Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

What's the general opinion on those 920hz TVs? Saw a demo for one at Best Buy and wow, looks loving real with the proper content. Almost felt like looking through a window.

Second question, should I spend the $500 more for a TV to get a 240hz version? Upgrading from a decent 46" LG from 2008 or so, but no experience with either 120hz or 240hz. Main use would be gaming, then sports and movies. Currently looking at the Samsung UNF55F8000. Don't really want the 3d or smart tv features, but seems like most 240hz available in my area come bundled with those.

Third, maybe just wait a couple of months for Black Friday / Christmas deals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Stentorian Hoot posted:

Is there a good recommendation for a 40" in the $500 range? I'm looking to upgrade to a real TV from a PoS 22" Dell monitor I've been using for the past few years. I'm not interested in 3D and I don't need Smart features since I have an Xbox already. My main uses for th TV will be movies and games. I was looking at the Vizio M401i-A3 but heard it suffers from issues with the back light seeping through. Another option I was looking at was the Samsung UN40EH5300, but it only has a 60hz refresh rate. Do I need to worry about a higher refresh rate if I'm mainly playing games on it?

Friend of mine swears by 120hz+ since he got one, says makes games way better. Haven't experienced it for myself, but I'd like to try it, and everything seems headed towards "More Hz!" for the next few years, "soap opera" effect or not. At least the 920hz TVs I saw looked loving amazing, even at "small" 40inch sizes.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Report on the Samsung UN55F8000 that I bought:

Looks loving awesome. Huge compared to my previous 46 inch TV from 2006. Colors are amazing, and there's at least 4 default settings that you can set in case you don't like the "Movie" or "Dynamic" choices. Personally I like the Dynamic for the ridiculously bright and saturated colors, I'll probably get tired of it later but it really makes the color gamut stand out, compared to my previous screen. And after that, there's another page of advanced settings for you to go nuts.

The 120hz "Soap Opera" effect... I'll be honest, I like it. I liked it in the Hobbit at 48fps and I like it in my screen. Perhaps from being a PC gamer, I'm more used to it, but to me always more FPS = Better. The new Robocop trailer looks amazing and I'm looking forward to watching lots of movies with that effect.

The sports content I watch(UFC) seems to have too much blur for my taste, but it's acceptable, however still a big disappointment as it's one of my main uses for the TV. Not sure how to get rid of the ghosting/blur effect, but I can't return the TV so I guess I'll get used to it. TV has a "Stadium/Sports" effect, but not a fan. If anyone's got tips for optimizing this, I'd appreciate it.

If you don't like the Soap Opera effect, you can turn it off, so that's a plus.

In short, very satisfied with the purchase except for the sports mode.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

How do you play Bioshock Infinite in 3D in that Samsung? Just turn on the 3D mode on the TV and start the game? I haven't even taken the 3D glasses from the box they came in, first experience with 3DTVs ever, not sure how it works.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Economic Sinkhole posted:

I picked up a 60" ST60 based on the recommendations in this thread and am wholly impressed so far. We've just watched some regular TV and the blu-ray of Skyfall, which was visually amazing. The fight scene in the Tokyo sky scraper and the final scene in Scotland were particularly impressive since they were dark but included plenty of detail.

Can anyone recommend some movies that are particularly visually interesting? On the short list to watch next for me are the Lord of the Rings trilogy, Star Trek Into Darkness and Master and Commander.

The new Star Trek definitely, saw it this weekend and bah gawd them's some pretty colors that there spacers.

Edit: Also the latest Dredd movie was quite colorful and entertaining too.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Report on the Samsung 55 8000 3d smart TV I got a few weeks ago ( http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/tv-video/tv/led/UN55F8000AFXZC )

gently caress this poo poo, I love it, got used to the "Soap Opera effect" and I now demand it on action movies, gaming lag is really not noticeable at all, and after fiddling with my image settings I realized the sports problems were a combination of A) Low quality source video and B) Getting used to the extra framerate, which is really great. Once A) was fixed, gently caress, this TV owns.

Have not used the 3D features because who cares(Honestly, haven't found any content to use), and neither the hand gestures which are pretty worthless, as is Voice Control. The Smart TV side, only used it for Netflix and works reasonably well (Apple TV had a nicer interface but the convenience in the Samsung TV integration is nice). Apparently has "Quad Core" processors but who gives a gently caress, it's a TV and I'm not using any of the integrated apps, because I am a civilized person and own a Personal Computer.

Also the base continues to be absolutely retarded, but now that I have a big table for the TV it's fine. I wonder if I'd gotten the previous version (6000?) that didn't have 3d+SmartTV+Voice and Motion controls, if I'd have saved the extra 500 dollars, or if the image quality is better in this one too. Image quality is awesome, but does require some fiddling or saving settings depending on what content you like.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Wario In Real Life posted:

You're an awful human being and will no doubt infuriate anyone who comes over to your house to watch TV.

I can't hear you over the sound of Star Trek: Into Darkness looking loving sweet

It feels like back when the SD->HD switch was happening, once you go back to watching regular framerate stuff, it feels like using muddy glasses. Maybe old movies are going to suffer a lot, but the new poo poo is great. Robocop, Riddick, Oblivion, can't wait to try Elysium on it. I'd like to try Apocalypse Now too. It's probably just years of conditioning to a certain framerate.

I gotta admit the first time I saw the Soap Opera effect I hated it, but back then it was the Attack of the Clones and the green screen just jumped at your eyes, it was a movie that was clearly made in a bad way.

Good movies just look like... a more realistic movie. poo poo entertainment is going to be really exposed, but good cinematography will always work. The Life of Pi looked incredible too. Love that poo poo.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Gozinbulx posted:

I've read a lot of this thread and am still very confused as to what to do.

1. I don't want a plasma, would like LED
2. Id like a 50 inch tv.
3. Id like it to be pretty good for movies and such.
4. I really really don't care about smart crap or 3d
6. Id like it to be at most 800. Maaaaybe 850.

Does this exist?

Sure, do some research, personally I went with the aforementioned Samsung but it was more expensive due to useless (to me) SmartTV and 3d crap, but while shopping I saw a lot of very affordable LGs that looked decent. Maybe the Samsung F6000 series is cheaper by now, which is last year's model and still pretty decent from what I saw.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Gozinbulx posted:

I have been doing research and it's dizzying. What are some these LG's you recommend?

Oh boy, I already forgot the models I was researching, but I used this site mostly:
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk

Looking at the latest reviews, this SamsungTV seems like a great no-frills one, except for the size, but maybe they make it in a bigger version:

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/samsung-ue32f5000-201308253262.htm

Unless you're in a real hurry, give yourself a couple of weeks to read reviews and to familiarize yourself with the lingo. Most stuff is really superfluous (gamma states, chromaticity, and white balances) but you'll feel more comfortable once you understand the basic differences. After all, a TV could last you 5 years or more if you're not looking for cutting edge.

Basically boils down to what size you want, and if you prefer LED to Plasma and your budget. Honestly most current TVs look great, specially if you don't want to pay for the extra 3D stuff.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Mister Macys posted:

This year's models use "F". Samsung's 2012 lineup uses "E". Just saying.

LGs look great every time I see them, and they're what I'd pick if I wanted to experiment with adjustable motion interpolation settings and 3D.
But I'm afraid I'm in the "darker blacks always = better" camp.
Which is funny because my monitor is at least three years old now, but I think it's black level is perfectly fine.

Whoops, sorry, you're right, I think the 6000 were just a model without some smart tv features or something? Anyway they were cheaper, thanks for the correction

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

golgo13sf posted:

Welp, getting a new TV. One of the pixels got stuck as red after 3 weeks, tech came over, new TV getting delivered next week.

Go go LG warranty support, I guess.

Just curious but anyone know what companies do with these huge rear end displays? Are they fixable?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Don Tacorleone posted:

Report on the Samsung 55 8000 3d smart TV I got a few weeks ago ( http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/tv-video/tv/led/UN55F8000AFXZC )

Have not used the 3D features because who cares(Honestly, haven't found any content to use), and neither the hand gestures which are pretty worthless, as is Voice Control. The Smart TV side, only used it for Netflix and works reasonably well (Apple TV had a nicer interface but the convenience in the Samsung TV integration is nice).

Bah Gawd, was I wrong about the 3D - a friend brought over a demo 3D vid, plugged it into the USB port, and I was blown away how cool it looked. Holy poo poo I demand all movies be 3D now.

I gave it a half assed shot to play 3D content from YouTube but it didn't seem to work from my hdmi connection, but playing from USB seems to work everytime.

Smart Tv gestures and voice control are still poo poo though

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Dr Tran posted:

Rewatch Life of Pi.

Also, have you set up youtube to play on TV? Pair your youtube account with the TV, then fire up the TV's youtube app. On your computer, when you want to fullscreen a video, there will be another option to watch on your TV. This works on tablets and phones as well, but I don't have anything that fancy.

Have not, will play around with this later, thanks!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Gozinbulx posted:

So non-motion interporlated 240hz still looks worse to some?

Whatever, I'm not gonna pay extra for it.

Personally I think it's loving awesome in certain content like modern action movies and sports. Saying this as someone who previously thought it was the dumbest thing ever, but I also used to say "HD? Meh" when it was new.

Worst case you can turn off the effect if you really hate it. I'd say give it a shot with a wide variety of content. Some definitely looks worse but that's when you start noticing poo poo like good cinematography and acting and camera angles. Breaking Bad did not suffer on a rewatch with the soap opera effect.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

At least on my recently bought TV (a samsung), it has a "Dynamic" color mode that is probably meant for these kinds of showroom "pop" visuals. Yes, it looks loving awesome at home too, but after a while you might want to try other color modes for certain content (Movies/sports).

About the Smart TV features, after playing a couple of months with my TV, I'd argue that they're worth it. gently caress, every single thing I thought I didn't care about in this TV turned out to be awesome - the 3D (I can't get enough of 3D movies), the internet features (Netflix etc), the "Soap Opera" auto smooth effect, etc. The only thing that really just doesn't work right is voice commands and gestures.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Dr Tran posted:

Sounds like the soap opera effect to me.

That, or maybe they were 4K displays? Those look ridiculously real, almost like you're looking through a windows.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

cbirdsong posted:

So I should try to buy one of those before then, if I was thinking of getting one in the next year or so? I'm guessing prices will not be dropping like crazy.

Why would you buy an outgoing piece of tech? From what I've read, the reason they're terminating the Plasma line is because they're moving to a more efficient, better looking technology (of which I forget the name of). Unless they're heavily discounted, I don't see the urgency.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Weinertron posted:

Plasma is dying also because consumers are underinformed and for the most part don't give a flying gently caress about image quality. People buy the biggest cheapest, thinnest TV they can even if it looks like edge-lit horseshit.

Plasma never really shook the bad reputation it had from the early 00's (and at the time it was well deserved), but I don't think the consumers who buy the cheapest thinnest TV would care that Plasma was now (arguably) better. It's just a reality of the market, if they don't sell, they're going out, and I'd be more concerned about support after they're discontinued, and in that case I'd rather buy a new, supported model.

If you research your TVs you can probably find a decent LED equivalent anyway, it's not 2005, LEDs are great now.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

bull3964 posted:

I mentioned this before in this very thread, but 4k is the worst thing to happen to TVs. At this point, the resolution race in TVs is much like the megapixel race on digital cameras. I would much rather the manufacturers spend more R&D on improving panel uniformity, increasing color accuracy, and deepening black levels without artifacts than pumping out panels with more pixels that no one can use anyways. Leave 4k to the projectionist folks and just give us a very high quality 1080p display.

It's all academic to me since I'm not going to upgrade TVs for years (hopefully, barring someone stealing mine), but what's so bad about the 4K race? Once everyone's there, they'll start to focus on image quality like they do now, no? From a business standpoint, it's much easier to sell a higher resolution than some vague "color clarity, black level" claims that you can't even check at the store anyway.

Truth be told I was very, very impressed with the image quality of even small 4k displays at the store, images just jump out at you.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I still think 4K is just going to remain a more objective measure of how good a display basically is - image color quality is just too subjective to point to, and old people with money are more likely to go "Oh, it has 4 times the resolution! Let's get that one" even if they couldn't tell it was a 720p source.

Could you even market image quality in non bullshit terms? Every company already has their own and proprietary (mostly worthless) trademarks regarding how good their display looks, but there's just no widely known standard to point to color quality, is there? It would probably even backfire.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

incorporeal posted:

Been looking to get a new tv to go with the ps4 I'm getting next week but I really don't know what's good anymore. I see mix reviews for every tv it seems. I'm looking for a 65 or 70 inch tv that's good for gaming. Don't want to spend over $2000 if I can help it.

http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/

Anything with "Okay" or above will be fine for gaming, Any TV made in 2013 about 1500 dollars will be awesome. Sony usually wins at both of these. I got a Samsung and I can't really notice any input lag so I'm talking about differences of frames in fighting games or something, if you're that hardcore.

The more bells & whistles the TV advertises, the better it will look in general (Smart TV, 3D, 120hz etc). Don't think of these as gimmicks, once you have them you'll really enjoy them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Been seeing those curved displays + OLED + 4k. They look great. And they're definitely dropping in price. I hope early adopters love them so they drive the price down and in 5 years I might get one too :shobon:

Curved displays look very cool once you're in a proper room, that's an interesting tech.