Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Other people would look at a game like this and ask 'why'.

I look at it and think 'poo poo, I know way too many people who'd go nuts for a game that lets you rapidfire bricks and piledrive trains so hard they explode'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

What was the music used in the Hackman stage? Sounded kinda familiar.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Niggurath posted:

From what I remember, the Skrull cow people did indeed get eaten and it somehow bestowed semi-lovely powers onto a few people who were promptly forgotten because their powers were dumb (such as 3-D Man who can do things times better than a human).

Yup. Turns out eating Skrullburgers gives you a form of Mad Cow Disease that bestows superpowers upon the consumer! But it also kills you. Yay!

The only real reason any of this is remembered is a) because it's utterly batshit insane and b) it was written by Grant Morrison, fan and master of all things batshit insane. There was a token appearance by the characters (the Skrull Kill Krew) in the Secret Invasion crossover, but that was a terrible storyline, so who cares.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

So, Bright Man is the Cirno of MMD? Because I can kinda see that.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Dugan Nash posted:

Funny you should mention that, with practice I was (eventually and painstakingly enough) able to beat SSW and Jedi on jedi difficulty. Empire? I game overed about four times on Hoth before giving up, finding the code that starts you at the final Vader fight, beating that, then flipping the game the bird. Oh dear, that game has quite a penchant for lazily stacking unfair situations against the player.

The fact that you can miss Force powers in SESB is a pain in the dick, though I think passwords give you all powers up to that point anyway.

Empire was the only one I was able to finish, for some reason. Like most people here, I was stymied by the Sandcrawler. The next stage was horrible when I was a kid as well.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Tsym posted:

DoDonPachi Daioujou Black Label

I wish I was better at this series. I picked up DDP Resurrection on the 360 (and got Deathsmiles at the same time, oddly enough) but I'll be damned if I can reach the second loop.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Smash Daisaku posted:

Despite not having the taste for bullet hell shooters anymore (I completely crashed on the genre after 1-CCing DoDonPachi back in college), I do enjoy watching them. There's something about being able to watch the whole picture in motion rather than having to focus really hard on where your ship is and where it needs to go. It's honestly kind of relaxing to kick back and watch neat-looking hell patterns fly across the screen.

I like watching bullet hell videos when I'm tired or ill. There's something very relaxing about it, like watching a tremendously violent lava lamp.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

FreezingInferno posted:

Yeah, I tried Super Empire with giddy excitement not long after I beat SSW for the first time. It did not go very well at all.

Like, I could be totally wrong here, but it felt like they just took Super Star Wars and made it arbitrarily harder. The "throw everything and the kitchen sink at the player" approach. I really wasn't enjoying myself, it was just a sort of suffering. Not my kind of hard game tea. If someone else wants to do Super Empire and Super Jedi, please do! Prove me wrong and show that those games have good points! (Can't speak for or against Super Jedi, beyond messing with it briefly years ago)

No, that's it in a nutshell. Also they made the Jedi powers missable, so if you're not using passwords, congratulations, you dun hosed up! I remember only one or two of them were worth using anyway, so no great loss.

The final boss of Empire's hilariously easy if you use the lightsaber anyway.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Dectilon posted:

I haven't played it, but I did watch that one episode of GCCX featuring it, and it does seem to have some elements in common with mighty bomb jack. Like having to find hideously obscure items.

It's not quite that obtuse, but trying to work out where to go next can be frustrating as hell. The Metroidian elements of the game are oddly forgotten about by people.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Stupid question, but you do know you can punch the little ground-chargy-spikey-things, right (the lil' train things, not the explody ones)? Just that you took damage a few times there and I wasn't sure if it was because you were trying to save time or because you were unaware.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Dectilon posted:

Bullet hells tend to, as far as I can tell, strip away everything except the bullets. No stage gimmicks, no terrain to run into, just more and more complex bullet patterns.

Some games will have stage hazards (Dodonpachi Dai-Fukkatsu has giant indestructible rings of laser cannons, for example) but by and large, death will come at the hands of glowy bullets and enemies exist solely to deliver said bullets and make your score skyrocket. Considering how many games require you to inhabit the upper third of the screen if you want a decent score, running into an enemy is nigh impossible if you're holding the fire button down, unlike, say, R-Type or Gradius.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

The Directional Option can trivialize large chunks of the game if you're even halfway good at using it. I always had problems with the regenerating meat walls and the goo on this stage, but that may be more due to the fact that it's a difficult stage, rather than my choice of Option.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

The Man with a Hat posted:

• The name "Axis Chemicals" is a reference to one of Tim Burton's secondary objectives for the film: critiquing Batman's violent methods and comparing them to the Nazis.

That's weird, I thought he said he had not and would never read a single Batman comic in his life.

Incidentally, someone should do a run of Kabuki Quantum Fighter for the thread. It's very similar to this game, and greatly underrated.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I always get really low speeds from Baldurdash for some reason. Takes upwards of an hour or so to buffer a 10 min video.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

You know that mad old soothsayer who swears he can see the paths of the future unfurling in the entrails of a dead animal?

That's your average bullet hell fan trying to work out the pattern to a boss.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Drewjitsu posted:

Startropics is the perfect(?) sort of game for a god of war style 3rd person game. All of the weapons are flingable and circular in attack arc, etc. I would play the poo poo out of a game like that.

That makes me think of the Rygar remake that came out on the PS2. I'd hope it would fare better.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I remember when I had this, I discovered something cool. If you have a rapid fire pad (or dick about with your emulator settings) and have the weapon switch button set to auto, it essentially lets you fire both weapons at once. With some, like the flamethrower, its of limited use (you can't tap the fire button for the flamethrower, you need to hold it down), but get two crush guns and it turns into a short range weapon that does obscene amounts of damage. As in you can obliterate almost any boss in seconds. It's not so great on the top-down sections, since you switch sides when switching weapons, but other than that, enjoy your instant death zone.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

CyanideMonkey posted:

I remember seeing the touhou games being played and being astounded at the skill of people who could play those on insanity mode. This, however, is just INSANE.
Someone needs to LP this just for the sake of my brain.

That final attack.... :psyboom:
How does the game not crash?

:iiam:

Seriously though, the slowdown in these games is surprisingly integral. I can't remember which game it was, but the home ports of one game (pretty sure it was a Cave shooter as well) managed to remove the slowdown, giving a much smoother experience over the arcade version. They actually got complaints from players, since the slowdown factored in to many strategies. On top of that, the removal of the slowdown inadvertently wound up making the game harder (it's possible)!

Also, liking these C:HC runs. Every playthrough out there uses Brownie, so seeing other characters used is a fun change.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Zeikier posted:

Update

I don't have a whole lot to say about the Junkyard. It throws a lot more bosses at you, particularly at the end.

Small thing, but it's 'Taurus'. Tauros is a Pokemon :eng101:

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I thought they meant the bus back to his home. The bus from it passes regularly, but the one to it shows as often as Halley's Comet.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

DeathChicken posted:

The "Scale up a flying missile" thing was also done in X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse. Which might qualify for a hard game, if it didn't allow you to choose Wolverine and easy mode every stage.

Didn't you have to play through each level individually first? I remember one of them being an absolute bastard to get through.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

That's a ridiculously professional hack. Just a shame about the sprite limits.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Phiggle posted:

You can turn them off and the game works fine. I found out about it too late for our recording, which I really regret. :( Sorry about that.

Go back and do it again. No excuses :colbert:

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

For those interested, there's a new Contra 3 speedrun up on SDA that shows off the double Crush rapid switching trick I mentioned earlier in the thread.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

slowbeef posted:

Speaking of idiocy, Contra Shattered Soldier is loving killing me right now. I can consistently S-Rank Stage 1, but I can't even finish Stage 2.

Yeah, I dunno what it is about that game. I'm good/decent at every other game in the series (bar Neo Contra and Uprising, which I've never played) but sit me in front of SS and I ragequit like a ten-year-old.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I think the one thing I don't like about HC is that the final bosses don't feel grand enough. Like the final stage of Contra 3, it feels like a climax and the final boss has, what, a dozen forms all in, if you include the possible spinny orb things. Whereas here, if they'd scaled down the endings and combined two or three of them together to make a good multi-stage fight, it would've been more satisfying. I applaud the idea of the branching paths, but I think it just resulted in the end result being watered down.

That spinning head effect on the alien heart is fantastic though.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

That's linking to your first vid btw.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

DeathChicken posted:

Update

Have another. Easy and short one, though it's kind of downhill from here.

Can't you kick Doppleganger when he shows up the first time? I know you can do it later with another boss, but I'm sure you can hit Doppleganger so he has less health in the boss encounter. It demands pixel-perfect timing though.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Ragny posted:

Hey look everybody, it's your favorite level!

Funny thing I found when I played the SNES version: when you used any cheat codes, it usually locked you out from seeing the ending when you beat the game. The exception is if you used it to beat this level. That saved my sanity so much as a kid.

I remember reading an interview with one of the guys who worked on Maximum Carnage. It basically boiled down to "yeah, maybe we should've made it a liiiitle easier. Whoops!"

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

It was the double-jumps that always got me. The controls for that really aren't as tight as they should be. It was years before I was successfully able to get past the first part of the second stage with any kind of regularity.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I remember one Summer when I was about ten or so, asking for the Gameboy versions of Wizards and Warriors and Battletoads for my birthday. Apparently, I hated myself as a child.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

MostlyHeroic posted:

Jeez, seeing all these ace runs of side scrollers is leaving me feeling quite inadequate. It's my worst genre but... dang. You guys make it look so much easier than it probably is.

On the flip side, I'm amazed at how many of these games I've never actually heard of or at least played. Shinobi 3's got me very excited for the future of this thread. I've almost got my first game ready to go as well so lets hope that turns out as planned.

Back when I was about 13 or so, I could go through Super Ghouls and Ghosts in a single sitting without losing a life. I could speedrun Super Metroid ten minutes shy of the (original, non-sequence break) record. Now? I can't even plug in the controller without falling victim to angry scorpions. Teenage me was so much better at games and I hate him so much :argh:

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I think Dracula's final form there is supposed to be based on Pazuzu. It looks close enough to it for me, at least.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Please tell me you have a bigger version of that image because :sbahj:

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Well I know what I'm buying when payday swing round!

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I just love how the plot is literally "our third best agent goes after their number two".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I always loved the tag-in effect from that final fight. Made it feel more dynamic than it had any right to be. The credits music is great too.

Now go play Separation Anxiety (don't do this).

• Locked thread