Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GmanTheTank
Feb 25, 2013

Enough expository banter! It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men!

:siren: Checking out the characters.

Contra Force is a run-and-gun-style shoot-'em-up video game released by Konami for the Nintendo Entertainment System in 1992 in North America only. It is a spin-off of the Contra series and the third game in the series released for the NES. In contrast to previous Contra titles, which featured sci-fi elements, Contra Force centers around a modern task force who must fight human terrorists instead.

Aside from the name, Contra Force has little in common with other games in the Contra series. The familiar weapon pickups have been replaced by a Gradius style upgrade system that includes 2 unique weapons for each of the 4 characters. Contra Force also allows the you to switch between the characters at any time, which can be very handy when one is low on lives. It also includes a very barebones allied AI by allowing you to assign one of the 3 unused characters a formation command, though it only lasts a short duration and it's pretty incompetent.

So what's the difficulty like?

While not as fast and frantic as Contra or Contra 3, Contra Force relies more on enemy placement and platforming, resulting in a fairly high difficulty.

Are you going to speed-run it or what?

No, but I will beat it without dying. I also plan on showcasing each character in a separate video.

MORE CONTRA!?

Yes, more Contra. They're good, they're difficult, they're great for this thread.

GmanTheTank fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GmanTheTank
Feb 25, 2013

Enough expository banter! It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men!

homeless poster posted:

In the video you said that the game was running super slow but it wasn't the recording software causing it. Are you sure about that? I played this on my old NES as a kid and I don't remember the game running at 10 FPS. I'm pretty such much of the challenge is gone when the game is running at 1/3 speed. If it isn't the recording software, might it be the emulator settings you're using?

It's not the recording software because it runs s;ow;y even when I run my practice rounds. I had the opposite experience, if I remember correctly, because I don't remember it running much faster on my old NES.

I'll try to mess with the settings to see what happens, though.

GmanTheTank
Feb 25, 2013

Checking out the characters.

Fixed the aspect ratio and tried to boost the fps - much better quality.

Dectilon posted:

Never mind, Phiggle helped me get it working reasonably well.

So, here's Level 1 of Contra Hard Corps.

This game looks ridiculous and awesome; I'm excited to see what some of the crazy boss designs are like.

GmanTheTank fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Apr 28, 2013

GmanTheTank
Feb 25, 2013

SpookyTurtle posted:

So Sherlock Holmes resolved to thwart Zoda-X's heist at the museum, but had no problem with Mike Jones, Time-Traveling Teen, taking the same Tetrad. Welp!

Maybe Sherlock Holmes is actually Zoda-W and is setting an overly elaborate James Bond trap for Mike.

Or the developers gave no shits.

GmanTheTank
Feb 25, 2013

I don't like Camtasia. Only one more video, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GmanTheTank
Feb 25, 2013

Look at me finally being competent.

Captain Bravo posted:

Slowbeef, we need you to do the robot playthrough of Hard Corps! You're the only one we can count on!

I second this! Slowbeef, you need to continue showing us all up with Contra games.

• Locked thread