Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
There seems to be a big push in the news cycle to make Mike seem like a good potential host for real and it seems a little bit too contrived for me to think it's just happenstance.

Luckily the comments sections are very much pro-Ken.

I think Mike Richards is doing a good job but if you're going to pick a white dude to host Jeopardy permanently Ken should basically be the only option due to his history with the show. Not the most generic white man looking guy you took from a stock photo website and animated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Richards is doing a good job with the mechanics of the show, but he comes across slightly impersonal and slick. He gives off used car salesman vibes, in my opinion.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Goober Peas posted:

Richards is doing a good job with the mechanics of the show, but he comes across slightly impersonal and slick. He gives off used car salesman vibes, in my opinion.

:same:

My roommate said he's the white version of Jon Kelly (the host of Funny You Should Ask), and I can't say I disagree.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I think he's doing a fine job, but Ken's just got more personality.

Also, I really liked the Final Jeopardy clue last night, that was a clever little thought puzzle.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I was SO loving MAD that the clue about the horse and the dog wasn't Pavlov, because I thought I was clever for having thought of it :(

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Goober Peas posted:

That's a perfect way of describing him. He gives off that "over-rehearsed just a few too many times" vibe and makes me feel like he'd offer me the Rolex off his wrist if I would just sign here and initial there.

Though he does have a much more authoritative voice than Ken does. That's not Ken's fault at all, of course, it's just that he's always going to have that higher-pitched, slightly nasal timbre that makes him sound like the guy who got stuffed into his locker on the regular.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, the used salesman vibe is exactly right.

Someone else pointed out that he's exactly like any other game show host that's not Jeopardy, and I think that's accurate, too. J! isn't supposed to be just any other game show, and it needs a host that reflects that.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Also I saw someone who pointed out that Richards takes too long to read the answers to the clues, and it's so true. It makes a difference when you've got someone like Ken or Alex who didn't really need to read the answers for the majority of the questions.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Richards is perfectly fine as a placeholder. I agree with all the comments mentioned. He's too....polished. I don't think he's as good at the banter as either Ken or Alex.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
He has the perfect voice for an ad on the radio but my brain starts to slide away the longer I hear him talk. He's fine but I gotta really focus to by the end of Double Jeopardy to follow what he's saying. He's still better than no Jeopardy.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I noticed the same thing, I was missing more and more DJ clues because I was just starting to struggle to focus.

Also, I want to note I missed my first clue in the physics category ever because the clue was flat out loving incorrect :colbert:. I still stand by my "I'll wager every penny in that category regardless of the state of the game".

Related, was sad asian dude didn't win last night, despite his constant swaying. He had a hell of a comeback to go from way behind to in the lead going into final. I was rooting for him since he was introduced as an astrophysicist :smith:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Related, was sad asian dude didn't win last night, despite his constant swaying. He had a hell of a comeback to go from way behind to in the lead going into final. I was rooting for him since he was introduced as an astrophysicist :smith:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Did Mike forget to break during the first round tonight?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I noticed the same thing, I was missing more and more DJ clues because I was just starting to struggle to focus.

Also, I want to note I missed my first clue in the physics category ever because the clue was flat out loving incorrect :colbert:. I still stand by my "I'll wager every penny in that category regardless of the state of the game".

Wait, which one was wrong in the physics cat? I'm a dumbass at physics so I wouldn't have noticed.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

HookShot posted:

Wait, which one was wrong in the physics cat? I'm a dumbass at physics so I wouldn't have noticed.

The one about the definition of work. It is not always a change in KINETIC energy, it can also be a change in potential.

Work is more accurately (and more commonly) defined as a force applied over a distance, regardless of path, resulting in a net energy change to the system. There's a slight argument to be made that the work does result in motion so there is "instantaneous" kinetic energy that then converts to potential, but it's weak. If you look at that motion as a sequence of infinitesimal intervals there is no velocity and the energy is being instantly "absorbed" into some form of potential (e.g. pressing on a spring to compress it, lifting an object up against gravity, etc.). The object is also generally moving at a constant velocity if you look at the process as a unified whole, except at the very beginning and end, which further demonstrates the direct conversion from work to potential. That's not even getting into anything beyond basic classical physics, it gets even hazier in the realm of quantum or statistical mechanics.

I had work pop up in my brain, but then dismissed it with, "Well, that's usually more to do with potentials, so what else could it be..."

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Seemed odd that Final was a triple stumper. They pretty much hinted of a political change occuring in '93 in Africa that lopped off a coast. I thought that was a gimme since the only new countries that year ASAIK were Eritrea and Slovakia.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

BaronVonVaderham posted:

The one about the definition of work. It is not always a change in KINETIC energy, it can also be a change in potential.

Work is more accurately (and more commonly) defined as a force applied over a distance, regardless of path, resulting in a net energy change to the system. There's a slight argument to be made that the work does result in motion so there is "instantaneous" kinetic energy that then converts to potential, but it's weak. If you look at that motion as a sequence of infinitesimal intervals there is no velocity and the energy is being instantly "absorbed" into some form of potential (e.g. pressing on a spring to compress it, lifting an object up against gravity, etc.). The object is also generally moving at a constant velocity if you look at the process as a unified whole, except at the very beginning and end, which further demonstrates the direct conversion from work to potential. That's not even getting into anything beyond basic classical physics, it gets even hazier in the realm of quantum or statistical mechanics.

I had work pop up in my brain, but then dismissed it with, "Well, that's usually more to do with potentials, so what else could it be..."

This is really good to know, thanks!!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Iron Crowned posted:

Did Mike forget to break during the first round tonight?

Ha, I noticed that too. I was about to fast forward and he just kept going.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I got that one wrong, too. My guess was "flux".

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Island Nation posted:

Seemed odd that Final was a triple stumper. They pretty much hinted of a political change occuring in '93 in Africa that lopped off a coast. I thought that was a gimme since the only new countries that year ASAIK were Eritrea and Slovakia.
Wouldn't quite call it a gimme but yeah, that's one I would expect anyone who could run a week or so to get.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Wouldn't quite call it a gimme but yeah, that's one I would expect anyone who could run a week or so to get.

Yeah, the 1993 part gave it away for me, but I have been listening to quite a bit of BBC lately and they mentioned it a lot when Ethiopia was in the news for ethnic conflicts a couple months back.

Agreed with the overly slickness of Richards. His cadence is really throwing me off. He’s not bad, but he just seems wrong to me for Jeopardy for whatever reason.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

He seems very sincere and that goes a long way for me.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RC and Moon Pie posted:

One of the contestants had a story today that did not even feature her. It was about a friend of hers arm wrestling Alex on Jeopardy years ago. It was an awkward story.

we've gone a step beyond "good for you, jeopardy contestant" and into "good for your friend, jeopardy contestant!"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Poque posted:

Ha, I noticed that too. I was about to fast forward and he just kept going.

Yeah, the first break is when the contestants run the equivalent of 3 categories, and that was at the 3 and a half mark, which just threw me for a loop

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Second day in a row Final Jeopardy is a triple stumper.

This one was bad. I knew the answer from high school history and I went to a public, rural high school in Georgia.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
*Gordon Ramsay meme* Finally, some good loving betting in final.

I also knew it immediately and I’m Canadian.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I don't know anything about the actual incident but I know OF it and that was enough.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I got as far as "ABC Affair" haha

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I always think the XYZ affair is the same thing as the Zimmerman telegram.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Second day in a row Final Jeopardy is a triple stumper.

This one was bad. I knew the answer from high school history and I went to a public, rural high school in Georgia.

Neither should've been a triple stumper but I'd put this one as slightly harder.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

Neither should've been a triple stumper but I'd put this one as slightly harder.
A good contestant should get both of course but I'd expect that the average player would find yesterday's much harder just based on probably having vaguely heard of the XYZ Affair at least once in school while probably having zero knowledge of African geography or its modern history.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

I got this immediately because I did a group history project on John Adams back in middle school and learned about the XYZ Affair then.

Also, nice betting in Final.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
I got the final right away thanks to a joke in an old Dave Barry satire US history book I read a lot as a kid.

That book probably got more US history stuck in my head than school did. I will never forget the Smoot Hawley Tariff.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
I'm so relieved that the Avatar of Pretentiousness didn't win.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Jokymi posted:

I got the final right away thanks to a joke in an old Dave Barry satire US history book I read a lot as a kid.

That book probably got more US history stuck in my head than school did. I will never forget the Smoot Hawley Tariff.

I have that book (Dave Barry Slept Here) on my shelf, which is why I remember that tariff and that the Teapot Dome Scandal was named after a plot of land that was shaped like a scandal. Gonna have to crack it open and freshen up on XYZ!

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Dienes posted:

I'm so relieved that the Avatar of Pretentiousness didn't win.

I got the distinct impression that his accent was an affectation, it seemed to slip in and out. His anecdote being about a Beatles cover band didn't help , nor did his striking a pose for the entire time he was on screen and running the opera category.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I got the distinct impression that his accent was an affectation, it seemed to slip in and out. His anecdote being about a Beatles cover band didn't help , nor did his striking a pose for the entire time he was on screen and running the opera category.

It was absolutely a put-on, it was barely there in his first few responses and then he just cranked it up to 11 after the opening category trade-off between Toys & Games and Asian History that he did with Michael.

I remember thinking that his accent sounded like that of someone whose exposure to British accents came entirely from watching movies and TV, and then "oh, hey, a film studies teacher from Burbank, everything suddenly makes sense, now."

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

The XYZ Affair itself was one of the tamest scandals imaginable although it was vaguely relevant to the first impeachment of Trump.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The "Up" category was definitely a bullshit category

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Iron Crowned posted:

The "Up" category was definitely a bullshit category

That was pure bullshit, yeah.

I was also irrationally twitchy at Richards saying "and one dollars" at the end of the episode.