Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Zhauth posted:

SCOOBY GANG ASSEMBLE!

This episode:
Heart-Thumping Field Trip BIG PANIC!
Guest Starring:
Francis York Morgan
and
Gordon Ramsay with Dwarfism!

Please forgive my Super Elementary School Level art.

Now I'm hoping for more fanart like these describing the 'real' events of DR2.

edit: sort of like Slowbeef's Alternative updates for DR1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Three updates in and I think this thread has the most probated users of any LP thread already.

I know we're excited that Dangan Ronpa 2 is finally being LP'd and updated but it would be nice if we moved a lot of the basic (re:useless) discussion to an IRC chat.

As slowbeef has pointed out already, it's not going to be fun to have to skim through 10 pages a day.

On topic: Regarding Nagito, I think there was another game that I've played that used similar characters from one game to another but they were total red herrings in a way.

Actually, last game that sort of did something like this was Virtue's Last Reward, and it was a crazy ride.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Meis posted:

Yeah pretty much as soon as I figured out what her SHSL ability is, I figured she's kind of there only to make the player love her. Seeing as the player will be all "oh my god she's a gamer! So am I!!! What a coincidence! I sure can identify with this chick! :syoon:"

That said, it's nice she's not super obnoxious or anything. I really love the characters introduced so far. Especially that animal breeder, I don't need to say why.

She's going to die first, for ultimate despair.

I mean, in the first game, we had the childhood friend, and that was basically a classic anime staple that the main character gets with their childhood friend.

I hope she has a free time event where she reads your psp's memory card and go 'Oh, I love Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops Plus!'

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

So, we've got what, 3 introductions left?

I can't believe the best one is for last: Fatgami. (also I really just want to compare his official artwork to the DR1 one)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

SirKibbles posted:

Don't go on tumblr at all ,people do not tag their poo poo and whelp at least I know who the mastermind is :argh:

This is why it was said over and over (in both threads) that you really should not go out and look for fanart, or any outside information regarding this game. orenronen does a great job of keeping it an isolated environment, and it'd be best to respect that. (hence all the approved fanart rules).

I held off the urge for all of DR1 and will for all of DR2 and it was all worth it.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Helping keep the Togami and Gundam lead. I think we're all eager to hear Togami give some clues if he's the same or not.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

prahanormal posted:

We've also had what, 10+ probations come out of this thread already. It's what happens when you get a huge influx of people joining for one thread.

Granted, I can see why it's happening. The first game was really shining gem in a genre that doesn't get a lot of popularity outside of Japan. This one appears to be more of the same.

It is also the only place you can see a playthrough of it in english in full and not just a summary. The first one really drew in a lot of people near the end, and now we've got that audience and it keeps growing as more and more people talk about DR1 and DR2.

It's not hard to see why the mods are really cracking down on worthless posts. This thread is getting too huge without them.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

a spooky ghost posted:

It makes me wonder if there is a more elegant solution to voting, as we're going to add like ten pages of essentially nothing every time there's something to vote on.

I think we do have a solution. We had a character popularity vote near the end of DR1 and it was on an external website. It would cut down a good chunk, especially if we're going to generate 5 pages of voting every time we have an update that has a vote.

Actually, I'm surprised we didn't use that again, but this is the first vote for DR2 and hopefully this prompts using that website again.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

You know what has to be bad for people that get spoiled? Let's say you get spoiled on the first murder.

Now you have to wait for the thread to catch up to that before it even moves on with the rest of the story (and thus new content/plot unfolding for you to see). The temptation is probably stronger for you to go right out and spoil the rest of the game for yourself.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Wait so, we get one of the bigger cliffhangers since the thread started and we've got another paywall up? This is schadenfreude on the highest level now.

That's a pretty cool promotion though. 5 more sales to support Spike and hopefully less bitching, but the bitching tends to come from people who expect everything to be free anyway.

So are we just going to be wary of people with 2/18 (and maybe 19/20) regdates? I know we got a huge haul of people with the same reg date during one of the last paywalls.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I'd just like to say that this lp and thread has some of the most skirting the spoilers lines I have ever seen for any lp. It must be a big pain for the lpers and the mods.

And tumblr and the like don't help either. I'm glad I don't use them and I appreciate my luck in staying so spoiler free and hopefully spoiler free to the end.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

sudonim posted:

^^^^ Instead of a box Kamishiro hides in a giant melonpan.

Yeah, if SDR2 turns out to be a prequel, I'm going to be kind of dissapointed. Part of the fun in this for me is wondering how in hell SHSL Despair put this island business together after DR1, and why they did it.

...assuming SHSL Despair is involved at all! We know jack right now.

If SDR2 is a prequel it raises even more questions, especially concerning Togami. He died in this game, so you can't say he slimmed down for DR1 and he certainly wasn't as careful in DR1 as he was in SDR2.
Which means an imposter or copycat of sorts, but the question is.... Why?

As for Japanese facts, the number 4 is commonly associated with death. Many hospitals tend not to have a 4th floor at all.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

doomfunk posted:

I really hope something like this comes to light during the trial's comic assembly phase:

The joke came to me while I was wrapping up a couple of things for my finals and I had to spend a few minutes sketching it out.

This is awesome. You're awesome.

'Togami! You set off the laser detector with your fat gut! The mission has been compromised!'

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Slowbeef, that first post was incredibly long. I dunno, maybe future updates could be trimmed down (if the tumblr guys do huge updates, then take one of theirs and split it down)

But you know what? Hell I appreciate this as a way to kill the downtime between cliffhangers. It should result in less 'what if she is taking an anime dump' posts and we can just discuss mocking this LP or hell, solve its 'mysteries'

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Gensuki posted:

These are really cool. Could you go over some of the other portraits as well?

Unironically awaiting the Fatgami and regular Togami ones in this case.
:allears:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Can I say that anatomy chat is one of the best semi-off topics we've had in here? This is the kind of stuff that's really good to see in between updates.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Jeek posted:

Like this?

Thanks a lot for the red lines. This is the least I can do for you. :blush:

This is perfect. I have a crippling disorder that makes me think everyone looks like their avatar in real life.

Every time I think of orenronen, I imagine Monobear sitting at the desk, typing on the keyboard to translate a game starring himself.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

That was more of a brutal execution than anything in the last game, holy poo poo.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

slowbeef posted:

That was pretty good, but I'd still give Leon getting baseballed to death my top pick.

When the execution started, I thought Monobear really was just going to shoot missiles at first, but egg-and-breadcrumb based ordinance was a nice touch.

Also Nagito is really bad at inspiring hope in people.

You know, considering that a lot of people would consider Leon to be one of the most brutal from the first game, I kind of fear that it'll only go downhill from here.

I mean the rest would still be brutal, you know just... a shade less than getting hosed fried to death in a volcano. I also imagine that spending quite some time getting hung from upside down from a heli probably disoriented Hanamura even more (after the egg/flour daze)

Fine. I admit Leon is better but only if we assume Leon is fully conscious until his death and that Hanamura wasn't completely mentally aware besides the feeling of hot lava on his skin.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

This thread produces the best fan art, holy poo poo.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

As if they couldn't just tack on her backstory right before she's executed, or right after she's murdered.

We did get basically all of the Chef's backstory right before he got off'd for maximum impact.

Actually I wonder what his free time events would have been like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Son Conan posted:

Oh man, I think I just spent five minutes laughing from this image alone.

Souda finds himself in a Junji Ito manga.

• Locked thread