Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm halfway through my second playthrough at this point. I'm falling in love with this game all over again. Also:

Why did I do this :v:

Edit:

Sankis posted:

Speaking of SP, does anyone NOT use Yukiko? She has so much god drat SP and can cast healing spells all day. Plus fire is usually useful.

Hey man, I was too busy rocking out with Kanji, Chie and Naoto to use Yukiko at all. :colbert:

(I still leveled everyone, though)

Arist fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Liquid Penguins posted:

Should I just stop using the sos or is there actually a point to it?

I don't know, you tell me.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Careful, some bike trips are a waste of a day. Rise's are always useful because they add a very large chunk to All Out Attacks eventually. Teddie has enough good skills naturally and through S.Link that the mediocre stuff he learns through bikes aren't worth wasting a day, Kanji's Bike stuff is just all around bad. Chie can finally get Bufudyne through Bikes :v: and Hamaon is useful on her if you don't use Naoto.

Yukiko's bike skills are pretty useful, Mind Charge obviously is great but even spirit drain is useful, Marakunda is really good against bosses.

Naoto's problem is she has 8 slots and like 16 good skills, in the end I just left her with Garudyne, Mahamaon, Mamudoon for the elements even though her bike stuff is all good.

Yosuke gets Confuse up which looks useless but actually makes Tentarafoo kinda cool

Doesn't Teddie learn Dekunda through bikes? That seems worth it, at least.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Spite posted:

How does that work? Can you get skill cards out of personas?

Go to Chagall.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I always used Kanji for that fight. Plan out what turn you're going to destroy the barrier on, then skip the AOA and hit him with a Power Charged Cruel Attack.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

So, there's this kid on the second floor of the Practice Building who will trade your weapons for stat-identical reskins. If you trade him the sword Triumph, he gives you a lightsaber. :black101:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Speaking of, does the Mr. Pringles exploit still work? I couldn't imagine making infinite money without it.

Nope, he starts casting Megidolaon after a few turns.

Though, I honestly never had a problem with money/EXP in this game. I finished my first run at level 95 without grinding.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think what really spoiled Reach Out to the Truth for me is that I've been listening to superior versions of that song (band and Reincarnation) for the last few years.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Edit: beaten

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

So I was fighting Kunino-sagiri yesterday, and I had Power Charged Kanji to take down its last bit of health.

Then it used Control. Rise upped the group's attack, and then Kanji hit me with Primal Force for ~850 damage, killing me instantly from full health. :suicide: Fortunately, Rise revived me, but I couldn't believe it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Very nearly zero. Persona 1 and 2 are completely unrelated (and Persona 1's pretty drat bad anyway), while P4 contains a few references to Persona 3, most of which are contained to one area about halfway through the plot. They are pure fanservice and will not impact your enjoyment of the game at all.

Edit: gently caress, beaten like five times

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The Grimace posted:

I didn't even think about that. I would kill to have Chie wearing her Epilogue gear. She looks really cool with her new outfit and longer hair. Not to mention Kanji...

vvv Thanks, sorry.

Yeah, it's a real shame that we can't equip them as outfits in NG+. All the epilogue designs are really great, especially Chie and Kanji's.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Esroc posted:

I use Yosuke, Chie, and Kanji with a focus on heavy and severe phys damage. Yosuke is my healer, with Diarama and a whole mess of Macca Leaves.

I know I should probably use different party members, but all my other characters are between like level 45-55. And after all the work I've put into my current party I hate the idea of having to grind for god knows how long to get another character up to my current level. Hell it took me over four hours just to grind from 70 to 90 because the drat Golden Hands run away at the drop of a hat :argh:

If you're not going to use a dedicated healer, definitely try to fuse a good persona for that. I find Kikuri-Hime (Priestess) to be a decent choice when I play.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Bogart posted:

I'm at 6/20 and I can't seem to find the girl to talk to so as to trigger Kanji's Social Link? I fear that I've missed out on a link with my best bro forever. :smith:

Just check back every day. I ran into the same problem during my NG+. Unfortunately, I'm fairly certain that his next available day if you missed him up to that point is after the next dungeon opens, which is really crappy.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Bogart posted:

Oh, bugger that, then. I hate the fishing minigame. Thanks, though!

They're wrong, you don't need to give the woman anything. She will ask for a Red Goldfish, but if you don't have one she'll still give you the net, just not the normal reward of a jewel in addition.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Captain Oblivious posted:

I forget, does weapon strength actually factor into persona physical special attack damage or is that just keyed off of strength and the ability?

The latter, though strength factors into normal attack damage.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Nate RFB posted:

Are you sure? I'm fairly sure I talked to her and she asked for a Red Goldfish and just ended the conversation there.

I did the same thing on my last playthrough and I most certainly did not have a Red Goldfish to trade. Maybe I waited longer so the flags changed or something.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Nate RFB posted:

April and December are the only two where you want to put off entering the TV until the last second, though it's harder in April's case since there is better chance you will need a couple of days to do it. All other dungeons are best completed the day they open up.

Man, I clear out the April dungeon on the first day every time. :colbert: Frees up my party members for Social Links.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Cake Attack posted:

Never More, assuming we're thinking of the same song.

It's the version from the Reincarnation album, though, not the original (which I believe is the one on Hee Hee Ho).

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Coughing Hobo posted:

The fox's mood has nothing to do with how much he charges, it's based on your social link rank. At rank 1, per SP restored he charges 60 yen, and each rank lowers the cost by 5, until at rank 10 it's 15 yen.

They were referring to his actual mood, which acts as an additional modifier on top of that. With a low SL rank and an angry fox, you're going to be paying huge fees for recovery.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Larsson posted:

Just fused Mara.

Um...well...that's quite a nice chariot.

Remember, it's not a real Mara without Power Charge and Growth 3. :getin:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

JetGrind posted:

Wait, how did you get a time skip after Heaven? Did you get a bad ending or something?

Also, unless I'm wrong, you should have until February to max her link.

You have until the end of December to do it. Marie's available every day in December, though, and the game even tells you that, which should raise a giant "DO THIS NOW" flag in your mind.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The thing I really didn't like about Marie is that is tried to force the romance stuff on you in story scenes even when you said no in her Social Link.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

My favorite part of that dungeon is that you can get Coin cards in Shuffle Time and the game will increase your payout to a whopping zero yen. :v:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

If I have Evade Ice, and equip and Eye of Ice (Greatly raises evasion to ice) do they stack in any way? or will one just overwrite the other.

I'm pretty sure Evade skills don't stack. Whichever has the greater value will take effect.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Really Pants posted:

It's a little weird hearing Laura Bailey as a bubbly teeny bopper after Saints Row the Third.

Does Rise gain XP in combat like the rest of your droogs, or are her extra abilities all from Social Links?

She gains experience along with your party.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Pollyanna posted:

As for Shadow Namatame, his deal is a little different. The Shadow Namatame we see is not Shadow Namatame at all, but Amenosagiri or possibly Izanami.

It's neither of them. When Shadow Namatame appears, the group is so focused on the idea that he's the killer that they create a false narrative in their minds. This created the image seen on the Midnight Channel at that time, in the same way that Rise's image on the Midnight Channel was sexualized beyond reality. Izanami's "window" shows you what you want to see, not what's actually true.

Also, neither Ameno-sagiri nor Izanami had any real reason to interfere with the murder case.

Arist fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jan 15, 2013

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You can only find the final bug at night, by the way. I refreshed my save so many times before I realized... :argh:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Some people keep mentioning being able to adjust EXP rate on newgame+ is this an option that opens up later because I just set up new game plus and all I got was the ability to change my difficulty, or is that just what they mean?

Changing difficulty changes EXP gained, damage dealt/received, and money earned. You can mix and match these options in NG+.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

psychoticBacofoil posted:

Going in with my usual party of Chie, Brosuke and Teddie then, I'll be grinding a while though, nobody but my Persona are in the 70s yet and I'm worried about possibly getting demolished.

Teddie is a bad, bad choice for that dungeon. Have you leveled Kanji at all? You may have trouble otherwise.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Go level Kanji now. It'll probably take less than 2 hours if you hit enough Gold Hands. :colbert:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

psychoticBacofoil posted:

Or I can level Naoto up because the fact that I have Zio moves kind of makes Kanji irrelevant.

That's not why Kanji is useful in that dungeon. You want him for physical attacks.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sharkman posted:

Not true. Bufu will never, ever upgrade to Bufula. It will only ever become Mabufu. I know this because on that super-Izanagi I posted earlier, I had both Zio and Mazio, and was told I couldn't upgrade skills the next time I got a Magician card. Same goes for Zionga and MaZionga never becoming the -dyne versions, and I assume the same goes for everything else.

Say, what's the best hit-all Physical skill I could get? Agneyastra is cool and all, but it almost never hits with all three. I have skill cards for Brave Blade and Myriad Arrows, but I'm seeing some people on the internet say that Blade of Fury is better, despite being a Medium Phys attack.

Vorpal Blade is a heavy hit-all, though it only hits once.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There shouldn't be any locks. Wait, is this in March?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Protocol7 posted:

What carries over in a New Game+? Everything? I want to max all my social links the second time around and get the true ending.

Money, Compendium, status levels (Expression, Knowledge, etc.), Social Link items (so you can still fuse the ultimate of any Arcana you maxed in NG), costumes, and the stock in Daidara's.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Really Pants posted:

Okay, I think I'm starting to get a handle on how to complete every link.

Jester, Temperance, Death, and Hanged Man all need to be stalked obsessively from the minute they show up, because they're just not available often enough to skip.
Aeon needs a few levels before she calls in December.
You have more than enough evenings to max Justice, Heirophant, Devil, and Tower twice over.
Trying to finish any school kids' links ASAP means wasted days, because you miss out on extra points from tests, lunches, and Sunday calls. Does chilling in the evening give as many points as sharing lunch?
Where are you supposed to get those stupid beetles for the last Hermit quest? Is that one time on the shopping channel seriously all there is?

Am I missing anything else?

Hanged Man is available 5 days a week, it shouldn't be too much trouble to max it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Really Pants posted:

You did it wrong.

Yeah, not really an acceptable compromise.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah, they added an extra event to the Fox link for some reason.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

W.T. Fits posted:

That thing where you have to come back one more time after turning in the last quest and need max Expression? That was in the original version, too.

I've beaten vanilla P4 four times and I really don't remember that. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Male MC route is pretty lame anyways. A lot of the Social Links are really bad.

• Locked thread