Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Twerk from Home posted:

Edit: to be clear, upscaling is fine, it's just likely that a 4K upscale of a movie looks super similar to how your TV or player would have upscaled a 1080p Blu anyway.

The upscaled will nearly always be better because 2k in the mastering world is a different beast than 1080p.

35mm film is commonly scanned at 2048 × 1556. So, you are getting more no matter what. You get a bit more with 16:9 content. But with anything anamorphic, you actually get like 50% more vertical resolution since the scan will be 1556 with the full 35mm frame filled.

And, of course, both encoding and size of the discs are improved which should lead to fewer compression artifacts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

wolrah posted:

I can only imagine that Logitech has some spicy patents, because I can't come up with any other reason that no one else has really gone after the high-end user-programmable universal remote market to fill the gap between people who are happy with CEC or bundled universal remotes and the people who are willing to pay for some "professional installer" to configure a commercial automation system.

It's the same reason why logitech exited the market, that slice of user is pretty thin and hard to make money at.

Figure that most people out there have their TV and maybe one streaming device connected to it. Even if you push a little further upmarket, they'll include a soundbar. That arrangement works fine under CEC or the universal features that come with many remotes.

Only crazy folks like me have a TV, an AppleTV, a Roku, a blu-ray player, a Chromecast with GoogleTV, and a full blown AVR connected in their living room.

On top of the thin market, you have then have to contend with the fact that there's not much innovation to be done year to year to drive people to upgrade. People will generally only but another one when it breaks. Meanwhile, they are burning money keeping the backend active and updating the code database.

It's just not a money maker which is why the remote market have nearly always been more community driven affairs if you aren't in the high high end.

The fact that we still have to deal with this poo poo at all in 2023 is annoying. Bring on an open wireless remote standard. I should be able to set any parameter on any of my devices directly without having to emulate a bunch of remote presses.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

It just works and it doesn't spam you with ads.

The entire top row of the Apple TV app under now playing is an ad.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

They displaced the now playing row, one of the main reasons to use Apple TV, with banner ads for Apple TV+ Shows and (like MLS or MLB) that you may not be subscribed to even if you use the app.

It's not really defensible and it's likely to increase.

Apple TV certainly is the best if you want maximum control over the output to optimize quality and the interface is nice and snappy, but they are pulling the same shenanigans as everyone else with regards to promoted content.

No other streaming device I know of has push notification ads.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 16, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Not to say this isn't happening, but I gotta say I have no idea what you're talking about. I don't have Apple TV+ in my main row, and I have never, ever seen an ad for Apple TV+ shows. I have certainly never gotten a banner or push notification of any kind, which is more than I can say for the Sony, LG, and TCL (ugh) TVs I've had occasion to connect to the Internet briefly

I was referring to your push notification comment. I have every streaming device known to man and I've never seen a push notification from those devices.

TV manufacturers, yeah they do poo poo. Not the devices though.

Anyways, it's the TV app. The app you use to curate your now playing row. You use it even if you aren't subscribed to Apple TV+.

This, specifically.

https://9to5mac.com/2023/01/10/apple-tv-app-watch-now-auto-play/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I almost want my 65" C6 to die so I could justify getting an 83" and wall mount it.

7+ years and still going strong. 17093 hours and counting.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

corgski posted:

On the other extreme, I'm shopping for a small 4k TV.

I had a 39" TV for years (Seiki SE39UY04) but it looks like you can't really get 4k in that size anymore without paying absurd prices for "gaming monitors." Is 43" my best bet for 4k without getting something that's gonna swallow my apartment whole? I'm tempted to just buy a Samsung QE43T since I'll just be plugging my chromecast, blu-ray player, and possibly a PC into it and don't need apps.

LG makes a 42" OLED.

Corb3t posted:

I couldn’t imagine wanting anything other than a 77” OLED, though - a friend of mine has one and it definitely seems “big enough” to me.

I setup my 110" screen and 4k projector in my living room from time to time so I'm going to be continually chasing that dragon in a permanent setup.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Breetai posted:

How's LG's rep for OLED? They appear to have the more affordably priced options for large oleds.

LG is the maker for nearly every OLED out there. Only recently has Samsung decided to get back into making panels.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My OLED light is 40 because that's where it needed to be to be properly calibrated in SDR.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I was just coming to post that transparent screens seem like they are going to be the next fad/gimmick. LG has the T series OLED now too that's transparent.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Then you get a stone chip that totals your car because a windshield now costs $10k to replace or your car’s computer freaks out and blanks out your view with an error screen leading to a crash.

It’s a thing that always bugged me about sci-fi shows that use transparent monitors. It’s GREAT for filming because things look futuristic and you can see actor’s faces, but it’s a nightmare for actual usability.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Unless you are doing high refresh rate gaming, you can ignore 120hz input. There's literally no other content to use with it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Live sports would benefit from the 120Hz rate.

There is no live sports broadcast in 120fps.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My C2 has a screen off function. It's on the bottom of the list on the top settings menu.

That said, a black screen isn't going to hurt anything outside of using more power.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

kri kri posted:

Turning the tv on and off is 1 button press

One issue with using a TV as a monitor is turning it off actually makes it disappear as far as the computer is concerned. If you have other monitors attached as well, this causes everything to rearrange itself. So turning the screen off can be more convenient than turning the TV off if you are using it on and off.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, LCDs have LED backlights and they can age poorly and throw off quality. There's controller boards that have to manage local dinning (if the TV has it.)

Then you have things like light spreaders that can't drift very far in tolerance before it starts making the backlight uneven.

LCD construction is actually a bit more complex than an OLED panel even if they are cheaper to make.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Usually you can't. Any flaw in the sandwich is going to need a panel replacement and that's usually as much as the TV.

Generally only the boards are serviceable on TVs.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The best stud finder I've ever used is a neodymium magnet. I have thick plaster walls and normal stud finders are hit and miss, but that thing will stick to the wall over the nails used to secure the lathe to the stud through like 2 inches of plaster.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Blu-ray remuxes or UHD Blu-ray remuxes?

If only Blu-ray, make sure the apple tv isn't outputting HDR because SDR to HDR conversion can make weird things happen.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You can't escape ads no matter what you use. Even Apple TV has self promotion in it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I got a UB-820 at launch and it's been fantastic.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

PS5 has HDR playback, just not Dolby Vision or HDR10+

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The plus actually refers to dynamic (like Dolby Vision)rather than static metadata.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Animale posted:

Edit: looks like the QD-OLED experiment, at least for Sony was short lived.

Not really surprised because the prices for these mini-LED sets are not THAT bad to the point where I don't think there is a value niche for QD-OLED in their lineup. Regular OLED at the low end premium, mini LED at the high end.

If it weren't for the fact that my C6 is still perfectly fine (and the fact that I would feel embarrassed for telling anyone I spent $5500 on a TV) I would be REALLY tempted to get the 85" there.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It be fair, it's a LOT of zones. Sony doesn't disclose it, but rtings estimates it at 1920.