Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

The Man with a Hat posted:

As I understand it, Burton wasn't a huge comic book fan, as he had difficulty reading the format. He liked The Killing Joke, though - particularly the idea that Batman and the Joker were equally twisted in different ways. It wasn't steeped too deeply in the comic mythos, but Burton used the film to explore how the characters worked, and what he thought they could represent. (You have a very good point, though - I've changed the phrasing a bit to explain better.)

If you've lived in the US, you don't really have to have ever read a comic book to get the gist of who Batman is. Anyway, I really like your extra facts and hope you keep it up throughout the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Dectilon posted:

Never mind, Phiggle helped me get it working reasonably well.

So, here's Level 1 of Contra Hard Corps.

FYI there's a legit safe spot right under the eye of that giant robot that jumps in from the background in the first level. If you stand centered right under the red eye, the fire columns will completely miss you, and since you're firing straight up into his face you deal fast enough damage that he doesn't even get to the car throwing move.

I think FANG is my favorite character because his moves are so damaging and as long as you stick to the flame thrower or the spread gun for non-bosses, he clears the screen for most of the game. Definitely takes some getting used to when fighting bosses though, because like you said, the fire punch and the hadoken punch both root you in one spot. On the other hand, if you know where the safe spots are for each boss, his weapons deal so much damage that you can take them down pretty quickly.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

In the video you said that the game was running super slow but it wasn't the recording software causing it. Are you sure about that? I played this on my old NES as a kid and I don't remember the game running at 10 FPS. I'm pretty such much of the challenge is gone when the game is running at 1/3 speed. If it isn't the recording software, might it be the emulator settings you're using?

HGH posted:

Problem is that Fang is really, really tall. It makes it rather hard to avoid some attacks you previously would have had no trouble with.
Browny, by comparison, is by far the easiest character not only because of how short he is, but also because he gets two homing weapons with absurd power compared to the others.

Anyway, I say we go to help the Research Center because we can't be letting those villains get their hands on...uh... research material. Yeah, that stuff.

You'd think that, but I actually played through the game last night on a lark with everyone talking about it in this thread, using FANG, and his sprite still avoids attacks that might seem like they should clip him. For example in one path you wind up going through an infinite hallway fighting a robot boss that has several different forms, and at one point the robot is crawling on the ground and firing a steady stream of missiles at you. If you cling to the ceiling and hang at the back edge of the screen (so the scrolling of the screen is moving you) the rockets can only go so high, and it looks like they're colliding with FANG's feet, but you don't take a hit.

There's other things too where it looks like something should collide with his sprite, but for whatever reason it doesn't register. Brownie is definitely shorter, but I almost feel like there's some kind of sprite equivalency going on where despite how tall they're drawn, the characters are all the same real height.

Freaking Crumbum fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Apr 27, 2013

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

dis astranagant posted:

UPDATE

Kind of a tutorial for a wide array of things that will kill you. Nothing too bad once you know what you're doing but I was just a wee lad when this horror came into the world.

I appreciate you playing through a game I never actually saw as a kid, but is there any chance that you can trim up what you're actually uploading? I know the first video said that you were doing the run semi-blind (whatever that means) but I think that it's more interesting to watch someone in this thread completely bend these hard games over their knee, as opposed to watching what looks like a bunch of backtracking and health farming and etc.

On the other hand I never played this game so maybe what you're doing is how the game is played. I feel like it'd only make your videos stronger if you were able to trim them down to one successful run, rather than the extra wandering around that seems to happen.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

DeathChicken posted:

Update

Super short one. Shriek, Doppleganger, Carnage (not really) and a surprisingly obtrusive tree.

Also, sweet limburger but Doppleganger is adorable in that cutscene.

I love that the artists decided that Pete wears bear claw slippers when he's chilling at home.

• Locked thread