Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
Anyone have experience with these USB Saturn-style controllers?

I wanted something with a good dpad to use on my computer and grabbed one off ebay for $7. Waiting for it to arrive and figured I'd see what other people thought of 'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

What are the general opinions on the Retron 3? I like the idea of a consolidated system and the svideo out, but does anyone know much about how accurate they are? I don't know if they use actual hardware or just emulation. I could just wire up a pc for emulation, so I'm curious about how they hold up. For those who don't know, it's a 3-in-1 NES SNES GEN system.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

Code Jockey posted:

Persona 3 Final Boss Stuff

If you haven't already, try taking Elizabeth's request to kill the Reaper to unlock the Monad. Enemies there are like EXP pinatas and it's pretty easy to get to level 85-90 and just win through brute force. Make sure Yukari or whoever your healer is has a Null Charm accessory (you get it as a heart item from Narcisus, who is pretty low level, so it's not too bad). Aside from that just Mind Charge -> Amp + single target spell your way to victory.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

Code Jockey posted:

Yeah, been going after the reaper now actually. He keeps getting me when he's down to like 30% health too, the bastard. :argh: Of course I keep bringing Aigis to the fight, and I shouldn't because she's pretty useless [her buffs don't protect against his stuff really and her attacks don't do much more damage than anyone else's, when they actually hit]

But yeah, probably just going to plug away at him till I take him down, grind in Monad and do my thing.

Its also worth noting that if you maxed the Emperor SLink you can fuse Odin and stunlock the Reaper with with Thunder Reign.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

Welp, after working great for about a week, the dpad in my PlaySega usb Saturn Controller broke. It's a lot harder to play games when you can't move right. I've heard that these have the same PCB shape as original Saturn controllers- I should be able to get a first party controller, swap out the PCB, and have a fairly decent USB Saturn pad, right? Any suggestions on where to get a Saturn pad for cheap?

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I see Trinitron TVs mentioned in this thread a lot- are they all considered pretty good, or are there specific models to look for? In general, smaler is better.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

So I'm in southern CA on vacation and saw this little retro game shop. He's got games stacked from floor to cieling in a pretty impressive collection, but holy crap was it it overpriced. $80 for a beat up, yellowed SNES? $60 for a used copy of Persona 3? There was sone hard to find stuff, like Megaman X3, but the prices were on average 2-3x higher than anything online. Oh well. Any recommendations for cool game shops around San Diego? I want to check out any good ones.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

So I'm looking at those $15 SFCs- If I order through Rakuten, what do I need to know? Can I just hook it up with US cables? Rakuten ships to the US, right?

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

Just to add to the emu-box discussion, I recently turned one of my old laptops into one and it works fantastically. Use a frontend like GameEX and set it to automatically startup when you load Windows. It can be controlled with a joypad and will let you select games by title instead of loading up an emulator and then wrestling with different interfaces. It takes some setting up but I have it outputting to a CRT TV via S-Video and it looks fantastic. BSNES (now higan) on a CRT is pretty drat close, and probably better than anything a Retron would put out.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

Welp, I knew reading this thread was a bad good idea. I snagged this for $50 today:

I stopped by another game store on the way back and picked these up, too:

I sold my old SNES way back, but emulation can only go so far. I'm really excited to have real hardware again. Time to do the Famicom cart mod to play DKC2, then look online for more games :retrogames:
I'm surprised how little yellowing the system has- the only thing that's yellowed at all are the controller ports for some reason. Any idea why this would be the case?

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

So on average, how much does a SFC cart weigh? What about with a box? Trying to figure out how deep I'm going with shipping fees.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

So there's a 60 to 72 pin NES / Famicom converter for pretty cheap at my LGS and I've got some questions. I know the Famicom had better sound on a lot of games and that the NES didn't connect the pin needed to get it. What happens, though, when you use a converter to play Famicom games on an NOAC? I know clones are looked down on around here, but I'm just curious how a Retron 1 or something would handle Famicom games. Do I still get the extra screens in Contra? Would Zelda sound just like the US version or would it sound more like the examples on this page:

http://legendsoflocalization.com/the-legend-of-zelda/audio/

Also, would there be any benefit to playing these on a real NES with the converter vs just playing the USA releases? I'm just trying to figure out if I want to bite the bullet and import a real Famicom or just go with the poor man's version.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

Just placed my first Rakuten order! Super Metroid, Rockman X, and Gundam Wing: Endless Duel. I'm pretty stoked, I've never done this before so I went with a small order to test out the waters. Next order is probably going to be X2/X3, Contra Spirits, and Mother 2. I can feel the :retrogames: coming on :ohdear:

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

Tyson Tomko posted:

Hell yeah Endless Duel! This has the honor of being the very first game I ever played on an SNES emulator way back when, I was blown away! I got it for Christmas complete in box last year and I was equally blown away. I had about 5 seconds of wondering why the gently caress my brother got me a Gundam Wing VHS tape then my jaw dropped when I realized it was a SFC game.

I could let the intro for that game play indefinitely.

I played it once in high school on a friend's "1000 games on a CD" emulator things he torrented or whatever, and remember loving it. I looked up a video of it to see if it looked as awesome as I remembered it and instantly knew I had to own it. I love a good fighter, and I just got two first party controllers. Gonna go to my LGS and buy replacement pads for them tomorrow so they're good as new :D

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

Have you tried disabling any of the controllers in Device Manager to see if the others show up? I wonder if you could set up a script to enable / disable them automatically when you change emulators. If not, maybe have individual 4 port hubs per system and swap them out when you change systems?

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

Ok, so I placed my Rakuten order a few days ago and just got this back:

Japanese I can't read posted:

この度、ゲームス レトロゲーム館において下記の手続きが完了しましたのでご連絡させていただきます。
・注文内容修正(送料の確定・変更、価格・個数・手数料の変更など)

手続き後のご注文内容を下記に記載しておりますので、ご確認ください。

ご不明な点がございましたら、ショップ「ゲームス レトロゲーム館」までお問い合わせください。

Google translate didn't help much- I think this is just an email saying my order was processed? I just wanted to make sure I'm doing this right and that I don't need to reply in some way. All the other emails so far have had English translations in them that were relatively easy to follow. Could someone give me the gist of what it says?

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I ordered from Auc-egames. Surugaya didn't have Super Metroid in stock and this store seemed pretty good.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

Similar to the F-Zero change, in DKC2, turning around in Glimmer's Galleon no longer flashes the screen white.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

So I was looking into a Gamecube + GBA Player, but I found this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plug-your-G...=item2a28292d5d

Has anyone used one before? How well does it work? That seems like a pretty sweet deal to add TV out to a GBA.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

ACID POLICE posted:

They told me the AV Famicom didn't come with controllers. Well at least I didn't buy any others yet :v:

Please tell me you ordered Fighting Golf based entirely on the cartridge and name. I have it sitting in my shopping cart for my next order for the exact same reason.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

Is there a good site to get US retro games that isn't ebay? Basically something like Rakuten for America. I guess Amazon but I'm wondering if there's a better alternative.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

Murphy Brownback posted:

Ok, thanks. Next time I go home I'll take some pictures and make a thread at some point. And yeah, I'm not sure what I was thinking with the selling as a lot vs individually thing. I'll definitely piece it out, at least for the rarer ones. The Mega Man 1-6 set is probably the most valuable, although the box for the first one is beat to hell - the rest are near mint condition. I'll at least get a list together, but most of the details will have to wait until I can get pictures and go through everything again.

e: I went through a list of all the NES games and made a list of the ones I know for sure I have. I didn't list the ones I wasn't too sure about - it's hard to remember how many parts of a series I have, etc, so for those I just put the first one in the series. http://pastebin.com/96bpB18a So, a total of 177 games (+1 aladdin game, 1 game genie) that I can remember, probably close to 200 once I get back and see the ones I forgot about, all in the boxes+dust jacket thing, estimate 2/3 with manuals.

I'd be happy to take this to SA Mart, but I'd be interested in:

Blaster Master
Bionic Commando
Bad Dudes
Faxanadu
Shatterhand
Maybe Battletoads too?

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

First Rakuten order came in!

Then, on the way home, I snagged this for :10bux:

The only problem is that it seems like the N64 will reset itself at random times. The furthest I managed to get was Bomb-omb battlefield before it did. Anyone see this before / know what might cause it?

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

If you're looking for a good SFC puzzle game, you can't go wrong with Panel de Pon / Tetris Attack. I'm not sure how well known it is, but it's my favorite puzzle game by a long shot. (It doesn't play like Tetris at all- it was just branded with the name for the US release).

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

This is one of my favorite threads specifically because of how many different things are discussed- AV mods, obscure import games, garage sale finds, reviews and impressions of games I've never played. It's all good. Have something to say that's related to retro gaming? Post it, who cares what the current discussion is. I want to read reviews of Pinball Quest inbetween the rainbow bar talk.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

Unmature posted:

Doubles/crap I don't want picture!

The no case disc is Lupin III for PS2
F-Zero has no insert, but does have the booklet and game
Final Fantasy Legends II's save battery is dead and the cart is cracked
X-Men is sealed, but still worthless

Let me know if you can't identify something.

Smaller Carts:
Sonic Pocket Adventure - NGPC
Metal Slug 2nd Mission - NGPC
Drill Dozer - GBA

Definitely interested in that Super Puzzle Fighter, and probably FF Legend.

iastudent posted:

Since we're getting into this trading thing, here's a couple I don't mind getting rid of if anyone's interested.

I'd be interested in Castlevania here.

Let's see what I can put together for trades, will edit in a moment.

Getting a picture, but I have:

Genesis:
6 Pack (Cart)
688 Attack Sub (CIB)
NBA Jam (Cart + Box)
Ecco the Dolphin (CIB)

SNES:
Stargate
Alien 3

NES:
Strider

GBA:
Contra Advance (no label)
Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga (no label)

DS:
Children of Mana
Dragon Quest IX

Here's a crappy pic:

Note that the Strider cart is covered in red sharpie and M&L has the name sharpied onto it. Contra Advance is a plain cart, but neither are pirated.

DeathBySpoon fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 15, 2013

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

Cart only, sorry. If you're still interested my email is athreshe@gmail.com. I'd be willing to leverage some paypal funds too or whatever.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

iastudent posted:

More trade stuff!

The Shining Force box doesn't have a game, but does have the instructions inside. Taz Mania is CIB. For carts, the one with all the stickers on it is Home Alone and the scraped-up label one is Rocket Knight Adventures.

Anything of mine you'd like to trade for that stick then?

I already sold Body Harvest to Jim Silly-Balls and I'm trading Xenophobe to Jitzu_the_Monk.

Interested in Rocket Knight. Is there anything in my earlier post you want?

Unmature posted:

Me want.

Wait, is it cart only?

Do you still want DQIX? I'm still interested in Puzzle Fighter / FF Legend.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

shymog posted:

This isn't all of my dupes, but this is what I could dig up without tearing through two of my closets right now, since this box was handy:

Album: http://imgur.com/a/LQtrT

I'm interested in UMK3. I'd be willing to paypal you something for it if nothing in my trades catches your attention.

Edit:

Updated Trade List

Cart Only:

Sega 6 Pack (Gen)
Dragon Quest IX (DS)
Children of Mana (DS)
Alien 3 (SNES)
Stargate (SNES)
Blast Corps (N64)
Duke Nukem 64 (N64)
Banjo Tooie (N64)
Contra Advance (GBA) (No label)
Mario & Luigi (GBA) (No label)
Pokemon Trading Card Game (GBC)

Boxed:

Ecco the Dolphin (Gen)
NBA Jam Tournament Ed. (Gen)
688 Attack Sub (Gen)

DeathBySpoon fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 16, 2013

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

So I got a Rakuten order in today, but it only had two of the four games I ordered :( I ordered from Auc-egames, so I sent them an email in the simplest English I could saying that games were missing from my package and asking for help. Is that pretty much all I can do?

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

Does anyone here have a Supercard Mini SD? I'm considering grabbing one, mostly to play Mother 3 and the GBA release of Shin Megami Tensei. I know it has slowdown problems with a lot of games, but has anyone played either of those two titles (or could you try them out)? If so, how was the slowdown?

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

How long does it usually take to get a shipping quote from Surugaya? I've been ordering from Auc-e-games, so this is my first order with them. I usually got it in less than a day. After getting Mother 2 in the other day I broke down and placed an order for Mother 3, but then I saw that I could get every Mega Drive Phantasy Star game CIB :retrogames:

Well, it'll be an opportunity to get my hands dirty and do some real Genesis modding, at least!

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

Cicero posted:

So it's a Sharp brand famicom? Is there anything special about it?

It's pretty much the only version of the Famicom that can give true RGB output and they're getting incredibly hard to find. It's THE Famicom, really.

On the topic of Ebay, look at this totally legit Pokemon cart I found!

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

How do you guys store your GBA games? I'd like to keep them in a manner that still displays what titles I have (IE not in a box) but makes them easy to pick up and play. Honestly a rack like the ones they have at Gamestop seems like it would work, but I have no idea where I'd get something like that. Any suggestions?

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

the_lion posted:

Doing my first run of Super Metroid, never played before. Sweet game, but I can't get that goddamn walljump to work. I just got the ice beam.

This was on the last page, but I wanted to help out. The easiest way to master wall jumping in Super Metroid is to remember that you don't push away from the wall and jump at the same time- if you're flipping towards a wall on your left, the button input should be:

(holding Left towards wall) ... (Tap and release right) ... (Jump)

In that order. Don't push away and jump at the same time- jump has to come AFTER you've already pushed away from the wall. Mega Man X and Mario 64 have conditioned us to walljump by pushing jump and the direction at the same time, but Super Metroid has a pause in the input.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

TheKoleslaw posted:

If you end up in that pit with the three gremlin-looking guys too early (before you get the space jump,) you *have* to use the wall jumping to get out. I remember it frustrating me to no end when I was a kid.

Yup, that took me at least an hour to escape. On the plus side, now I can walljump effortlessly and I've almost broken 1 hour real-time for completion! If you enjoy Super Metroid, I'd really encourage you to revisit it after you're done and try playing around with a lot of the skips / glitches / strange runs you can do. Low%, No Boss / Mini Boss, or just plain speed, the game is a ton of fun to play in so many different ways.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

This guy is one of the many reasons EVERYONE should check out https://www.speedrunslive.com when they get a chance. It's the perfect thing to leave on a media center or second monitor when it's not in use.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

A white Japanese Sega Saturn with all of the hookups just popped onto my Craigslist for $40. Am I correct in thinking this is an incredible deal? I'm trying to get some pictures of it now. I've never owned a Saturn but that seems like a great way to start.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

Gutcruncher posted:

You monster! Why not simply give the games a new reason for living?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQlCaroTcIw

This is art.

Arranged to buy the Saturn later- he sent pics and it has the box! I'm excited to get my Sega on, now I can join in on the $0.10 Evangelion / Gundam shovelware bandwagon :D (Why ARE Saturn games so dang cheap?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

It's beautiful :qq:

$40 for the whole haul. Is there an easy way to check for a mod chip? I kinda doubt it has one, but I figure it's worth checking. Is there a new Saturn owner guide somewhere that gives the rundown on mod chips, expansion cards, and the like? I figure I need a mod chip to play US games / CD-Rs but I'm not sure what to get for the memory expansion... thing.

E: I almost forgot- is there a way to add more items onto a Rakuten+Surugaya order before they ship it? I want to throw some Saturn games into my last order. I put in my order on the 18th and I still haven't received a shipping confirmation email.

DeathBySpoon fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 23, 2013

• Locked thread