whole game you just mow down storm troopers and then suddenly you face an enemy that is a thousand times more powerful, flies, and has all of the guns. It's a strange ramp up in difficulty.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

CelticPredator posted:

Agreed 100%.

I mean, I love Boba Fett. As a kid he was my favorite toy. I knew some of the EU stuff, like him fighting Vader and escaping the Sarlacc...but I never knew the amount of poo poo that dude did. He married and had a kid? Boba Fett? With a wife and kid?

Insane.

I'm going to wear my full bounty hunter armor and weapon outfit next time my space wife drags me down to Future Sears for a holo life-day card image.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Lunatic Pathos posted:

If you play on whatever the hard difficulty then it's not so extreme a jump. The hardest fights then are the prototypes and that krayt dragon. Especially the prototype you have to fight in tunnels. The final Dark Troopers are actually not so bad if you've got a decent arena since their shots are dodgeable.

Edit: And Boba Fett is killer on hard.

It came out in 95, and I think it was one of the few games we got as soon as it came out. That'd make me 11. I thought I'd have been better at games then, but maybe I was just terrible at it.

EDIT JK was probably the first game my brother and I colluded to removing all the parental advisory stickers from the copies at Walmart so our parents wouldn't see them and not let us by the game.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Apr 29, 2014

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Cardboard Box A posted:

Mace is dead and Lando's not showing up so he's probably dead too. Thus again, there is only one black person in all of Star Wars (at any given time). There can only be one.

That's another way to put it, yes.

That too.

Star Wars: Only One Black Protagonist and One Female Protagonist at any given time.

And one Latino Protagonist. See, they're trying...

At what point does every movie just become the BK kids club so it can appeal to every possible demographic so as not to offend anyone?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Torrannor posted:

I thought Anakin damaged something inside her when he force-choked her? She died in childbirth after a emotionally and physically traumatizing confrontation with her husband. I don't think that's weak.

A medical droid specifically says "she died of a broken heart" like that's the official scientific diagnosis. Now, if her heart was physically damaged and that was the best method to express that in medical terms, that's one thing, but it's likely the droid is just

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

kiimo posted:

I'm scared to click that link. I wasn't sure Ain't It Cool still existed but the memories of slowly finding out on that site what a turd Episode I was going to be are not a good memory.

Oh no, don't you know that in the new GBS 2.0 SAF you aren't allowed to not like the Prequels? Check your privilege at the door you sithgendered scum. Please, SMG come here and convince us (and yourself) that Hayden's wooden acting and awful dialogue is not because Lucas is a terrible director but because the force chose an anti-social super-sperg to be space Jesus.

• Locked thread