Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Fluffs McCloud posted:

So after a 13 year stint without a TV, I've decided I want one again. A lot has changed in the interim, and the marketing jargon is pretty beyond me. So, here are the three potentials I'm at right now:

https://www.amazon.com/Hisense-65-Inch-Quantum-Hand-Free-65H9G/dp/B087FDSRV9?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

It's a model from a couple years ago I guess, but still seems like a good TV/higher end Hisense offering. Seems like it's got a full back light array, rather than edge lit, but I don't know if that really matters.

https://www.amazon.com/Hisense-Premium-65-inch-Quantum-65U7H/dp/B0B7CRNW2Z?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

Newer model, less premium I guess, I don't understand these things very well.

https://www.amazon.com/LG-65-Inch-Refresh-AI-Powered-65QNED80UQA/dp/B09RNDCH8X?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

I can swing the extra hundred bucks if this TV will be a noticeable improvement. LG seems like they make a better lasting product, but who knows?

I narrowed it down to these badboys hoping I wouldn't have to deal with the generally overwhelming number of choices out there, but I guess if it's no more than 900 bucks and would be a better bet in the 65 inch range, let me know what I'm missing?

Probably the Hisense U7H. It's got all the same gaming features as the LG from what I can tell and has been getting pretty good reviews online from what I've seen. LG makes great OLEDs but their LED TVs are a lot more iffy IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

If you haven’t had a tv for a long time, you’d honestly be very impressed with just a TCL 4 series. Don’t sweat the details too much. Even cheap tvs are pretty comparable to most people. I’d go for the Hisense between those choices.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Oct 12, 2022

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

How do you guys feel about bias lighting and oleds? I did a bit of research and ordered the medialights mk2 6500k lights in preparation for my a80j, but I've never used them before.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Google Butt posted:

How do you guys feel about bias lighting and oleds? I did a bit of research and ordered the medialights mk2 6500k lights in preparation for my a80j, but I've never used them before.

My understanding is that they exist to increase perceived contrast, as it will make the blacks of the television appear deeper. You can't get blacker blacks than the OLED has already, so the bias lighting is sorta pointless.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

tetrapyloctomy posted:

My understanding is that they exist to increase perceived contrast, as it will make the blacks of the television appear deeper. You can't get blacker blacks than the OLED has already, so the bias lighting is sorta pointless.

Really? I was under the impression that the perceived increase in contrast was a secondary benefit to reduced eye fatigue, which is a result of allowing lower the overall brightness of the OLED while maintaining said contrast.. at least that's what medialights blog says.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Google Butt posted:

Really? I was under the impression that the perceived increase in contrast was a secondary benefit to reduced eye fatigue, which is a result of allowing lower the overall brightness of the OLED while maintaining said contrast.. at least that's what medialights blog says.

They're probably a better source than me, Random Man On The Internet.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I really like my Medialights, though I put them up at the same time I installed my CX so can't really compare to not having them.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I vastly prefer watching content with a warm dim lamp on behind my TV than in a pitch black room unless I really turn the brightness down which has made bias lighting my next TV to-do.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Fluffs McCloud posted:

So after a 13 year stint without a TV, I've decided I want one again. A lot has changed in the interim, and the marketing jargon is pretty beyond me. So, here are the three potentials I'm at right now:

https://www.amazon.com/Hisense-65-Inch-Quantum-Hand-Free-65H9G/dp/B087FDSRV9?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

It's a model from a couple years ago I guess, but still seems like a good TV/higher end Hisense offering. Seems like it's got a full back light array, rather than edge lit, but I don't know if that really matters.

https://www.amazon.com/Hisense-Premium-65-inch-Quantum-65U7H/dp/B0B7CRNW2Z?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/LG-65-Inch-Refresh-AI-Powered-65QNED80UQA/dp/B09RNDCH8X?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

I can swing the extra hundred bucks if this TV will be a noticeable improvement. LG seems like they make a better lasting product, but who knows?

I narrowed it down to these badboys hoping I wouldn't have to deal with the generally overwhelming number of choices out there, but I guess if it's no more than 900 bucks and would be a better bet in the 65 inch range, let me know what I'm missing?

Fluffs McCloud posted:

The 65" Hisense u8h on Best Buy is being permanently lowered to $1000, and has even better hd performance, that'd be the one I'd save up for.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Is it true that the Sony Bravia TVs just really aren’t great for gaming?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

In what way? I think mine is pretty great. My only complaint is that internal apps run at 60fps, so if you want to use Moonlight at 120, you have to get a Shield or whatever (and 4k120 just straight-up isn't possible to stream yet).

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The issue with VRR was patched and works fine now, though it takes a little bit more menuing than is ideal. It doesn't have some of the bells and whistles that LG's OLEDs do but in terms of function it's more or less on par

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

It just seems to be a reoccurring theme in video reviews that Sony TVs require more loving around to calibrate gaming properly. Everyone says get a Samsung or LG but I hate the new Tizen using it at the store and also I want Dolby vision. I also want a mini-LED and LG only has one 2022 model out and it’s their mid range one. No X95K equivalent yet.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It just seems to be a reoccurring theme in video reviews that Sony TVs require more loving around to calibrate gaming properly. Everyone says get a Samsung or LG but I hate the new Tizen using it at the store and also I want Dolby vision. I also want a mini-LED and LG only has one 2022 model out and it’s their mid range one. No X95K equivalent yet.

The biggest annoyance (that I've noticed) is that you need to toggle Dolby Vision and VRR on the TV side of things if you plan on using a console for 4K disc playback. Other than that just slap it into Game mode and you should be set

If you're not getting an OLED I don't know that most people would recommend a Samsung or LG over a Sony, though, unless cost is your main driver

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Cost isn’t the issue I’m just a brightness snob.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

LG and Sony use the same OLED panels and OLED is fire. With HDR content in a dark room, OLED can get plenty bright - enough to be uncomfortable.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Yeah but I have a bright room.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Cost isn’t the issue I’m just a brightness snob.

Sony has a very expensive MiniLED. Go nuts.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Well yeah I know. But that goes back to my original point about it’s apparent inferiority for gaming.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Just get the Samsung QN90B, it gets brighter, it has slightly lower input lag and it's on sale at Amazon right now this minute

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Well yeah I know. But that goes back to my original point about it’s apparent inferiority for gaming.
That's just the "Sony processor clearer for movies, LG more versatile and works for games better" but honestly you really have to be looking for it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yeah but I have a bright room.

How bright? Like outside?

FilthyImp posted:

That's just the "Sony processor clearer for movies, LG more versatile and works for games better" but honestly you really have to be looking for it.

I think this is the answer - all TVs today are Very Good (TM) and the differences are in the margins. I'm spoiled as gently caress by OLEDs but you'll likely be happy with just about anything on the market as long as it has HDMI 2.1 and VRR.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Where are you hearing this? Rtings gives it an 8.5 for gaming, it has HDMI 2.1 120hz VRR and G-Sync. The only thing it seems to be missing is FreeSync for very specific use-cases. Seems fine for gaming to me.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The "Good for film" stuff is likely that they tuned the image processor to smooth out panning sequences and minimize judder.

That's the one drawback to OLED I can see.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I see the new 4K Apple TVs can be had for ~$100 now and at that price I can 100% endorse them. The retail price is way over what it's worth, but with discounts is absolutely worth it for pain free setup.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

LorneReams posted:

I see the new 4K Apple TVs can be had for ~$100 now and at that price I can 100% endorse them. The retail price is way over what it's worth, but with discounts is absolutely worth it for pain free setup.

i already have a roku stick thing that fits in the back of my tv. is there any reason i should move to the appletv? i hate siri and i don't really know of any games on it that are worthwhile.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
If you're in the Apple ecosystem it's cool.

I think a lot of Apple stuff streams at UHD.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Is it true that the Sony Bravia TVs just really aren’t great for gaming?

I got one of these for around $700 and I had to work a bit to get the settings just right. The color in the gaming mode is off until you make adjustments but if you pick any other picture mode you get significant input lag. I haven't bought a TV in 10 years so it's probably user error on my part more than anything lol.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Aside from having two HDMI 2.1 ports instead of four, for most people the only appreciable difference in gaming on a Sony OLED is that the feature that dims the screen when bright elements are detected is undefeatable, and static logos or HUD elements can sometimes set it off.

This is in contrast to LG, who allow only the logos to be dimmed instead of the entire screen, and also allow the users to turn off the protective dimming entirely (at risk of voiding your warranty).

Next year’s Sonys will have a new processor that’ll probably eliminate every other relevant difference for gaming other than the dimming.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Vargatron posted:

I got one of these for around $700 and I had to work a bit to get the settings just right. The color in the gaming mode is off until you make adjustments but if you pick any other picture mode you get significant input lag. I haven't bought a TV in 10 years so it's probably user error on my part more than anything lol.

This is true of basically every TV though. You're supposed to game in Gaming mode to turn off unnecessary features that cause lag. It's not an exclusive Sony Bravia issue.

qbert fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 12, 2022

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

AppleTV has the most versatile output options (match framerate, match dynamic range) and has the highest performance out of all the streamers due to it being overkill in the processor department.

It also still doesn't bitstream Dolby Digital and out of all my streaming devices (Chromecast with Google TV, Shield TV, Roku Ultra, LG Web OS) I've had to manually close apps and reboot the thing the most to get it to latch on to a higher bandwidth stream. The OS is buggy as poo poo and I honestly only tolerate it for the general UI performance and the set and forget output.

I really enjoyed the Atmos audio stream on my Apple TV dropping out when watching an AppleTV+ show from the AppleTV+ application during pivotal moments of Severance.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

qbert posted:

This is true of basically every TV though. You're supposed to game in Gaming mode to turn off unnecessary features that cause lag. It's not an exclusive Sony Bravia issue.

I just don't know why they enable all the framerate smoothing stuff by default. It never looks good even in films or TV. I guess I'm not the target demographic for it.

oblongus
Sep 2, 2011
A 55" LG C2 oled is an insanely extravagant purchase and by far the biggest TV I've had access to. Which film should we watch on Saturday? What settings should I enable/disable so it looks right? First world problems right

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Vargatron posted:

I just don't know why they enable all the framerate smoothing stuff by default. It never looks good even in films or TV. I guess I'm not the target demographic for it.
Because it does actually look decent with a lot of sports, which are a huge driver of TV sales, and there are a lot of idiots out there who need to see their 120Hz TV doing *something* to a 60Hz picture to make them feel like it's "working". The people who actually care about this generally know it's a thing that can be turned off.

Kinda the same thing as setting the colors to "pop" by default rather than an accurate calibration. It's at least believed to help sell TVs to the less informed and it doesn't prevent sales to the people who care about good colors. That's a net positive to a company who's trying to sell more TVs.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

oblongus posted:

A 55" LG C2 oled is an insanely extravagant purchase and by far the biggest TV I've had access to. Which film should we watch on Saturday? What settings should I enable/disable so it looks right? First world problems right

If you're looking for accuracy then just switch to Filmmaker mode.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

oblongus posted:

Anything with dust effects and highlights that pop, like Fury Road, Bladerunner 2049, and Dune, or lots of motion, like Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, Force Awakens, or Rogue One. Amazon's Neil Gaiman stuff is all good too. Amazon's The Tick if you deliberately want to see the sets break the uncanny valley/suspension of disbelief in every scene (it's also pretty funny). Top Gun Maverick/1917 for all the live practical effects. BBC Earth's Africa might be the best documentary they've ever shot. Almost anything pixar has done in the last five years.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 13, 2022

oblongus
Sep 2, 2011

qbert posted:

If you're looking for accuracy then just switch to Filmmaker mode.

Easy enough, ta

Mister Facetious posted:

Anything with dust effects and highlights that pop, like Fury Road, Bladerunner 2049, and Dune, or lots of motion, like Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, Force Awakens, or Rogue One. Amazon's Neil Gaiman stuff is all good too. Amazon's The Tick if you deliberately want to see the sets break the uncanny valley/suspension of disbelief in every scene (it's also pretty funny). Top Gun Maverick/1917 for all the live practical effects. BBC Earth's Africa might be the best documentary they've ever shot. Almost anything pixar has done in the last five years.

Very good ideas, thanks. Recent films are probably best for 4K and I never saw fury road in cinemas (unlike BR2049 and Dune), that has to be the winner

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

oblongus posted:

Easy enough, ta

Very good ideas, thanks. Recent films are probably best for 4K and I never saw fury road in cinemas (unlike BR2049 and Dune), that has to be the winner

Fury Road is definitely in my top five of all time these days. Just one of those rare "perfect films".

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Fury Road was the first one I watched on my CX, Dune and BR2049 weren't far behind. Maverick is definitely on that list now too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

oblongus posted:

Apollo 11