Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Didn't you have to play through each level individually first? I remember one of them being an absolute bastard to get through.

Yeah, all of the characters have their own unique stage, and when they're all clear you get your choice of character for the rest of the game. I might run through that, if you all don't mind technical limitations (read: I have Fraps and a lovely mic).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zellus
Apr 3, 2010

Incompetence surrounds me!

FreezingInferno posted:

They make him into a winged gargoyle man of some kind.

And they left Spider-Man alone since Sega actually had the license to use that character at the time, but it expired by the time of the Virtual Console release, so he's completely pink in that version only.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Pneub posted:

The sound drivers they sent out with dev kits in the west were kinda garbage if they didn't know what to do with it (that's how most these are even possible).

Sometimes though, you had pleasant surprises with the Genesis sound chip.

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007
I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something that could never destroy us.

Slimnoid posted:

For my money you can't get much better than this.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Ha, that link was already blacked out for me before I clicked on it.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

djw175 posted:

Would Megaman Xtreme be a difficult enough game? I mean they manage to sort of make Chill Penguin difficult by making the arena slightly smaller and making Megaman be made out of paper.
I'm not Dectilon, but I'd figure a game would qualify to be LP'd for this thread if you can clearly work out on your LP why you consider it fitting. The entire point is to analyze for difficulty, or, when it's obvious, provide solutions - so "this is harder in the port because" would definitely fit, I think. Also, I'd love to see an SA LP of the Xtreme games. I tried myself but holy poo poo does double-tap dash-jumping not work.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Remember that thou wast a servant in the land of LP, and that the Lord thy Master brought thee out thence through mighty balls and a stretched out dive.
Dectilon 5:15

Simply Simon posted:

I'm not Dectilon, but I'd figure a game would qualify to be LP'd for this thread if you can clearly work out on your LP why you consider it fitting. The entire point is to analyze for difficulty, or, when it's obvious, provide solutions - so "this is harder in the port because" would definitely fit, I think. Also, I'd love to see an SA LP of the Xtreme games. I tried myself but holy poo poo does double-tap dash-jumping not work.

Listen to this fine gentleman.

StarPilot87
Dec 31, 2012

slowbeef posted:

I'm never gonna catch up and see this train you're all talking about without posting more content, so:

EPISODE FIVE: Where we are a spineless jellyfish.

Those "hacker" bosses kind of remind me of the Rez bosses where they're made up of tons of cubes but only have one real weakpoint.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Simply Simon posted:

If you want to give it another try, you can also dash with Down-A. Which is almost required for Storm Eagle.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
By the by, since there's so much awesome Contra being posted (amongst other things), if you've never heard it, a band called Vomitron has an album called "No NES for the Wicked" which is all metal covers of video games.

This is track 2, titled "Contra," and it's a cover of every stage of the original NES Contra. I'm especially partial to stage 2/4 (at 1:43) and stage 6 (at 4:26), but it's all pretty enjoyable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp4_GcI-atg

The whole album is pretty cool (they do Ninja Gaiden, Blaster Master, Castlevania, etc.) so pick it up if you like what you hear.

ChaoticGood
May 7, 2010

Slimnoid posted:

MUSHA Aleste has amazing music on the Genesis.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Are we having awesome Genesis music chat, or are we having hard game thread chat? Let's have both! Now someone go beat Bloody Swamp in Kid Chameleon. Or beat Kid Chameleon. I was never able to myself.

Fragger
Aug 21, 2010
Not to stop the awesome Genesis talk (I had that over an SNES growing up) here is another N+ part!

As you can tell the game really is no longer "easy" and has started to get quite a bit tougher. Also it is kind of funny that in the middle of this becoming the Contra thread that this video has a level named "Contra"

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The Ecco games probably qualify as hard games and have amazing Genesis music, just sayin.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

EPISODE 6 (Stage 4) - Where we meet the best dinosaur ever.

Seriously, look at that loving dinosaur!

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
It's always Contra time in the Hard Games Thread. These levels are too drat short, I keep having to toss two of them at once out. Anyways.

Trains are okay, but I like my jetski!

I'm not sure what's being built here, but I'm going to blow it up.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
All this Contra is very exciting but I'm personally on pins and needles for the next Minus Infinity video. I binged through it in one night after seeing Cossack 4 and Wily 3 is something, alright.

Flergatron 3000
May 8, 2008

you look like a fool with those buns!
Ok, I always considered myself to be a decent gamer so I booted up some Contra Hard Corps after watching all these videos. I got owned hard. :saddowns:

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Flergatron 3000 posted:

Ok, I always considered myself to be a decent gamer so I booted up some Contra Hard Corps after watching all these videos. I got owned hard. :saddowns:

Just keep shooting!

Don't feel too bad. Contra, as a series (really starting with 3, I think) is mostly meant to be lost a few times so you understand what the bosses/set pieces are going to do.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Remember that thou wast a servant in the land of LP, and that the Lord thy Master brought thee out thence through mighty balls and a stretched out dive.
In Hard Corps, far more so than in any other contra game (that I've played), the best strategy is almost always to NEVER STOP MOVING FORWARD. Unless the stage forces you to stop, constantly moving forward will prevent enemies coming from behind from firing.

If I remember correctly, the last "3D"-stage is really good and very different from the first two.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Dectilon posted:

In Hard Corps, far more so than in any other contra game (that I've played), the best strategy is almost always to NEVER STOP MOVING FORWARD. Unless the stage forces you to stop, constantly moving forward will prevent enemies coming from behind from firing.

This is true of Contra 3 as well, mostly because hanging around means more enemies - and worse, bullets - spawn and if you can kill/get through traps quickly, you can avoid the worst of it.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

It is, but in contra 1-3 (at least in my experience) there's more incentive to stop and take care of enemy "snipers" and such. In Hard Corps that only comes up once ever in a section you're allowed to scroll along at your own pace.

Phiggle
Apr 26, 2007

And so, having defeated the nefarious Psy-Crow, our hero, Earthworm Jim, wins back the heart of the lovely COW
Enjoying the Contra deluge and n+ for sure.

What? Sure, I can get you more Minus Infinity! Sadly (but perhaps luckily for me), Dectilon wasn't blind to some of this level. Once we get to the end, he's all blind again. This level is a great, great idea, but it's very long, so I split it up. The end of Wily 3 should be up tomorrowish.

Wily 3: Wily's Labyrinth

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

dis astranagant posted:

The Ecco games probably qualify as hard games and have amazing Genesis music, just sayin.

Yes on both counts. Both Ecco games have some of the best soundtracks, and not just on the Genesis. However, I ain't touching those games. :shepicide:

Man, that chill-rear end dinosaur. :3:

Not sure if I should spoil-tag this about Browny's weapons, but I will in case people want to find out themselves. His B weapon has very little recoil. Combined with its decent fire rate it makes phases 1 and 3 of the Jungle boss incredibly easy because you don't have to worry about him spinning/shaking around.

I had another idea for a hard game: Gynoug/Wings of Wor. It's a shmup that really likes to mob you. It has some creepy designs (Cho Aniki's Satoshi Nakai), and its soundtrack is by Noriyuki Iwadare (of Lunar fame).

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Slimnoid posted:

It's a matter of figuring out the soundchip. The DevKit matter certainly hosed over its legacy.

slowbeef posted:

Would Revenge of Shinobi be considered a hard game? I'm considering it after Hard Corps.)

It is indeed a hard game if you try to hammer down the levels as easily as its percusor or sequel, but its still challenging even if you know how the levels go and how the bosses are laid up.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

dis astranagant posted:

I beat both Ecco games and I wouldn't wish that experience on anybody.

But if some poor soul takes it on regardless, you bet I'd watch it.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Oh cool! Wily 3. It's one of my favorite levels in any Megaman game, actually. I just really enjoy pretty much every part of it.

Edit: I never knew about the Yashichis, wow.

Kinu Nishimura fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 7, 2013

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I don't think you have to turn in mid air to get to the Kalinka room. The warp's just there. It even has a wavy line symbol on the map. But you have to use wire or balloon to get back up there if you go forward at all/come from another direction in the big jumper room.

Man, I would play the absolute hell out of a full mega man metroidvania game.

Also, what you did with Toadman at the end results in a tiny easter egg in the closing credits. I've spoiler blocked it in the past in this thread, but I'll leave you to it for your playthrough.

Pacifisto
Jul 11, 2010

FreezingInferno posted:

I beat both Ecco games and I wouldn't wish that experience on anybody.

But if some poor soul takes it on regardless, you bet I'd watch it.

The Ecco games cause this...primal fear deep inside me. You're always under a time limit, you don't always know where the next air is, and the sound you make when you get hurt, oh geez that sound. That sound haunts my nightmares.

And honestly, it's a pretty dark game, thematically.

Someone should do it. I'll get the shivers if I try.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Choco1980 posted:

Man, I would play the absolute hell out of a full mega man metroidvania game.
If only, ZX...

Though the Zero games can come close, at least in the "secrets hidden everywhere with little puzzles involved to get them" department.

Also, ever heard of Mega Man X Corrupted? It's a fangame that's been in production for ages but is apparently still being worked on? Supposed to be a full Metroidvania with shitloads of content, really ambitious. Check out trailers on YT. If it ever gets released, it should be the best thing ever (or seriously overhyped, who knows :v: ).

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Pacifisto posted:

The Ecco games cause this...primal fear deep inside me. You're always under a time limit, you don't always know where the next air is, and the sound you make when you get hurt, oh geez that sound. That sound haunts my nightmares.

I've had a couple of nightmares involving swimming through narrow underwater tunnels, yep. Knowing that there's air somewhere down there, but never knowing how close I am or, if I turned around (if I had enough room to turn around!), I'd be able to find my way back to the surface. Never really drew the Ecco connection, but in hindsight it's pretty obvious.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I've had a couple of nightmares involving swimming through narrow underwater tunnels, yep. Knowing that there's air somewhere down there, but never knowing how close I am or, if I turned around (if I had enough room to turn around!), I'd be able to find my way back to the surface. Never really drew the Ecco connection, but in hindsight it's pretty obvious.

It's interesting, I generally don't have claustrophobia but underwater caving or avalanches terrify me. Buried alive is fine though, which is why I find it odd. Some combination of the enclosed and cold, or something.

Flergatron 3000
May 8, 2008

you look like a fool with those buns!

Ok, I just noticed you can land on the hands on the waterfall boss if you double jump on them as Brownie. Also that C weapon flail thing... you can hold the fire button down and it keeps on hitting the enemy while "flailing" around.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Edit: Noticed the Youtube description of the Wily 3 video mentioned it would be explained in the next video, so deleted for kinda-spoilers.

Tengames fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 8, 2013

SillyGoosesinc
Jul 18, 2012

by exmarx

djw175 posted:

Would Megaman Xtreme be a difficult enough game? I mean they manage to sort of make Chill Penguin difficult by making the arena slightly smaller and making Megaman be made out of paper.

I've heard people say Xtreme was super difficult but honestly it was the only Megaman game I was able to beat as a kid, I even did the hard mode and Xtreme mode. It's been a long time since I played that game, I'd love to see an LP of it. If you want to do it bro then go for it... or I will :twisted:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Jesper Kyd, always ahead of the curve. I think this was the game he wrote custom software for to handle the audio production using the Yamaha.

This video has some more info on the process, as well as waveforms for one of his other tracks on that game.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.

thevoiceofdog fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 8, 2013

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Zoda-Y: I've learned not to send a henchmen on an errand that requires me!

-immediately pawns Mike off on another villain in space and time.

Also, did anyone else notice that Mike was yelling at Leonardo, like constantly?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

All the genesis music chat makes me want to try Gauntlet IV for the thread because goddamn son. I'll have to take a look this weekend and see if it was actually as hard as I remember, though. Probably not.

Also gently caress the last goddamned level of Ecco, I pity whoever (if anyone) decides to take on THAT particular challenge. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
gently caress YOU CONTRA I'M TAKIN' OVER with a much easier game

• Locked thread