Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
My friend recommended me Persona 4, and seemed almost shocked that i hadn't played/really heard about it. I don't have a PS Vita, is Persona 4 on the PSN playable? Or is it really showing its age?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Thanks!

Is there anything besides what is in the OP that i should know about before i start my journey? (I have never played any of the persona games).

I get the feeling this is going to be a weird weird game.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Nate RFB posted:

OP's advice is pretty solid for Vanilla P4. I'd also suggest that you try to finish dungeons as early as possible, both because it will help out your S. Link schedule for party members and because you'll probably want to spread the first couple of dungeons out across a couple of days to alleviate your SP woes.

Thanks, i will do that. I am super confused about the name entry, why do they want the Last name first? Is that how it shows up in game?

Like if my guys name is for example John Shepard, and i enter it such Shepard John, is the game going to call me Shepard John?

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Accordion Man posted:

No, it's surname first because that's how Japan does names. So if you input Shepard John it will be John Shepard in-game.

:psyboom:

So basically the order the game asks you in is the order your name will appear. In Japan are they going to call you by your Surname or your first name?

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Squallege posted:

Shepard-kun

:allears: It is stupid as hell, but i have to do it.

Thuryl posted:

Different characters will address you differently; in general, addressing you by your surname means they're being more formal. When your full name appears in-game, it'll appear in Western order; given name followed by surname.

So it is a weird mix of western and Japanese style?

UberJumper fucked around with this message at 04:36 on May 13, 2014

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Strange Quark posted:

You're almost never going to refer to others by their first names in Japan unless you're really close. The English localization actually had your party members call each other by their first names in the game, whereas in the Japanese version they only used surnames.

Ahh okay, thanks that makes sense.

Chie seems really mean :smith:

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
I cannot beat this stupid knight for the life of me, i know it uses fire attacks, and its weak to ice. But i simply cannot kill it before it just overwhelms my party.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Danbri posted:

Does it perform a move called Power Charge? That greatly amplifies the damage of its next attack, so you should make sure everyone guards to mitigate the damage.

You may potentially be under-leveled for that section, say if you're barely defeating the enemies around you. The opening can be rough, I was immediately trounced by a king monster with summons on the second floor my first time. You have more time than it seems to finish the dungeon, if you want to take a game day to level up some.

It was the knight around level ~4 of Yuriko's dungeon. I kind of stumbled into the battle half expecting to get a save point before that boss. He ended up killing my weakened guys pretty quickly. I reloaded and i ended up killing him pretty well. Now i am stuck on the Yuriko-thing on level 9 of the tower.

Its April 23rd and i cannot figure out how to beat her.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Manatee Cannon posted:

I assumed he was talking about Golden since this is the P4G thread. :shrug:

This is the only persona thread on the forums :smith:

Accordion Man posted:

The key is never attack the Prince. He heals Yukiko for the first few turns but then proceeds to not do anything as long as you don't attack him. Also have Chie be blocking at all times unless you have a Persona that gives her fire immunity like Slime.

You are awesome, i followed your advice about the prince and just destroyed Yukiko. Chie managed to dodge pretty much every single AOE attack. By the end of the battle i had almost no SP left on any of my characthers.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
It is the night of the 27th, what exactly should i be doing? I have just mostly been killing time since I rescued Yukiko. But nobody seems to want to do anything. :smith:

Also the other detective is creepy.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Awesome thanks for the tips, i made it to mid may.

:allears: Chie :allears:

But i have an undeniable urge to hit Yosuke. I have a somewhat werid question, is Kanji supposed to be gay? He popped up like 3 days ago and i have and i get a really weird vibe about him (a combination of him sneaking around with another man, getting super freaked out when someone calls him strange/werid, and there is just something really weird).

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
:allears: Kanji :allears:

Does this game have some sort of romance system? If i keep being nice to Chie and it more and more seems to be moving towards some sort of ~romance~. Is this going to lead to some sort of awkward situation where Yukiko is going to hate me?

Please tell me there isn't going to be an awkward mass effect style romance thing. :negative:

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
gently caress i can't take this anymore after i read about all the awesome more stuff Persona 4 Golden has, i just.. have to buy a PSVita for that game. I just have to do it, Persona 4 is so good.

:allears:

*EDIT* Also Chie is so awesome :allears:

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Captain Oblivious posted:

She is indeed basically the raddest. Her voice actor is completely different in P4G, be ye fairly warned. I like her new voice actor better personally because while P4 Chie is cool and all, she sounds waaaaay older than Chie is supposed to be.

I just listened to a clip from Chie's voice actor... :stonklol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtD6xGD9RII

:smithicide:

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Really Pants posted:

How about this clip, from the new skiing scene near the end of the game? There aren't any huge plot spoilers or anything.

:smithicide:

I checked out a few other spoiler free comparisions and Chie's new voice is really really high pitched, and it sounds off to me. I am pretty sure Chie and the investigation team supposed to be around 16-17 years old (i don't want to look at the wiki, because i am scared of spoiling something). In that clip just from the little bits i checked, she sounds like she is ~12 and isn't taking anything seriously.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

You have forgotten what actual 12 year olds sound like.

This is very true.

projecthalaxy posted:

I liked Chie's new voice. PS2 Chie sounded like a 45 year old woman trying to be a teenager. Vita Chie sounded like a teenager. It's a subtle difference.

I thought she sounded like a normal 16~17 year old, i am sure she will grow on me.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
You can have a romantic relationship with the music girl? She looks like she is 10 :staredog:

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
I bought Persona 4 Golden today and the guy working at gamestop told me kanji is the best characther :unsmith:.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Is there anything really important changes i should know about going from P4 to Persona 4 Golden?

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

ApplesandOranges posted:

The first two bosses were made easier, and fusion is also easier since you can pick what skills to pass down now. You get more time than before to finish your Social Links (about an extra month), and there are two new Social Links, Jester and Aeon, with some Personas moved to their Arcana and new ones added. If you want to max them out, Jester needs to hit Rank 6 before November and Aeon needs to be maxed before you finish the December dungeon. Completing Aeon also gets you an extra dungeon in February and access to the new Golden ending.

There are a few days eaten up by new events they put in during the summer and school year, and you can explore at nighttime about a month or so into the game (which lets you do things like pray at the shrine to boost SLs, meet SLs outside and spend time with them, and pick up scooters or models to work on in your room).

At some point you also get access to a scooter, which after riding enough times gets you access to two new locations to explore around town. You can also take party members on scooter trips during the day to unlock new skills or to re-learn old ones.

Party members also get costumes to wear in dungeons.

Awesome Thanks.

Nate RFB posted:

You can pray at the shrine at night to boost any given S. Link. So if you try to level up a Link but fail, rather than spending a precious daytime slot on that Link you could instead boost it a bit at the shrine the night before. I can't fully remember when the shrine opens up...I think you have to start Hermit first?

You also have two new links to work on: Jester and Aeon. Aeon you want to max before the end of December, and Jester you need to get to level 6 before I think October (the rest are handled within the story). For Jester if you did get it to level 6 you will also be prompted to meet up with him in-story late in the game, which you need to say "Yes" to.

Aeon is supposed to be Marie, but who is the Jester? Is there another new characther?

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Accordion Man posted:

Jester is Adachi, Dojima's partner.

Ahh the guy with the creepy eyes (he blinks so much).

They really improved alot of stuff, getting persona's and cards is so much more enjoyable. Skill Cards seem like an awesome system. However being able to pass skills down, and persona search fix my biggest complaint with P4. It is just so wonderful.

Chie's new VA is starting to grow on me, but Marie seems pretty awesome :allears:

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

alcharagia posted:

I think this is actually the first time these words have been unironically spoken on these forums. Good job on your first, UberJumper!

Eh she likes meat.

Are you denying that Marie is the most tiresome and generic tsundere destined anime waifu? It's basically the same criticism people have of Yukiko except taken to 11.

Yukiko at least has the decency to not write terrible poetry and not be all BUT IT'S NOT LIKE I LIKE YOU OR ANYTHING B-BAKA every event.

After looking up with tsundere means, i don't really see how it applies to marie after the two scenes i have seen with her. She seemed pretty nice when you first do something with her? She is kinda of a jerk when you first meet her in the limo, but i just assumed its a byproduct of being stuck in the limo (i imagine that must be horribly boring).

I haven't met Rise or the person with the blue hat from the intro, but marie doesn't seem that bad, so far.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Eh i agree she is kind of akwardly shoe horned in, but i honestly don't mind that much. I am guessing she is going to be used to explain a bit more about the room, the nose and the girl in the blue coat.

So far from what i have seen her story is pretty :smith:, she has no idea of anything really, she is confused and forced to serve a man who apparently never speaks.

:allears: Ghost Stories :allears:

I still really do not like Chie's new VA. Sometimes its fine, other times it just doesn't work.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Endorph posted:

Igor wasn't given any new lines in P4G because his japanese voice actor died.

I was more referring to the fact that Marie says that the Nose never speaks when she is complaining about living in the limo.

Also did Persona 4 Golden remove people asking to study with you? I just got to exams and i very distinctly recall studying a few times with Chie, i never got that option this time.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
After getting the first social link with Adachi, and hanging out with him, i find him so odd. I am assuming he is just an awkward minor character who was promoted to fulfill an arcana type social link?

I just find him so weird.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
I managed to clear Kanji's dungeon on the first day it was made available. I blew through every single soul item i had, as well as all my tap soda. However those little tomatoes were so key. Does this just mean i get a bunch of extra days to just hangout with people?

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
What the gently caress? I was exploring Yukiko's castle doing side quests, and i opened a chest after teddy told me not to. The guy one shotted my entire party doing around 3000 damage. :wtc:

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Hellioning posted:

To be fair, you were warned.

True.

Adachi's SLink just oozes akwardness. Also Kanji is amazing, can i just never talk to or use yosuke again?

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Wow Yosuke, you just got way too creepy. The whole bikini thing is just ugh.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Behold the dark side of anime. I regret to inform you that this is the tip of the creepy Japanese iceberg. There will be FAR worse later on.

:negative: I did how laugh at the whole bike try and get girls phone numbers part.

Poonerman posted:

So, you keep the goods under the futon?

:psyduck: What?

So Ai typically asks you to skip school, i asked her out and had the correct bravery before i even met Kanji. But she has never asked me to skip clases, talking to her she just asks me to skip classes with her some time. Did i miss something?

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Yeah... about Adachi...

I am pretty sure he is the killer. I really hope i am wrong. Adachi leaves the building to get the papparazi, and Rise is apparently gone?

:allears: Teddie :allears: Can i score with you ladies someday...?

I have a question, why is everyone obsessed with Rise? Isn't she just an actress? Or is this just some sort of japanese thing?

UberJumper fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 17, 2014

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Uberjumper, don't read any of this is essentially the lesson we can take away from this.

I have more or less been ignoring everything in this thread unless it is about me.

So i am getting destroyed in Rise's dungeon.

My main current Persona Team is:

LV 31 Take-Minakata (Lighting Spells)
LV 27 Phoenix (Wind, Fire Spells)
LV 20 Ame-no-Uzume (Ice, Dark)
LV 28 High-Pixie (Lighting, Foolish Whisper + Silence Boost)
LV 30 Power (Debuff Skills)

I keep running into dudes who just demolish and destroy my entire party with Physical attacks. Also i almost every single one of my skills are AoE focused which is becoming a huge issue. Does anyone have any suggestions for decent personas around level 30?

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

smenj posted:

It's been a while since I've played the game, so I can't really give you any specific recommendations for suitable Personas around your level, but you could perhaps try and fuse one immune (or at least resistant to) Physical damage? If not, you could always take a quick trip through one of the dungeons you've already finished for some extra levels before you try and tackle it again.

There is none immune to physical damage, that i can fuse for my level. However Take-minakata is resistant, however it just doesn't seem to do that much against the samurai warriors, who use gale-slash over and over. I might have to grind, i am level 33 so i might be underleveled for rise's dungeon.

Nate RFB posted:

Silly question, but how often are you upgrading your equipment?

Fairly often, i bought the best possible weapons and armour from the blacksmith before heading into rise's dungeon.

Iceclaw posted:

First, get Rakshaha. Dude's a beast.
Second, things with no weakness tend to be dreadfully weak to status ailment, and lookit what your good buddy Yosuke has, Tentarafoo!

I got him before but i couldn't get any decent spells on him. So i stuck all my buff/debuff/status aliment skills on him. He wasn't very tanky though.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

smenj posted:

Well, I don't know if you have already or not, but going through Yukiko's dungeon again could be handy for you. It should be easy given the level you are, you'll probably gain some levels in the process, and there's a nice weapon for Yukiko at the end.

EDIT: Quote for new page.

Already went through Yukiko's dungeon, and beat the new boss at the end. Where is Yukiko's weapon in that dungeon?

Also i figured out why my main characther was so drat weak, his armour is still a T-Shirt. Even though i swear i bought and equipped better armour. :iiam:

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

OH NO MAN posted:

Get Ose. He might look like a silly cheetahman wearing panties, but he has this physical skill called Atom Smasher (2x-4x phys damage to all enemies, chance to inflict Fear) that absolutely wrecks poo poo. Pretty much anything that isn't immune to physical damage either gets killed instantly or loses a huge chunk of health.

Yeah he is actually really good. Thanks for the idea.

Is there anyway to tell what the spell on the skill card does? Without going onto the internet, or running to Marie?

Another boss after Rise? gently caress.

UberJumper fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 17, 2014

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
:staredog: Teddie :staredog:

*EDIT* I don't know if i can deal with another guy who seems to revolve around sex.

UberJumper fucked around with this message at 01:47 on May 18, 2014

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, he can be a little unbearable.

I have come to conclusion that the vast majority of this game is about sex. Which makes me wonder exactly what would have Chie's dungeon look like if she had one. :staredog:

How is Rise?

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

SyntheticPolygon posted:

If you can ignore the sheer amount of times she repeats "Senpai" then she's pretty alright. But then again I enjoyed pretty much every character.

Edit: Also, in Golden she gets some abilities that make her really helpful in battle, even though she's just mission control. So that's a plus.

Awesome, i like the idea of a mission control character.

Hellioning posted:

Do you think that the main character should be fawned over? If so, you will enjoy her scenes. If not, you will probably not.

I, myself, have no real issue with her, though I vastly prefer the jaded, burnt-out idol she was before she got kidnapped.

Shepard-kun does not need any fawning. :commissar:

Strange Quark posted:

Well, the game is about teenagers. V:v:V

True, so very true, and a lot of lonely middle aged women, who have a thing for the main characther.

Speaking of older women.... :staredog:

The Devil Persona, so she asked me if we wanted to study. Next thing you know she is naming the muscles in his back, his front chest, then his inner thigh. Then uhhh :staredog:
Fades to black
"And oho, do you know what this is called...?
> ...
> ......
> .........
> You spent some time with Sayoko..."

Did what i think happen, just happen? :staredog:

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
If i hear "Senpai" one more time. :smithicide:

Rise :commissar:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

SENPAIIIIII ^_______________^

It is a testament to how bad Marie is that I actually hate her more than Rise. Actually no I kind of maybe take that back. It's a draw. I can't decide which is worse. Rise's S-Link does not sit well with me on any level.

I don't understand, why everyone hates marie. She has been completely fine (aside from her poetry), so far and i am at level 5 srank. Unless something terrible happens.

Apparently i was wrong about Adachi :unsmith:. I was semi wondering when that creepy kid would come back.

Also apparently i entered into an intimate relationship with Yukiko. :smith:

• Locked thread