Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
There's also custom levels that you can play if you want other challenges; one I played had zero checkpoints, and was incredibly fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
VVVVVV was released sometime in the last year or two, so I don't think release date has anything to do with it; older games just seem to be more quantifiably difficult…?

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
A maximum difficulty run of an FPS would be something I'd watch, for sure.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Huh; I always went for the lab first anyway. I think mostly because it's more or less straight down from the ship. Anyway, liking the videos; I'm assuming you're saving some of the more dastardly trinkets (I'm Sorry/Please Forgive Me, Veni Vidi Vici, etc.) for somewhere later down the line?

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Does anyone plan to play Pid? Apparently it's a very hard game, though I didn't find it that challenging myself, and I was considering doing something for it when its three months are up.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Oh, that GIF looks familiar; I think I know just what level that is.

Yep! So how many times did it take you to get the one you edited?

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

unpronounceable posted:

drat. How long did it take for you to get that? I can't count how many times I've gone through The Gravitron, but I still haven't managed a deathless run. I think the best I've done is 2 or 3 deaths.

Impressive stuff.

For a rough idea, watch the Mega Man 4 race Phiggle was in.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I bought N+ ages ago, but I could never get onboard with it that much, mainly due to not being able to see the entire screen at once. It always seemed like a crucial element that could (and did) easily screw one over.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I've never had much of a problem with the physics, though I think I recall N+ being even floatier; I never saw it as a precision platformer, though.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Takes No Damage posted:

Ah that takes me back. In 2007 I had a job that featured 1. a laptop and 2. frequent downtime. I kept N open pretty much all the time, and played it whenever I had a few minutes. It took the entire year, but I eventually worked my way through all 499 of the original levels (anyone who's done the same, you know what level I'm omitting).

Actually, I honestly don't remember the 500th level you're talking about. I completed it way too long ago to remember most of the levels.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

…Huh; don't ever think I had more trouble with that than any other level. If I recall correctly, it was actually the 50s column that I completed last, because something in there that was a complete brick wall made of mines.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

IGotMine posted:

But that's not the sort of game that I want to run through wine so I'll have to actually take a swing at it on another computer if I'm to be more specific as to why that level was so annoying

Doesn't N run on everything?

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Ah, so you're right. Shows how long it's been since I last played it. The N 2.0 beta is online nowadays, at least.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Agent355 posted:

When is that good ending for Malita Castle going to be up? I'm interested in watching somebody who's really good at the game just break it over his knee.

If you don't mind only watching at a sixth of the size, you can always check the race thread.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
And there's always Hypercam (assuming that'll work without any complications).

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Is Pid Hard?

Apparently, because that's all I could find being criticised about it when it came out. The difficulty curve is steeper than you'd expect, especially from the art style; it certainly gets quite challenging at parts, and the back half of the game is fairly demanding, fairly often. It was the hardest platformer I played last year; if the normal mode isn't enough for you, I'm also going to show off the hard mode, which I have, as of current writing, not yet completed.

So how's this gonna work?

I'll put up a video of each level on normal mode and the previous level on hard mode with each update. So just the one video now, and then the second level will have the first on hard, etc. The early hard mode levels have enemies from far later in the game, so if you want to see everything the game has to offer in order, you'll probably want to watch one all the way through, then the other.

Also, I suck at making banners, so you get your links in text form.

Normal Mode

01. The Castle Caves
02. The Attic
03. The Dining Halls
04. The Sitting Room
05. The Dormitory
06. The Library
07. Rooftop City
08. The Factory
09. The Workshop
10. Maze
11. The Kitchen
12. The Catacombs
13. Backstage
14. Stages
15. The Farms
16. Moon Thelma
17. The Stronghold
18. The Moon Centre

Hard Mode

01. The Castle Caves
02. The Attic
03. The Dining Halls
04. The Sitting Room
05. The Dormitory
06. The Library
07. Rooftop City
08. The Factory
09. The Workshop
10. The Workshop
11. The Kitchen
12. The Catacombs
13. Backstage
14. Stages
15. Easy Mode
16. Moon Thelma
17. Finale

Bonus

01. The Crook's Revenge
02. Ken's Komeback

Pid is available for a paltry $10 on Steam (Windows and OSX), and however much on PSN and XBLA. And for a further $10, you can get the deluxe version of the game from the game's website. You should totally get this game because it's awesome.

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jul 25, 2014

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

BottledBacon posted:

Love this so far, It's one of those games that just didn't really stand out enough for me to pick it up apparently, but I love what I see so far. How long is the game, tempting to pick it up on the PSN or steam if it's controller compatible.

It's perfectly (for me, results may vary, apparently) controller compatible; the only thing it has an issue with on that front is bad labelling of button names. The controller should default everything nicely, but if it doesn't, you need to set them yourself, and instead of "A, B, X, Y", it has "JB04, JB05, etc." or something similar for its button names. It's a little weird, but basically, as long as you know/remember what buttons will do what, you're fine.

As for length, my first playthrough shows a little under 10 hours, with just under 500 deaths, so take that as you will. Since the launch, they also added 72 (if I recall correctly) challenge rooms outside of the game (and the easy mode for the babies who criticised it for being too hard on release), which are loving brutal to get good times in. And the hard mode is another thing altogether; after I get a video for my other LP done, I'll be getting to the next one of this to show that, because the jump in difficulty is astounding.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Wanamingo posted:

This is from a few pages ago, but I just got around to watching it. So the kid fell asleep on the bus, got dropped off at the end of the line, and then discovered that the bus hasn't ran there in ages? Is that an obvious continuity error, am I misunderstanding something, or was he supposed to be riding a ghost bus?

That the driver dropped him off is, I'm pretty sure, an assumption on Kurt's part. I don't remember it ever being explicitly said whether something/something on the planet took him out of the bus like it would appear, but I always figured as much. I'm pretty sure that bus doesn't normally stop past the planet on its way to Whistleton, so he's now trying to get a different bus route.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Got distracted by things no one cares about; anyway, here's some more Pid.

02 - The Attic (Normal Mode)

01 - The Castle Caves (Hard Mode)

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Discendo Vox posted:

Jeez, Pid looks brutal in all sorts of fun ways. I have it sitting on Steam, but never started playing it. A couple questions before I throw myself into the pit:
  1. Is there any way to tell which enemies/white blocks drop stars?
  2. Sorry if I missed it, but is there any way to revisit areas to collect stars you missed?
  3. Is it possible that the erratic moth behavior is because they are effected by the beam, and can't move directly into it? That's what it looks like from the first hard mode video.

1. No, it's random, I'm pretty sure. It barely matters, though, you get so many stars naturally that you basically never want for them. There's no reward or necessity to get all of them, but certain placements of them, like the one underneath the turning block, or the ones in the "miniboss" room in the attic, are bonus platforming puzzles to acquire.

2. Nope; and that makes it really annoying to LP. I actually missed the spectacles secret constellation when I first recorded the attic, and to get another shot at it, I had to start over from the beginning to get back to the start of the attic.

3. No, you can see that when they have a clear line of sight to the beam, they go straight towards it; and it's like that in the area they're introduced in Normal Mode. It's occasionally weird in the caves on hard because it's such a closed area.

Hel posted:

I'm not sure I like how they did hard mode, I'm only basing this on your video since I haven't played it myself but the moth seem like an all around bad enemy, they are placed so that you need to deal with them but either killing them or luring them away takes a long time. Maybe it will change in the later levels but it seems like the new enemies/spike just make it a timing puzzle with only one solution.

It really doesn't take that long to get a moth out of the way or kill it. And I'm not sure I fully get what you mean by "a timing puzzle with only one solution".

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

SpookyTurtle posted:

Floaty controls and unreliable enemy AI didn't help matters much.

I never found the controls floaty; and I don't think I remember any inconsistent enemy AI getting me killed in normal mode. In the case of the blue chaser drones, I recognise that the AI certainly can be inconsistent, but I don't remember it being a problem for me.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Hel posted:

The spike placement limits you to one specific path, which you can only move on with a specific timing because of the enemies. Maybe it's the already cramped caves or maybe it plays differently than it appears.
I'll probably get it because on normal it looks like an ok game, so let me get back to you on this.

I think it's mainly because it's such a small path to follow to begin with. The game opens up at the dining halls, so I guess we'll find out together if it's as restrictive then. Still, I don't really have a problem with being asked to follow one specific path with good timing; that's basically what a platformer is, isn't it?

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Fragger posted:

Almost done with N+, my hands are happy about this

And once you finish with N+, you can do N v2.0, while you wait for N++!

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Color Printer posted:

Speaking of N v2.0, I'm glad the difficulty curve was changed to be more like N+, because the difficulty curve of the original N was all over the goddamn place. I mean, N+ jumps around a lot too, going by the videos, but N was just crazy.

I don't remember it jumping around that much in the original. I do need to replay it anyway, since I'm sure 2.0's physics model is way different to the original.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Fiendly posted:

I just thought the same thing myself the other day. The people have spoken!

gently caress. I've been found out. Working on it; life (that being the "things no one cares about" I mentioned in the last update) just decided to rear its ugly head, and the last two weeks I've gotten zero LP work done. I'll see if I can hammer something out this weekend.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Thursday is basically the same thing as the weekend, right?

More Pid.

02. The Attic (Hard Mode)

03. The Dining Halls (Normal Mode)

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Karate Bastard posted:

Refreshing aesthetics too.

If you look at the banner I posted for it, you can get a little glimpse of the visuals each area of the game has to offer. From memory, the only colour I would've liked to see a little more of was green, but it strikes a good balance between vibrant and subdued the whole way through.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

If I had to guess, I'd assume the reason Linebeck didn't hit that Koopa Trooper when he sprung up is because he was moving too fast for it to hit. I didn't look at it carefully or more than once, but it looked like on one frame, he was below the Koopa and on the next he was above the Koopa; and I'm assuming the game never bothered with Lerp (because why would you most of the time) so it never registers the hit.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Oh, don't mind me, I'm just gonna update that Pid LP I started…

Seven months ago. gently caress.

04. The Sitting Room (Normal Mode)

03. The Dining Halls (Hard Mode)

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Wait, what?

…Oh, goddammit; how do I miss that guy every single time?! Hold on.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Okay, that guy in the lower-right offshoot in the sitting room is at the top of this wall:

And he has this to say:

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Took longer than I'd have liked, but at least it wasn't as long as last time.

05. The Dormitory (Normal Mode)

04. The Sitting Room (Hard Mode)

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Discendo Vox posted:

Does the NPC behind the dispenser at around 8:20 in the dormitory have anything to say?

Lucky for me, I already tried talking to him in previous playthroughs; he does not. He just rips you off. Unless, of course, he were to say something after ripping you off. I wouldn't know, since I've never done so.

quote:

Also, are my requests to make you go back and recheck levels draining your soul?

Not as much as screwing up recording the sitting room the first time did (part of why there was a six month gap). Thankfully, since they put in an (insultingly) easy difficulty, it barely takes any time at all to steamroll through the rest of the game; to get back to the dormitory from the beginning in easy mode would be maybe 30 minutes.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Wow, gently caress Christmas. Anyway.

06. The Library (Normal Mode)

05. The Dormitory (Hard Mode)

And the NPC behind the expensive vending machine in the dormitory doesn't have anything to say. He just rips you off.

Also, screw getting it on Steam, if you're gonna buy Pid, get the deluxe edition from the game's website; comes with the soundtrack and a handful of other goodies, as well as a Steam code anyway!

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jan 4, 2014

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
The second-hardest of the three souvenirs is in the next section.

30 guesses as to how many minutes it took me, and the first 29 don't count. (although I had a very good reason for it)

I've been considering speedrunning the game, too…

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

The Casualty posted:

LPers from anywhere but here are giving the genre a bad name.

That's not entirely true; we've got an entire thread for the best (and worst) non-SA LPs, and there's been some good recommendations (as well as a lot of DSPchat).

Oh, side note: I've almost got the next Pid update ready, but there's been a heat wave recently that ends today, so I can't really afford to shut my door and turn my fan off to record commentary.

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 17, 2014

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Rooftop City is kind of annoying to record in a manner that shows everything (or, at least, it was before I realised that I could backup save files, which would have made doing this LP a lot easier eight months ago); I did my best, though.

And I'm not sure how I feel about the hard mode video for the Library, but I couldn't really think of much else to say. If people don't think it's that great, I'll redo the commentary.

07. Rooftop City (Normal Mode)

06. The Library (Hard Mode)

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

stars are basically pointless

So I'm guessing you didn't watch the newest hard mode video, then. And didn't you only play a couple of hours of it, anyway? It's not that misleading, especially since the game's website doesn't say it's a puzzle platformer at all.

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 22, 2014

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
While I understand the logic behind it coming from people who enjoyed (or, at least, were used to) harder games in the past, the argument that part of a game's design is bad because it allows people to skip parts of the game is one that I don't think holds a lot of water, either here or in more recent Nintendo games. For one thing, you still do need some modicum of skill to actually get from A to B. For another, there's nothing wrong with wanting to just do some basic platforming and see the sights; and in the end, nobody is forced to do it. You didn't want to use items to skip parts of the game and for all but one or two moments, neither did/do I; some people do want to use items to get past sections that are just too hard for them. It might make the stars largely pointless to players like us in terms of purchasing items, but you can still use them as a metagame, since a lot of the stars are placed at points that are tricky to traverse (rotating block over a spike pit in the attic, for example).

As for its genre… I hardly think it's the game's fault if other people think it's something it's not. I'm reminded of people playing any first-person puzzle game since Portal came out and immediately drawing parallels and comparisons to Portal, whether that was remotely fair towards the games or not. I thought the trailers for Pid showed quite a bit of how precise and technical you'd need to be in a lot of the levels. Yes, it is still harder than it looks; I don't have a problem with that, though. It might have hurt the game's reception, but I think it was worth it to maybe get people to think twice about writing off a game as one thing or another based solely on the art style.

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jan 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

BigLeafyTree posted:

That souvenir in the rain is a bastard, you can kind of see the platform's silhouette as your screen is moving but that's a hell of a thing to pull on the player.

In spite of how obtuse its hiding place is, there are actually bigger bastards of souvenirs. There's the hardest one in the game, which you'll see in…five updates, I'm fairly sure; there's one that, if you don't move fast enough, requires you to suicide on the screen you're on to get; and there's also the final souvenir, which you have about two seconds to pick up at most.

The secret constellations also get really mean at points, but more often than not, those are, at least, visible to the player.

• Locked thread