Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I want to upgrade our TV towards the end of the year here, we currently have a 42" plasma from Insignia that does pretty good but I'd love something slightly bigger and that is rated to 1080p (this was advertised at 720p but I can set devices like an xbox and the apple TV to 1080p and it seems to work). I don't want a smart TV since we use an Apple TV for content streaming and I don't really care about 3D, I just want a nice panel. I'd like to stick to plasma for the rich blacks and higher refresh rate.

I found these 2 models:

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-50PN6500-50-Inch-Plasma/dp/B00BBAFUQC/ref=sr_1_4?s=tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1372447192&sr=1-4
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TC-P50S60-50-Inch-1080p-Plasma/dp/B00ARAHBIW/ref=sr_1_1?s=tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1372447476&sr=1-1

That seem reasonably priced and it seems like anything that costs more just adds the smart features and the like.

I'd also like to do a basic sound setup as well, is there another thread for that? I don't want to spend a ton, just something to upgrade from internal speakers in the TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

I currently have a 40" Insignia 720p plasma (which I'm 95% sure is a rebranded Samsung panel) and I'm looking to upgrade in the fall, I want to move up to 1080p and I'd like to get a Panasonic so utilize VIERA link on the sound system I picked up late last year. I was looking at this: http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC-50AS530U

Which seems like a pretty good deal, not high end for sure but 120hz rate, 1080p and LED?

I'll be using it for mostly Hulu/Netflix and PS4 gaming.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Looking to replace my 4 year old Insignia 42" Plasma (720p). Mostly for playing games on PS4, Blu-Rays and streaming with Hulu/Netflix. I was eyeing the Vizio M series (49") but I've read the input lag isn't the best. I've read that this LG can get down to .23ms or so in "game" mode which seems decent for the price I'm looking to spend. Plus the UI looks pretty great for a TV and is something I wouldn't mind using for Netflix/Hulu instead of having to go through the PS4 like I do now.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IQ581GG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1W9VYYCJM6JCO&coliid=I15MP1Z2O5FHNB&psc=1

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Double post, forums are weird.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

I have a question around ARC and how that works.

Currently, I have a dumb TV, with no ARC in the HDMI channels so to use my sound bar (http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-SC-HTB550-2-1-Channel-Multi-Positional-Streaming/dp/B00766BF1Y/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top) I have to have it on the right input, then turn the TV volume all the way down.

I'd like to have it setup with ARC on a new TV so I can control the sound bar volume with the TV remote so it's easier to tell what the volume is set at and so I only need to keep 1 remote around. My question revolves around how I get sound out of the sound bar no matter what the source is. For now I have the PS4 plugged into the unit for the sound bar then that goes to the TV, do I need to keep this setup to get the sound through the bar if it was setup with ARC? Or could I have the PS4 in another HDMI on the TV and tell it to send the Audio to the ARC channel? Also how does it work if the TV is a smart TV and I'm streaming Netflix through it?

For record I'm looking at this TV: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IQ581GG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1W9VYYCJM6JCO&coliid=I15MP1Z2O5FHNB&psc=1

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Don Lapre posted:

Once you have a tv with ARC you plug the tv into the ARC connector and your hdmi devices into the hdmi connectors. Your tv will have an option to turn the speakers off (your current one should as well). Then the manual should tell you waht you need to do to enable arc.

Then you will do your source selection from the soundbar and leave the tv on whatever the arc input is.

Would optical audio be a better option? It has that as well.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Don Lapre posted:

On your current setup? Yes you should do optical from the tv to your soundbar and then turn the speakers off on your tv (there should be an option for this)

What about on the new setup? Or is ARC a better option. Ideally I'd like to control the volume through the TV so I don't have to have the 2nd remote laying around.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

So Amazon had a sale or something and I nabbed that LG I've been eyeing for $750 (50", 1080p, 120hz, webOS). Everything works well and the TV is beautiful, I have a small oddity with my soundbar setup, while I'm playing PS4 through HDMI2 (w/ audio out set to the soundbar through ARC in HDMI1) the speakers seem to stop working every once and a while, the sub seems to stay on but the speakers stop putting out sound. Using the input selector on the soundbar system to cycle through the inputs then arrive back at the one that it was on get's the sound back to working, but it's an odd problem.

I'm thinking it has something to do with my soundbar's settings so I'm going to try and dig up the manual tonight, but has anyone else experienced something like this?

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Don Lapre posted:

Bypass arc and run a digital audio cable from your tv to the soundbar and see if it still happens. Is ti only on the PS4 also?

Hard to say, I haven't had much time to test, but doing it through optical sounds like a decent option. I'll have to grab a cable.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Don Lapre posted:

Bypass arc and run a digital audio cable from your tv to the soundbar and see if it still happens. Is ti only on the PS4 also?

I can now confirm that it is not just the PS4, as it happened over Netflix via the TV's app. I've contanted Panasonic about it and they had me reset the sound system which seemed to help but it's happening randomly again. I've swapped out HDMI cables to see if that was the problem but the problem persists. I'd ideally like to keep using ARC since it allows me to auto on the sound system and control it's volume with the TV remote.

Panasonic has said I may need to send the unit in for service, so I think I'm going to try that, assuming they'll cover it under warranty.

Ouhei fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Sep 8, 2014

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

shortspecialbus posted:

I still maintain you may be able to program the remote to control the soundbar directly, treating it as an AV device. Some remotes allow you to do that, and any aftermarket one will. Ones that come with cable boxes especially will.

I'll order an optical cable and give it a whirl, they're cheap anyways.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Looking to upgrade to 4k early next year once we move and wanted to know what people here thought of the Vizio M Series 65" https://www.vizio.com/tvs/m65e0.html

I saw it mentioned earlier on this page as a better option than one TV, but features wise it seems to be the best thing in that price range. I was hoping TCL would release the 65" version of their highly rated 55" out now, but they appear to have scrapped those plans. It will be in a family room and used for general TV/Movies/Video Gaming.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Scipiotik posted:

I have it, it's great. takes a bit to get the settings perfected, but worth the effort. 4k hdr content on it is jaw dropping. It doesn't have much in the way of streaming apps natively still, but you can stream most anything from your phone.

Sweet! The plan is to basically run everything through the upcoming 4k apple tv (assuming it's out by then) so I'm not too worried about apps. Hell I'd buy a decently specced dumb 4k TV but no one makes those.

Edit: Wait, am I reading it right that there's only 1 HDMI 2.0 port? So you can't do HDR stuff from more than one source?

Ouhei fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Sep 7, 2017

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Scipiotik posted:

Yes, that is correct.

That is super lame, I guess I'll have to go up to the P series, or something from another company. Was eyeing this LG: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N4TQ7O4/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2CA0JNYX5D3DV&colid=3JD2LYX5K9FJ

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

So I'm going to be buying my first 4k set here in the next month two and I've narrowed it down to 3 sets and wondered what the general census is on them:

1) LG SJ8500: http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-65SJ8500-4k-uhd-tv
2) Sony X900E: https://www.sony.com/electronics/televisions/xbr-x900e-series
3) Vizio P-Series: https://www.vizio.com/p-series

65" version of any of them. Will be in a family room that gets decent light but nothing too harsh. Main uses will be general TV watching and gaming with a PS4 Pro and Xbox One S.

From what I can gather the Sony is generally regarded as the "best", followed by the Vizio and then the LG. The Sony and Vizio supposedly do a better job with black levels and contrast overall while the LG seems to not fair well in that department in darker rooms. The LG though has a better reputation when it comes to viewing angles which is a nice plus as you lose the better blacks/contrast on the other 2 when you're not direct on which feels like it could come in handy given all the different angles/positions it'll be viewed from (family room is open to the kitchen and we'll have a decent amount of seating around the TV too, I want it to look nice from as many positions as possible.

Of course I could go up to the LG B7 and get the contrast and viewing angles, but at nearly double the price of any of these units that doesn't seem worth it.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

I got the B7A for 1600. So it's doable at a lower price.

For the 65"? I've seen the 55" hit that low but not the 65".

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

qirex posted:

The 65" X900E for $1500 is a super good deal, IMO. Or you could spend 50 hours arguing with your credit card company to maybe get back all that money you went over budget I guess.

Yeah 1500 is about the most I’m willing to put up for a tv, I checked my cc company and they do price protect but only up to $250, so it’d be a stretch even if they went for it...

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

So I've been reading up on the x900e as it seemed to be the best one to go with (short of going the the LG B7) and am reading that only HDMI ports 2 and 3 support HDMI 2.0a (4k HDR) while 1 is basically for ARC, and 4 is either 1.4 or 2.0 without the a support for HDR. This is a pretty big bummer as I want 4k HDR support for 3 devices (Apple TV, PS4 Pro and Xbox One S). So unless I'm reading it wrong I don't think the x900e will work for me.

The Vizio P series seems to support 2.0a on 4 of it's 5 ports so that should work though.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

spasticColon posted:

My Vizio M50-E1 that I bought last August is even worse because it only has one HDMI 2.0a port (gaming PC) while the other 3 HDMI ports are only 1.4b (OG PS4, Wii U, and Fire stick) so what's my solution if I decide to get a PS4 Pro or a Xbone X? Get a HDMI 2.0a compatible switchbox? Would one of those introduce input lag?

That's the same issue I came across before, I was all in on getting the M-Series based on reviews of it and it's price, but finding out it only has 1 port that can do HDR was a deal breaker. I'm not sure about input lag, but I know some sound bars/systems will have HDMI passthrough that you could use (Sony has one: https://www.amazon.com/Sony-CT800-P...=sony+sound+bar).

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

spasticColon posted:

I fell for the good reviews and price and it was a month after I purchased the TV before I discovered there's only one HDMI 2.0a port. The other 3 ports do "support" HDR but only at 1080p. They'll also do 4K@60Hz but only at the 4:2:0 color format. My current soundbar doesn't even have HDMI so I have that hooked up via optical. But if I get a PS4 Pro and a HDMI switchbox won't work it's either 4K60Hz at 4:2:0 or 1080p60 with a cutdown version of HDR. And I'm not buying another TV until sets with HDMI 2.1 drop and from what I read online those won't drop until late 2018 at the earliest.

Someone who's more of an expert on receivers should chime in, but I would assume that if your receiver is 4K HDR compatible and you route it through the compatible port on your M-Series, then everything would display in 4K HDR assuming the source supported it (PS4 Pro, etc).

Jorath posted:

I have a similar concern, but I already bought a x900E. Is the proper solution to get a AV receiver to use for the various inputs to connect to, then just run one cable to the TV (or a second one for ARC)?

Again, someone who's more knowledgeable on receivers feel free to correct me, but I think if you route everything into a receiver then you just route the receiver to the TV since the receiver is the one handling all of the switching and audio.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

BonoMan posted:

If you act super fast you can get the OLED65B7P-U 65" 

Refurbished on Woot.for $1500 with coupon code CRAPVENT

It's only for first 100 customers to use that code though

drat, wish I had come here earlier today! Coupon is used up but it’s still 2100 which is pretty cheap.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

I finally got a chance to measure the space where my new TV will go and I think we have room to go for a 75" (been planning on 65")

65":

75"

The main problem with going up to a 75" is that the x900e goes from $1500 to $2800, which is just more than we want to spend. I could go down to the x850e for $2000, but I'd lose local dimming and the 75" on that model goes to an IPS panel which is kinda lame. I have seen some warehouse/refurb deals for the 75" x900e for around $2300 which might be doable.

Opinions? I don't think the 65" looks dwarfed on there necessarily, but the 75" doesn't look as crowded as I expected it to.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is above the fire the only place to put it? It never looks good and my neck is aching in sympathy already.

To the side of it puts it at a weird angle in terms of the room width. I’d rather it be lower, but after watching a few games/movies at a friends place where it’s above it’s not nearly as bad as I thought.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Mahoning posted:

From like 10 feet actually. Seriously the difference in your head tilt is negligible. Not to mention that people aren’t robots that always sit up straight.

Basically, I’ve found that I’m usually in a position where it’s more of restimg my head back on the sofa or something and it’s really fine. Again, I’m my perfect tv room it would be lower, but I’m not really worried about it. The plan is a tilt mount as those mantle mount things usually have the tv higher than you can mount it on a normal mount when retracted due to the mechanics of it.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

mune posted:

Hi, looking to upgrade from a 60" Vizio M602i-B3 (outstanding TV) to a good 65"+ TV. I'm moving and won't be able to take much of my stuff with me so I'm selling off the Vizio and will have a TV probably waiting for me at my destination.

Budget isn't super tight, and I can be flexible.

Any good deals going on? I've seen the Sony X900E recommended before.

The x900e is the "go to" TV unless you're going to go for an OLED (in which case LG's C7/B7 are the ones to get).

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

The BEST (as in if you're designing a room explicitly for TV watching) height for a TV is roughly eye level while seated. Depending on your room layout and it's purpose that might not be possible or optimal for your specific use. Over the fireplace isn't ideal, but it's not nearly as horrible as some people make it out to be.

Ours will be over the fireplace due to the room layout and wanting good line of sight from the breakfast nook and kitchen since it'll be the main TV for the house and we'll often be in those areas while we want to watch so the extra height will actually be nice in certain cases. If I were building a theater room I wouldn't be putting it there, but I'm not.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

What are the chances 2017 models of TVs go on sale/clearance in the next month or so? Hoping I can snag a x900e for cheap since CES just happened.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

qirex posted:

There's probably going to be sales for the Superbowl/olympics but I don't see them being any cheaper than what they were around Christmas.

That might be enough. Right now the best deal is a refurbed 75" x900e for $2300, which seems like a better buy than a new x850e for $2300.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

I'm relieved the X900F doesn't seem like a massive upgrade over the X900E, gonna scoop up one of those in a few weeks.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

neato burrito posted:

X900e Price drops are happening, 75" down to $2500 at Dell.com

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/acce...503910048056670

Amazon too, they also have a batch of warehouse deals for good condition used ones for even less which is kinda tempting too...but I’d rather have new panel.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Incessant Excess posted:

I think the next step down is the X850E which features the same image processing chip and thus the same motion handling capabilities. You miss out on the direct backlight and the full array local dimming that comes with it tho, which is a pretty big deal feature.

I looked at the 850e in store and honestly it looked pretty drat close to the 900e that was above it, ultimately decided the 900e was worth the cost difference since the 75" 850e uses an IPS panel and the full backlighting helps when it's darker.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

I picked up the 75" x900e with a HTNT5 sound bar this weekend since BB was running a sale on the TV ($2500) and bar ($600) and you got another $200 off the bar if you bought it with a TV. Shame I have to wait 3 weeks to enjoy it, but I'm happy to have it settled at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

A few weeks ago we decided to replace an old 1080p LG we had in our bedroom with a new TV, we mostly just watch random shows before bed and the occasional video game so we didn't feel like we needed anything fancy. I bought a 55" TCL 5 series since we have an older (2019 model) 6 series downstairs and I've generally liked it. The 5 series is great, no complaints there, but it has thrown me down a rabbit hole with my 6 series and I feel like I'm going insane.

The 5 series appears to be a more vibrant panel overall, with both TVs at the same settings the 6 series looks really muted while the 5 series is way brighter and the colors are more intense without blowing out the blacks. The 5 series is set to Dolby Standard with the TV set to normal brightness and I've even tuned some of the default color slider out. To get the 6 series close to the feelings of color I was using Dolby Bright, but that blew out the blacks and made them grey, so I went back to Dolby Standard, but had to crank the color slider up to basically max. I have tuned and tweaked every setting I can imagine and even downloaded the calibrating app they used to offer (found a download for the APK). To be honest the 6 looks, fine/good when I'm watching it, but then I go upstairs and put the same thing on to finish watching in bed and I can't help but notice that it appears to look better there.

The only thing that I can think of really is that our 6 series is the model right before they switched to QLED and that QLED panels are just naturally more vibrant, and maybe the newer screen tech is just better at handling reflections which results in a more uniform looking picture. It feels dumb, but I'm close to just buying a new 6 (well, I guess now it'd be the Q7) for downstairs so I stop getting annoyed.