Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

veedubfreak posted:

I plug my pc directly in to the tv. Works like a charm at 4k. All my stuff goes into the tv then exits the tv via s/pdif cable to the receiver.

What exactly does ARC do anyway?

clicky click

Supposed to send audio back from the TV to the receiver over the HDMI cable used to connect the two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

sellouts posted:

Counterpoint: even a $50 Vizio sound bar notably improves sound over almost every tv I've ever heard.

This. Speakers are installed in TVs because they have to be, but anyone that's serious about home theater is using a soundbar or surround sound setup.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer

The Duck of Death posted:

Rtings gives it a 9 for 1080 and an 8 for 720

Pretty sure they do that for every 4K tv they've reviewed.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer

uwaeve posted:

Couldn't find a better thread for this question.

I'm about to open up a wall I'm mounting the 65" KS8000 on, and would like to hear anything I should be pulling while I have the chance.

A pull string.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

might be too big.

I think you just lost about 95% of the thread.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

What's the best TV I can get for about $500?

I have a receiver and home theater setup so I don't care about any audio features on the tv, it's just going to get HDMI output from the receiver. I also don't game on it. Its for watching TV, plus Fire TV, blue ray, etc. all of which are plugged into the receiver and not the TV. I don't care about 3D.

I probably wont be mounting it to a wall.

Higher def and better picture would be ideal. I don't upgrade frequently so if this TV can last me 8+ years that would be nice. I have no brand loyalty. I am willing to wait a week to get a better deal or whatever. I'm in California, if that matters for sales tax reasons or something.

As an aside, the OP was last updated in October 2013...

This should be a good starting point.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer
They've given me discounts before with the stipulation that they would really like me to purchase the extended warranty. In every case, the cost after the warranty was still cheaper than every other legitimate vendor.

But I'm also in there at least once a week for work purchases. It's all in who you know.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Don't buy a 4K or Blu-ray player that's about to be discontinued, unless you never want to watch discs released after the manufacturer ceases production.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer

poisonpill posted:

If you buy a tv from one of these places, how likely will the tv be to last for years and be normal? How would you even tell?

You just won't get the price and/or product you're promised. See Abe's of Maine.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer
No they'll just tell you you have to pay for extra safe shipping that adds $500 to the price or whatever.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Fedule posted:

"Known" is disputable.

What is known is that a lot of people with various Samsung TVs and specifically PS4 Pros are seeing an issue which appears to them to be the same. There isn't a very good analogue for the PS4 Pro to test against on the same TV. The release of the PS4 Pro was fraught with glitches and compatibility issues with 4K and HDR displays, especially, it turned out, due to HDCP. These issues have been getting patched, one by one, both by Sony and by manufacturers figuring poo poo out (Vizio notably did this a lot specifically for the PS4 Pro). Samsung, meanwhile, have been a wall of silence on the matter, and have not acknowledged the issue nor offered any advice. One probably-overworked moderator on their forums has "referred" various people's concerns to nobody-is-quite-sure-exactly-who. That thread is a mess of some guys saying he heard from a guy who heard from a guy who said changing some specific system setting or using some specific cable solved it, that it would be tested, and never returning. Some of these people say they contacted Samsung, and some of those talk about having main board replacements, and some of those say they no longer have the problem. Others say Samsung won't offer them any help. Nobody has offered any technical explanation with anything resembling a compelling case. No particular thing that I have tried has fixed it for me, save for the option that cripples non-HDR content.

I don't know what the hell to make of any of it. I got the flicker again with the AmazonBasic cable as I was typing this, after an hour of display time and just as I was daring to think this might have actually fixed it. I just wanted to play some videogames with prettier colours.

I came here to solicit some advice from a subject-matter-knowledgeable corner of the internet, who I trust more than the totality of people who come to Samsung's website to bitch (albeit justified) at a moderator to know what they are talking about. Nobody on the Samsung thread provided any discussion of specific cables other than vague references to "good" ones, for example.

I've got a KS8000 with a Pro. Is this issue supposed to be affecting a large number/all users? I've never had a problem but my settings might be jacked up.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Don Lapre posted:

You should return your tv until you get one with the problem.

That sounds like a good and cool plan, yes

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer

BonoMan posted:

Or maybe he's dumb and thinks attics are basements and basements are attics.

Man that'd be funny.

It's an Australian house built in the US.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer

KingKapalone posted:

How are they able to sell these for so cheap and why would they? Never heard of them so not like they're pushing a lot of volume to make up for the lower margin.

Because now you've heard of them.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I bought a floor model 55" B6 to use since Harvey ate my 65" KS8000 One Connect box and the wall to which the TV was attached is now in a county landfill.

OLED is the future. All the other manufacturers should just shut it down. I'm trying to justify replacing a perfectly good 65" LCD with a smaller screen where before I was thinking the 65" was too small. OLED is just that good.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I put a Hue lightstrip I got for cheap behind my tv and loved it. I just changed the color to whatever I felt like, but usually left it on a pretty dim glow that approximated candlelight. It was nice.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer

5 Second Poser posted:

I got an extended warranty offer from LG in the mail for my C6P. Wondering what the consensus around here is on these warranties. Part of me is fearful of something breaking on my beautiful OLED, while another part of me doesn't want to drop $800 on a 3 year warranty (or even $100 for just an additional year). I've had my TV since January, and I'd say the usage is 10-20 hours a week on average comprised of TV/movies and some gaming. I'm pretty sure I have an extended warranty from my credit card, so that gives me a year on top of what I decide to do.

So do you guys feel like the LG extended warranty is worthwhile or should I not waste the money?

The manufacturer of your tv is betting you $800 that you will need to spend less than $800 on repairs for that tv for the next three years.

Edit: LG is the company that bought a guy a brand new tv after it broke out of warranty.

https://consumerist.com/2009/09/04/lg-electronics-offers-customer-amazing-service-on-broken-plasma-tv/

Variable 5 fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 13, 2017

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Waltzing Along posted:

I could have sworn this thread was being updated and had recommendations in the OP. But I see that hasn't been done in four years. Earlier this year I saw a thread that did have those recs. Is there another TV thread somewhere?

rtings.com

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Waltzing Along posted:

No, it was here on the forums somewhere. I remember it because the Samsung KS9000 (or something like that) was recommended for gaming.

rtings.com

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Waltzing Along posted:

I've never been to rtings.com so that's not where I read this. :p

What exactly are you looking for? The KS was last year’s model.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer

the good fax machine posted:

Costco will have the 55” LG for $1649 and the 65” for $2649 during November 17-27. I’d hoped it would be just a little bit lower, but I’ll probably bite.

You can get the 65” B7 from Best Buy right now for $2599.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Waltzing Along posted:

What's the difference between the B7 and the C7?

From rtings.com:

quote:

The B7P is a warehouse exclusive model, so the C7 is the mass market successor to the B6. There is also a new B7A version which is available via more traditional retailers. This version is similar to the C7P except for the stand and the tiny bezel which are black, and it is missing the Dolby Atmos compatibility.

Update: Some B7A owners are reporting that the TV does support Dolby Atmos via pass through. It seems the difference may only be in its capacity to play Dolby Atmos via internal speakers, as the B7A only have a 2.0 setup instead of a 2.2 setup for the B7P.

Update: There is also a B7V in Europe which is very similar to the B7A just with a different stand.

Edit: the picture quality on every 2017 LG OLED is identical; they only differ in things like mounts and speakers and whatnot. The LG and the Sony OLED are virtually identical as well; there are incredibly minor differences in HDR highlights and motion processing. LG makes the panels for both brands.

Variable 5 fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Nov 5, 2017

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Basically just redirect this thread to rtings.com is I guess where I’m going with this :v:

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

Yeah pretty much. Newegg had the B7 65” for 2150.

A seller on NewEgg had it for $2150.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Just bought the 65” B7 from Best Buy. :saddowns:

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer

sellouts posted:

Expensive if you pay retail

This is worded to seem like you’ve found a workaround....

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

Holy gently caress is this X900E better at motion. It handles all the various provider apps and their hosed up framerates and manages to deliver what appears to native cadence with no SOE. 60fps, 30fps, it doesn't matter. I sniffs out that 5:5 cadence and delivers. Right out of the box (on Cinema Pro.). Impressive as poo poo.

I may seriously have to consider a Sony OLED somewhere down the line.

:ughh: drat it, I just picked up the B7. Now I’m seriously contemplating returning it for the A1E and just holding off on replacing my audio system for a few months and using my Sonos Playbar in the meantime.

It’s only a $1,200 difference :suicide:

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer
A new thread should just point to rtings.com

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Zero VGS posted:

is in 4K HDR

What

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Don Dongington posted:

I'm doing an in-wall HDMI run of about 10 metres/33Ft, and would like it to be forward compatible with a future 4K/HDR setup - I'm trying to determine whether I'm fine to just grab a generic HDMI2.0 cable, or whether I require an amplified/boosted cable or something.

Google results are sending mixed messages.

If it’s new construction, run it in conduit. If it’s existing construction, run a pull string.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer

snickles posted:

It is running through a sound system. Unlike my previous tv, however, the aux on this one is line level from the headphone jack. I wouldn’t expect that to cause a problem with unequal volume but I dunno maybe that’s it.

Sounds like some of the sources are 5.1 and some are just stereo and your TV (probably, since you said headphone jack and I'm assuming you mean on the TV) or sound system aren't handling them the same way.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Anyone here got a B7?

Several of us do.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer

TyrantWD posted:

My KS8000 that I've had for just under 2 years died suddenly this morning. The logo lights up and turns off repeatedly, and that is all it does. I've unplugged it repeatedly, and searched online, and it seems the only thing you can do is hope its under warranty (which its not).

So I am in the market for a new 55" TV, but the market seems pretty bleak in the midrange. It seems like there is the TCL as a budget option (never heard of them before today), and the X900F - and those seems to be the only viable options until you hit the Q8FN price range, or go even higher and get an OLED. I see a lot of people saying not to bother with the Samsung Q7F or Q6F - are they that bad, or is it more that they are overpriced?

What are you planning on doing with your One Connect box? Would you be interested in selling it?

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Something Offal posted:

Just realized TCL makes a Best-Buy exclusive model (55R615) that is exactly the same as the 55R617, with the absence of voice control and an IR remote instead of RF. Wtf? Did that really enable them to bring the price down that much? Strange to me. I'll be stuck with the worse one.

It prevents price matching.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Rastor posted:

These are good points, who's making that new OP

If nobody else is, I will.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Butterfly Valley posted:

I hadn't considered that angle, but isn't the worst that could happen with a scratched disc is it just doesn't read?

At least in my experience, the disc isn't the issue. The tiny, uncoordinated, impatient hands shoving the disc into the player are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Sphyre posted:

:siren: update: i ran the pixel refresher and it disappeared :shrug:

Post it on craigslist stat :v:

Make sure to include the line "no random vertical line of broken pixels" so people know it's a good buy