Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Update

We are Venom! In which I find far too much amusement in that Power Hit of his.

Dectilon, do I get to be in the OP yet? ;)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3523112&pagenumber=43#post415609071

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Venom has a spinning lariat, so clearly Venom is the superior character.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Believe me when I say this: in Shattered soldier, locking your position and locking your firing direction make poo poo a lot easier when you get the hang of it. Once you've done the levels a bajillion times you can go a hell of a lot faster once you're not trying to correct the jump you just made so you could fire diagonally, for instance.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.
Venom's swagger is great. He just strolls down the street like he doesn't give a gently caress.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Venom always rules in the video games.

Well, I never played the Spiderman 3 game, he probably sucked there. But still.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Venom in the Lethal Protector-era was so awesome. He was a loving maniac, but his heart was in the right place. :allears:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Can I just take a moment to thank everyone in this thread for all the awesome as hell videos + the great information/discussion?

This is the best thread LP's had in long time and bringing the whole community together like this in a single thread reminds me a lot of the LP-like-it's-2007 thread all over again. This is definitely my favorite thread of 2013 :) (yes I know it was posted in December, go gently caress yourself)

The huge uptick in content in the last few weeks really needed saying thanks. Please keep up the good poo poo guys!

kaiten80
Oct 31, 2012

beep by grandpa posted:

Can I just take a moment to thank everyone in this thread for all the awesome as hell videos + the great information/discussion?

This is the best thread LP's had in long time and bringing the whole community together like this in a single thread reminds me a lot of the LP-like-it's-2007 thread all over again. This is definitely my favorite thread of 2013 :) (yes I know it was posted in December, go gently caress yourself)

The huge uptick in content in the last few weeks really needed saying thanks. Please keep up the good poo poo guys!

You know what....what this guy said. If I only check one thread every day, it's gonna be this one. There's been a lot of great content in this thread, and some great discussion about what makes hard games great (or terrible, respectively.) It's got me going back and taking a second crack at games from my youth that broke me, Batman-like, over their knees.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

DeathChicken posted:

Update

Those 10-second title cards at the start of levels are skippable.

Ragny
Feb 29, 2012

I WANT YOU
FOR XCOM ARMY
Hey everyone, I'll have more Earthworm Jim videos for you soon but right now I replayed an old short game I really like.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

beep by grandpa posted:

No you may not take a moment, because this, the best LP thread is far from over in my eyes!

Yeah, what he said, this thread is awesome, but only because of how awesome all of you are.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Ragny posted:

Hey everyone, I'll have more Earthworm Jim videos for you soon but right now I replayed an old short game I really like.

Anyone else look at the picture and see our main character as the guy from The Fool tarot card?

Enilev
Jun 11, 2001

Domesticated

Ragny posted:

About version differences: What's neat is that the game runs in a virtual machine. To port it to another system, they just had to write a new virtual machine for the platform, instead of having to do any work on the game itself. That's why it's ported to everything. I think that means it should be identical between all versions, save quality of graphics, music, and sound effects. But maybe timing differences somehow mess the gameplay up slightly.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

DeathChicken posted:

Update

Dectilon, do I get to be in the OP yet? ;)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3523112&pagenumber=43#post415609071

I swear this game only has like, two frames of animation for everything :allears: It's so delightfully janky

Fragger
Aug 21, 2010
Almost done with N+, my hands are happy about this

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

With all the Contra games getting played I'm reminded of Contra Rebirth on the Wii, was that any good?

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Fragger posted:

Almost done with N+, my hands are happy about this

And once you finish with N+, you can do N v2.0, while you wait for N++!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

"So the levels are gonna start getting really tricky...right now. *loads next level* Okay! This level's really easy!"

The N I remember playing on my computer had a lot more levels based on lasers and machineguns. It's kind of weird to see most of the robots be drones, floor sweepers, and missile launchers.

Fragger
Aug 21, 2010

frozentreasure posted:

Well there is an entire section called "N+ Expert Challenge" with 10 more episodes . . .

:negative:

Zellus
Apr 3, 2010

Incompetence surrounds me!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

With all the Contra games getting played I'm reminded of Contra Rebirth on the Wii, was that any good?

I like it. It's a fun tribute to the 16-bit era Contra games while also trying to be its own thing. While it's a little on the short side with only five levels, it takes about as long to finish as a typical Contra game (around 30 minutes), so it's not a big deal.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Fragger, what was happening to your scarf in name of the rose at ~10:30? did it get caught up in the scenery somehow?

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Remember that thou wast a servant in the land of LP, and that the Lord thy Master brought thee out thence through mighty balls and a stretched out dive.
Dectilon 5:15

kaiten80 posted:

You know what....what this guy said. If I only check one thread every day, it's gonna be this one. There's been a lot of great content in this thread, and some great discussion about what makes hard games great (or terrible, respectively.) It's got me going back and taking a second crack at games from my youth that broke me, Batman-like, over their knees.

This is pretty much what I was hoping would happen! :)

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

frozentreasure posted:

Speaking of N v2.0, I'm glad the difficulty curve was changed to be more like N+, because the difficulty curve of the original N was all over the goddamn place. I mean, N+ jumps around a lot too, going by the videos, but N was just crazy.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Remember that thou wast a servant in the land of LP, and that the Lord thy Master brought thee out thence through mighty balls and a stretched out dive.
(link in the image)

Level thoughs

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Color Printer posted:

Speaking of N v2.0, I'm glad the difficulty curve was changed to be more like N+, because the difficulty curve of the original N was all over the goddamn place. I mean, N+ jumps around a lot too, going by the videos, but N was just crazy.

I don't remember it jumping around that much in the original. I do need to replay it anyway, since I'm sure 2.0's physics model is way different to the original.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I think that whatever its claimed plot, Shattered Soldier is actually all about fetishizing robot torture and dismemberment.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Update

Super short one. Shriek, Doppleganger, Carnage (not really) and a surprisingly obtrusive tree.

Also, sweet limburger but Doppleganger is adorable in that cutscene.

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 23, 2013

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

It's kind of weird that this game is based on maximum carnage, a storyline in which carnage and a bunch of other lunatics roams around the city killing people indiscriminately and even using psychic influence to make people start killing each other. The graphics are super-cartoony and the enemies so far have been hipsters and thugs from 1960s spider-man.

SnakemanMn
Apr 1, 2013

"What is green, slimy, and smells like bacon?"

DeathChicken posted:

Update

Super short one. Shriek, Doppleganger, Carnage (not really) and a surprisingly obtrusive tree.

Oh my god, the Doppelganger looks so excited to see whoever that is in the next cutscene. :sun:

Also, are you sure that the fight against Doppel and Shriek works in the way you described? I see that you mentioned that the game takes over and knocks you down, but you said that it does this when you eventually beat one of them, and neither of their healthbars looked especially close to being empty. I'm guessing it does that when you get one of them down to just a quarter of their health, then?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Yeah, the game counts storyline bosses as 'beaten' when they've lost enough health. You can see the cutscene letterboxes appear as soon as I punch Shriek at 1:00.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

DeathChicken posted:

Update

I love that the artists decided that Pete wears bear claw slippers when he's chilling at home.

Allmightybob
Jun 22, 2004

I'm not saying that I'm Batman. I'm just saying that... Oh, wait, yes I am. Yes, I'm Batman.

Let's Play Ironsword: Wizards and Warriors 2!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ecco the Dolphin part X: Why I'm not playing the sequel

The first several levels of Ecco 2 on hard mode until I run into a new kind of hell. Lots of weird poo poo happens and the last 3 minutes are nothing but dying.

The death reel will come after I either find a program that doesn't choke and die when scrolling backward using Kega Fusion's hosed up codec or get around to transcoding 100 videos totaling nearly 6 hours of footage just so I can get started.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 24, 2013

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
Oh, so that's what I was doing wrong all those years ago: trying to actually kill the enemies. Silly younger me...I should have just welcomed death.

You made bouncing around on those clouds look easy. I guess it helps a lot to actually know where you're going and what you're supposed to be doing. Sliding is the worst in this game. Sliding down the mountain, sliding down the clouds. "Slide slide slide, die" sums up my Ironsword experience.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Cool, an early Rare game. Looks like it's precisely no fun to play, so I'm glad I missed it as a kid and glad I get to see it now without having to touch the drat thing. It really does have some slick animation, but our hero looked cooler without a helmet.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.
Wait, but in the commercial the dude was a barbarian but in the game he's a knight? What devilry is this?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

On the boxart, he's Fabio. Really.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Wow, Super Adventure Box didn't crib from that commercial at all.

In other news, I've had a remix of music from this game for ages, but I've never played the actual game. And now I'm kinda glad I never did, too hard for my tastes.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

Ecco the Dolphin part X: Why I'm not playing the sequel

The first several levels of Ecco 2 on hard mode until I run into a new kind of hell. Lots of weird poo poo happens and the last 3 minutes are nothing but dying.
Aquaria, a game heavily inspired by Ecco had it's own take on the platforming. On the plus side, Naija could hang onto rocks instead of just bouncing off. But the ice cave's floating water bubbles were as annoying as those pillars seem to be. There were no flying psychokinetic super dolphins from the future, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

What does getting a game over in Iron Sword actually do?

• Locked thread