Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

It's test registration time again. My odd work hours have meant that I can't watch regularly these days (or sign up for the test for any night except the last one), but I happened to see a promo for it tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I'm not pleased with myself at all. I don't know how many I got tonight, but certainly not enough to make it.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

PowerBuilder3 posted:

Was that the only time in Jeopary history that one 1 question was answered wrong across all players and both boards.

I wish be bet it all so he would have lost by 1 dollar exactly after winning 2.4m.

There was a Tournament of Champions game eons ago where no one missed anything.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I think it's extremely funny that he lost the day he was set to eclipse Jennings's record, but also I hope that he plays in the 2019 Tournament of Champions and wins enough to knock that fraud Kravis out of the three-spot, and have the match between him, Brad, and Ken advertised as the meeting of the undisputed three greatest game show contestants in American history.

Brad made mincemeat out of Ken. I'd love to see him against James.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Keith Atherton posted:

Watching the first of the old Jeopardy episodes on Netflix and it’s jarring that the contestants are so demonstrative

I'd love for the Barbara Lowe episodes to surface. Besides being banned after winning on Jeopardy for lying about her background, she supposedly argued with Alex over an incorrect answer.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Soothing Vapors posted:

Noted tree hater Woody Guthrie

I yelled at my TV after no one got it.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Vulture Culture posted:

Whoa, I got that incredibly vague final immediately

I've been on a roll with final Jeopardy lately.

I knew the album was released in 1975 or 1976 and figured it couldn't be something obscure. Thought it was funny Eric bet the farm. He must have figured that as the old man of the group, he had an advantage.

Timby posted:

My guess was Shel Silverstein. Whiffed hard.

I read something somewhere not long ago that Sendak had intended to draw something else. He botched it badly and decided they'd instead become "things."

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Today's defending champ, Alex, played one the dumbest Double Jeopardy rounds I've ever seen. Grabbed defeat from the jaws of victory.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Vertical Lime posted:

today's show is brutal

FOG, YOU DUMBASSES. FOG.

I had to dig up the lowest ever score. Someone got -$6,800. Had Priscilla had a couple more minutes, I think she would have done it. Before getting the $1,200 clue, she was at -$6,600.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Andorra posted:

I'm amazed someone did worse than Wolf Blitzer

Oddly enough, Slate just did an interview with Stephanie Hull, the contestant who got -$6,800.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Duckman2008 posted:

It’s possible they missed it, and basically had to just roll with it.

Alex called it an interesting wager or something like that. I don't think he knew what specifically, but he knew that it referenced something.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

packetmantis posted:

Old Will Ferrell not very good at Jeopardy.

Dude went from potentially taking the lead on a Daily Double in Double Jeopardy to $200 in the hole. Probably within a minute.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Two categories in the first round reference David Bowie (Heroes and the one after that was a lyric from Heroes). I was expecting something about Bowie in the second round.

We got no Bowie.

I am disappointed.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Iola Boylen won tonight.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The sic semper tyrannis daily double was a beautiful sequence.

$2,000
(Omigod, I really said $2,000)
$2... (not $2,000, $2,000, what do I do, should I go with it, I'll go with it)
$2,000
this phrase by John Wilkes Booth
([Big grin] omg, I'm actually gonna pull this off!)
Sic semper tyrannis

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Nibir's been solid in the previous rounds, but he quietly just destroyed everybody today.

They're going to have to beat him by $21,500 tomorrow to win.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Spokes posted:

What a different world we'd be in today

Julia had the makings of a good champion herself. She started a bit slow, but played well in Double Jeopardy.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I didn't watch the GOAT episodes when they originally aired, so it actually worked out as a nice treat the last two weeks.

I took special joy when I got things right that they missed. Can't believe that James didn't get Iago in the last Final Jeopardy.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I've never seen so many low dollar amount questions missed as I saw tonight.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Last night was a lesson to listen to my instincts. I answered Morrison first, then changed to Angelou at the last second as the song wrapped up.

I couldn't think of Morrison's name. I could name her books and finally could remember Toni, but the last name escaped me. It helped to remember that when Oprah's show was on, she absolutely adored Morrison.

My local CBS affiliate shows an episode on Saturdays. They've been from 2018ish lately.I remember the champion but none of the details of the shows, so that's worked.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

quote:

Wed., July 29 Jeff Probst, Charles Barkley, Martha Stewart

That's ... that's a combination.

I have a memory of Jason Alexander doing well in (a dumbed down) nuclear physics category on Celebrity Jeopardy. What they need to do, though, is replay the Wolf Blitzer appearance.

Highlights

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Tokelau All Star posted:

Is this playing at 1.25x speed?

I think so. Everyone sounded like they were on cocaine. Plus, they didn't even come close the clearing either board, which seems to indicate the game was a lot slower when it originally aired.

The biggest change for me was how vague many of the clues were.

It's going to be fun watching the changes in the classic episodes. My parents were glued to Jeopardy each and every night by 1988 and I can recall some of the stuff changing, but not when. The categories weren't a secret each round for probably the first decade when they upgraded the effects.

Of course there is a Jeopardy history wiki

RC and Moon Pie fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jul 21, 2020

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

My cable crapped out just before the final, so I didn't get to see the reaction. Greg had a big lead, so what was he thinking? Alex called him chicken in the first episode. Did he take it to heart?

Other things I noticed:
- The podium lights didn't always work when a contestant rang in.
- Two players rang in at the same time and Alex wasn't really sure what to do.
- The answers are more specific here than in the first game.

Clues are so much easier. The Oregon Trail clue was the last one in the category and actually had Oregon in the answer. They missed one about the Olympics that had Mount Olympus in the answer. They're not exactly acing these easy clues. I'm looking at J! Archive and it looks like the difficulty was ramped up for the second season.

I hope they upload more vault stuff to YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uIk75MBT-4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbEy3PHlTdg

Bonus: Someone's uploaded this 1974 Art Fleming episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIIWX0m3I-w

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The Forrest Bounce was revolutionary, but isn't wild now. Forrest would jump between categories, but he was doing so in order. He wasn't starting in the middle of the category, but rather where it had been left off.

This did feel like Jeopardy, though. Much different than those first two games.

Spangenberg is on tomorrow. I want to think that I remember his original run.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Hed posted:

I had forgotten how much I missed that!

I also liked the opening music better from that era. It sounded more authoritative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6rHqrLA7aw

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Million Dollar Masters has been a load of fun. A great crop of contestants and a bunch of pop culture I had completely forgotten about.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Leslie's bid got Brad into the finals. Bob screwing up a Daily Double, then another miss allowed Brad to win it all.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

you broke my grill posted:

it's wrong if the spelling changes the pronunciation and the subreddit is arguing over whether Berry and Barry are pronounced the same

I was a bit surprised at the ruling. I pronounce them differently, but remember those dialect quizzes had a question about marry and merry.

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

It's too bad Betsy won't be returning, she was fun to watch and clearly having a great time.

I thought she trying too hard to be cute and quirky. But I am an rear end in a top hat and likely in the minority opinion.

I did enjoy Ken Jennings presenting that category. He was trying to project a Jeopardian tone and it worked.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Poque posted:

If you didn't like the contestant from yesterday you might want to skip today's episode

I cheered when she missed the final question and went into the red.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

On the flip side, tonight's Final was so easy I threatened to flog whoever missed it.

(I'm gonna be flogging two of them.)

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

It's funny what pop culture can lead you to a Final Jeopardy answer.

Last year, I was able to get one from remembering the lyrics from The Friends of Mr. Cairo.

This nickname for a history-changing weapon of 1945 came from a character in “The Maltese Falcon”.

Fat Man.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Looks like they're encouraging contestants to list their original hometowns to try to not make it so obvious everyone lives in California.

Alex bragged before tonight's game began that play was feeling more Jeopardy-like. I love you Alex, but you bragged a little early on this one.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

That was the Thursday final here.

With cannonballs, I think of explosions. Oppositional defiant came to mind, but I knew that couldn't be the answer.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Mexican-American War wasn't even the stupidest response on the question about Florida.

Spanish-American War was guessed immediately after

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Tonight's actually felt like a Jeopardy episode.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

That (and last week's Freddie Mercury imo) were both clues that you wouldn't bat an eye at if they were on the $200 line.

Even Alex mocked the easiness of the Freddie Mercury clue.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Jeopardy has always been a constant in life.

My Mom can't remember when she and Dad began tuning into the Trebek version, but probably from the start as she had been a fan of the Fleming show. It was a nightly ritual at 7:30. On the rare occasion we were driving elsewhere, we'd listen in the car as Channel 6's frequency equated to 87.7 on your FM dial.

No matter what changes there are in what you did or where you went. You might not eat the dinner table, but you better be in the room for family Jeopardy competition.

He really was another family member to me and apparently everyone. The CBS NFL halftime show just had a tribute a couple of minutes ago.

I got interested in trivia because I wanted to go on Jeopardy, rep my rural hometown and meet Trebek. I'm still quite proud of sweeping a Shakepeare category once in family competition because I had spent free moments at work reading Wikipedia.

I'll never get to meet Alex, but I saw so much of him, I want to think I kind of did.

Cheers to the ultimate arbiter of facts, a man bold enough to chase after a robber in his boxers (and tear his Achilles) and who accidentally once got blitzed out of his mind on pot brownies at a party.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

20/20 has a Trebek episode airing now.

They've already been showing photos of a young, sex-ay Trebek.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

You've probably read most, if not all of the stories before, but it's still hilarious to hear. Alex Trebek talks with Howard Stern about drugs.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

zakharov posted:

This is the opening that will air with tonight's episode.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Yp_YM4sPAgeszYRkvitSZthB5ClWlJ7v/view

Tears warning if you took this as hard as I did.

For whatever reason, that part did not air on my CBS affiliate. I figured there was a tribute as it's not the first time Jeopardy has had a little addendum to a show that didn't air locally.

I did march down to the library today to check out his memoir. I'm currently through the sitting on a pony story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Poque posted:

Getting paid $4M a year to get the world's best calves, hot dresses and a lifetime supply of age-sustaining orga-lixir seems like a good gig

Vanna's not even doing as much as she did. She only has to touch the letters now instead of physically turn the tiles. But she does have to put up with Pat's lame jokes, which should be worth at least a couple million more.