Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I'm in the market for an OLED TV and would love to hear some goon opinions first.

1: The guy at Best Buy said LG units run cooler so they are having fewer returns on them over a Sony. Confirm?
2: I have a good sound system and plan to only use this as a display, so does the model (B,C, etc) really matter to me?
3: I see 2018 and 2019 models featured. Is there a major difference between the two?
4: I would prefer a 65" over the 55", is there anything I should know before pulling the trigger? Is the price going to remain firm, or should I wait for black friday?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Nocheez posted:

I'm in the market for an OLED TV and would love to hear some goon opinions first.

1: The guy at Best Buy said LG units run cooler so they are having fewer returns on them over a Sony. Confirm?
2: I have a good sound system and plan to only use this as a display, so does the model (B,C, etc) really matter to me?
3: I see 2018 and 2019 models featured. Is there a major difference between the two?
4: I would prefer a 65" over the 55", is there anything I should know before pulling the trigger? Is the price going to remain firm, or should I wait for black friday?

Sorry for ghosting on this thread, I couldn't remember what subforum it was in until today.

You guys gave me some great advice, and I'm going to wait until the right deal comes along. Thank you!!!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Butterfly Valley posted:

...have you been posting here for 19 years without knowing about the user control panel

I didn't bookmark it :shrug:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Butterfly Valley posted:

So bookmarking threads you post in automatically is an option I’ve turned on at some point? Huh. Very useful though.

If I had to hazard a guess, it's an option that was added after my account was created and was turned off by default. Or I turned it off sometime around 2 decades ago :shrug:

edit: Just bought my 65" C9 OLED on eBay. Now to wait 7-21 business days, whee!

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Dec 2, 2019

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Euphoriaphone posted:

Rakuten trip report: My C9 was delivered today. Shipping from NJ to CA with AM Trucking took 3 weeks (+ about an extra week for me since I was out of town when they were supposed to deliver it initially, so it got delayed - the "estimated due date" on the site ended up being the exact delivery date).

The delivery process went the same as Animal's description earlier in the thread. 2 delivery guys brought it in, opened the box and turned it on. They took a picture of the TV on and had me sign. They didn't help me setup the stand or anything, and I didn't have time to inspect the panel at all. They were in and out within 5 minutes. The TV itself didn't have any plastic wrap on the front, which was a little strange as the back side did and youTube unboxings I've seen have had a wrap. They did arrive super early (scheduled for 2 pm - 6 pm, showed up at 9:30 am when I was the 7th stop on their route), at least.

Thankfully, the panel seems to be as flawless as you could hope for from an OLED. I just tested it a bit using YouTube grey patterns and I didn't see any banding or splotches. Haven't dived into the settings much, but I've previously owned Samsungs and LG's menus seem to be equally obtuse (it took forever to figure out how to label an input as "PC", and I still can't find the update option).

In short: Rakuten/iElectrica seems to be a safe way to save a few hundred on an LG OLED, if you're ok with a long shipping time (especially if you're on the west coast).

I'm glad you posted this review, because I ordered a C9 65" from a seller on eBay for $1700, and they're using AM Trucking to deliver it. I'm on the same coast as NJ, so it hopefully won't take 3 full weeks to get here.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Rhyno posted:

Why do so many people do this?

It is the best place in my living room to set a TV. It's in the middle of the room, and the walls were better suited to putting a in-wall speaker setup that has the speakers evenly placed. And it's my house, so IDGAF what anyone else thinks because I like it :shrug:

edit: oh yeah, I have a toddler who loves swinging a hockey stick around the entire house, so anything under 3' is in the Danger Zone.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Taima posted:

4K blu rays
Blade Runner 2049
Oh. My. God.

I am so loving excited!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I hate reality TV, I absolutely abhor it. I've never seen more than a half an episode of Survivor, the Bachelor, Hell's Kitchen, or anything else because it's fake and stupid and lovely.

That said, the GBBO is a genuinely good show that my wife and I both enjoy. It's not really a competition against each other, it's really about the people doing their best for themselves and it's fun to see what they come up with.

Also: My C9 is out for delivery today and I'm loving stoked!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

wandler20 posted:

I'm excited for you! I still remember the day I got my C6. It was mind blowing.

Got it last night and it's really loving awesome! I upgraded Netflix for the $3/mo and the UHD content is staggering.

I still need to lower the mount on the wall and to figure out if I'm going to put in an in-wall center channel in, but it's totally watchable for now.

Does anyone have a good guide for setting it up? There's a helluva lot more options than I was expecting. Some I've never heard of before, or I had no clue what it did.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

qbert posted:

You can use this as a jumping off point to get a general idea of what the settings do, and then go from there.

Perfect, thank you!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Taima posted:

I’m legitimately curious what people consider so valuable in terms of their privacy.

I heard a story about one of the big firms in Europe where you can request all of the information they have on you. The person requested all of theirs, which included voice data from an in-home device. They sent this person someone else's data by mistake. So this person could hear *everything* that Apple or Google or Amazon had been listening to in this other person's home.

That right there is enough to make me never want to have my poo poo record me.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Animal posted:

About a month with the C9 and we adore the TV but we despise the remote. I look at the new Shield remote and swoon. Is there any chance the programmable button on that can be assigned to change TV input sources?

What don't you like about the remote? I am working on getting mine set up to only need my Harmony remote, but the "wiimote" feature works pretty well. The rest is taking a little getting used to, but overall the TV GUI is well thought out.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

"Vizio, play Debbie Does Dallas"

I heard an NPR story about a guy who writes thousands of songs every year and makes a modest living selling them online for a buck apiece. They had really funny song and album titles.

My wife got a free Google nest mini so the first thing I tried was "ok Google, play the album You Thought We Ran Out of Poop Song Ideas, You Were Wrong" and it actually worked. I was impressed, and disgusted.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I got another bedroom TV suggestion request, but with a twist from the last one:
My wife and I both prefer to fall asleep to the TV. We generally load something through the Chromecast, then set the timer and crash. Our old TV was perfect but it was like 47 inches and we had an unused, newer TV in her office that fit better. We gave the 47" to my buddy for his outdoor setup and put her office TV in the bedroom.

The old TV was a cheap Sharp LCD that had a sound-leveling feature that was a miracle. It somehow let us play Plex videos from all kinds of sources and volumes at the same level. We never realized how nice it was until we started with the new TV. It has absolutely zero audio features that can do this, and the speakers are loving garbage and I hate my life every night.

Can anyone recommend a smallish (say, no bigger than a 42" or so) LCD set that has good sound auto-leveling? Better speakers are a plus, but not necessary. We'd also love to have an auto-off feature like my work TVs have, but that's not a dealbreaker. Willing to pay a little more for a specific brand if it's going to help me fix my sleep schedule. There's nothing worse than almost falling asleep and getting blasted back awake with the American Dad theme at a crazy high volume.

Any suggestions?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Dogen posted:

https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-43-i...401&sr=8-1&th=1

43", sleep timer, auto volume, ok price. You can get a Q60T if you want to spend more on a better picture but it doesn't sound like PQ is a priority.

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you have experience with this model/brand? 43" is still pretty big for a bedroom TV but the price is OK. PQ is not a priority at all. Also, not huge on having built-in Alexa or microphones...

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
A buddy of mine has a hugely complicated mount for his TV that lets him move it all over the place, dropping it way down in front of his fireplace. I'm so jealous, but I don't want to redo my mount :(

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Sure looks like it. I didn't ask the brand, we were drunk and I just kept marveling.

edit: now I spent way too much time looking at that, and I want one. I also want to put an in-wall center channel, but that requires some major work in my wall above my fireplace as I have a center stud running the whole way down.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 23, 2020

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

qirex posted:

I think I once saw a center channel specifically designed to be mounted with a stud in the middle.

You guys gotta stop egging me on here...

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Now there's an interesting idea! The wife totally wants the mount :quagmire: so I'll have to consider what to do. Plenty of free time thanks to the pandemic :smith:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I wanted to say thanks and that I got my 43" TV today for my bedroom. I thought the thread recommended the LG but I just checked and it was the Samsung. Either way, the LG looks amazing for a "cheap" TV and the sound is perfect, exactly what I needed.

However, the remote doesn't have a button for the sleep timer, so that's a bummer.

Rick: Best Buy has the TV I just bought for the same price as that insignia. You might want to go with a big name for extra features and a better GUI, if that matters to you at all.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Or just move your couch a few feet closer when you do use it? :shrug:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I would have loved a 70 inch OLED, but the price jump for 5 inches definitely isn't worth it at this point.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

bull3964 posted:

Kind of a weird way to phrase that since we don't know what a 70" OLED would cost. The 12" jump though is getting closer and closer to worth it.

Sorry, I'm sure I'm misremembering the exact dimensions. It was a huge jump in price, though.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I have an older version of that remote and it's been amazing for like, man, 6 years or more? We use our phones a lot, but as long as we keep it away from our toddler it might survive another 6.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

angryrobots posted:

I mounted some TVs at work on metal studs using zip toggle bolts. I hit two studs with it though.

These absolutely will help if you can hit only 1 stud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

floWenoL posted:

Sweet deal! How's buydig.com as a retailer? I haven't heard of them; I wonder if panel exchanges/returns would be a bigger hassle than with e.g. BestBuy or Amazon...

I bought a bluetooth speaker from them in 2014. It showed up like any other online retailer.

That's my buydig.com story.