Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

TheRamblingSoul posted:

What is the difference between getting an OLED 1080p HDTV and a 4k LED HDTV in terms of picture quality? Everyone seems to agree that OLED is superior to LED and Plasma, but why are the two OLED HDTVs available only come in 1080p?

Do you have the budget for either?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

In the back of my head I always thought to myself "when OLED TVs are cheap enough to get a gigantic one the size of a projector screen, I'm going to do a home theater." Well I looked on a lark and 77" OLEDs are ~2500 which, while not cheap, is certainly splurgeable. So my questions are:

- Is now a decent time to go in on something like that or are a new batch of better/cheaper/whatever things just around the corner? I don't follow the TV market at all.
- Between these two, which is the one to get?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-77-class-a1-series-oled-4k-uhd-smart-webos-tv/6461911.p?skuId=6461911
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-77-class-bravia-xr-a80j-series-oled-4k-uhd-smart-google-tv/6455215.p?skuId=6455215

- Any others I should look at? Like I said I don't know poo poo about the TV market so I just looked up 77" OLEDs.

I have a 55" LG OLED in the bedroom and I love it (and it's why I'm spoiled AF on OLED), but I know Sony usually makes very nice (and very expensive) poo poo.

- I don't know how non-OLED screens have improved in the last 5 years or whatever. Is an 85" Samsung QLEDOMGWTF or whatever a better value for the image quality?
- Any recommendations on wall mount hardware for a big chonker like that?
- Why haven't TV prices gone insane with all the other electronics? What gives?

My use cases are movie nights with the SO and friends; garbage trash tier anime when I can't bear to think about life for a while; playing Elden Ring until my eyes bleed

KillHour fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 15, 2022

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

So if you have 3 grand burning in your pocket for a big fuckin tv, what would it be and where would you get it from?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Though the C2s are just around the corner, a C1 is a pro-tier buy

The A models from LG usually do poo poo like only one 4k/120 port so be careful

Any idea if waiting for the C2 to come out is going to result in some deals on a C1?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I don't live anywhere near a Costco until they finally build one next year :(

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Best Buy warranties against burn in (which is extremely rare with new models) and are worth buying from.

I assume I have to get the extended warranty for this? Is it generally worth it?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

My bedroom is a 5+ year old curved OLED that was a store display at best buy (so I got it for like... a thousand bucks) back when those were the new hotness and it came pre burned-in with the best buy logo. You could only ever see it on a flat background (so only like when a cartoon pans to a flat blue sky or a title card is plain white or something). It never bothered me and after a few years of use, it faded away and now I can't even see it anymore. That is like an absolute worst-case scenario, too.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I pulled the trigger on the Sony because it was $100 cheaper, is supposedly better calibrated from the factory, and I don't need 4 full-throughput HDMI ports. It will be here Friday. What wall mount do I get for that chonker?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Went with this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SMF9SQM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Seems pretty beefy.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah, I went with that one specifically because it has the extensions for 24" studs. The place where I want to put this is a little weird and the studs don't perfectly line up with how I want it.

The purple is roughly the size of the TV and the red is where the studs are behind that built-in. I can access behind that panel from underneath, so it's possible to add another stud but I'd like to give myself as much flexibility as possible.

Edit: I might be able to use the horizontal piece on the right too, since it's basically half way up the TV.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

otter posted:

Best Buy rescheduled my tv delivery for this morning. I ended up having a medical appointment at the same time. I’m in the waiting room and my wife just sent me a text saying “the guys from Best Buy just delivered the tv but as they were walking it through the garage the bottom of the box ripped open and the tv fell out and it hit the ground but they said there was no spiderweb so it’s ok”

Fuckers didn’t even plug it in to test it. Im sooooooo pissed.

:catstare:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Qubee posted:

I just purchased a Sony A80J, 65" for . A90J didn't seem worth the extra money. I plan on using it to watch shows, movies, and to use as a PC monitor every now and then. I may also buy a PS5 in the future, so having the 120hz is future proofing, right? It's a 2021 model. I don't know if I'm a dumbdumb for buying a TV now instead of just holding off. The A80K is releasing just around the corner, but I have no idea if it would be similarly priced. I also don't know how much the price will drop on the 2021 models when the new ones come out.

I live in a Middle Eastern country, there's only a single retailer who sells Sony TVs, it's disgusting how these monopolies are able to run. So I haven't got experience here in terms of fair market value, I highly doubt the retailer will properly drop the price once new models come out. It's not like we the consumer can go to an opposing retailer.

I literally just bought an A80J (on this page) because the new LG already came out and the Sony's went down to compete with the old LGs. I have no idea if that's the case in your country though.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Qubee posted:

How much did you pay for yours? I dunno why my post was missing the price, I wrote it originally.

2600 USD + tax for the 77 inch

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

otter posted:

It appears the tv is fine.
it was apparently from about a foot in the air and it was well packed in styrofoam.
Wife thinks the tv is blurry, but I don't see it. I suggested she put on her glasses but she KNOWS it's blurry. I mean, to some extent anything which isnt native resolution will be a little bit blurry when you blow it up to 75" right?

I put on Planet Earth and I think it's super sharp.

TVs use pixels that have clearly defined edges, so it's impossible for the display itself to be blurry. The video itself can be blurry or the processing can make it appear blurry, but there is no such thing as a blurry TV, and unless you're using an analog video signal for some reason, there's no such thing as a blurry signal either. Most TVs have a built-in calibration card that will be displayed losslessly at native resolution, so any defects are calibration or at the panel itself. Try that.

Fremry posted:

If I were you, I'd return it, even if it looks fine. You don't want something to go wrong in 60 days and find out you are poo poo out of luck because you didn't want to bother anyone by returning it.

But also this.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 18, 2022

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Qubee posted:

4,108 USD here, in a country that has no tax. loving monopolies, I swear. It's disgusting they can charge this amount and get away with it. How much does the 65 inch go for where you live?

I think I might cancel the order and just wait until '22 models come out and hope there's a big price drop.

1700 on Amazon for the 65 and 1200 for the 55. Everywhere else is probably in the same ballpark. You could probably literally pay to buy one in a foreign country, have someone ship it, and pay import taxes for less than buying locally.

VelociBacon posted:

The TV was dropped, you have the option to replace it because of that, I don't get what else there is to examine about this.

Someone is about to get a great deal on an open box TV.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The thing with burn-in on OLED screens is it's NOT the same kind of burn-in that is on plasma screens. OLEDs have a limited pixel life and the brighter the pixel is, the faster it dies (gets darker). Changing the image or turning off the screen isn't going to make a difference if 90% of the time the same part of the screen displays the same thing - it's going to leave a negative image of the static parts of the screen that gets worse and worse over time.

The only way to avoid it is to display varied content most of the time, since any time spent displaying a desktop or an application with fixed text/icons is going to be cumulative.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I hate that physical appliances come with ads now. Soon they're going to be built into your house.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KS posted:

Most of the 77 C1s have the Evo panel, but not the 65s.

Would this be true of a recent Sony 77" screen as well or no?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KS posted:

If it's an A80J, yes. I believe that's actually the reason the a90J didn't come in 77 -- there wouldn't be a difference.

That's the one, yep.

So... how do I unlock it then?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's gorgeous but OLED is going to be dimmer, so it's going to be even worse with glare.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

bull3964 posted:

It's going to be dimmer in HDR highlights only, so it may not be that noticeable of a difference.

Just checked on rings, the TU7000 is not a bright tv at all, the C1 will be almost 3x brighter in the highlights.

Are we really still doing the OLED is dim FUD?

I don't really know anything about the TU7000, but considering the C1 uses the same panel as the A80J, I'm pretty confident in saying that TV would be insufficiently bright to compete with a sunlit room on a bright day. It was one of the first things I noticed about the TV when I turned it on.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Then no TV will because 1500 nit peak HDR brightness compared to 700 nit peak HDR brightness isn't going to help you see an average brightness scene better, especially if you happen to be watching SDR content.

Who's saying you should be comparing peak HDR brightness on a tiny square in the middle of a black screen? If you look at brightness tests for realistic scenes, OLEDs are all in the 300 nit range while many LED TVs around the same price (or cheaper) are 600 or higher.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture-quality/peak-brightness

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I don't really know what the OP's particular situation is, but I'm going to go ahead and argue that spaces need to perform multiple functions and "make your room dark so it is optimal for TV watching" is not always an answer. You might need to set the brightness levels to something that sacrifices black levels or color accuracy to fit your environment, and I think that's fine.

Anyways, as for the anti glare stuff, some TVs have a matte finish and some have a glossy finish, so it might be worth figuring out which are which and going to a best buy or something to compare.

The TVs there are all going to be set to maximum possible brightness settings for store display but at least you can see what that is and if you're lucky maybe someone will turn that off for you to see the actual picture.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Maybe this will help. The room is pretty dim but I left the door open and you can see the window behind me with indirect sun reflected in the screen.

Here's a pretty dark scene with all the lights on

Edit: here are some more. Obviously this is worst case for my room and I'm not actually watching like this but it's not unreasonably bright for a room where you're doing things other than TV

KillHour fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 3, 2022

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The HDR looks great with all the lights off and the door closed though. The room isn't that dark - I still have the blinds open.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I bought these and they seem quite nice

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S1CGQ9Z?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Might be hard to pull through conduit though

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Shouldn't an OLED have perfectly dark blacks? I'm noticing (even in completely black screens) a tiny bit of light and it's surprising.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

This is like on loading screens or when something is rebooting so I'm pretty sure it's the TV.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It looks great but it's just ever so barely possible to see the background in dark scenes if I go right up to the TV and try to block out the light. It's really only ever noticeable in completely black screens, but it's definitely there. Maybe a calibration thing?

Edit: it was the calibration. The white balance offset was juuuust above the default 512 so pure black was barely not black. I booted the TV into service mode and fixed it with the help of the test images

KillHour fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 9, 2022

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

IDK, this is pretty cheap

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ToolPro-11-25-in-Drywall-Saw-with-Comfort-Grip-Handle-and-Carbon-Steel-Blade-TP02010/301329141

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ruffian Price posted:

What we need is more support for variable frame rate. I've seen some content switching between 120fps for panning shots and 24fps for dialogue scenes and that felt like the most natural way to watch anything. Could be refined further to find sweet spots for any kind of scene

You could just have the movie play at 120FPS and repeat each frame 5 times for the 24FPS scenes if you really wanted to do this.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Everyone should install a custom launcher on their TV and free themselves from the adpocalypse

KillHour fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 8, 2022

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

How do you do this? Which launcher is this? New to android TVs, thanks.

It's FLauncher and you can get it on the Google Play store. The only downside is that when your TV has been off for long enough (or you do a hard reset), it will default back to the original launcher unless you are comfortable doing developer command stuff to your TV (which I am not)

https://gitlab.com/flauncher/flauncher

KingSlime posted:

I was going to say can I do that on my LG C1 because I'm sick of the stock launcher

I hate it so much

Probably not because LG runs their own OS they bought from someone (HP I think?) instead of Android.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 8, 2022

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Sony only has two 4k@120hz HDMI ports, which might matter if you aren't using an 8K capable receiver and you plan on having more than two devices that can support them. Otherwise, I think the biggest differences are that the Sony has better built-in speakers and the Sony runs Google TV and the LG runs their own (garbage) OS. Reviewers say the Sony is better factory calibrated and has a better upscaler as well.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ryuga Death posted:

Do I need an 8k capable receiver? I was planning to get a receiver since I wanted to get a speaker set up so I don't know if the limited port thing matters too much unless there's something I'm missing. Judging from your comments, the A80K is the better option over the C2 overall?

If you want to run 4k@120, yes you need an 8k capable receiver.

I ended up with the A80J myself, which is one step down, but very similar I think.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah OLEDs don't burn in the same way plasmas did. Plasma burn in was caused by static imagery damaging the panel in a relatively short amount of time. OLEDs just have a limited life span and that is per subpixel. So subpixels that are bright all the time grow dim faster than those that aren't. It's a cumulative effect, not a sudden one.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

bull3964 posted:

The slow cpus are annoying, but there’s really no reason why a TV needs more than a 100mb network connection. There’s zero use case in the smart platform on the TV that would require more than half that bandwidth.

I needed to get a gbe adapter for steam link to work in 4k.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

bull3964 posted:

You are running Steam Link on the Tizen OS?

I have a Sony so Android

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Still. 100mbps should be plenty sufficient for steamlink. I think the encoder default is 25mbps.

It wasn't. My connection noticeably improved with the additional bandwidth.

Edit: and the difference in hardware costs to do GbE is negligible so it's just stupid that they don't do it.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

bull3964 posted:

There were likely other factors at play than just pure bandwidth because there isn’t really any benefit going beyond 50mbps or so with Steamlink. It’s probably more due to the SoC and it’s relationship with the onboard ethernet vs the USB bus than anything else.

It doesn’t really matter how much cheaper it is, it’s cheaper and spending more on the part isn’t making the TV any better for the core audience. Likely 90% of them would never even plug in the network port to begin with. I know my C6 has never seen an ethernet connection in 6 years.

Quit trying to prove everyone around you wrong. It's annoying. I used to work in the video streaming industry. I know how poo poo works.