Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

ClumsyThief posted:

Not sure how many people here have or are pursuing AWS certs but I just pass the SysOps Admin Associate and that test is not a joke. Failed my first attempt and passed my second about an hour ago.

Admittedly I came at it from almost zero, having only done the entry level CCP cert and with no professional AWS experience but it's an exam that you can't really fake via brain dumps and such. You either understand the main services and how they all interact or you don't.

Taking a week off now but that leaves me with just the CCNA left for certs at WGU and per this thread and other places I think I'll be working through Lammle's books for it.

Plugging Neil Anderson's Udemy class ($12)and the BOSON practice tests ($90?) for CCNA. I passed it in about 2.5 months with little background knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Boson tests for CCNA are clutch. If it's the same as when I was in WGU then they are included with the course.

ClumsyThief
Sep 11, 2001

Sacrist65 posted:

Plugging Neil Anderson's Udemy class ($12)and the BOSON practice tests ($90?) for CCNA. I passed it in about 2.5 months with little background knowledge.

FCKGW posted:

Boson tests for CCNA are clutch. If it's the same as when I was in WGU then they are included with the course.

Cheers. I'll register a Cisco account later to open up the course and see if WGU supplies Boson, or I'll end up buying them.

I just ordered Lammle's 2-volume book set. I might do the Neil Anderson course, but supposedly students are getting free Udemy access soon so no reason to rush that. I struggle a little with the video courses anyways so if the book does the job I'll probably try to stick with it.

KFJ
Nov 7, 2009

So I just graduated from IT School here in Iceland and have a shiny diploma in my inbox - I got really decent grades and I'm mostly happy with what I learned, which was a ton of Active Directory and WS2019 stuff, essentially, which is what most Icelandic companies ask for anyway. One of my classmates already got a technician job at a fairly major IT Firm here which tends to lead to a full-on IT job in a year or two at the same company.

My one gripe with the diploma is that it was all built around the fairly ubiquitous MCSA certification, and now that's gone - My teacher was never able to give me a proper answer as to what certs we should try to acquire after graduation - Should I just get Comptia A+ certified and try to get some technician's gig like my coworker, or would it be a better idea to do MS-100 and MS-101 to become a Microsoft 365 Certified: Enterprise Administrator Expert? I'm really open to any and all suggestions because the teacher for my course basically disappeared five months ago and all we had to go on were some assignments and quizzes.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Pick a cloud platform, do the entry level certs for that and work out what you enjoy imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeoh
Jul 20, 2010

Microsoft has pretty decent certification paths if you're unsure which way to go: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/learn/certifications/