Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.
Oh boy, here we go! Even though I started reading the first LP pretty early, it still doesn't compare to reading it from the very beginning. Doesn't compare to its despair, I mean.

Good job with the thread's format, it feels like it has everything you could ask for, even the voices. And those gifs are pretty cool, too: I did think that it's my monitor / internet connection acting up.

Waiting warmly for the character introductions. By the way, the scarf dude is the only one who didn't say a single word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

suuchan posted:

Might wanna edit out that name there. Not sure how far the no spoilers policy goes, but you can never be too sure.
He just got the name from the image's title, though.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

njsykora posted:

Well it didn't take very long for speculation to start running wild in here.
What else are we supposed to do? Twiddle our thumbs and patiently wait for the next update?

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

So has everyone else decided who they want to live and die based on the tiny amount we've seen so far? I'm rooting for backpack girl personally.
One thing for sure: the chef's death will lead to Fatgami's ultimate despair.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

orenronen posted:

...Oy. How about you at least come into the room?
Eh? Oh, excuse me!

...Why am I suddenly speaking politely?
They may all be "Super High-school Level", but they're also my classmates...

That's right... First impressions are essential! I must act dignified!

And so, as I tried my best to hide my nervous state behind a blank expression...

...I closed the door behind me, and took an empty seat in the classroom's back row.

orenronen posted:

Right after we came here, I felt an urge and figured I’d go use the crapper...

But that door wouldn't budge an inch!
...Wait, what? Was Fatgami the only one who noticed an open door, but decided to stay in the room? Or does SHSL Zeus no longer feel like visiting the WC? Gotta agree with Hajime, this is weird.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

Rangpur posted:

The original LP (alternate title, Let's Make Lowtax Mad Bank on New Avatars)
And new accounts, can't forget about the new accounts.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

Haifisch posted:

And for all the attention paid to Fat Togami, I'm surprised there hasn't been more of a reaction to Sakura Fukawa(with a dash of Ishimaru's crazy eyes). I'm torn between the writers running with the honorable warrior schtick again or making her evil specifically to go against that(and to go with the red eyes).
I'm holding it in for now.

(Before people take out their torches and pitchforks: no, I haven't spoiled myself beyond the official promo materials and some spoiler-free fan art.)

SingerOfW fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 11, 2012

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

By the way, I'm not sure anyone noticed this (or it's worth noticing at all), but we have sixteen students here, from the very beginning.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

DaveWoo posted:

That just means there's a secret seventeenth student hiding out somewhere. :v:
Now this reminds me of Umineko.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

orenronen posted:

I'm conflicted about that. I know what the Japanese text behind the codes reference, and it will not make any sense at this point in the game, but it's still semi-spoilerific.
Kinda like the Space Journey part in the first game? Well, except that you didn't had to decipher anything in that intro.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

...Well that is certainly a way to introduce the cast, alright.

Love that Usami/Monomi got the pink background for her portraits, makes a nice contrast with Monobear's red.

Also, could you guys make the voice clips a bit louder? Tindeck tends to play the music loud, so I tune my sound system down, which means I have to make it louder again when a voice clip comes up. And the volume slider is way too small to use comfortably there.

Meanwhile, the purple-scarved Gundam keeps silence.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

IceBorg posted:

Okay I might be wrong here, but isn't Nagito Komaeda a anagram of Makoto Naegi?!?

I think this is starting to be too obvious, but with this series I don't know...
Too many letters for that.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

HGH posted:

Quick question about translation! What exactly does the "Heart-thumping" part of the the field trip mean? I've seen this translated differently in multiple media, from "Heart-pounding" to "Heart-throbbing". Is the character literally saying heartbeat noises?
Yeah, "Doki-doki" is one of those weird Japanese onomatopoeias that are often used in game titles and stuff.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

Haifisch posted:

So Usami's quirk is tawking wike this. I'm guessing the original Japanese had her using their equivilant of baby talk, and this was the best way to get it across without being too annoying? I don't really mind it, although that might just be because it brings Elmer Fudd to mind whenever Usami speaks. :v:
Considering that people imagined Monobear talking like Bugs Bunny, that comparison doesn't seem out of place.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

EchoPrima posted:

It seems Usami took the students the students to the island to learn about hope, also either this is a computer simulation or Usami's a loving wizard.
The proper term is "A magical girl".

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

Just noticed that we still have our surveillance cameras (machine guns in case someone decides to swim away?) and announcements monitors, even on the beach.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

loquacius posted:

e: Also, question for Oren or anyone else who can read Japanese, is Sonia Nevermind's last name actually a transliteration of "nevermind" or is it the Japanese word for "never mind"?
It's the transliteration. With a European given name, I wouldn't expect her to have a Japanese family name.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Hiyoko Saionii
A small typo here: she's Saionji.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

Captain Bravo posted:

I was really wondering about that, is Singer's avatar actually Peko? What's the quote from? I thought it was a touhou thing or something.
It's from Soukou Akki Muramasa. And yeah, it's her, but that simply means that I like her design, not that I spoiled myself on her involvement in the plot or anything.

(Sorry for the off-topic, Slowbeef.)

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

orenronen posted:

The second example is from a much more thoroughly localized game. Detective Itonokogiri ends his sentences with a casual, easygoing -ssu, and Gumshoe replicates the feeling by throwing "pal"s everywhere. Since there is an actual -ssu character in SDR2, I will expand on this when we get to them.
Huh. I haven't played Gyakuten Saiban (in Japanese), but I do know that NIS ended up with a very similar decision. Most prinnies end their sentences with "-ssu", and so they changed it to "dood". Keep in mind that "dude" and "pal" can be considered synonyms, and you got a very interesting case of a translation hivemind.

Raitzeno posted:

It's more that, aside from being fat, he looks absolutely no different.
His suit is white :colbert:

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Also, I'm kind of dreading the first case where everyone's going to be full of crazy theories when it'll most likely just be a simple tutorial case (11037!)
I don't think so: most people who would play DR2 have already played DR1, so there's no need to go easy on them. It might have some new mechanics, but that doesn't mean that the case itself should be easy.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

The idea I had about Togami gaining weight is that he did it because food is so scarce in Monoworld. If he were to travel between small pockets of Hope around the world, he would probably eat as much as possible whenever he could (and no one would be able to object because of his gigantic ego). For all we know, he may be fluctuating between obesity and weight deficiency pretty often, and the game just happened to catch him in the Fatogami phase. This theory has its downsides (where does he get all this food to eat if it's so scarce?), but the overall idea of eating to survive still stands.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

orenronen posted:

Tee-hee... I'm not ashamed of apowogies. They're vewy impawtant!
I can't help but think of All All Apologies when reading this line. Though it's probably just me reading too deeply into the "very important" part, and Usami just tries to act all teacher-like.

As for the Naegi-Nagito debate, I'm inclined to think that he really is Naegi, just after a short time skip. The main reason of doubting that is his birthday, and all explanations I can come up with are rather shaky. It can be the birthday of his Nagito personality, but who would actually bother remembering that? Syo certainly didn't have a separate birthday from Fukawa. That means that it's probably made up, but it's made up well enough to fool Hope's Peak Academy and have it written down in the student's profile. So Naegi either has a powerful ally who can do such a thing (Togami, perhaps?), or he has a more important role in this affair, important enough to mess with his own student profile. He might even be the mastermind: that would sure make it easy to do, well, anything.

Which leads to another question: if Nagito's birthday date is made up, what is the actual meaning behind it? Even fake dates are rarely chosen at random, so there's some room for speculation here, too. Then again, it might be something we wouldn't know, like Naegi's sister's birthday. At the very least, it doesn't seem to be an abbreviation (is that a proper term?) that the Japanese love so much (like 765 being Namco or 961 being Kuroi, "Black").

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

This hand of mine is burning red! Its loud roar tells me to RAISE ANIMALS!

Sugita is one of my favorite male voice actors simply because he's having so much fun at work, which usually leads to some very impressive performances. Add to that the fact that he called the original Dangan Ronpa one of his favorite games of 2010, and you got yourself the best animal breeder you've ever seen.

And I guess I can repost this from the general discussion thread now:
http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=manga&illust_id=31341518

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

Speaking of the interactions between SHSL ??? and SHSL Neurologist, I suppose that her love for him took roots before she had her condition, and it's so strong that it is one of the few things she never forgets (after all, it's more about the emotion than knowledge). SHSL Neurologist, however, constantly tests her memory by acting contrary to her few long-term memories: as long as she keeps being friendly with him despite his constant harassment, he knows that there are some things that even she won't forget. Or he could just be a male tsundere character, but that would be way too boring.

And I gotta love that stylish arrow scalpel on the illustration.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

Ibuki is pretty much everything Leon ever wanted to be. No wonder her design reminded some people of him.

Mikan reminds me of Fukawa, too, except that she blames herself when she's innocent instead of blaming everyone for nothing. I almost expect her to have a second personality, except that she resurrects people instead of killing them. Speaking of which, is she SHSL enough to cure the dead?

SingerOfW fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 18, 2012

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

SHSL Photographer sounded like one of the most boring talents in the game... Until I've seen her voice actor. She's going to snap sooner or later, mark my words.

And yeah, Fuyuhiko gives some strong Togami vibes. This may be one of the minor reasons they've made Togami fat, not to mention dressing him in a suit of a different color. Having two lean unsociable heirs of powerful families in black suits would be too much.

Did Nekomaru train Leon? I don't remember Leon's achievements in detail, so I'm not sure they mean him.

And what is that LEVEL UP notification that we got?

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

Son Conan posted:

It's sad to admit, but this is pretty much how I am as well.:smith:

I think I'm going to like these two.
Same here, on both those accounts.

I wonder if Chiaki is going to make meta comments on the cases, since she's in a game and all. Something like, "If this was a game, the first case should be pretty obvious to teach the player the basics, so don't look for double meanings". By the way, she shares a birthday with Chihiro!

And Peko is off to a good start, but I'm biased as hell.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

I suppose it makes sense if the whole point of the school is to research "talent," but goddamn do they assemble some useless skills.
I'm sorry? Being a swordsman is about as great as being a wrestler, and we all know how invincible Sakura was. Sure, you can't do a thing without a sword, but a SHSL Swordsman would probably never part with one.

And then you get such overpowered displays of swordsmanship as Goemon's from Lupin III.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

"Most adult men can't beat her" implies that there's a few that can.
Good thing that none of them are on the island. Probably.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

orenronen posted:

Um, this may seem a measure impudent... but... if I may be perfectly honest, that I am here pleases me a little.
Eh? Happy...? What about?
I suppose that Hajime's reply should echo Sonia's statement; that "Happy" kinda comes out of nowhere.

Hanamura's pink nosebleed pleases me greatly for some reason :haw:

SystemLogoff posted:

I'm still sorry I made that first-post guess in the first LP. :ohdear: Sorry about the problems I caused.
You shouldn't be; after all, you had no idea that your joke about Junko's creepy smile is going to turn out like that.

I'm still in the middle of listening to the podcast, so I'll comment on it later.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

Now that you mention it, this time, we have at least three characters whose SHSL talent is being a descendant of a famous family. Both Kuzuryuu and Sonia kind of steal some spotlight from Togami, which makes me wonder even more about his return from the narrative point of view. I mean, Fukawa doesn't seem to have any competition so far, so bringing her back would make for a more varied roster of talents.

At least Sonia and Kuzuryuu don't resemble Togami at all. It also makes sense for Hope's Peak to teach many descendants of powerful families.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

Some thoughts on the podcast now that I've finished listening to it (I know it should be in the DR general thread, but everyone's been commenting on it here, so whatever):

- I have to wonder if the Naegi execution scene is going to have the same impact in the anime version. Like you said, in the game, you are never sure of what's coming next, and you can totally see them killing off the main character. In the anime, however, things like that only happen either very early or at the very end, and simply knowing the number of episodes left is going to make you feel safe about Naegi even when he's about to become a SHSL Sandwich. Even having Kirigiri around as a secondary main character won't make you feel like she's going to take Naegi's place.
- This LP really is in an interesting position concerning the promotion of the game. On one hand, it basically gives you all the content you will get from buying it, so it's very close to the whole piracy debate. On the other hand, I'm sure I'm not the only one who bought a physical copy exactly because of the LP, and it feels like I'll have to buy the sequel, too. Let this be the lesson to all those silly PR managers who think that any kind of publicity will keep people from buying the game.
- I don't agree that the SHSL skills are just "there" in the first game. One way or another, each one of them did matter in some way, even if it's just Ishimaru being strict enough about the rules to challenge Mondo over it, which leads to their friendship and Ishimaru's breakdown. I suppose Celes and Hagakure's skills are close to being irrelevant, but the former made a huge gamble by having an accomplice, while the latter did make some accurate predictions.
- My post got mentioned, I suppose I should be proud of myself.

orenronen posted:

Regarding Sonia's language, and I'll expand on it in my translation notes, her English (that is, Japanese) isn't supposed to come out as terrible -- Sonia is almost never actually grammatically incorrect. What she does, though, is use overly formal and polite language (partly because she's a princess and partly because it sounds like textbook-Japanese), has some surprising vocabulary choices, and her language just sounds a little awkward in general. She also has some more language quirks that don't come out until later.
Yeah, her もちのろん is probably the thing that caught my ear the most when I was listening to the voice samples on the official website.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

Sherringford posted:

Did Asahina's skill matter though? That's the one skill that comes to mind as being pretty useless in both character and plot last game. She could have been Super High School Level Pokemon Trainer and I don't think much would have changed.
I don't think she would've been on such good terms with Sakura if they didn't share a common interest in sports. Sure, it could be any sport, but Aoi did mention that she was a member of many different sport clubs at her school.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

ApeHawk posted:

Yamada's creepiness was mostly harmless since it was just him fantasizing about fictional 2D characters.
Except that it did lead to one of the four murders in the original game. On the other hand, I would be very surprised if Hanamura's antics turn out to be the reason behind any murders. The most we're going to get is some slapstick comedy, probably involving Peko.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

Jeek posted:

I, as a non-native speaker, is reading English edited by a native speaker which is supposed to read like something spoken by a non-native speaker.
Which is translated from Japanese into English by a non-native English speaker first!

Once again, I'm glad that my English is good enough to actually understand Sonia's speech and appreciate the work Fedule puts into her lines.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

HelloWinter posted:

Better yet,

I wouldn't mind you posting more teasers of the romhack graphics.

As for the Monobear plushy, it's too bad that I already have one from the game's Best Hits edition. And even then, it will probably just sit and gather dust here. Still, it's magnificent, and you should feel awesome for making it.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

Akane's introduction made me realize that they've been writing down the chest size in the profiles since the first game. Even for males.

Saionji's profile seems to note that she likes "Popping things", so I suppose that bubble wrap was used in the translation simply because it's the best popping thing ever? Unless the Japanese really call it ぷちぷち.

Now that Togami got introduced properly, I guess it's a good time to share some fan art of him:

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

Omniphile posted:

The best part about Fatogami is that he manages to make "thin people" sound like an insult. :allears:
And I can see where he's coming from: after all, fat was a status symbol back in the day.

Sherringford posted:

That's more than interesting, that's contradictory. Think back about what Nagito said earlier - he looked up his classmates on the web. He also said that there was only one High School Level Luck dude per year. Everyone in the thread more or less agreed that this meant they were either seniors or juniors to DR1's class. What I'm getting at is, Nagito can't have been on the same year as Togami, but he says that they were on the same year as evidenced by saying that he looked up info on his classmates on the internet. Those two statements don't really match up well, so we definitely need an explanation for that.

I mean maybe you can solve that contradiction by saying that Togami was held back a year for some reason, but that's probably the kind of thing either Nagito or Naegi would have mentioned(in case of prequel stuff).
Could it be that they just got acquainted at the beach while Hajime was out cold?

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

Sherringford posted:

Hm, that's possible, but Togami doesn't seem particularly talkative. Plus Nagito seems to know an awful lot about him having earned money on his own and all - that's generally the kind of thing that doesn't come up in a conversation when you are talking to someone who seems keen on shutting you up.

"Go away. By the way I've earned a fortune on my own outside of inheriting my family's already ridiculous fortune."

Then again, if Nagito is Naegi, we can throw a lot of what he's saying right out of the window. It would explain why he knows who Togami is, and the earlier theory someone made about Naegi and Togami infiltrating games to presumably go Battle Royale 2 on everybody would explain why Nagito is trying to make it look like Togami is their classmate. Not that I'm saying we should just latch on to that theory(specially since I don't think our current evidence points to Nagito being Naegi) but it's something to keep in mind.

What I'm getting at is, the information Nagito is giving us seems pretty weird. We can probably form a decent theory on Togami once we have a better idea on what Nagito's game is.
Togami might not be talkative enough for that, but some other students who know him might be. Fuyuhiko strikes me as a person who might have a history with the Togami: his yakuza clan might have competed with the conglomerate in some spheres of influence.

Also, Togami might be famous enough for people to know him even without lurking the Net. I suppose reading about him in a newspaper or seeing him on the news and then recognizing him when you meet in person is quite possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

RandomYoshi posted:

Hey, I just noticed something about Chiaki. Her birthday is on the 14th of March, otherwise known as the Pi Day. I'm not sure what else this says about her, but if there's one thing that's certain is that she just got goonier than she already was, and I'm loving it.
And do you know who else had this birthday? Chihiro. Though it makes more sense as a programmer's birthday than a gamer's.

• Locked thread