Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Paul.Power posted:

Looking back at Oysterman, I was hoping it'd have a "challenges" gimmick to reflect it being Oyster's level. Although how you'd enforce challenges I don't know. Maybe things like reversed controls for a room or something, although that does sound annoying.

Instead of reversed controls, you could disable buttons. One room with no shooting, another with no jumping/sliding, another where you can't move backwards, one where your weapon changes randomly every few seconds...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

KingEffingFrost posted:

I love the mechanics of this stage, but the aesthetics of it make my skin crawl. Yet another way Gradius V can knock you off your game.

Man, never play R-Type then.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Interestingly enough there was a TAS of the NES Captain Planet game just submitted to the TASVideos workbench.

I watched the first two levels. They were horribly dull.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I beat Super R-Type (a weird cross between R-Type 1 and 2 on the SNES) legitimately, but I always had to use crazy amounts of continues to do it. Especially the last stage loves to spawn enemies in annoying locations while also making you deal with those organic walls that you can shoot away but they come back a few seconds later.

R-Type 3 is just stupidly hard. Is Stage 4 the one where you go through it forwards, and then you go through it backwards? Yeah, that's nuts.

I have some appreciation for R-Type Final, though, if only because I love the R-Type ship aesthetic and there's over a hundred ships in RTF. I can also get all of the endings (on Normal difficulty anyway) without excessive amounts of trouble, so the amount of bullshit in its level design is nowhere near that of its predecessors. I just wish the unlock requirements for the ships weren't so onerous. There's a bunch of ships whose requirements are things like "Have N hours of play with this other ship", for example. And yeah, there's an exploit on one of the levels that you can use to rack up flight time without having to actually play, but it's still stupid.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Oh hey, on the subject of hard shmups, if anyone wanted to take a stab at Recca, I'd enjoy watching that. It's an obscure NES shmup, and it is fast. There's also a second loop (really, a completely new set of levels after you reach the "end" and go back to the title screen), and if you're feeling really masochistic you can use a cheat code to make the enemies spawn random bullets when they die :supaburn:.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
If I recall correctly, Han always has at least the Fire level of blaster, while Luke and Chewie get stuck back at Laser if they die. Han also has the fastest draw (from pressing the shoot button to the blaster actually firing), and Chewie has the slowest, though their rate of fire is the same. And of course only Luke gets a lightsaber.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I still remember wall-jumping up a narrow shaft in the original N and splatting against the ceiling because I was moving so fast. I'm guessing that's been "fixed" in N+?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

azren posted:

Assuming I get this thing to work properly, are savestates frowned upon, or is it okay to do this 2007 style?

I would say generally that it's better if the use of savestates isn't obvious to the viewer. Probably the easiest way to do this is to use input recording (which overwrites itself every time you load state) and then later use the input recording to generate a video file.

Of course this doesn't work so well for live commentary.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Man, that game is nuts. It's neat to see the game played without bombspam / quarter-feeding and with commentary; whenever I play those kinds of games I tend to resort to the former fairly quickly and my commentary tends to be unprintable.

(Though, if anyone wants an accessible bullet hell game, they should definitely check out Jamestown; it gives a good bullet hell feel while also having a good range of difficulty levels and a level-select so you can practice)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

DefenderDT posted:

Though I wonder if they refer to games like Contra as STG or not, because we, in the west (or at least as far as I've seen on some sites) call them SHMUPS.

Here's how I tend to break things down:

* Shmup
-* Scrolling shooter (c.f. 1944, R-Type)
-* Run'n'gun (Contra)
-* Bullet hell (Touhou, Dodonpachi)

"Shmup" itself is so vague as to be useless in terms of actually pinning down what you're talking about. And it only gets worse with the people who refer to FPSen as "shooters". Bottom line is that the use of projectile weapons in videogames is not exactly a new phenomenon! Remember Spacewar?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
The "move towards target while firing" trick is used sometimes in TASes when an enemy goes in and out of vulnerability; it lets you "stack up" a bunch of shots that will all land very quickly as soon as the enemy becomes vulnerable. But assuming it doesn't affect your firing rate or accuracy, there's otherwise no real point in doing it.

Congrats on finishing the LP, Nidoking! I would not have wanted to be in your shoes when you first got to Farta on EX mode.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
It's interesting how this game is basically all the traditional Gradius concepts, only amped up and with no slowdown. Also, holy hell that Keeper Core fight :gonk:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

Is this breaking at about 03:40 whether streamed or downloaded for anyone else?

Yeah, that's happening to me too. Weird.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Congrats for finishing! The analysis of Dick Move Omega was especially interesting. Do those hatches always open in the same order (bottom first, then top)? If so, then a little watching of the boss's patterns should make it reasonably clear when you can attack him and when you can't, so even if you could jump over the spiked balls you probably would prefer to stand on the hatches instead.

Doesn't make being unable to jump over those things less of a dick move, though.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Melaneus posted:

I wonder if there's any etymological connection between the Argonians from this game and the race from Elder Scrolls?

Haven't played Elder Scrolls, but I'd guess the reference is to the Argo, Jason's ship in the Golden Fleece story from Greek mythology. I could believe that the term has been co-opted to mean travelers or voyagers in general.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Konami's not alone in doing those circular-segmented-tentacle legs; plenty of other developers do it a lot (Treasure comes to mind, for example, but e.g. it's also in Super Metroid for Ridley's tail and the entirety of Botwoon). They're an easy way to do smoothly-animated "limbs" without having to spend time on rotating sprites and complicated hitbox detection.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Dectilon posted:

I would, but honestly it's a bit too hard for our usual shtick.

Gradius isn't that hard! Just...never die.

(Kinda like how Contra is easy so long as you always have the spread gun, I guess, but moreso)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
That spider boss reminds me of Gecko from Einhänder.

...stupid Square. Make Zweihänder already. :colbert:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Man, this game gives me serious Gunstar Heroes vibes, what with all the enemies-composed-of-many-smaller-sprites thing going on everywhere and all the bosses.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

:gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk::gonk:

You're gonna give a guy a heart attack, you know that right?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

frozentreasure posted:

Is Pid Hard?

Apparently, because that's all I could find being criticised about it when it came out.

Having played some of Pid (2 hours according to Steam), I did find it to be very hard, but not in very interesting ways. The jumps require a lot of precision, but the "excursion funnels" you can throw down (using the Portal 2 term, since that's basically what they are) have really fiddly hit detection. When you're in a funnel you have very little control, which tends to result in a lot of "I can see this death coming and there's nothing I can do about it." The collectibles can only be spent on consumable items and extra hitpoints (normally you die in one hit; you lose the extra hitpoint if you get one-shotted e.g. via a pit, too) -- and the consumable items are also used in puzzles, in which case you're handed an unlimited supply anyway; this makes 100%ing unrewarding. It also means that the consumables are normally limited, which penalizes experimenting with them.

As a general rule, I kind of felt like having the ability to negate gravity in a specific area ought to allow you to do really awesome things in a platforming game, but here it doesn't. The implementation felt intentionally constricted to limit the player's opportunities to break free; the character's basic movement abilities were likewise too limited to really take advantage. I like games where the player's skill makes them feel powerful (not necessarily in a destructive sense); here at best you can hope for seems to be "basically competent" and the baseline is "painfully clumsy". That's not a good thing.

The game has an interesting setting, its aesthetics and writing are competently executed, they did a multiplatform release...I just didn't have fun.

EDIT:

HGH posted:

Ok I'm convinced, someone has to do a full playthrough of Alien Soldier without ever dying just so we can see what tedious and long boss fights are truly like.
There's a TAS of Alien Soldier that chews through Seven Force (and everything else, naturally) gratifyingly quickly.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 30, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I do have to agree that the Minus Infinity music isn't the greatest. Rockman no Constancy (a very solid MM2 hack, if with a slightly smaller scope than MI has) has a much better selection and execution.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I remember that hack. I pulled off a tricky boomerang throw and expected to be rewarded with a sequence break of some kind, but instead I just got permastuck. :(

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Is there any particular reason you guys aren't using Rush Search more often? I keep seeing you finish a room and be almost dead and I'm practically shouting at the screen "Go dig up some health!".

I mean, now you have a gazillion E-tanks, so I guess it's kind of moot, but still.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

I can't stop watching this. Megaman just looks so happy. :stare:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I've been playing Gunstar Heroes lately (and realizing that there's no way, no how I could do a deathless playthrough even on Normal, the last level's simply too long), and Brownie's upgraded laser weapon looks basically identical to the Blaster+Laser combination in Gunstar. The "lag" when you turn is actually useful since it lets you fire shots in-between the 45° angles you're normally locked to. So for example, if there's a target on the other side of the screen, just slightly above your firing line (so firing straight wouldn't hit it, but firing up at a 45° angle would be too high), then you can hit it by firing and rapidly tapping up to shift your aim slightly.

I dunno, it comes in useful sometimes. :shrug:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Discendo Vox posted:

Does that self-destrictive laser miniboss remind anyone else of Timeron from Gunstar Heroes?

Only in the most general sense of being a cylindrical robot. Timeron has a very different design and gimmick, and (this is important) is actually interesting to fight.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Pacifisto posted:

The Ecco games cause this...primal fear deep inside me. You're always under a time limit, you don't always know where the next air is, and the sound you make when you get hurt, oh geez that sound. That sound haunts my nightmares.

I've had a couple of nightmares involving swimming through narrow underwater tunnels, yep. Knowing that there's air somewhere down there, but never knowing how close I am or, if I turned around (if I had enough room to turn around!), I'd be able to find my way back to the surface. Never really drew the Ecco connection, but in hindsight it's pretty obvious.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Congrats on finishing! That's one heck of a ROM hack; I'm seriously impressed by the creators.

Is Saucer Wily in fact weak to Wire? I don't think you ever tried it.

(Also, :v: at Dr. Light facepalming)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
It was suggested, and Ragny said he'd be willing to do one so long as everyone involved had at least played the hack before.

This is not a good game to play blind.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I think that may just be firing a bunch of rings in rapid succession and then holding them all out.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
For Kid Chameleon, I don't know that there's a clear "best" way to run it since the game is a maze of branching paths, looping paths, and secret exits. Honestly I'd say it's sufficient to just show a relatively normal runthrough, with perhaps the occasional detour for "If I'd gone this way, then I would have seen this other level (or the rest of this skipped level), which looks like this".

Of course, you also need a death reel at the end of each video. :black101:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Man, I never knew about singing to clams for healing, so I thought the only healing in the game was from eating fish.

I'd say "no wonder I never made it very far" but it sounds like that knowledge would mostly have just got me slightly further into the second level...

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Shinobi III is IMO a lot more fair than Revenge of Shinobi, mostly because they greatly improved your moveset. You can run, wall-jump, and (IIRC) grab ceilings, the double-jump is a lot more lenient, and you have a dashing melee attack that gives you a lot of invincibility frames. It's still a hard game, but it's hard in far more interesting ways. It doesn't hurt that the levels and enemies are much better and more varied. Like 80% of the enemies in Revenge of Shinobi are green ninjas or soldiers.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Zeikier posted:

Kid Chameleon will be much less graceful, I'm debating just how far I'll go with showing deaths off there, but it's a much different beast from Hard Corps.

The way I'd suggest handling this is to show an edited-together clean run of however many levels you're doing, with a death reel at the end that shows all of your miserable failures. That gives a good sense of how bloody hard the game is without bogging down the main video with lots of repetition because you keep dying 75% of the way through the level.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Ambitious Spider posted:

I never knew about the special powers in Kid Chameleon. Maybe that's why I never beat it.

Most of them don't help as much as you'd think. The most notable powers IIRC are 50 crystals for an extra life from the axe-murderer mask, and a cheapo 2-crystal damaging beam for Cyclops which makes him suck that much less.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
This game is way too fond of taking away all your health in about half a second and then making you replay lengthy levels to get back to where you were when you died. They did it with the Asterite and now this. Holy hell. :stare:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Now that the Ecco LP is done, y'all might consider checking out the Ecco TAS for a little catharsis. (There's also an Ecco 2 TAS; it's about twice as long).

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Positronic Spleen posted:

I'm still not sure I understand the deal with the asterite. It was missing an orb because you stole it from the past, so it sends you into the past to steal it? :psyduck: And why is it friendly in the future, but is all kill-on-sight in the past?

It's a completely pointless time loop -- if the Asterite didn't send you into the past to mug itself, then it wouldn't ever get damaged and the game could skip all the prehistoric levels. But given the existence of the loop, its attitude makes sense -- when you show up in the present/future, it's all "Oh, now I know why a dolphin appeared out of nowhere millions of years ago and beat the poo poo out of me." It has reason to be friendly in the future because it realizes you're just trying to fix it. Of course the past Asterite doesn't know that and thus tries to defend itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Zeikier posted:

You guys want to see every nook and cranny of the levels and every exit and all that, or do you just want to see them completed efficiently or see all the juicier secrets?

I'd say show off the bigger/more interesting secrets, but you absolutely shouldn't try to 100% the levels or anything like that. It'd take forever!

• Locked thread