Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

CPColin posted:

I should have figured it out from my extensive This Old House watching, but no

I got it instantly purely based on this - a 20 minute long segment showing them mining & cutting marble counters in Carrara, I think from the most recent season / the one before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

BaronVonVaderham posted:

You're correct except for the amount of money involved. This has cost contestants MILLIONS over the years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik9YyCtbMX0

Wow, the 2nd guy pronounced it weirdly too tbh.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Host aside, that was a great contest, and the winner seems like a character. Reminds somehow of a Start Trek actor, though not sure if it’s Brent Spiner or Dr Phlox.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
I liked Rodgers, he’s likeable.

He is clearly trying to pronounce stuff more clearly than he does in regular life.

At least he didn’t swear this time, and have it left in the broadcast cause he mumbles so much.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I just want to see him guest host.

Also LOL at making the difference between “stalactite” and “stalagmite” a $1000 clue. Beautiful trap.

Didn’t the first guy to answer say Stalactite though?

The 2nd person said stalagmite.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Island Nation posted:

Great timing on my post attempting to justify the usage only to have it revealed as intentional racism.

What has been revealed as intentional racism, and how?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

The original cut would have been a prestige roadshow release with an intermission break for concessions and merchandise sales, so it wouldn't have been that bad.

Better than going to church.

Yeah, I from the post responded to it sounded like something real was actually known.

a) He didn’t even make the OK hand signal
b) The whole white power link was invented as a joke, isn’t real, and that gesture is widely used the world over every day. Pull yourself together American media.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

christmas boots posted:

That's not to say that everyone flashing the OK symbol is making a white power sign--that would be a profoundly stupid reaction and the very one the trolling was meant to cause in the first place--

You were so close.
This is exactly what this thread, snd apparently the jeopardy board are doing.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

zakharov posted:

I wonder how much you have to grow up with Jeopardy to be comfortable with the concept. It moves a LOT faster than most trivia contests, and obviously the questions are pretty America-centric.

The show concept and pace is fine, though it does seem far too dependent on buzzer timing vs anything else, at least in regular Jeopardy.

The US centric slant of the questions is there for sure, not really a problem in regular jeopardy, but seems turned up to 11 in the tournament of champions to me.

For one, knowing the names of the wives of various historic political figures seems to be a thing in the US that just isn’t in the UK at all.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Groovelord Neato posted:

And the wordplay ones have got to be killer if you aren't an American.

Only from an occasionally odd pronunciation point of view - the wordplay works fine in Britain I think.

There is some other oddness, though I think it’s just bad questions. The contestant in correctly answering a ‘homophones’ questions the other day knew perfectly well that content and content are not homophones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

christmas boots posted:

He’s an absolute madman and I can’t get enough

One day I hope for a contest who phrases everything as a “when” question

Can it be any question?

Which ____?
Why _____?
Is it ____?