Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Is this thing just idiotic to buy?

http://www.amazon.com/LE48FHDF3300ZTA-48-Inch-2-Year-Limited-Warranty/dp/B007EM7NES/ref=sr_1_3?s=tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1356997614&sr=1-3

400 bucks and it claims hell of refresh rate, etc, whereas I look at ~600 name brand panels and they seem to have lesser features. Such as this one. http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-47LS4500-47-Inch-LED-Lit/dp/B0096FB9K0/ref=sr_1_4?s=tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1356998017&sr=1-4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Any recommendations on the light strip backlights that sync to the action on the TV via an HDMI box? The Phillips product is very expensive, and the cheaper stuff on Amazon seems super scammy!

https://www.philips-hue.com/en-us/explore-hue/propositions/entertainment/sync-with-home-theater
This is the product, to be clear.

Thanks!

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
A bunch of the Amazon ones are HDMI passthroughs, but i don't really trust them. This camera looks a little dumb, but if it works with low latency, I'm in. So cool!

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Hey, I asked about the reactive LED strips a week ago, and I picked up the nanoleaf kit and I'm pretty happy with it. Managed to connect it to both phones, and it's on my iot WiFi network. The strip itself is high quality and bright. The software to calibrate is good, my wife likes it too!

There's a bit of latency though, which I'm sure only I am noticing, and my crummy TV isn't dark enough and so a very dark scene sometimes casts a brighter light than it should. Overall, it does what I want, which is too be a good TV back light. It also increases the perceived dynamic range which is neat.

On that note, we have a 10 year old Vizio TV. What's a good, cheap workhorse ~60 inch 4k screen now? I have to assume I'm not going to end up with lower IQ in any way whatsoever. We use an Nvidia shield for all TV watching functions, and have an analog 2.1 system, so rca/headphone out would be preferred. I'm thinking maybe Xmas gift for my wife.

Thanks again.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I got a 65" Class OLED S90C based on the sizing recommendations and jeez Louise this tv is huge. Set it up today.

This is my first nice tv. My old one is a decade old and like 30”. The images are almost too detailed - it messes with me lol.

:siren: Are there any settings I should change for a fresh out of the box S90C?
  • I know a bunch of tvs from awhile ago had automatic motion blurring.
  • Light and contrast seem good.

i think you can look up your tv's optimum settings. (rtings?)

It's likely though, that you want to turn off whatever interpolation/frame generation technology on it, try turning off dynamic colors, maybe turn off ALL the image enhancements and enable them back from there. I'm sure someone has more specific advice.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Thank you for this! I followed the recommendations on that website and everything looks great :)

New problem: I cannot verify my new Samsung account. It keeps rejecting the pin that it emails me. I tried to follow up with customer service and the wait was 7 hours!!!

Can I install new apps to the tv without having a Samsung account? That’s really the only thing I need - I can’t figure out how to install HBOMax without a Samsung account

my opinion is to use an nvidia shield TV to run all of the apps that I would want. Connect the TV to update firmware once and a while, but don't let it on your network otherwise.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Soundbars are bad and dumb. Here's a thread for your question.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3384469

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

codo27 posted:

Hard to recommend the Shield anymore though, unless you can get it for cheap. I only ever use it for chromecasting now, I use the native Roku interface

Why?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Triggered! Bought one, it's coming on Tuesday.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
So I ordered that $400 dollar TCL that everyone's so hot on, THEN read the reviews, which sound reassuring.

My question is that I have an nVidia shield 2017, p2897, which appears to have HDR and 4K, I know it doesn't have the nvidia upscaling, and also that the TV in question has lousy upscaling (which rtings says is more about SD content.

If I watch most of my media on Plex, is SD content going to suffer coming from the Shield TV? (does not have fancy AI upscaling) Is the Shield TV essentially obsolete? Do I dare use the built in Roku software, or do I do the thing that I think is right which is to not let the TV touch the internet except to update firmware?

Thanks!

Hmm, according to this it supports HDR10, but not dolby vision? That going to be a problem?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_Shield_TV#Models

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 5, 2023

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Wildtortilla posted:

My replacement TV was delivered yesterday and it’s not broken! It looks great in action, though the speakers aren’t as good as my old Vizio. I’ll have to figure out a sound solution eventually but for now it’s fine.

Good recommendation, thanks!

I'm pretty happy with it too. However, like the rtings review stated, I'm not happy with the scaling on even 1080p content. Also, the Google TV on it is much snappier in 4k than my 2017 Nvidia shield TV. Do we still think TCL is leaking our data to the Chinese? Or do I need to buy a new shield TV for superior upscaling?

I installed it on the sly on my wfh day, hid the boxes and waited for my wife to notice the change from the 10 year old 1080p Vizio 46" TV. She didn't even notice! God damnit, I thought I would get some cred. Ugh

Also, I like that 100$ nanoleaf led kit.

Thanks for the tips and advice, all

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 9, 2023

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I've had issues with settings resetting, too. The thing did need to massively update, which has changed things a bit. Still not sure whether to go with the Google TV on the TV or use my old shield.

From the update time, it seems the TV might have very slow storage or CPU or both. The GUI is pretty responsive in general, though.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Broken controller or screen maybe, but mostly broken.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I just replaced my 2017 shield TV with my $400 TCL that a few of us got, and it's a bit of a downgrade except that the TCL's interface is smoother at 4k, and the TCL supports Dolby Vision. Also having less wires and things plugged in is nice, too.

I probably would have stuck with a more modern shield TV especially one with the Nvidia scaling tech.

It's true that they are a little old and overpriced, but they get software updates and the hardware does work with minimal BS.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Don't know if it's still available but for the last few dozen posts there's been a 55" TCL in play @ $400 that no one is too mad about. It's much better than your 10 year old TV.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
You can, in fact mount it. Use a masonry bit to make your holes and then use masonry anchors to secure it. Ezpz. I did it!

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah, post pictures. There's all sorts of mounts that can extend as far from the fireplace as you need.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Is that lens distortion or is that thing really looming over the room?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
You need some room treatment. Carpet on floor, acoustic tiles behind speakers, etc.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
You install an extendable mount at the proper height. The TV is going to be there for ever so no issue with putting holes in the fancy moulding or tile.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Getting above 60 fps is a pretty big deal if you play games that require reflexes.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Rtings mentions something about disabling Automatic Brightness Limiting (ABL), although I don't know what it would make the blacks bright.
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c2-oled

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Shield Pro has Nvidia upscaling to 4k that might look better than your TV's scaler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Find an attractive looking set of Tower speakers? If you're not allowed to do something that's not a sound bar, then find a good one.