Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Ixjuvin posted:

Clear as a crisp spring morning. Jun... kos... in the coffee.

Super High School Level Movie Trivia Buff :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Fedule, I like the revised speech pattern a bit better. It's easier to read, and it really does give a "she's talking like this because she thinks it's cute" vibe that I like better.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Fedule posted:

Put it this way: In Japanese, you can insult people with grammar in a single sentence. To do the equivalent in English requires at least a short conversation. It is inevitable that details - like first-person pronouns - will get lost in translation because they just don't exist in English. So something needs to be added to compensate.

As I see it, the "intent" at any given point is less a matter of specifics about speaking style and word choice and more about establishing things - in this case, we're establishing characters (later we'll be establishing facts pertinent to a murder (which may include more characterization)). So, in the first half of that update, the intent is to convey that:
  • Hinata is confused and irritable
  • Nagito is well-meaning but a little overbearing
  • Nagito is awfully familiar seeming, isn't he?
  • Nagito is accepting but Hinata is skeptical

Everything else is just details, really. This is the stuff that should be getting across to you in the script, without having to read any of the notes.

I just want to say I'm perfectly fine with your translation style because this is how every game is translated. Phoenix Wright is one of my favorite games of all time, but I don't mind when they change ramen to hamburgers because it really doesn't effect anything.

As long as the murders and character development is more or less untouched I don't think it's a big deal that throw-away lines are slightly changed to ease reading for English audiences.

Also on characters and how they compared to the old ones: We're three updates in. I remember starting DR1 thinking "Ugh, a girl who's into swimming? Boring. A nerd? He's going to die first. This is so generic and anime."

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
The anime isn't horrible. The creepy fans, however, are another story. I remember seeing a guy boasting about how he knew what color panties each of the girls wear by heart. :stare:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

orenronen posted:

I... wasn't expecting that. I mean, DR is fairly popular with the Akihabara crowd and that store is probably tiny and can't host many people at once, but still - this is essentially a 3 hour line to buy expensive merchandise for a video game.

No, that sounds about right when it comes to nerds. :v:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Let's talk to Gundam and Nagito!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Stroth posted:

Am I the only one who thinks that sounds really fuckin suspicious?

I personally think either he did it, or is going to have the mother of all nervous breakdowns when the killer is found. :smith:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

North of Gravity posted:

I did a quick doodle of Ibuki this morning. :blush:

She looks like a Monster High doll. Which actually might make for a cool doll mod. :v:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

slowbeef posted:

I mostly like everything you brought up, except I'm wondering who Nagito planned to murder. Or for that matter, how. I mean, what's his plan in that theory? Find the knife, and then just blindly start stabbing?

It's possible! Maybe with his SHSL Luck he figured whoever he killed would deserve it?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I can't stay mad at a book that used Home Alone as a plot point. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

FPzero posted:

My only suggestion for the RP is maybe resize both of your commentator avatars to about half size or see if there's a better way to distinguish your text from the roleplay's text. They're pretty large as they are and I found myself missing some of the roleplay's lines in between them as I read.

Otherwise, I'm ready to see where this rabbit hole leads.

I agree. :shobon: It'll be easier to read with the avatars a little smaller.

• Locked thread