Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

tiistai posted:

Sounds to me like something a crowd (or cheerleaders) would clap in a sports event or something.
It's not a beat I'm familiar with. But then, maybe I don't know chants for Japanese sporting events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

of bees posted:

Well, if anyone from this group makes it off the island, they can go back to the school and rescue Alter Ego!

I don't believe any kind of timeline has been established at this point.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Anatharon posted:

I don't believe any kind of timeline has been established at this point.

It's definitely been established that this is all taking place after the first game, not before or during.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Penakoto posted:

It's definitely been established that this is all taking place after the first game, not before or during.

How do you figure?

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

alcharagia posted:

How do you figure?

Several lines, mostly from Monobear or regarding that computer like, 2 or 3 updates ago. We've had this discussion before about the time line too.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

alcharagia posted:

How do you figure?

The text file on that laptop seemed to refer to the events of DR1, plus Monobear has made a few comments that imply he remembers the first game. There may be one or two other things I'm forgetting, too. Ultimately, though, the first thing could be misdirection and the second simply a bit of metahumor, so I don't know that we can say for certain one way or the other just yet.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

I think it's a pretty safe bet, there's no evidence at all SDR2 is a prequel or takes place at the same time, or is anything but a sequel.

We don't know 100% it's a sequel, but so far it's the most likely setting.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Wouldn't the presence of Togami rule out a prequel?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Wouldn't the presence of Togami rule out a prequel?

Yeah. If it's Togami. I'm not convinced it was. Why didn't he mention that he'd been through Monobear's poo poo before if he was?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Penakoto posted:

Several lines, mostly from Monobear or regarding that computer like, 2 or 3 updates ago. We've had this discussion before about the time line too.
Not to mention Monobear's "What, again?" line regarding serial killers during the trial.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

JT Jag posted:

Not to mention Monobear's "Another one?" line regarding serial killers during the trial.

That's one of the lines I meant.

Regarding that line specifically, even if it's nothing but a joke, it'd be pretty dumb to make that joke if this was anything but a sequel.

It wouldn't be cleverly misleading, it'd just be confusing and detrimental to the story.

Penakoto fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 17, 2013

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
The other possibility is that they're both happening at the same time (DR1 is on the inside of the school we saw on the second island and we're on the outside). Understanding what's happening with DR1 doesn't mean we're in the far future.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Suspicious Dish posted:

The other possibility is that they're both happening at the same time (DR1 is on the inside of the school we saw on the second island and we're on the outside). Understanding what's happening with DR1 doesn't mean we're in the far future.

There's no evidence to suggest this though, you might as well say "the other possibility is this takes place in an alternate dimension..." or "the other possibility is this is all just a dream..."

Also, nobody is saying "far future" could be a few weeks, could be a few months, all I'm suggesting is this is a sequel, how much of a sequel it is can't be determined yet with what we know.

Oliver Crowley
Apr 28, 2013

Consult your pineal gland, schmuck.

JT Jag posted:

It's not a beat I'm familiar with. But then, maybe I don't know chants for Japanese sporting events.

If you vocalize it to yourself (ie "dundundun dundundun dundundundundundundun") it makes a lot more sense in context as just an over-the-top knock to exemplify her enthusiasm.

Psychodrama
May 29, 2013
RE: the talk of AE making an appearance

Naegi at the end of DR1 Chapter 5 posted:

Alter Ego saved my life.

He spared what little strength he had left and saved my life...

Putting aside question of how Naegi would know that, the game made it seem like what was left of AE pretty much expired in the system after he used his effort to stop the execution. Just wanted to bring up the line for a refresher; I may be interpreting it wrongly. I also think our survivors had reason to believe there was nothing left of AE at the game's end, or they would've checked for him before leaving.

VanSandman posted:

Yeah. If it's Togami. I'm not convinced it was. Why didn't he mention that he'd been through Monobear's poo poo before if he was?

He's hinting pretty hard at it during this bit in chapter 1 (also another tick in favor of this being a sequel rather than prequel or concurrence):

orenronen posted:

There are things in my past I can't tell anyone about... They are the reason I became so prone to suspicion.

A secret past...? Togami...?

There were people I couldn’t trust... and people who couldn’t trust me. My life was like a nightmare...
It is only natural my personality would be affected.

Seems like he's talking about his experience of being locked up with others in the first game, and that this conversation was meant to solidify the belief that he's the same Togami. He did imply he wanted to talk about it eventually, and that he'd actually have no choice but to do so if their island life remained peaceful. Why peace would be the condition to necessitate him "having no choice but to tell", I don't know.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Oliver Crowley posted:

If you vocalize it to yourself (ie "dundundun dundundun dundundundundundundun") it makes a lot more sense in context as just an over-the-top knock to exemplify her enthusiasm.

Now you've got me hearing it as Mandark's laugh from Dexter's Lab.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

NeuroticLich posted:

Hinata feeling like he's being watched could just be a hint to the events being broadcast to the world like the first game.

Or possibly because he is being watched. By thousands of video cameras all over the island, often attached to guns or more exotic death-machines.

Oliver Crowley
Apr 28, 2013

Consult your pineal gland, schmuck.

The Lord of Hats posted:

Now you've got me hearing it as Mandark's laugh from Dexter's Lab.

It is the same and I hadn't realized it.
Now I can't not hear it, so thanks.

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!
Holy poo poo, Kuzuryuu. His introduction felt so out of the ordinary that I thought Monobear turned him into a robot or something, then he goes off and gets himself hospitalized again. :ohdear:

Color Printer posted:

I can't wait for the broken lock to come back to haunt Hinata 2 or 3 chapters on down the line.
Well, Hinata, Ibuki and Nidai are the only ones who know about the broken lock, it feels like the sort of thing that might come back up in a trial (think DR 1-1). :tinfoil:

maketakunai fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Nov 18, 2013

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Beautiful Days [Piano Arrange]

Today we're hanging out with the jocks!

Fuyuhiko Kuzuryuu... An admirable man, indeed...

Still, I cannot approve of him affiliating himself with organized crime... It’s a poor way to amount to anything.

What should I do? Should I spend time with Nidai?

Spend time / Go somewhere else

I can't help but wonder... What would Pekoyama say, if she could see him now...?

I spent some melancholic time with Nidai.

I think we became a little closer...

Should I give him a present?

Give / Do not give

The Oogami Family Scroll: A scroll listing the 708 meridian pathways in the human body. Whoever learns them all can become an ultimate masseur.

Muoooooo!? T...That's...!

How did you get a hold of this...? No, now's not the time for questions!

You... have my heartfelt thanks! I will never forget this, my friend!

Hey, Nidai.
There's something I've been wondering ever since I first met you.

Mu? You care so much about me?!
I see. I have no choice, then. Right! Come here, now!
Um, I think you've got the wrong idea--
--Wait! Why are you approaching me? Didn't you just tell me to come to you?!

Hmph... And here I was all raring to go...

W...What?

I... I’m not sure I even want to know what he thought I meant...

Oh, well. So, what did you actually want?
Um... What I wanted to ask is why you're just a coach, Nidai.

"JUST" A COACH?!
ARE YOU MAKING A MOCKERY OF THE COACHING INSTITUTION?!
N...Not at all, that's not what I was trying to say...

Hinata, you understand nothing. All roads pass through coaches.
If you want to truly excel at something, you need a coach. It goes without saying.

None of the world records we have today would exist without coaches!
Top athletes and their coaches have an close-knit, stinky relationship!
I guess... Wait, “stinky”...?

I’ve trained several people over the years...
...And they were all spectacular athletes. Every last one of them.
A baseball player who got an offer from a major league team while still in junior high...
A figure skater who could spin six and a half times...
Then there was the tennis player who won a match that lasted 36 hours...

...All men who went through my coaching.

These people sound unreal...

You see? Coaches are not people to be ridiculed.
Respect me as a coach... and I can help you win any match! At any sport!

I'm far from being an athletic guy, and yet he said that like he really believes it...

And after all those other things he’s done... I think I could believe it myself.

Wow... I think I get how proud he is of his position now.

Mu? Did you just praise me just now, deep inside your heart?
What? How did you know?!

From the moment we met, we've been one in body and spirit, you and I.

I CAN ALWAYS TELL WHAT YOU’RE THINKING!

One in body and spirit...? I don't like the sound of that!

No need to be shy! I am used to being eulogised!
Matches have been fought for the privilege of training under me!

Sure, he can be a little extreme, but it's undeniable he's an amazing man.

I think I understand him just a little better now.

Hope Shard Acquired

Nidai made me listen to some more of his heroic episodes before I returned to my cottage...

It's still light outside. Plenty of time left in the day...

I can't stay in my room all day. I should go do something.

Go away. I don't have time for you right now.

What should I do? Should I spend time with Owari anyway?

Spend time / Go somewhere else

Didn't I just tell you to go away? I have things to do...!

I spent time watching Owari do some extreme training.

I think we got a little closer...

Should I give her a present?

Give / Do not give

Pack of Barley Rice: Rice mixed with barley. Nutritious and full of fiber. Goes well with beef tongue.

Wow! That’s amazing!!

I feel a little guilty for getting this for free!
Thanks!

Hey, by the way...
Hm? What is it?

What was your name again?
I...It's Hinata! Hajime Hinata!

Oh, right, right! I had a feeling it was something like that.
Sorry, sorry. I always forget names.
I think it’ll get easier if you keep feeding me, though.
What are you, a pet...? Anyway, did you really forget?

Not really a big deal, right? Well, see 'ya!
Hey, wait a second! We just started talking!

Sorry. Not interested in guys with low fighting skills.
I mean, you're a 2 at most. No way someone who's worse than trash can make a good opponent, right?

What scale is that number even based on...?

Why are you so into fighting, anyway? It has nothing to do with gymnastics...

Gymnastics? ...Why would I care about that?
Why...? You're a "Super High-school Level Gymnast", aren't you?

Oh, right, that.
Yeah, breaking a few competitive records is a nice easy way to make some money!
Money...? Is that the only reason you're doing it?!

Is something wrong with that?
There was this persistent old man, right? He kept bugging me so I started doing it.
I've been running and jumping ever since I was a little kid, y’see.

Y'know, like that thing... What's it called?
That messy thing... where you just keep running past and over stuff...

Is she talking about that sport I've heard of?

The one where you run past obstacles and buildings...

Street fighting / Parkour / Obstacle race

Is it... street fighting?

Oh, that one's really profitable!
But lately, there's been less and less people for me to fight... Where’d they all go?

I... I was joking.

Something like... an obstacle race? You know, like in school sports festivals?
Isn't that the thing where you get to eat bread and stuff?

You do, but I think I've got that wrong.

Oh, I think I know what you're talking about... It's called Parkour, isn't it?
Yeah, yeah, that thing! That old man told me all about it.
Not that it really matters what it's called.
When you're running away trying to lose whoever's chasing you, it's pretty much the same thing.
You should try chasing me one of these days. You'll never catch me!

What did she get herself involved in that required a parkour-like chase in the middle of the city...?

Owari's kind of a mess... but I'm a little jealous of her cheerfulness.

Hope Shard Acquired

Following some more awkward conversation with Owari, I returned to my cottage.

Music fades out

It's already dark outside... Evening already. I feel like this day went by in no time.

I feel like the days have been unusually short ever since we got here...

* ding dong *

...The door bell?
That’s odd...

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
I wonder if the baseball player Nidai mentioned was Leon. But then again, Leon skipped practice, so maybe not.

It would be wonderful if it turned out that Nidai did train Leon at some point though. :allears: My favorite (for now) DR guys, hanging out together.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Oh dear. It seems more and more likely Owari comes from a really terrible background. :smith:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
It's totally Komaeda at the door.

Nidai is a pretty rad dude and I hope to hang with him more in the future. Not at the expense of hanging with Komaeda but he will be a perfectly acceptable substitute.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Folt The Bolt posted:

I wonder if the baseball player Nidai mentioned was Leon. But then again, Leon skipped practice, so maybe not.

It would be wonderful if it turned out that Nidai did train Leon at some point though. :allears: My favorite (for now) DR guys, hanging out together.

I can just imagine Leon skipping practice again to goof off on his computer -- only to hear his apartment door crash open and Nidai come thundering in.

HELLO LEON! HOW IS YOUR BASEBALL PRACTIIIIIIICE?

With one swing of a metal bat, Nidai reduces Leon's computer to a sparking heap of broken glass and plastic.

IS THAT A BASEBALLLLLLL? IT DOES NOT LOOK LIKE ONE

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Oren I have a series of questions about Oogami. Someone in this thread mentioned Lone Wolf and Cub (thank you, I've been reading that) and since it's semi-historical it seems like Oogami was a famous house in feudal Japan that was abolished. Was Oogami from the last game supposed to be a descendant of that house (what with her talking like a samurai in grammar?) and is this gift you gave the coach, the Oogami scroll, related to that historical family or the character from the previous game (if they're none-related)?

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

orenronen posted:

...The door bell?
That’s odd...

I'll say. Why bother with the bell when you can just waltz right in?

There's something hilarious about Akane telling Hinata to go away and generally implying she's not available for Free-Time, only to hang out without a care in the world. It's just like her to do that, too.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Well that was nice. I'll be interested to see how Nidai and Owari continue to develop if we get to spend more time with them.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Seeing that Nidai is excited to get the Oogami scroll, I wonder if he has any ties to Sakura's family.

He also seems pretty torn up about Peko, too. He seems to be taking it as hard as Kuzuryuu. :smith:

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
Speaking of pets, how is the little virtual pet doing?

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

And here I thought Hinata would ask if Nidai was really a high schooler.

I want to hear more about Owari's past now. She's looking much more interesting.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Spatula City posted:

Oh dear. It seems more and more likely Owari comes from a really terrible background. :smith:

Yeah, between her comments about street fighting, and her talk about "losing whoever's chasing you", it sounds like she probably had it pretty rough growing up.

I'm curious to see what her other Free Time events have in store.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

orenronen posted:

I can't help but wonder... What would Pekoyama say, if she could see him now...?

I'm gonna note again how much I really like that people seem to mourn their classmates this time around. It makes them feel like a group of friends that's being torn apart, rather than a bunch of strangers forced into close proximity like the first game.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
I agree; Ishimaru and Aoi and mostly Naegi were the only ones who *really* mourned the loss of life (though not helping was that among the 6 survivors, one was a detective too busy to care and a psycho...) and even there Aoi and Ishimaru were distraught by losing their best friends; here there's more of a conscious effort to show people giving a drat about any loss of life.

I can't wait to see who's at the door, but I also keep drifting back, thinking about how Hinata's lock was broken. Was Ibuki responsible? Was someone else trying to break in for other reasons? If another character's lock was broken, that'd be practically a set up that they're gonna get killed, but here, the main protagonist is at a huge risk, and it's all underplayed. Bravo, DR2. ..I hope something actually comes of it, or I'm gonna look really stupid (again) singing the praises of it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Has Akane even had goo parkour terrain, up until now? Low flat buildings and single super-tall ones aren't really conducive to the art.

Flight of Fancy
Sep 8, 2012
That's just too perfect.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Flight of Fancy posted:

That's just too perfect.

Why? :confused:

E: VVVVVVV: I don't get it

Austrian mook fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Nov 23, 2013

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I assume he's talking about the background.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Austrian mook posted:

-ITTY -PHOON*

It's literally a glowing neon sign, come on my dude.

edit: I got ya. vvv

HoneyBoy fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Nov 23, 2013

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Please choose your words carefully if you're going to answer this question. We don't want to upset slowbeef after this thread has been on good behaviour for quite a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Austrian mook posted:

Akane has very large breasts. Her scene took place in front of the bar named 'Titty Typhoon'. Forums user Flight of Fancy found this coincidence humorous and pointed it out.

• Locked thread